Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How we all forget Whistles the Clown.

In fairness, that was before MSPA, and he also finished and released a draft version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of waiting on things, I just noticed the other day that the it's been like nine months since the most recent Homestuck/Problem Sleuth books came out. I'm really curious if the later acts will actually make it to print at this rate.

I know the dude is busy, but reading the author commentary is a great way to review the story. Here's hoping the Act 4 books shows up sometime.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I like the Adventures of Equius and Nepeta and a Bunch of Concussed SBurb Mobs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Speaking of waiting on things, I just noticed the other day that the it's been like nine months since the most recent Homestuck/Problem Sleuth books came out. I'm really curious if the later acts will actually make it to print at this rate.

I know the dude is busy, but reading the author commentary is a great way to review the story. Here's hoping the Act 4 books shows up sometime.
I think his full attention is on the game right now, as it looks like he vastly underestimated the time it would take and does not want to gently caress up a million dollar project. Once that is finished he might do churn out another book just to rekindle interest and then get to back to work on ending this thing.

But basically we probably won't get any status updates on Homestuck until the game is done. The gigapause is probably going to be a year long at this rate.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This is just speculation, but the sidebar on mspaintadventures.com has held Hussie's/What Pumpkin's convention schedule for some time now and the last one listed is New York Comic Con from October 9th to 12th. New York Comic Con is a fairly big event and given that the timing would make it nearly a year from the announcement of the gigapause it wouldn't surprise me if they premiere the game there or announce the end of the comic around then.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
For video game kickstarter projects, add a month to the release date for every 20% the game gets funded over budget. I'm expecting July 2015 at the earliest.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

tinaun posted:

For video game kickstarter projects, add a month to the release date for every 20% the game gets funded over budget. I'm expecting July 2015 at the earliest.
So what you're saying here is Star Citizen will never get released :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RZApublican posted:

This is just speculation, but the sidebar on mspaintadventures.com has held Hussie's/What Pumpkin's convention schedule for some time now and the last one listed is New York Comic Con from October 9th to 12th. New York Comic Con is a fairly big event and given that the timing would make it nearly a year from the announcement of the gigapause it wouldn't surprise me if they premiere the game there or announce the end of the comic around then.
They signed up for that months ago, and it was probably way before they had any real idea of when the game would be finished.

Either way, we'll have to hear something soon, because it's been about six months since the last Kickstarter update, we've had no news about Homestuck the comic since January, and we're going to be passing the game's original release estimate shortly here.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
We're going to hear something soon, and that something will be Hussie going "Oops, it's delayed!" and then it never comes out, at all, ever. The end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Freak Futanari posted:

We're going to hear something soon, and that something will be Hussie going "Oops, it's delayed!" and then it never comes out, at all, ever. The end.

It ended like it started, slowly and I hated it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just got an email, there was a pretty big kickstarter update with things that almost look like info, if you squint at them.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
It was Hussie saying 'The people who made PB winter bottom are making the game and we have no idea when it will be done and it might not be 2014.'

So yeah, estimations that Hussie would do that were on the mark.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

There's also news that Ryan North did a lot of work on the scenario, though! That is excellent news! :toot:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

There's also news that Ryan North did a lot of work on the scenario, though! That is excellent news! :toot:

Prepare for the first six rooms of the game to be repeated endlessly.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Hooray, information

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So we know the actual development team making it? Has anyone played PB Winterbottom, can they testify how good that is?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Cleretic posted:

So we know the actual development team making it? Has anyone played PB Winterbottom, can they testify how good that is?

PB Winter bottom is a not-very-good puzzle platformer with 'indie quirk and charm' (translates into bad, repetitive gameplay design and unpolished art direction).

It could have been a flash game. That's the feeling I had playing it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Winter Bottom was originally a student project, that got turned into a full game when the creators graduated.

I know, because I was in the same program a few years later and they still had the student-project poster hanging up on the computer lab wall. :shobon:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Gist of the update:

- The Odd Gentlemen is the dev team.
- Planning, writing, and design are essentially done at this point, meaning the project is largely out of Hussie's hands at this point (though I suspect he is naive as to how much input he will still be making)
- Co-written by Ryan North
- May or may not be released in 2014

So there you go

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I still think that Gaslamp would have been the perfect studio to make the game. Unfortunately they're in the middle of making their own hopelessly ambitious thing that will never live up to anyone's expectations. Oh well.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
This email only went out to Kickstarter backers? I only went in through Paypal and I've gotten no such notification.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hussie should've gone with Nintendo or Valve. Either one would've been a perfect fit.

"Please understand..."

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hussie should've gone with Nintendo or Valve. Either one would've been a perfect fit.

"Please understand..."

"After nine years in development, we hope it's been worth the wait."

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

pandaK posted:

"After nine years in development, we hope it's been worth the wait."

pffhahaa

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The game can take as long as it likes, I'm not bothered. Still holding out for the end of Homestuck, could really use an update on how that's coming along.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I sure am glad they managed to find a developer whose main claim to fame is a quirky zany puzzle platformer, and... some game for Playstation Home i've never heard of. I am filled with confidence.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It is going to be super bad and that is a shame, I guess.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Urgh KC Green you just can't do sbahj. Please understand.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

"[b posted:

paranoid[/b] randroid" post="431279644"]
It is going to be super bad and that is a shame, I guess.

"[b posted:

I guess.

"[b posted:

"[b posted:

paranoid[/b]" post="431279644"]

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Blackheart posted:

Urgh KC Green you just can't do sbahj. Please understand.

I dunno, I kinda like this sbahj reloaded. It mantains the suckiness of the original while exploring a different style.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Woah, it's a KC Green comic where the punchline is that someone makes a silly face.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I got bored with PB Winterbottom and didn't finish. The idea was fun for the first few levels but didn't last, and the forced whimsy didn't do it for me. I kind of forgot about it until now. This makes me revise my expectations down a notch.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hi KC Green

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I never played Winterbottom, but I'm glad people's expectations have been tempered. I mean, they were way too high to begin with. This was never going to be the Homestuck dream game, with pick-your-own classpects and multiplayer and everything else tumblr dreamed the game had.

I'm assuming it'll be a game you play in a couple hours, with lots of dialogue and some simple inventory-based puzzles. :shrug:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Look on the bright side, if the game ends up full of convoluted and poorly thought out mechanics, well, that's keeping with the spirit of sburb right there

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I never played Winterbottom, but I'm glad people's expectations have been tempered. I mean, they were way too high to begin with. This was never going to be the Homestuck dream game, with pick-your-own classpects and multiplayer and everything else tumblr dreamed the game had.

I'm assuming it'll be a game you play in a couple hours, with lots of dialogue and some simple inventory-based puzzles. :shrug:

As long as we get a lot of hussie and north dialogue I'll be satisfied.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Sburb Citizen, a game by Chris Roberts.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bobulus posted:

That's what 2000000$ gets you these days? There's been some neat indie games that were funded for far less.

also winterbottom was HORRIBLY optimized for a 2d indie platform game, when I tried it it barely ran, so this is disappointing to me.

AriadneThread posted:

Look on the bright side, if the game ends up full of convoluted and poorly thought out mechanics, well, that's keeping with the spirit of sburb right there

All signs point to things going in the other direction, though.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Rita Repulsa posted:

That's what 2000000$ gets you these days? There's been some neat indie games that were funded for far less.

also winterbottom was HORRIBLY optimized for a 2d indie platform game, when I tried it it barely ran, so this is disappointing to me.

All signs point to things going in the other direction, though.

Don't you remember Meenah stealing all of it? That was canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

Well, look at this way:

- It's probably more like $1,250,000 after kickstarter fees, backer rewards, etc.
- Broken Age had a $3,000,000 budget, which they used entirely on Part 1, which is about 4 hours of gameplay, though those four hours are well written and visually pleasing.

I'm expecting something close to Broken Age in length. What we've seen of it has involved 3D models, which afaik is actually more expensive than the 2d models Broken Age uses, so who knows what the graphics will be like. Still, if it has a bunch of entertaining dialogue, I'll be satisfied.