Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

trouser chili posted:

I've got a VCDS. Got any sources for reasonably priced ECUs?
It depends on the car you have. The newer Audis & VWs have their ECU "locked" to the car (the ECU, TCM, and BCM are all "locked" together so if on is replaced the car goes into safe mode). When you swap it the car will go into safe mode and you'll need a dealer to hook it up to their computers to unlock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Well that's obnoxious. Nothing you can do with a VCDS to unlock? I want to open up my 14' JSW TDI a little bit, but I'm terribly afraid of losing warranty.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Well that's obnoxious. Nothing you can do with a VCDS to unlock? I want to open up my 14' JSW TDI a little bit, but I'm terribly afraid of losing warranty.

You can replace all of them at the same time or deal with the tattletales in each of them that will void your warranty if you cause them to dig in far enough.

How is this surprising? It's hardly unique to VAG or even a new thing.

gently caress with the power train (software or otherwise) and you jeopardize the warranty that was intended to cover factory components with factory programming.

Is it just a VAG thing to not understand this? Everyone I deal with on D-Maxes understands that their warranty is poo poo as soon as I plug in.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Well, in my case the last "new" car I've owned was and still is a 1998 Integra Type-R. I'm pretty sure you can easily gently caress with the ECU without those shenanigans. Everything else I've owned as toys has been older and typically carbureted. Meanwhile I'm always hearing about how easy it is to gently caress around with fuel injected computer controlled cars, but it's loaded with all these caveats. I'm not really bitching though. I'm just curious. I work in IT security, so picking things apart (especially in manners not intended) is my MO.

I would guess that my car does not have a TCM, being that it has a manual transmission. Correct?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

No, the manuals don't have a TCU. I forgot to mention that the radio/navigation/whatever head unit is also tied to the ECU, TCM, and BCM so swapping out the head unit will also put the car into safe mode.

It used to be really easy to mess around with the cars but people ended doing things like raising the boost through the roof and then putting the stock ECU back and making warranty claims when their engines blew up (the B5 twin turbo Audi S4 is a perfect example).

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 20, 2014

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I just bought my first new car - a 2013 VW Beetle. What's the general rule of thumb as far as the impact of mods on warranty?

I gather from the last few pages that chipping is definitely a no no, but how about other performance-minded mods? I'm specifically thinking about installing sport springs, a new air intake, and possibly a new exhaust down the road.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You should be fine--the dealer must prove the parts/mods have caused the problem to deny a warranty claim.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Had some body work done on my car (replaced a door) and I've got the ESP light stuck on, as well as steering wheel controls inoperative/flaky. Any common harnesses to check for this? Shop guys are great and are willing to scan codes and dig into it some more, but wondering if I can do any background research. 2006 A4.

Cruise is out too; did some more detailed probing and got steering angle sensor as the primary fault. I'm thinking lack of steering angle sensor data means ESP is disabled (since it doesn't have the data it needs), but not sure why the cruise is disabled too, thinking it's a harness issue in the column. Apparently the sensor is optical, so maybe when they detailed the interior some poo poo got onto that sensor.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also, which VCDS kit/level do I want to get as someone who wants to poke at all my ECUs and be able to read/write at will?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I think you'd want the VCDS License with HEX-USB + CAN. You can plug just about any Windows PC into this thing and recode to your hearts content. $350

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

I just bought my first new car - a 2013 VW Beetle. What's the general rule of thumb as far as the impact of mods on warranty?

I gather from the last few pages that chipping is definitely a no no, but how about other performance-minded mods? I'm specifically thinking about installing sport springs, a new air intake, and possibly a new exhaust down the road.

Historically, exhausts and intakes haven't been issues for VW like ECU modifications have, but dealers can still raise a fuss, especially for related pieces (e.g. MAF and O2 sensors).

Suspension doesn't really matter to them so long as you don't start whining when your bushings wear faster or something.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mr. Apollo posted:

No, the manuals don't have a TCU. I forgot to mention that the radio/navigation/whatever head unit is also tied to the ECU, TCM, and BCM so swapping out the head unit will also put the car into safe mode.

It used to be really easy to mess around with the cars but people ended doing things like raising the boost through the roof and then putting the stock ECU back and making warranty claims when their engines blew up (the B5 twin turbo Audi S4 is a perfect example).

Which cars are you referring to that the head unit causes issues? I have an aftermarket head unit in my '11 and there were no issues. I assume you're talking about these new cars where the head unit is also basically a computer to control all the bullshit in the car. As far as addons that won't kill your warranty, exhaust and suspension are good. Changing the intake is useless in most turbo cars, if anything go with a front mount intercooler if you want to make any gains on the air going in.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

I think you'd want the VCDS License with HEX-USB + CAN. You can plug just about any Windows PC into this thing and recode to your hearts content. $350

2013 Beetles can get away with a Micro-CAN for $100 less. If he wants to work with older (think pre-mk5 golf) cars, then he'd need a HEX-USB+CAN.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

veedubfreak posted:

Which cars are you referring to that the head unit causes issues? I have an aftermarket head unit in my '11 and there were no issues. I assume you're talking about these new cars where the head unit is also basically a computer to control all the bullshit in the car. As far as addons that won't kill your warranty, exhaust and suspension are good. Changing the intake is useless in most turbo cars, if anything go with a front mount intercooler if you want to make any gains on the air going in.
I know on Audis it causes issues. I have a 2013 S4 and swapping out the head unit, even for an identical one, will lock up the car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mr. Apollo posted:

I know on Audis it causes issues. I have a 2013 S4 and swapping out the head unit, even for an identical one, will lock up the car.

Good to know. I was planning on keeping the stock unit when I get the R anyway just because I know they tie a lot of the driving/suspension controls to it.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Can someone enlighten me on how to fill a drained automatic transmission with new oil in an '03 Passat? Fill it up when it's dead cold, run it, then continue to fill it until it hits 34C? 45C? Running temp (loving hot)? The Bentley is really ambiguous on how/when to do it and VW doesn't make it easy.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I Am Not Spor posted:

Can someone enlighten me on how to fill a drained automatic transmission with new oil in an '03 Passat? Fill it up when it's dead cold, run it, then continue to fill it until it hits 34C? 45C? Running temp (loving hot)? The Bentley is really ambiguous on how/when to do it and VW doesn't make it easy.

I don't seem to have the data for VWs, but on my Audi the system says the procedure is as follows:

With a stone cold transmission, engine off, transmission in Park, remove inspection plug
Insert your filler hook (VAG1924) into filler hole
Pump fluid into transmission until ATF drips from hole
Start engine and let run for 20 seconds, then turn off
Start engine, leave running
Tighten inspection plug
Depress brake pedal and shift select level through all selector lever positions, leaving in each position for 10 seconds
Place selector in N
Increase engine RPM to 2000 and maintain for at least 60 seconds
Place selector lever in position P
Remove inspection plug
Tighten inspection plug

When I followed this procedure, all of the temp values were in line with what you're quoting. The reason it's recommended to use the VAG tool and check internal temps while filling is that the volume can change depending on the temp of the fluid. Different environmental temperatures (shop is really hot or really cold) are enough to cause and over/under fill situation.

Again, this is a procedure for my Audi, not your Passat, but maybe it'll help you make sense of what Bentley is talking about.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I sat in a 2015 GTI SE over the weekend.

Couple of observations.

1) It's really nice inside. It really is nicer than what you would expect. Felt as nice to me as my friends A4 2.0T that I've been in quite a bit.
2) The sunroof is amazing. I don't care for sunroofs, and I don't really want it. But it's really drat cool and I wasn't expecting that at all.
3) I'm 6'2" and 250lbs [yes, pretty fat], but it felt comfortable, and this is one of the first 'compact' cars where I had to actually move the seat forward to comfortably reach the clutch.
4) The standard lights are really underwhelming. I think the lighting upgrade significantly improves the look of the car.
5) The transmission feels really nice. I can't comment on clutch feel, although I suspect it's a bit lighter than I'm used to. But the transmission feels really nice moving through the gears. Nice short throws, positive engagement.

I looked for the red line to go through the lights in the front, but I didn't notice it. Admittedly I wasn't spending a lot of time looking at the car from the front, so it's possible I just missed it. Is that the case? Or is it only the upgraded lights that get the nifty red line in the front headlights?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
For those that don't read the monthly chat threads, I posted this the other day.

trouser chili posted:

Meet my latest retarded decision.

It has 32 valves.

Quattro

and early 90's styling

It's a 1991 Audi V8 quattro, and it's complete with UFO brakes, hooray!

Of course they're warped to poo poo. The car otherwise drives quite well, especially considering the 214,000 miles showing.

Oh, and it sounds glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMuj6wl4sk

I can just sit in the driveway and listen to that over and over again. It's really quite a hoot.

Annnyway, it's got this weird acceleration issue. It sorta surges up 300-400 rpm at a time. The oscillations are at about 2 per second. Some times it more pronounced than others. Given that my wife indicated to me that it puffs black smoke randomly and there is sooty residue all around the exhaust pipe, I'm guessing the surging is cause by some sort of fueling condition. Thoughts?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

tijag posted:

2) The sunroof is amazing. I don't care for sunroofs, and I don't really want it. But it's really drat cool and I wasn't expecting that at all.

Is the sunroof only available with leather seats now?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DrChu posted:

Is the sunroof only available with leather seats now?

I believe so. 2011 was the last year VW was doing a la carte options for the Golf/GTI. I don't want the leather, camera, sunroof or nav but you're stuck if you want something else.

Edit: VW's new site is loving awful. Is there no way to build a particular model? It's letting me select a yellow sportwagen with blue interior, which of course doesn't exist.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bovril Delight posted:

I believe so. 2011 was the last year VW was doing a la carte options for the Golf/GTI. I don't want the leather, camera, sunroof or nav but you're stuck if you want something else.

Edit: VW's new site is loving awful. Is there no way to build a particular model? It's letting me select a yellow sportwagen with blue interior, which of course doesn't exist.

No sunroof if you want plaid seats? WTF, VW?

Also, the new site is awful. WTF, VW? It's not even letting me search dealer inventor for a Golf/GTI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Uthor posted:

No sunroof if you want plaid seats? WTF, VW?

Also, the new site is awful. WTF, VW? It's not even letting me search dealer inventor for a Golf/GTI.

Ah!!! I found this, and it seems to be updated for some of the 2015 models. For example, it has the 1.8T Jetta/Passat, new for 2015, but the Golf/GTI are still the older models.

http://www.vwpartnerprogram.com/vw/vehicle/build

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

So Audi is finally getting on the CarPlay bandwagon (I assume VW is too). They were part of the original CarPlay syndicate but then they disappeared when it was officially announced and Audi said they were teaming up with Android for the "Open Car Alliance". Now they say they'll offer both the Android and CarPlay experience.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Which DSG-equipped cars are known for having issues? Did I hear something about a wet-clutch type that is prone to failure?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm probably not going to drop the $500 on my 1.8T because I may have to sell it within the next year due to my job, but APR is having a sale for the next month in case anyone is considering a tune or any of their products.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Tyro posted:

I'm probably not going to drop the $500 on my 1.8T because I may have to sell it within the next year due to my job, but APR is having a sale for the next month in case anyone is considering a tune or any of their products.

Why did you have to let me know....
Anyone have any preferences for the TDI tunes?

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm seriously considering a 2001 Audi TT Quattro coupe, however most of the reviews I've read online say that after 40k miles it becomes a money pit. Is this actually the case and should I avoid this car?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

alternate.eago posted:

Revo seems to have the best TDI tunes. Not even sure APR does tunes for the TDI.

Hmm, I guess they do now. http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tdi.html Might look into this myself. I think I'm going to keep the TDI a bit longer since I'm going to be blowing my upgrade money on a weekend car.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

alternate.eago posted:

I've heard the Malone tunes are good. They graphically make the same power as the APR one.

I don't have either, this is just from reading other's reviews.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I'm really thinking about the APR one as there is a APR dealer close, they should be able to do it in house in a couple of hours (if they can connect to my ECU, I already called and talked to them about it--tech said occasionally they have cars that they are unable to do because it can't connect), and the DSG flash is optional, where as with the REVO, reviews say it is almost mandatory (and additional :10bux:).

Malone makes you send the ECU to them, I already called the closest Malone Dealer to confirm. I can't have my Daily Driver down for the week or so that it would take.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Took my 2006 A4 in to get the 105k checkup.

Pro: My loaner car is a 2015 A6 3.0.

Con: My "recommended" repairs totaled more than $6,000.
  • Thermostat - $982
  • Timing belt - $1489
  • Engine mounts - $1068
  • Front bushing - $835
  • Vacuum pump seal - $340
  • Brakes (Front/Rear) - $610/481
  • Spark plugs - $220
  • Fuel filter - $118
  • Wiper - $52

Needless to say they're not all being done because that's insane, going to have them do the timing belt since I don't have the time/knowledge to do that easily and I think the rest I'm going to do myself over the summer months since nothing is absolutely necessary to fix to prevent the car from imploding.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this A6 knowing full well that I'll probably never buy another Audi when we get rid of this A4.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hahaha. New plugs and coils are $120 and take all of 20 minutes to install on the BPY engine.

...unless the some rtv gasket shavings were dropped into the plug holes, making for the worlds worst game of operation. Thankfully I noticed before I started removing the plugs. :catstare:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

devmd01 posted:

Hahaha. New plugs and coils are $120 and take all of 20 minutes to install on the BPY engine.

...unless the some rtv gasket shavings were dropped into the plug holes, making for the worlds worst game of operation. Thankfully I noticed before I started removing the plugs. :catstare:
Yeah a lot of it is hilarious, the $52 to replace the windshield wipers that I know for a fact are still good and were replaced last year. The Thermostat one is interesting because the part itself costs about $20 or so, and the DIY guides say it takes about an hour or two to replace and yet they're quoting almost $1000 for it all.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

real_scud posted:

• Thermostat - $982
  • Timing belt - $1489
  • Engine mounts - $1068
  • Front bushing - $835
  • Spark plugs - $220
  • Fuel filter - $118
  • Wiper - $52

Needless to say they're not all being done because that's insane, going to have them do the timing belt since I don't have the time/knowledge to do that easily and I think the rest I'm going to do myself over the summer months since nothing is absolutely necessary to fix to prevent the car from imploding.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this A6 knowing full well that I'll probably never buy another Audi when we get rid of this A4.

:stare: I'm at 90K myself. FWIW, my thermostat died recently and it was ~$550 from a local independent shop to replace it. $480 of it was labor, rest was the part. I checked the DIYs briefly, but my experience with Audi DIY guides is to multiply the time estimate by like 3x.

Wipers is pretty funny though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My A3 with the 2.0 TFSI just past 100k and aside from my cam follower exploding (covered by Audi) it needed ball joints and two wheel bearings. I can only assume that list came from a service writer just running through nearly every wear part on the car and adding it to the list.

I have no idea the condition of your car but I'd hazard it needs the following:

- Dogbone engine mount (not all the mounts)
- Spark plugs
- Timing Belt (good time for a waterpump and thermostat as well)
- OMG CHECK CAM FOLLOWER HOLY poo poo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

alternate.eago posted:

I'm really thinking about the APR one as there is a APR dealer close, they should be able to do it in house in a couple of hours (if they can connect to my ECU, I already called and talked to them about it--tech said occasionally they have cars that they are unable to do because it can't connect), and the DSG flash is optional, where as with the REVO, reviews say it is almost mandatory (and additional :10bux:).

Malone makes you send the ECU to them, I already called the closest Malone Dealer to confirm. I can't have my Daily Driver down for the week or so that it would take.

FYI, all of the reviews of the APR tune I've seen have been very "meh" about it.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
APR is having Waterfest right by my house. I'm definitely going to check it out, might as well spend an afternoon there. I'll probably get tuned and put up a review.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

real_scud posted:

• Thermostat - $982
  • Timing belt - $1489
  • Engine mounts - $1068
  • Front bushing - $835
  • Spark plugs - $220
  • Fuel filter - $118
  • Wiper - $52

It has already been said more than once but these prices are hilarious. For the timing belt, take your car to a reputable independent shop and you will save at least $500 on that job alone. Definitely do the thermostat yourself - I can't believe they quoted you a grand for that. Even $500, like the poster below you quoted from an indi, is laughably expensive for that job. Replacing brakes on all four corners should take a mechanically inclined novice 3-4 hours and parts should cost $200 max. Fuel filter is cake, especially if not a diesel. Even engine mounts should be relatively straight forward (and cheap) with the correct tools.

I don't care how much money you have, there is no reason why anyone should ever bend over and submit themselves to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
Question about the radio on my wife's 2008 Jetta. It has Sirius built in but we've never activated it. Now we would like Sirius but with the ability to move the receiver into a portable boombox. We'd like to only pay for one Sirius subscription. Could we install an external Sirius receiver with a vehicle kit and use the Jetta's existing Sirius antenna? I was planning on having a local car audio place do the work but I don't even know if that's possible or if a new antenna would have to be installed.