Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thanks guys! Useful data points. If you don't mind sharing, I'm definitely interested in number of guests too. We both have huge and engaged extended families, so a small wedding is pretty much off the table (unless she takes my suggestion to elope...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We did a destination wedding to avoid a massive guest list. Still ended up with 55 people but it was much more manageable than a few hundred and no one had their feelings hurt by not getting invited. We also had a big cookout closer to home afterwards for those who couldn't come to the ceremony.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
We have around 100 we're inviting, but lots of those are my family in France, so probably we'll be down to 40-50 for the actual wedding. We're planning a small wedding/lunch reception and then hosting a big party at our house that night for everyone who wants to get drunk or baked and dance/jam the night away. I know weddings are supposed to be where everybody comes together instead of segregating friends groups, but we have a bunch of heathen friends who don't care about ceremonies and a bunch of christian family who don't like alcohol, so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

Thanks guys! Useful data points. If you don't mind sharing, I'm definitely interested in number of guests too. We both have huge and engaged extended families, so a small wedding is pretty much off the table (unless she takes my suggestion to elope...).

Yeah we had lots of people we were supposed to invite but we just said no to aunts and uncles we hadn't seen in like five years. If you actually have a close relationship with like 200 of your relatives then I can understand, otherwise the whole family politics of your mom being angry because her sister's step-daughter's boyfriend is not going to be in the family photos, balanced by a perfect counterpart from the in-laws is totally :psyduck: to me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

tuyop posted:

Yeah we had lots of people we were supposed to invite but we just said no to aunts and uncles we hadn't seen in like five years. If you actually have a close relationship with like 200 of your relatives then I can understand, otherwise the whole family politics of your mom being angry because her sister's step-daughter's boyfriend is not going to be in the family photos, balanced by a perfect counterpart from the in-laws is totally :psyduck: to me.

Yeah, fortunately for my life, unfortunately for wedding planning, we really do have close relationships with a huge group of family and friends. It's not family politics I'm worried about.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Grumpwagon posted:

Please keep posting this stuff! Very interested in hearing about wedding costs in a BFC mindset.

40 dollars at the town hall. Wore clothes we already owned, ate cake that I baked at my mother in laws house.

We definitely used the savings in buying our house, which we enjoy infinitely more than any memories of a more luxurious day. We are two guys though, so it helps neither was pressured from birth to spend a fortune on this day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

poopinmymouth posted:

40 dollars at the town hall. Wore clothes we already owned, ate cake that I baked at my mother in laws house.

Per your username, it sounds like you didn't have high expectations for food and refreshments anyway

moana posted:

We have around 100 we're inviting, but lots of those are my family in France, so probably we'll be down to 40-50 for the actual wedding. We're planning a small wedding/lunch reception and then hosting a big party at our house that night for everyone who wants to get drunk or baked and dance/jam the night away. I know weddings are supposed to be where everybody comes together instead of segregating friends groups, but we have a bunch of heathen friends who don't care about ceremonies and a bunch of christian family who don't like alcohol, so.

I felt like 95% of the planning for my wedding was done for the benefit of other people. It's silly.
I totally get why people who get married later in life (or for the second time) have very different weddings than younger people.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Grumpwagon posted:

$7000 all in. My sister did our photos, her boyfriend was the DJ. 125 people came, had open beer and wine bar. It was about $5k in food and drink. $400 in flowers, $800 for the dress, miscellaneous for the rest.

Married at a cool old English manor. Married on s Sunday afternoon so we got the place for free.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's still helpdesk, but more focused for a smaller company. This place that sells automated kiosks for like, workplace snack bars and poo poo. But it starts at 36k a year, which is 6k more than I'm making now.

After I accepted the job offer and posted earlier I got a call and another interview tomorrow with Comcast Spotlight and during the phone interview earlier they said they could beat that job offer. So I'm goin in for an interview tomorrow morning before I go to the recruiter for the first job to sign paperwork. I guess this is like monitoring and reporting on their tv ad insertion. I'm kinda iffy on it but I'm gonna hear them out. Both places run 24/7 so either can potentially have crap hours but The Comcast gig would be 4-10s.

When it rains it pours, I guess.

Only crap thing is my employer match on my 401k contributions hasn't vested yet, so I'm losing like a grand and a half. It's not a lot in the long run and the higher pay more than makes up for it.

But anyway, I finally did it, I've been saying for a while that I've basically budgeted as hard as I can already and what I really needed was more income, and now I've got more income. Super psyched but I'm also not looking forward to putting in my 2-week notice. I just know it's gonna be a big thing at work because I'm on a small team. But gently caress it, it's always gonna be bad timing for my company, they'll just have to deal with losing me.

Maybe if they still weren't dragging their heels on getting me the raise I was promised six months ago I wouldn't have been looking for a new job so hard.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 19, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
On the wedding cost front, I'll add a comparatively high data point: ~$20K for 95 guests. Roughly half of this was venue rental and food service cost, and most of the rest was the honeymoon. We saved up our cash for two years to be able to pay for everything up front (and to give ourselves plenty of time to plan exactly what we wanted), so we didn't saddle ourselves with debt for this. I wouldn't change a single thing about what we did, everything was amazing.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

revengeanceful posted:

On the wedding cost front, I'll add a comparatively high data point: ~$20K for 95 guests.

I'll add an extremely high data point: ~$40,000 for 150 guests.

Now, I'll preface this by saying that my fiancee and I would have been happy with a $5,000 wedding. We actually just went to one last week out at a county forest preserve that was super laid back and we both said to each other "I could totally do this." So why does our wedding cost as much as a downpayment on a house?

For starters, we are getting married in Chicago at the request of my fiancee's parents. My fiancee and I currently live in a Midwest college town a few hours from Chicago and Indianapolis (as do my parents), but my fiancee's family is from Long Island. They still view everything west of New Jersey as "here there be monsters" territory on the map to a certain extent, so they wanted to make sure that all the family friends they want us to invite don't have to travel far after landing in Chicago. Fair enough, I suppose, but Chicago is way more expensive than our city. And both sets of parents keep adding people to the list, even though we've already sent out save the dates.

The good news for the two of us is that both sets of parents are footing nearly the whole bill. Both sets of parents have also been great savers, carry very little debt, and still pull good household incomes, so it's not like this is setting them up to eat dog food as retirees. So I'm happy to cede control of venue, etc. to them if they're paying and care more than I do about throwing a big bash.

But I am convinced that my $40K wedding isn't going to provide $35K worth of better memories over a $5K one.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's still helpdesk, but more focused for a smaller company. This place that sells automated kiosks for like, workplace snack bars and poo poo. But it starts at 36k a year, which is 6k more than I'm making now.

After I accepted the job offer and posted earlier I got a call and another interview tomorrow with Comcast Spotlight and during the phone interview earlier they said they could beat that job offer. So I'm goin in for an interview tomorrow morning before I go to the recruiter for the first job to sign paperwork. I guess this is like monitoring and reporting on their tv ad insertion. I'm kinda iffy on it but I'm gonna hear them out. Both places run 24/7 so either can potentially have crap hours but The Comcast gig would be 4-10s.

When it rains it pours, I guess.

Only crap thing is my employer match on my 401k contributions hasn't vested yet, so I'm losing like a grand and a half. It's not a lot in the long run and the higher pay more than makes up for it.

But anyway, I finally did it, I've been saying for a while that I've basically budgeted as hard as I can already and what I really needed was more income, and now I've got more income. Super psyched but I'm also not looking forward to putting in my 2-week notice. I just know it's gonna be a big thing at work because I'm on a small team. But gently caress it, it's always gonna be bad timing for my company, they'll just have to deal with losing me.

Maybe if they still weren't dragging their heels on getting me the raise I was promised six months ago I wouldn't have been looking for a new job so hard.
I'm really glad you finally got a new job, man! Good work. Hopefully you can get off the phones and into real work in the future, but being proactive and increasing your income is ftmfw. Nice work!! Now I need to do the same...in 6mo. Why did I agree to lock myself into my position on a project? Now that I am all gradumcated I want more money, and in my field...! Ha.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm glad to see all these low numbers because based on the people I've met $100k weddings are totally normal. That's the price of .5-2.0 homes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm glad to see all these low numbers because based on the people I've met $100k weddings are totally normal. That's the price of .5-2.0 homes.

You could buy nearly 20 yurts for that price! :monocle:

Hmm, do I want a wedding or a commune?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

You could buy nearly 20 yurts for that price! :monocle:

Hmm, do I want a wedding or a commune?

Weddings are cheaper if you do it in bulk; there's an economy of scale. If you marry one woman for 20k, marrying like 5 at once is gonna be like 30k, tops. Especially if they're related to each others; you'll slim down the guest list that way.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
We actually made a profit from getting married. Wedding cost ~23k, unexpected money gifted from guests and family was ~30k.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I interviewed with Comcast and while it sounded nice, my recruiter (who has contractors working at the same position I was interviewing for) convinced me into taking the job I accepted on Wednesday.

I pretty much agreed with him that there was a lot better opportunity for growth at the small, growing company, and I'd be learning a lot more skills that would be leverage-able into future jobs if I decided I wanted to go somewhere else.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

FrozenVent posted:

Weddings are cheaper if you do it in bulk; there's an economy of scale. If you marry one woman for 20k, marrying like 5 at once is gonna be like 30k, tops. Especially if they're related to each others; you'll slim down the guest list that way.

As someone living in Utah, currently saving for a wedding (~14k to add to the wedding chat), I will keep this in mind.

In other news, have a car payment again. Ugh. We were hoping my fiancee's hoopty would last another couple of years but it got to the point where we had just dropped ~$2k into it and were looking at another ~$2k. Damned thing was a 2000 Cadillac with 180k miles that got absolutely terrible gas mileage.

Ended up replacing it with a 2010 Ford Fusion with about 40k miles. Should have the loan completely paid off (while still saving for the wedding) in less than a year. At least the savings in gas expenditures should help offset the car payment somewhat.

Halting the buildup of our emergency fund sucks but at least we were able to tap it for the down payment without wiping it out.

Swear to hell this process is a matter of two steps forward, one step back.

(and you're welcome for reigniting the car chat derail.)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FrozenVent posted:

Now you tell me :doh:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Grumpwagon posted:

Please keep posting this stuff! Very interested in hearing about wedding costs in a BFC mindset.

We weren't full-on BFC when we got married, but we've always been somewhat frugal.

We're living in CA but we're both from the east coast, so we had a destination wedding in Vegas. No, not at a drive through chapel, it was nice and off the strip.

I think we ended up paying $11,000 for the wedding, dress and my tux rental included.

The bachelor party in Vegas is another story.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Steam Sale just started. Go play your backlogs instead

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Naw man I budgeted for the sale in advance!!! :shepspends:

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
About $20k for a 100 person wedding in NYC. Honeymoon not included and I actually won my DJ in a blogger giveaway.

We had BBQ and an open wine and beer bar. I kind of want to regret how much we spent, and yet I can't think of any other way we would have done it and still had the kind of party we wanted.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
About 5k for I dunno, I guess 100-150 people? And a third of the money went to a plane ticket to fly out one of my wife's brothers from Germany. I don't know how everything was set up, but I do know we got the locations the wedding and reception free since we're mormon, and one of my wife's friends was the DJ. In any case, her parents paid for everything, which is what I expected; I wasn't aware that the tradition of the bride's family paying for the wedding was dying out.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cicero posted:

I wasn't aware that the tradition of the bride's family paying for the wedding was dying out.

The tradition of paying the groom to buy the bride from the family like a commodity has been dying out in recent years, yes. :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Everybody knows the richer family pays for it all, and both sides hate the other for it.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Dropped a chunk of change into one of my student loans today. Should be getting a big pay cheque from my side job in a few weeks, so I'll have it (the highest interest loan) paid off. I'm also waiting for my discount brokerage account to get opened, so I can start investing. I even have my ETFs and asset allocation picked out!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

KoB posted:

The tradition of paying the groom to buy the bride from the family like a commodity has been dying out in recent years, yes. :v:
How is paying for a wedding "paying the groom to buy the bride"?

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Ours looks like it will end up running about 10k, which is 3k more than we'd planned but still not as bad as a lot of weddings I've heard about. Hopefully we'll get some of that back in gifts since food is the primary cost. No way we would have shelled out 20k tho. I had a coworker tell me he was careful to have his wedding in Mexico so that it would *ONLY* run him 50k, which boggles my mind.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My sister's getting married in the fall and the budget for the dinner alone is six figures. I've been sitting in for stuff like the food tasting and flower arrangement viewing, it's pretty crazy.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cicero posted:

How is paying for a wedding "paying the groom to buy the bride"?
Its a custom going back, I believe, thousands of years. Much like the dowry. (Maybe very similar, I am not positive and don't feel like googling, I know dowry is a transfer of parental wealth to the groom. Like paying for a wedding.)

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Couple friends of mine got married last year and they had a simple wedding, I'm not sure how much it cost but it was likely frugal because they are modest people. What got me was that while the groom was paying for the reception, the brides father insisted that there was a full open bar. Apparently when the argument first came up the groom and her dad left not on speaking terms. My friend wanted open beer and wine, with cash liquor, which I find totally reasonable, and thats what it ended up being. In my opinion, if he wanted the open liquor he could have ponied up the difference.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Wow, bride's dad is an rear end in a top hat for insisting on that but not paying for it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I was just poking around my auto insurance policy and discovered it listed a job I had 2yrs ago. I changed it to my current job and added my degree, and I'm getting a $58 prorated return on the policy (PIF, of course) and a $61 discount on next period. Winning!

Juanito posted:

Wow, bride's dad is an rear end in a top hat for insisting on that but not paying for it.
No joke. A few decades ago, he would have paid for the whole thing because that was the normal thing to do...People are bags of dicks.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I'm about to make a financially unsound decision.

I want to move!

The place is bigger, has a yard, and I could FINALLY have a cat! The rent is $65 more a month and the pet deposit would be sizable. Plus, I'd have to buy a washer and dryer (~$700). And pay utilities, which I don't now.

BUT I WANT A CAT. :colbert:

My Nana would probably help with the washer and dryer… at least that's what she said on the phone today. (I didn't ask! She's a millionaire. She likes to buy stuff. I let her buy me more than I probably should… Thanks Nana!!)

I had been saving for a cross-state move, but my boyfriend and I broke up… so I put all of that money into my Emergency Fund. So that progress would take a hit. It is currently at $2870.00, the goal for the end of the year was $4200, but once I knew I wasn't moving I had planned to have it at $5,000 in November. [I'm a tenured teacher so pay is very stable and predictable and will only end when I want it to.] I would also be willing to sacrifice some of my vacation fund if I had to (currently has $825). I also paid a $650 deposit at my current place, I think $400 is refundable… it's in decent shape for me having lived here 5 years.

Ugh I know it's a bad idea but I want to so bad! Maybe when I go look at the place Monday it will be gross or something.

Here are some specifics so you can all yell at me if you want:

Take home pay: ~$2600/mo. It will raise a bit starting with my end of Sept. paycheck, but I'm not sure how much yet. ~$100 maybe?

Current Budget:

Rent would raise to $715, plus whatever WSG would cost. So my yearly raise might just about cover the raised costs!!! (lol)

Note: I overpay my car payment by $101/month, which I don't want to quit doing.

Is there a way to estimate how much WSG would run? I will make sure to ask when I tour the place on Monday.

Edit:

Found out that Garbage will run $10/mo, Sewer ~$21, and Water …? Looks like around $30 or so depending on usage. So WSG: $75 to be safe. That's not as bad as I thought.

Altogether that's $140 more per month… Hmm! Probably doable.

Justifications all up in hurr.

spinst fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 20, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You can call the utilities and ask what the average has ran for the last year or 2 and they will let you know. Well any of the good ones will.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spinst posted:

Justifications all up in hurr.
$600 a month on car and $100 a month on retirement, and you don't own a house. Do you get a pension with your teaching job?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

$600 a month on car and $100 a month on retirement, and you don't own a house. Do you get a pension with your teaching job?

It's the $75/month that's got me all :psyduck: (that's an irregular expenses, right?).

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

Uh… I spend 400 on the car (payment is $299, but I pay extra). I put 10% pre tax (~$370) into a 401(a) and yes I will get a pension as well. The $100 is just because I can afford to put a little extra away. Not sure where you got the $600 on the car from? Edit: Ah, I get it. I put a little away for maintenance, car insurance… gas is more right now because it's summer, and I drive more. $75 in gas usually covers it. Washington State has expensive gas. :'|

tuyop posted:

It's the $75/month that's got me all :psyduck: (that's an irregular expenses, right?).

? The $75 a month is what the Water Sewer and Garbage bills would likely add up to. Utilities where I live are insanely cheap.

Or are you talking about the haircuts? I get my hair done every 7 or 8 weeks. $100 with tip. I don't care what you think, my hair is fabulous.

spinst fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

By BFC standards her budget isn't frugal, but it is frugal compared to most Americans, I think.

spinst posted:

I don't care what you think, my hair is fabulous.
...ok?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 20, 2014