Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Beach Bum posted:

I always forget to turn off the cloak for my cloaky poo poo. I wonder why a Sabre is only doing 500m/s or whatever with MWD running until I turn off my :downs:

Speaking of cloaking, and sabres. Isn't cloaking V utterly a waste of SP? I vaguely recall this being mantra'd at me some years ago but gently caress, it was more than 5 seconds ago so I don't know if I'm just making it up.

Also I thought all the dictor fits were just cloak+doublebubble. All the ones in VFK are decidedly, well different. Wiki is unsurprisingly useless at answering this, and the Strat Doc doesn't even list dictors on it. That or I'm totally blind.

Belated thought. I really hope someone doesn't :commissar: me for asking such idiotic questions here and not on gf.com. I can't be arsed to keep up with more than one forum. I just try to keep opsec poo poo out of my posts. Providing I'm not too ignorant about poo poo to know its opsec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

Wulfling posted:

Also I thought all the dictor fits were just cloak+doublebubble. All the ones in VFK are decidedly, well different. Wiki is unsurprisingly useless at answering this, and the Strat Doc doesn't even list dictors on it. That or I'm totally blind.
Reimbursement requirement is (from memory) cloak, prop mod, bubble, and not pants on head retarded.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can no longer fit double bubbles on any interdictor, so thats likely another part of his confusions.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Wulfling posted:

Speaking of cloaking, and sabres. Isn't cloaking V utterly a waste of SP? I vaguely recall this being mantra'd at me some years ago but gently caress, it was more than 5 seconds ago so I don't know if I'm just making it up.

Belated thought. I really hope someone doesn't :commissar: me for asking such idiotic questions here and not on gf.com. I can't be arsed to keep up with more than one forum. I just try to keep opsec poo poo out of my posts. Providing I'm not too ignorant about poo poo to know its opsec.

There is no more double bubble. Dictors can now fit only one bubble launcher but that launcher can fire three bubbles quickly before a long (I think 60s?) reload. Aside from the sabre they all got more fitting room in the same patch. The fits on confluence were up to date when I last looked at them (Atrum maintains the reimbursement fits there) so just use those unless and until you know what you're doing.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
I think that the 3x bubbles in a single launcher vs. a double bubble is better, as I can do a straight line through a group of hostiles on MWD, drop all three, warp off, come back, do the same again, repeat until empty / dead.

Works great when trying to bubble Elmnt's super, even if he did still manage to moonwalk away again.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There is no more double bubble. Dictors can now fit only one bubble launcher but that launcher can fire three bubbles quickly before a long (I think 60s?) reload. Aside from the sabre they all got more fitting room in the same patch. The fits on confluence were up to date when I last looked at them (Atrum maintains the reimbursement fits there) so just use those unless and until you know what you're doing.

Wow I'm out of date on my info. I didn't know that change even happened.

I went to the Sabre page on confluence, and it was blank. Didn't think to check the actual reimbursement page. Thanks for the tip I feel less stupid.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

dotalchemy posted:

I think that the 3x bubbles in a single launcher vs. a double bubble is better, as I can do a straight line through a group of hostiles on MWD, drop all three, warp off, come back, do the same again, repeat until empty / dead.

Works great when trying to bubble Elmnt's super, even if he did still manage to moonwalk away again.

I can't wait for a war. I haven't been able to get much practice doing fleet stuff and when I have I always get killed on my first bubble run.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I think I still have a sabre in 4-E with two bubble mods on it :911:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have Interdictors in queue now and will be at IV in a few days. Time to get a bunch couriered to FD-. :getin:

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

darth cookie posted:

I have Interdictors in queue now and will be at IV in a few days. Time to get a bunch couriered to FD-. :getin:

That actually brings up a question I've wanted to ask.

Some skills like interdictors don't appear to do anything except let you fly the ship or use the item. Is there something I'm missing or is the only reason to train those skills because they might be a prereq to another skill?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Shux posted:

That actually brings up a question I've wanted to ask.

Some skills like interdictors don't appear to do anything except let you fly the ship or use the item. Is there something I'm missing or is the only reason to train those skills because they might be a prereq to another skill?

Not actually true. Look up the Sabre, it gets a 10% reduction in sig radius penalty when MWDing and a 10% increase in small projectile turret falloff for each level of Interdictors trained.

There are a whole bunch of skills that exist purely to extend training times. This is particularly noticeable when training a capital pilot. Advanced Spaceship Command anyone? :argh:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 20, 2014

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

darth cookie posted:

Not actually true. Look up the Sabre, it gets a 10% reduction in sig radius penalty when MWDing and a 10% increase in small projectile turret falloff for each level of Interdictors trained.

ahhh poo poo. I've only been looking at skills in eve-mon that doesn't mention any of that.

*edit - Oh the actual Sabre ship info. gently caress. Thanks.

Shux fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 20, 2014

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
What prevents anyone disrupting providing emergent gameplay at the AT? Is it ruled different to all the other player events?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rapulum_Dei posted:

What prevents anyone disrupting providing emergent gameplay at the AT? Is it ruled different to all the other player events?

It's carried out in Jove space and only the participants are able to get there.

VenusInFurries
Apr 12, 2014

<3 tsalaroth

Rapulum_Dei posted:

It's staged in a system in Jove space, people are teleported there (iirc. ullerrm correct me if that's wrong). Hence you can't really gently caress with it, because you can't get there.

e:f,b.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT
Didn't goons once try to sneak a tower to the tournament system?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You are teleported from your station into the system at one of 16 (4 seperate teams with 4 choices of beacon for each team, I may be wrong about the number of teams though) random beacons, after about a minute or two you are given a prompt to warp to a certain arena at 0-50km. If you take too long, CCP teleports you directly onto the field at 0. There are 5-10 CCP people in system along with the commentators who are actually on the field in shuttles and various other ships including a special luxury yacht thing. Once you are in the arena, if you leave you are immediately killed by a CCP member. Basicly what I'm saying it would be next to impossible to do anything in the short time you're in there without CCP noticing or just blowing you up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rapulum_Dei posted:

The inability to get there has been mentioned, but the other thing you can't do is meta-game in a noticeable way, because eSport ehonouree~~. They added the rules against it after two teams colluded to get to the final together, then staged the final in a way which mocked everyone else for trying. This should have been celebrated as 'uniquely possible in Eve' but because CCP have some dumb notion that Eve will take off as an eSport, they changed the rules to appeal to spectators.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Khablam posted:

two teams colluded to get to the final together, then staged the final in a way which mocked everyone else for trying

This sounds cool, does anyone have a video?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Jack the Lad posted:

This sounds cool, does anyone have a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHvsvAAoBWg

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
was basically a one team for all intents and purposes (or two training partners if you want to look at it that way). its just so happened that both of them managed get to the final match, witch neither of them expected. there wasnt really a plan prepared for such occurance, thus final match turned out lame. evenerds got mad, thinking it was intended to mock or whatever

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Some team should fit passive targeters and alpha the yacht.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can't lock them anyway.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gesadt posted:

was basically a one team for all intents and purposes (or two training partners if you want to look at it that way). its just so happened that both of them managed get to the final match, witch neither of them expected. there wasnt really a plan prepared for such occurance, thus final match turned out lame. evenerds got mad, thinking it was intended to mock or whatever

As I remember it (and as mentioned several times in the linked video) they specifically engineered their run through the finals, so that (assuming they both won) they would meet each other in the final. Either hydra or outbreak had to drop a match at some point to avoid meeting the other at an earlier stage, as I recall. But yeah, having actually achieved it they didn't have much of a set-piece planned or anything.

Kil2/Rise sums up my objection to the rules change in the video [paraphrasing] "I'm sure a lot of people will see this and not like it, and would want to see two teams do their best to shoot each other, but the fact is Eve is not like that, Eve is not that game [..] the competitive people in Eve will respect what they've done".

The AT as it is now (and even arguably before in most respects) really has little to do with Eve. That Mittens thinks this as well is why GSF doesn't have a team (or so I am told).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

We had a discussion in illum about the best way for us to field a team of DST's or mining ships and all deploy MTU's at the same time.

Max speed interceptors orbiting the edge of the arena for the entire match was also discussed.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

vyst posted:

We had a discussion in illum about the best way for us to field a team of DST's or mining ships and all deploy MTU's at the same time.

Max speed interceptors orbiting the edge of the arena for the entire match was also discussed.

This would've been a (wonderful) thing. :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh poo poo eve-bet added MMA. I think I need to waste some isk.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My wallet is poor. Time to experiment with interdictors (Sabres) and scam nerds.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Khablam posted:

The AT as it is now (and even arguably before in most respects) really has little to do with Eve. That Mittens thinks this as well is why GSF doesn't have a team (or so I am told).

GSF doesn't have a team first and foremost because we don't have a group spergy enough to practice as much as is necessary to actually be competitive, and lacking that there's very little reason to make the capital outlay required to purchase even the minimum necessary to be "competitive" (much less the old AT ships for that special edge). If you're not Hydra or PL, the AT is basically expensive advertising and will remain that way until and unless they do some pretty serious revamps to its structure. http://namamai.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/alliance-tournament-participation-and-prize-levels/ goes into more detail on this.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
What about having a tf2-style setup:

1 Bomber
1 BS
2 Interceptors
2 Cruisers
1 BC
2 Logi

Fit for Ewar or whatever.
Again, this could be utterly retarded, but I'd be interested in how it would work out.

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
Highlander style setup might be interesting, one and only one of every ship class. 1 Frigate, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 battlecruiser, 1 battleship.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I would be concerned about headshotting the logi, but I guess that would happen anyway. A lucky MJD smartbomb jump into the frigs would be really funny though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Armor tanked afterburning multispec ships. Nothing but jams in the mids. Jam everyone and everything, start yelling "DO YOU YIELD?" in local over and over again.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Armor tanked afterburning multispec ships. Nothing but jams in the mids. Jam everyone and everything, start yelling "DO YOU YIELD?" in local over and over again.

Literally bring fuckyoufleet.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What about having a tf2-style setup:

1 Bomber
1 BS
2 Interceptors
2 Cruisers
1 BC
2 Logi

Fit for Ewar or whatever.
Again, this could be utterly retarded, but I'd be interested in how it would work out.

OnymousCoward posted:

Highlander style setup might be interesting, one and only one of every ship class. 1 Frigate, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 battlecruiser, 1 battleship.
Slight variations on either of these pretty closely resemble older rule sets :).
At2 was one frigate, one destroyer, one cruiser, one BC and one BS.
At3 started the point system, and made it so you can only chose one BS, and 1 T2 BC + 1 T2 cruiser (inc logi). ECM was banned :v:

ChickenWing posted:

Literally bring fuckyoufleet.
This was tried last year in theorycrafting, it doesn't work well within the points/ships constraints.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wulfling posted:

Cloaking V is a pretty niche skill, but it is not useless. The Cloaking skill reduces the sensor recalibration time of cloaks by 10% per level. In practice, on a ship with an Improved Cloaking Device II (or in a Recon cruiser or non-bomber covops frigate,) it ends up being one second per level, so the long slog to level 5 only affords you an additional second off your recalibration time. Most people in Blackops have it trained, but if you don't spend a whole lot of time in these kinds of ships, you can safely skip training it.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

mynnna posted:

GSF doesn't have a team first and foremost because we don't have a group spergy enough to practice as much as is necessary to actually be competitive, and lacking that there's very little reason to make the capital outlay required to purchase even the minimum necessary to be "competitive" (much less the old AT ships for that special edge). If you're not Hydra or PL, the AT is basically expensive advertising and will remain that way until and unless they do some pretty serious revamps to its structure. http://namamai.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/alliance-tournament-participation-and-prize-levels/ goes into more detail on this.

Heeh. In retrospect, a lot of people missed my point on that article, which is bad on me.

So, the thing is, tournaments are honestly a lot of fun to do. You learn a fuckton by doing it -- both the matches and the practice leading up to them -- and it makes you a better pilot in game (if you care about being good at this game).

That said, you should generally assume that you're not going to win the AT, and that you're going to get absolutely nothing for it in terms of prizes. On average, you are throwing 10-15B down a hole, in exchange for a bit of advertising and making a few pilots better. It's not a great deal, financially speaking, for alliances. But if you've got pilots that are interested in doing it, it doesn't really hurt a ton of alliances to fund a basic run.

If they change prize structures so that more positions get prizes, then this partly goes out the window, and we should start doing it for money as well as advertising.

If I had time, and I thought that I could gather people in GSF to do a run, then I'd do it. However, since I know I wouldn't win, I'd do silly setups that are useful mainly for making the commentators/audience laugh -- something that could get you out of the first day or two of cripplefights (assuming you don't end up in a group of death with Hydra and/or Camel) but wouldn't be a 100% serious comp. Cheap, hilarious/irritating, etc.

Leeroy
Mar 18, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Heeh. In retrospect, a lot of people missed my point on that article, which is bad on me.

So, the thing is, tournaments are honestly a lot of fun to do. You learn a fuckton by doing it -- both the matches and the practice leading up to them -- and it makes you a better pilot in game (if you care about being good at this game).

I would like to be able to participate in the AT tournament at some point, but I'm still learning how to deal with small scale PvP versus large scale engagements. I fought a lot in Fountain last year for the CFC, so I love fleet battles, but I'm not so good at small scale stuff. Great thing about Waffe is that I've had plenty of opportunities to explore both and learn more about my own mistakes and foibles, as well as practicing and developing more situational awareness. Your blog's also helping :toot:

Kinda bummed CCP removed deep space safes after reading your posts on them. I wasn't around when they were a thing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ullerrm posted:

If I had time, and I thought that I could gather people in GSF to do a run, then I'd do it. However, since I know I wouldn't win, I'd do silly setups that are useful mainly for making the commentators/audience laugh -- something that could get you out of the first day or two of cripplefights (assuming you don't end up in a group of death with Hydra and/or Camel) but wouldn't be a 100% serious comp. Cheap, hilarious/irritating, etc.

That sounds like a ton of fun. Maybe next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

eriktown posted:

That sounds like a ton of fun. Maybe next year?

Name it something involving retired old bastards because Kesper used to be the leader of GENTS and Namamai was the leader? of Stimulus. (i think)

• Locked thread