Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

75% chance of being written by a white person.

100% chance of being written by a butthurt crybaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Don't dismiss what he said because he might be white, that's racist. Against white people. The most vicious kind of racism.

How do you know it's a he? Misogynist.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

Do you even stop and read what you write before you post it? Are you loving five?

At first you sounded like someone who didn't know what he was talking about pretending he totally knows what he's talking about, and now you sound like a petty idiot trying to oneup someone else. Jesus H Christ. Sit down, stop chewing your foot vigorously, take it out of your mouth, and shut up. You said something stupid. We've all done that. Just own up to it and it'll be forgotten. Though if your red text is any hint, that's not going to happen.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

E-Tank posted:

Do you even stop and read what you write before you post it? Are you loving five?

At first you sounded like someone who didn't know what he was talking about pretending he totally knows what he's talking about, and now you sound like a petty idiot trying to oneup someone else. Jesus H Christ. Sit down, stop chewing your foot vigorously, take it out of your mouth, and shut up. You said something stupid. We've all done that. Just own up to it and it'll be forgotten. Though if your red text is any hint, that's not going to happen.

Bro it's really not cool to red text-shame people.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

Bro it's really not cool to red text-shame people.

So that's a yes then? You are in fact five years old? 'Cause that's the level of intellect and maturity I'm seeing here.

Welp, Any hint of anybody ever taking your argument seriously has pretty much evaporated. Now it's just time to sit back and watch. :munch:

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 20, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

E-Tank posted:

So that's a yes then? You are in fact five years old? 'Cause that's the level of intellect and maturity I'm seeing here.

Whoah, ageism!! Not cool!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zelder posted:

edit: KILL WHITEY. AVeryLargeRadish, when you get to this, I want you to know, that I unironically mean this and that there is no irony in my statement. Take me at face value!

Ok, will do. But I think it's not a very nice sentiment and I'm sorry you feel that way. :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Everyone calls me "he" and I'm not offended so I don't see why that word should offend anyone else either.

You're just pulling the sexist card on me to stifle opposing views and make yourself the center of attention. You're the real sexist. An anti-man sexist. The most vicious kind of sexism.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 20, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone calls me "he" and I'm not offended so I don't see why that word should offend anyone else either.

You're just pulling the sexist card on me to stifle opposing views and make yourself the center of attention. You're the real sexist. An anti-man sexist. The most vicious kind of sexism.

You got me. I am so ashamed. I am unworthy to call anyone bro and I apologize for the hateful nature of my words.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

vintagepurple posted:

Who gives a poo poo about what some idiot slacktivists on tumblr say?

Like this entire loving forum. But hey, villainizing a social media platform makes it easy to not give a poo poo about anything.

I find it funny that people think minorities having a voice on the Internet is a bad thing when this is the one place not on this gay earth that is actually equal for anyone who can access it. It's literally a gender and race blind platform if you want it to be, and the fact a lot of people actively work against that is a little frustrating.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Zelder posted:

In general, no one is commanding that you shut up. No one has that power over you. They're just asking that if you're a clueless white guy, that you should be quiet and listen (until you are knowledgeable and can contribute to the conversation) when minorities are talking about issues surrounding race.

Just like men should be quiet and listen (until you are knowledgeable and can contribute to the conversation) when women are talking about women's issues.

Just like non-surgeons should be quiet and listen (until you are knowledgeable and can contribute to the conversation) when doctors are talking about open-heart surgery.

So on and so forth. I don't think it's an echo-chamber, or marginalizing, to ask people who are ignorant on a topic to listen, learn, and then eventually speak. That's how...you stop being ignorant.

When my Russian girlfriend thinks that Russia should put homosexuals to death and expel muslims from the country, should I listen to her and agree because Russians know what is best for their country, or should I mansplain to her and use cultural imperialism to change her mind?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

on the left posted:

When my Russian girlfriend thinks that Russia should put homosexuals to death and expel muslims from the country, should I listen to her and agree because Russians know what is best for their country, or should I mansplain to her and use cultural imperialism to change her mind?

Neither. You should explain how that is a toxic viewpoint without besmirching her entire existence or culture. You can do that without insulting her entire being - unless her entire being resolves around hating gay people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

Telling a woman that hating gay people is wrong isn't mansplanation, in any sense of the word. Well okay, I guess if you said something like "I understand you hate gays because you're a dumb broad", so if that's what you mean I would recommend against such a counterproductive approach.

But anyway serious question: where do you live, and what's your heritage? I'm not going to make any kind of an issue of it, but I'd be interested to know where your perspective is coming from. Are you American?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 20, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

But anyway serious question: where do you live, and what's your heritage? I'm not going to make any kind of an issue of it, but I'd be interested to know where your perspective is coming from. Are you American?

I'm an American citizen, but haven't lived in America since college. Family is from a mixture of South America and Central America.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
Should all whites be exterminated?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Maybe just all the ones in this thread? Then once we're gone, someone can take stock and figure out if that was enough.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Only if you eat what you kill. Hunt whitey responsibly.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
told you so

The Mash posted:

Maybe just all the ones in this thread? Then once we're gone, someone can take stock and figure out if that was enough.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Q: What do you call a dead white person?

A: A good start.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Only if you eat what you kill. Hunt whitey responsibly.
The most dangerous game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have a hard time finding the specific article*, but are you really sure about this? Not talking federal systems or institutions, but ones that cover much smaller geographic areas. Is the idea that the institutions of a solidly majority black city might mirror those of solidly majority white cities, except with black people on top, really so unfathomable?

Yes. Systemic racism goes way beyond the local level - it's a society-wide ill, and even minority enclaves will be ultimately under the rule of a white elite, either directly or through systemic disenfranchisement of the minority community.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This assumes they get their job by handing out resumes, not through connections made while in school.

African-Americans are tremendously underrepresented at the top levels of the business world, so it looks like connections aren't very effective for black students either, at least not at schools like Yale or Harvard. Over 90 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are white males; blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and women combined make up less than 10 percent.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

on the left posted:

Yeah man, gay rights and religious issues are purely Russian issues, and only Russians would know what's up on that front. Gays and Muslims only exist in relation to Russians, so we gotta go through them first to understand these inscrutable figures. You nailed me to the loving wall on this one, man.

Edit again: Technically, it would be Amerisplain (or FREEDOMSPLAIN :911:), because we're talking about her Russian nationality, not her gender. If you're going to be pithy you gotta come correct, son.

Edit: also natetimm I know you're poo poo posting, but keep ignoring me and I'll have you brought before the High Black Council, where Sharpton, Kanye, and half of Obama dole out racial justice.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 20, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zelder posted:

Yeah man, gay rights and religious issues are purely Russian issues, and only Russians would know what's up on that front. Gays and Muslims only exist in relation to Russians, so we gotta go through them first to understand these inscrutable figures. You nailed me to the loving wall on this one, man.

Edit again: Technically, it would be Amerisplain (or FREEDOMSPLAIN :911:), because we're talking about her Russian nationality, not her gender. If you're going to be pithy you gotta come correct, son.

Edit: also natetimm I know you're poo poo posting, but keep ignoring me and I'll have you brought before the High Black Council, where Sharpton, Kanye, and half of Obama dole out racial justice.

They've been infiltrated and neutered. The new council is Al Roker, Wayne Brady and Clarence Thomas. Goddamn white people ruining everything.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zelder posted:

Which half?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The lower half :getin:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Zelder posted:

Jesus, dude, don't let people know about the council. It's already hard enough now that the RZA let the Wu-Tang secret slip out.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

natetimm posted:

Well first, it's not the trans-species or whatever tumblr blogs I'm referencing when I talk about Tumblr activism in the context of this thread. It's the ugly, slacktivist, echo-chamber bullshit ones that create this giant feedback loop of privilege checking alongside an endless contest of who is the most oppressed and how. It was once a running joke but more and more I see the bullshit mentality leaking into other facets of life and gaining traction and legitimacy. In all honesty I can understand why a black person would want to tell a white idiot like SedanChair describes to shut up, but I don't think trying to shame or force them into doing it, especially somewhere as volatile and anonymous as the internet, is a reasonable expectation. Do I think a feminist or black activist giving a live talk in person on issues that impact them has the right to ask those people to shut the gently caress up while they do so? Absolutely. Do I think that right extends to every idiot on the internet whose opinion happens to coincide with those activists? No. If you're going to bring your opinion into the maelstrom of terrible opinions that is the internet and shout them at people, you don't get to hide behind that barrier of protection anymore. Someone's capability of marginalizing you is already greatly reduced by the relative amount of anonymity and impersonal nature of the net itself, and that's the chance you take when you bring it to such a huge open forum.

Take your meds

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Enjoy posted:

Take your meds

My biggest regret is not breaking that up into paragraphs.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Zelder posted:

If she feels that resisting homosexuality is resisting western imperialists who try to force cultural change overseas, and resisting muslims is resisting invasion, why is she wrong?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

on the left posted:

If she feels that resisting homosexuality is resisting western imperialists who try to force cultural change overseas, and resisting muslims is resisting invasion, why is she wrong?

...Because homosexuality has little to do with western imperialism? :wtc:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

I don't know man, Southerners felt that keeping slaves was resisting cultural domination and colonization by industrial and mercantile interests. It's what they feel, who can really say it's wrong? Is anything wrong? *Buys, rapes female slaves, sells the children for cash*

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The answer is that gay rights are human rights and human rights transcend regional bias.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think the admin right now is using gay rights as part of certain imperialist power struggles (like with Russia) but that doesn't mean that gay rights aren't real and deserving of recognition.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I look forward to the return of Leopold II-era labor practices.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes. Systemic racism goes way beyond the local level - it's a society-wide ill, and even minority enclaves will be ultimately under the rule of a white elite, either directly or through systemic disenfranchisement of the minority community.
I'm not sure if you're repeating what I'm saying, or disagreeing?

Main Paineframe posted:

African-Americans are tremendously underrepresented at the top levels of the business world, so it looks like connections aren't very effective for black students either, at least not at schools like Yale or Harvard. Over 90 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are white males; blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and women combined make up less than 10 percent.
The median age of Fortune 500 CEOs is 55, which means the African-Americans who would compete with them were born before the Civil Rights Act. I think you would have to do a much more thorough overhaul of the system to counteract the one these people were born into if you wanted people of that generation succeeding to that degree. I think a better measurement here would be the demographics of the management a rung or two below them, since changes have to propagate from the bottom to the top. (Not that I expect those to be 100% demographically balanced either.) The most effective solution would probably be to just enforce affirmative action on companies, so they become demographically balanced in their management. Could be phased in from the bottom too, if discrimination has resulted in there being too few qualified candidates for the higher positions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

on the left posted:

I'm starting to think the only reason you're dating a lunatic homophobic, xenophobic Russian is because she was the only person who could understand your cocaine-fueled logic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mans posted:

I'm starting to think the only reason you're dating a lunatic homophobic, xenophobic Russian is because she was the only person who could understand your cocaine-fueled logic.

His logic is pretty simple: see unlike progressives, he's an anti-racist, unafraid to uncover and denounce racism wherever he may find it. Now he doesn't bother with racism against blacks, or Arabs, or with misogyny or homophobia or anything so pedestrian as that; the progressives have that covered so no need. He's here to keep progressives honest by pointing out what they ignore: anti-white racism. Anytime a minority talks about the racism he faces every day, on the left is there to remind him that hey a black person somewhere in the world said something racist once. Why aren't we talking about that? We need to go over and over how racist black people are until...oh whoops! We're out of time!

Gosh, awfully sorry we didn't get to black people's concerns, but we can do that next time. Assuming not a single one of the world's billion or so black people does anything racist in between now and then, of course!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

His logic is pretty simple: see unlike progressives, he's an anti-racist, unafraid to uncover and denounce racism wherever he may find it. Now he doesn't bother with racism against blacks, or Arabs, or with misogyny or homophobia or anything so pedestrian as that; the progressives have that covered so no need. He's here to keep progressives honest by pointing out what they ignore: anti-white racism. Anytime a minority talks about the racism he faces every day, on the left is there to remind him that hey a black person somewhere in the world said something racist once. Why aren't we talking about that? We need to go over and over how racist black people are until...oh whoops! We're out of time!

Gosh, awfully sorry we didn't get to black people's concerns, but we can do that next time. Assuming not a single one of the world's billion or so black people does anything racist in between now and then, of course!

Isn't his root issue more tied up in cultural and regional bullshit than actual racism, though?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Isn't his root issue more tied up in cultural and regional bullshit than actual racism, though?

No, click the "?" under his name. His root issue is racism, this question is just some lovely analogy.

Essentially his question is: "Why do you criticize ignorant white people who don't know what they're talking about when they say racism is over; but you don't criticize LGBT activists who do know what they are talking about when they say that homosexuals aren't pedophiles? Mighty inconsistent of you progressives, not treating ignorant opinions the exact same as informed ones. Mighty inconsistent indeed."
:chord:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

natetimm posted:

The answer is that gay rights are human rights and human rights transcend regional bias.

This would certainly throw a wrench in the "be quiet when X group speaks" logic if you can step in and override a group's wishes if they are fundamentally incompatible with yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What group are we talking about here? People who think a butthole is to poop out of?

• Locked thread