Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Wadjamaloo posted:

This seems like an odd complaint, I would think the app would get better the worse your phone is because its saving you even more time.

It puts an overlay over other apps, so the phone has to render both at once, along with animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to make Kii have a number pad layout like SwiftKey?

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I'm assuming the answer is "no," but do any of those apps that claim to speed up your phone help any? I've not even had my droid4 for a year and it's starting to get to this point where it goes incredibly slow and just hangs up a lot of the time. Sometimes the launcher freezes, or texting freezes when it opens and maybe I'm changing to landscape mode. I was just wondering if there's any option OTHER than completely resetting the phone or rooting it and removing a bunch of stock crap.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MaxDuo posted:

I'm assuming the answer is "no," but do any of those apps that claim to speed up your phone help any? I've not even had my droid4 for a year and it's starting to get to this point where it goes incredibly slow and just hangs up a lot of the time. Sometimes the launcher freezes, or texting freezes when it opens and maybe I'm changing to landscape mode. I was just wondering if there's any option OTHER than completely resetting the phone or rooting it and removing a bunch of stock crap.

No.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MaxDuo posted:

Why would the duration you've had the phone make a difference? It came out in February 2012 and wasn't top of the line then, so I think it's probably just going to be showing its age. There isn't too much you can do, except temper your expectations or upgrade.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If it got the 4.3 update and you haven't factory reset it since then, you probably don't have TRIM running yet, which basically stops the phone going to poo poo after a bunch of use. A reset should kick it in.

I have no idea if any of this applies, just throwing it out there

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

If it got the 4.3 update and you haven't factory reset it since then, you probably don't have TRIM running yet, which basically stops the phone going to poo poo after a bunch of use. A reset should kick it in.

I have no idea if any of this applies, just throwing it out there

Pretty sure that phone got left on 4.1.2 because of the chipset it has.

Yeah, the Droid 4/razr/Bionics were never great performers to begin with. Those first generation dual core phones were pretty brutal when you look back at them.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Which SMS apps do you guys recommend? I have an S5 (running Nova Launcher, not sure if that matters). I started off with Hangouts, which is okay, but I didn't like that there wasn't a good popup for incoming messages. I installed the venerable SMSPopup app that I've used on my previous Android phones, but it didn't really work as well as I expected so I ditched it. Now I've tried this app called Smart Notify for a few days. It has a wide array of features, but at the expense of being clunky to the point where texting people almost feels secondary, plus I'll have to buy the full version if I want to actually use it efficiently, since it isn't just ad-supported, it also masks your inbox. Also, I'm not totally sure if this app is causing it, but I never used to have freezes and sluggish performance before I installed it... Just saying.

Here's a list of features I'd like to see:
- A popup that works correctly on 4.4.2
- Some visual customization, doesn't have to be crazy
- Doesn't hog resources
- Prioritizes quick messaging over shitloads of features that I probably won't use.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm interested in the above too, with the addition of the feature of being able to keep trying to send a message if there's no mobile signal (should have checked signals before buying this house...).

I didn't know the best place to ask, but does anyone know a good source of 1080x1920 wallpapers which are actually sharp? I've found plenty of sites with wallpapers of that resolution, however so many of the images are just low quality ones that have been blown up and are either pixellated or have JPEG artefacts. I want to have something that really takes advantage of this screen.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Anjow posted:

I'm interested in the above too, with the addition of the feature of being able to keep trying to send a message if there's no mobile signal (should have checked signals before buying this house...).

I didn't know the best place to ask, but does anyone know a good source of 1080x1920 wallpapers which are actually sharp? I've found plenty of sites with wallpapers of that resolution, however so many of the images are just low quality ones that have been blown up and are either pixellated or have JPEG artefacts. I want to have something that really takes advantage of this screen.

Try androidwallpape.rs

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Anjow posted:

How about using Muzei.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

The Casualty posted:

Which SMS apps do you guys recommend? I have an S5 (running Nova Launcher, not sure if that matters). I started off with Hangouts, which is okay, but I didn't like that there wasn't a good popup for incoming messages. I installed the venerable SMSPopup app that I've used on my previous Android phones, but it didn't really work as well as I expected so I ditched it. Now I've tried this app called Smart Notify for a few days. It has a wide array of features, but at the expense of being clunky to the point where texting people almost feels secondary, plus I'll have to buy the full version if I want to actually use it efficiently, since it isn't just ad-supported, it also masks your inbox. Also, I'm not totally sure if this app is causing it, but I never used to have freezes and sluggish performance before I installed it... Just saying.

- Doesn't hog resources
- Prioritizes quick messaging over shitloads of features that I probably won't use.

I've been using Handcent for ages and it seems to do everything you need I think.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Casualty posted:

- Doesn't hog resources

I've tried a few and keep coming back to 8sms.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would the duration you've had the phone make a difference? It came out in February 2012 and wasn't top of the line then, so I think it's probably just going to be showing its age. There isn't too much you can do, except temper your expectations or upgrade.

Well when I first got it, it went fine and wasn't sluggish or anything. Now it seems to almost freeze and just nearly stop all the time. My Droid3 started doing this after a year and a half and this one started at about half a year. I figured it was from upgrades aimed at faster phones but.... this is still lovely. I wouldn't have this problem if they'd just make a Droid5 or another good phone with a physical keyboard. Shame it looks more like they're just never going to do that again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anjow posted:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MaxDuo posted:

Well when I first got it, it went fine and wasn't sluggish or anything. Now it seems to almost freeze and just nearly stop all the time. My Droid3 started doing this after a year and a half and this one started at about half a year. I figured it was from upgrades aimed at faster phones but.... this is still lovely. I wouldn't have this problem if they'd just make a Droid5 or another good phone with a physical keyboard. Shame it looks more like they're just never going to do that again.

Might I suggest a factory reset?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

I've tried a few and keep coming back to 8sms.

Seconding 8sms.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

big mean giraffe posted:

Seconding 8sms.

I've been using Textra lately, it's pretty good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I wish there was an app like Muzei, but for gradients or something that reflected the time of day (kind of like the Playstation 3 dashboard)

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
I'm looking for an app that will allow me to record video while multi-tasking--that is, record a video (using front camera) while viewing another app on the screen. It doesn't have to be super stealthy, just need it for the functionality. I've been through the app store and see a variety of "spy camera" options, but many with mixed reviews and some quite expensive. Does anyone here have experience with such an app that will be able to offer a recommendation?

Thanks!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Casualty posted:

- Doesn't hog resources

I've been using EvolveSMS. It just updated with PushBullet support, so I can reply using pushbullet popups.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mr. Bubbles posted:

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to record video while multi-tasking--that is, record a video (using front camera) while viewing another app on the screen. It doesn't have to be super stealthy, just need it for the functionality. I've been through the app store and see a variety of "spy camera" options, but many with mixed reviews and some quite expensive. Does anyone here have experience with such an app that will be able to offer a recommendation?

Thanks!

Tell us more about your voyeur aspirations.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

vyst posted:

Tell us more about your voyeur aspirations.

Not quite--looking for such an app to use when I propose. Having a notification at the top would be fine, it doesn't have to be sneaky. I just want her to be able to read something on the screen and record her reaction.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Not quite--looking for such an app to use when I propose. Having a notification at the top would be fine, it doesn't have to be sneaky. I just want her to be able to read something on the screen and record her reaction.

Don't propose using your smartphone for gently caress's sake.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

For gently caress's sake, I'm not. Also not looking for advice on proposals--just looking for this app recommendation.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

Surely you know what works for his potential spouse better than him. After all, all women/men are alike, right?

Christ.

Mr. Bubbles: I think you're just going to have to use one of those spy cam apps and just test it out to make sure it does what you want.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You might see if there's any dash cams that can use the front camera. They usually have a mode where they run in the background so you can use navigation or something at the same time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since Dalvik will be going away in favor of ART in the next version of Android, here's a pretty extensive list of apps that will and will not work with ART.

http://www.androidruntime.com/list

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Speaking of ART, I had enabled it shortly after receiving my launch Nexus 5. I had started using the Tinder app sometime in January and it was working fine. Then they pushed an app update back in May.

When I started the app after the update, the app gave me a screen that said it didn't support ART and I wouldn't be able to use it. This is AFTER using it for 4 months with ART enabled.

What the gently caress kind of backward development is that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well really you were using an untested and unsupported feature, and a lot of people who do that and run into problems complain about it and trash apps on the reviews. Even if it mostly happens to work, they're not guaranteeing it and they don't want to be held responsible.

Think of it as a patch!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is there anything like a goon-approved app list? I've recently got a new HTC Desire 610 which is a loving world of difference away from my old Desire C that only operated under severe duress.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I wish there was an app like Muzei, but for gradients or something that reflected the time of day (kind of like the Playstation 3 dashboard)

This has been my wallpaper for a few months now (I switched from Muzei): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.amimetic.android.livewallpaper.evolution.one

It's a simple gradient that changes a few times a day. I'm not sure if it's based on the time of day or not.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Am I correct in assuming there's no way to have Google Now display through (over? under?) the nav bar and status bar without using the GEL?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Stevie Lee posted:

This has been my wallpaper for a few months now (I switched from Muzei): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.amimetic.android.livewallpaper.evolution.one

It's a simple gradient that changes a few times a day. I'm not sure if it's based on the time of day or not.

Amazing. Thank you.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for an app that'll automatically back up photos/videos as they're taken to a specified Google Drive folder?

So far I've tried IFTTT (which missed some photos, and uploaded others only when the app was opened), Cloudvault (which failed to connect to Drive despite being authorised, and appears to be abandoned), and of course G+ (which I've bored you all to tears moaning about before).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Google Sync just break every day or something? I fastboot updated my N7 2013 to 4.4.4 and now Sound Search, Google I/O, and Google Movies are just broken and refuse to fix.

It's caused the tablet to wakelock for hours, losing 10% of battery in one hour thanks to Google Services.

Should I just stop the syncing for those three and try again later or something?

My phone (N4) isn't having any problems at with Sound Search, but it's stuck on Movies.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a specific request and I don't know what thread it belongs in.

I would like to be browsing my PC and be able to click on a phone number in google maps or something, and have my android phone dial that phone number.

Is there any way to integrate my phone with my PC in such a way?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

khy posted:

I have a specific request and I don't know what thread it belongs in.

I would like to be browsing my PC and be able to click on a phone number in google maps or something, and have my android phone dial that phone number.

Is there any way to integrate my phone with my PC in such a way?

I think Chrome to Phone still works, and it does exactly that.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

spincube posted:

Any suggestions for an app that'll automatically back up photos/videos as they're taken to a specified Google Drive folder?

So far I've tried IFTTT (which missed some photos, and uploaded others only when the app was opened), Cloudvault (which failed to connect to Drive despite being authorised, and appears to be abandoned), and of course G+ (which I've bored you all to tears moaning about before).

Does it have to be Google Drive? The Dropbox app will do this flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there some way to keep my screen from ever coming on while it's in my pocket? For some reason my Moto X will not stop video calling people through hangouts.

• Locked thread