Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've finished creating Hispania, and have a hundred years left to go.

Holy war my north African neighbours? Take Granada back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

recreate the visigothic kingdom

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait where the gently caress did this prisoner come from?

Oh god... age 0?

Oh. Right. His mother who I captured earlier. I'm a monster!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Ofaloaf, Sam.: Please make a culture with Enatic succession allowed so that I can make every single one of my rulers be Molly Millions, thanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man things went horrifically wrong after capturing Norway and Denmark. Two seperate uprisings culminating with my old king poisoning my Queen, leaving her two sons, 8 and 6 to inherit her lands. The entire region fractured back into tiny splinters as everyone stabbed everyone else in the back and it went from three strong kingdoms back into a bunch of petty chiefs.

Four of those wars active are revolts. I really should have jumped on an independence faction but I guess kids cant.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 20, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

You may finally be able to release a project for once :monocle:
It's Sam what done it. Sam's amazing at this.

Lord Tywin posted:

Please tell me that there will be Bush, Kennedy and Clinton dynasties.
I'm not keen on including real-life families in there. There's a few that are obviously meant to represent a certain family, but having actual dynasties and individuals just invites awkwardness.

Tevery Best posted:

Ofaloaf, Sam.: Please make a culture with Enatic succession allowed so that I can make every single one of my rulers be Molly Millions, thanks.
Related to that, is there any way to get a mercenary unit consistently lead by women? I got one with defined enatic open succession, but its auto-generated leaders are all still men and a custom character had to be created just to fill in the role of captain.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god... age 0?

Marry him off to another prisoner once he turns 16, see if they breed in captivity!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god... age 0?

Now you can raise him to love you and hate his real dynasty, raise that boy right.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
So, can you automatically educate a child prisoner, and keep them as a hostage Theon Greyjoy styal? It should be an option at the end of a war to take your enemies heir as a hostage, but make it so he has agency of his own when it comes to marriage.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Bitter Mushroom posted:

So, can you automatically educate a child prisoner, and keep them as a hostage Theon Greyjoy styal? It should be an option at the end of a war to take your enemies heir as a hostage, but make it so he has agency of his own when it comes to marriage.

Yep if you catch them young enough and raise them yourself you'll get the mentor relations bonus as well as converting them to your culture and religion, it's rad.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Ratpick posted:

What's a good start for making an empire-level republic? I was thinking of doing the Old Gods start with one of the republics that's within the De Jure Byzantine Empire (so either Venice or Amalfi) and then somehow working my way towards securing the Empire for myself (probably by making myself a vassal of the Empire first), but I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds. I just really want to make a Roman Republic though.

fool_of_sound posted:

Probably Venice, since it's a de jure vassal of the Byzantines, and it's King level to start the game, so you can't get freely revoked.

This is what I did. Swear fealty right off. You may want to hold off on converting culture/religion since you start as an old fart. Marry your sons to princesses whenever you can. At some point you should be able to elect one of their sons who should now hold a claim. It took about 150 years for me.

While you're waiting for that see if you can holy war / conquest for enough land to create the Kingdom Sicily, and the Emperor will transfer vassals to you because you now hate his guts. Move on to Africa if you get bored.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
We could use another modder or two. Characters are the main thing we need, but event/decision scripting would also be helpful. Hit me or Ofaloaf up on Steam if you're interested.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Has anyone ever seen the HRE suddenly disband upon succession? In my current game I'm playing as Saxony --> Germany, most of the HRE was in one of three kingdoms (Germany, Lotharingia, Bavaria) with a few random dukes scattered around. The King of Lotharingia was the Emperor and his son was set up as heir. When the Emperor died, the HRE just went away, no one has the HRE as their liege anymore and everyone is independent. Lotharingia also seems to have disappeared, having been replaced by its component duchies and counties. The heir seems to have become Duke of Bohemia, though interestingly enough he still has "Prince of the Holy Roman Emperor" as his title.

I haven't had a chance to reload yet and see if I can reproduce this, but does anyone have an idea what might have happened? I'm pretty jazzed because now there are dozens of little independent titles I can invade, but it feels kinda cheap if this was just a bug.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Doesn't the HRE have to be held by a catholic? Maybe the duke of Bohemia is a heretic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pester posted:

Doesn't the HRE have to be held by a catholic? Maybe the duke of Bohemia is a heretic.
Maybe in some mods, but I've seen the HRE go full heresy before in both vanilla and HIP without it disappearing in a puff a smoke. I do recall seeing that (rarely) happen on occasion in CK2+, though.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

It can only be formed by a Catholic, but can be held by anyone. It was (briefly) held by a Tengri emperor in my last run.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've never seen it happen to the HRE, but an independence faction that everyone joins at once and immediately springs on a new/child/foreign ruler can cause that sometimes.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Generally the HRE disbands when everyone joins and succeeds in an Independence faction which leaves the Emperor as the lone ruler, usually a county or two. From there someone or multiple people take his counties and since the Emperor is now unlanded it disbands the HRE.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Related to that, is there any way to get a mercenary unit consistently lead by women? I got one with defined enatic open succession, but its auto-generated leaders are all still men and a custom character had to be created just to fill in the role of captain.
Are the mercenary units named after sport franchises?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Is there ANY benefit to destroying my last kingdom title if I have an empire above it? I seem to remember reading about someone doing just that, but I cannot recall the reason they gave for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gimmick Account posted:

Is there ANY benefit to destroying my last kingdom title if I have an empire above it? I seem to remember reading about someone doing just that, but I cannot recall the reason they gave for it.

Wouldnt it be a bad idea because you get better levy %s from your de jure kingdom vassals than you do outside of it, so if it doesnt exist I imagine you would get fewer levies. Then again if you have an empire level title it may not matter :shrug:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Are the mercenary units named after sport franchises?
Some of them are, like the Arborite Wolverines or the Brave Men of Atlanta. The mercenary unit in question here, though, is called the Nancy Harts.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gimmick Account posted:

One benefit is that you'll lose the negative modifier for de jure dukes in the kingdom (though you'll have to deal with the -50 for destroying the title in the short term.) I never keep kingdom titles, other than very specific situations...like a small Iberian kingdom or something like that.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think I might have figured out what the deal is with the HRE suddenly disbanding in my game. I went back to an earlier save and notice that it wasn't actually the Duke of Bohemia who inherited the HRE, but another guy in the Emperor's family, who was landless at the time he inherited and did not stand to inherit any actual land. After the death of the Emperor, the heir remained landless and received only a strong claim on the HRE. So, maybe if a guy with no land inherits and does not gain land through that same inheritance, the HRE goes away?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I think I might have figured out what the deal is with the HRE suddenly disbanding in my game. I went back to an earlier save and notice that it wasn't actually the Duke of Bohemia who inherited the HRE, but another guy in the Emperor's family, who was landless at the time he inherited and did not stand to inherit any actual land. After the death of the Emperor, the heir remained landless and received only a strong claim on the HRE. So, maybe if a guy with no land inherits and does not gain land through that same inheritance, the HRE goes away?

That makes perfect sense actually. Still sounds kind of a like a bug though, because the personal demesne should have followed the same inheritance as the Empire.

Was the last Emperor also the King of Germany/Bohemia? That's the only way I can see having the county level holdings go to a different person than the one who won the election to HRE.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SeaTard posted:

That makes perfect sense actually. Still sounds kind of a like a bug though, because the personal demesne should have followed the same inheritance as the Empire.

Was the last Emperor also the King of Germany/Bohemia? That's the only way I can see having the county level holdings go to a different person than the one who won the election to HRE.

The last Emperor was the King of Lotharingia. He held four titles: HRE, Kingdom of Lotharingia, Duchy of Luxembourg, County of Luxembourg. He had two sons. The older son died in battle at some point, but had a his own adult son, Ezzo (who is thus the grandson of the last Emperor). The younger one, Engelbert, was heir to the HRE, having been chosen by the electors. It looks like Lotharingia was elective and the electors of Lotharingia chose this guy Ezzo to be the heir. So when the last Emperor died, Ezzo ended up one a one-county Kingdom of Lotharingia and Engelbert got nothing, which apparently disbanded the HRE.

Unclear if this is a bug or not. I guess it's a reasonable outcome in a situation like this where you have two sets of electors who don't agree. I guess the bigger issue is why this unlanded dude Engelbert, who stood to inherit nothing, was chosen to be the HRE heir. Maybe the AI electors intentionally chose him to get rid of the HRE? Or is that beyond what the game's AI could plan?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Was the inheriting revolts bug supposed to have been fixed? Because I narrowly avoided it in my current Iron Man game (had to kill the process to avoid the game saving) but reports seem to indicate it should have been fixed by now.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Are we anticipating Old Gods going on a better sale than 50% for the Steam Summer Sale, does anyone know?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If you can wait: you may as well. I bought Heart of Darkness for Vicky2; and then read the Paradox thread when someone said "It'll be a daily deal!!!"; and its not like the price is going down anyway.

I bought a bunch of the graphical DLC: so I can't talk though...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Basically, can you delay gratification for a maximum of 10 days?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Paramemetic posted:

Are we anticipating Old Gods going on a better sale than 50% for the Steam Summer Sale, does anyone know?

It was discounted along with the older DLCs last time CK2 was a special sale on Steam, and CK2 is basically a lock to feature as a daily deal, so yes, we are anticipating it.

Like Munin implied, you should wait for a special discount until the end of the sale; if on the 30th, none has materialized - which is not going to happen, it'll come - you should buy it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ofaloaf posted:

The current idea for off in that direction was to have a truncated Empire of Mexico (because of course) alongside splinter kingdoms like Laredo and Chihuahua, along with native revivals of the Aztecs and Mayans because, shoot, that'd be cool. Texas would be independent and fragmented, with powerbases in not just the usual suspects like Dallas or Houston, but also places like Texarkana.

Hahaha YES. That is exactly what I was thinking! Now I want to play this mod.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Oh man, A canticle for leibowitz mod. How stoked am I now? (Very, very stoked).

Two questions for you guys!

Is there a way to be a vassal of William in the 1066 start and, after winning the war get land in england? I keep trying and he just sits on a bunch of titles and lands saxons. I really want to play a norman-> english game and claw my way to one of the greater houses of britain.

Second question: For the 867 start, a friend wants to play in the Habbari or in multan and be a muslim indian. What're some fun starts I can do in that general region. I'll be ruler designing anyways, so characters are unimportant.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My ruler managed to sire a bastard at the ripe old age of 10. Welcome to puberty, I guess.

Did Paradox forget to patch this or something? It's the event that lets you tumble a lady during a feast.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
So first game, doing great, a county away from founding Hispania when I ran into a odd bug. Everyone was at war with every mercenary group, Holy order and standing army at the same time.But no war score is shown, and war can still be declared against those groups. For example, I cannot hire the swiss band because we are enemies, however our relationship is in the green, I have no option for peace and it states I need a CB to declare war. Portugal is at war with it's own retinue, leading to an interesting situation of King Sancho assaulting the Garrison of King Sancho in the name of King Sancho. Similar I am at war with both the Holy Roman empire, the byzantine and Norway however if I talk to he emperors I have no war penalty, and I can press a claim against the Holy Roman empire that will start a real war with warscore.

Is this a common bug? And is there a way to fix it? I was about to get my first empire dammit.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

So first game, doing great, a county away from founding Hispania when I ran into a odd bug. Everyone was at war with every mercenary group, Holy order and standing army at the same time.But no war score is shown, and war can still be declared against those groups. For example, I cannot hire the swiss band because we are enemies, however our relationship is in the green, I have no option for peace and it states I need a CB to declare war. Portugal is at war with it's own retinue, leading to an interesting situation of King Sancho assaulting the Garrison of King Sancho in the name of King Sancho. Similar I am at war with both the Holy Roman empire, the byzantine and Norway however if I talk to he emperors I have no war penalty, and I can press a claim against the Holy Roman empire that will start a real war with warscore.

Is this a common bug? And is there a way to fix it? I was about to get my first empire dammit.

It's relatively common with the latest patch. Just save your game, quit and reload it and it should be back to normal.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Captain Novolin posted:

It's relatively common with the latest patch. Just save your game, quit and reload it and it should be back to normal.

Thanks, as another question am I supposed to be able to vassalize peasant revolts? I conquered Barcelona while a revolt was happening and held garrison in a barony. When I won the war the leading of the revolt was count and still apart of the revolt, that had no enemies seeing as Barcelona was no longer independent. He was still kicking around last I checked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Something that is missing from the CK Wiki: you cannot become Samrat Chakravartin as a Jew. Probably not as any non-Hindu, but I haven't had occasion to test.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jedit posted:

Something that is missing from the CK Wiki: you cannot become Samrat Chakravartin as a Jew. Probably not as any non-Hindu, but I haven't had occasion to test.

You can as a Jain (or at least you could when I played it, which was a patch back). I'd imagine
Buddhist would be eligible, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Is it me or is the AI in the current beta patch rather passive?

Nobody tried a holy war on me ever since I converted to Catharism. Before that, I got Jihad-ed once by some Shia duke and nothing else.

The Magyars also seem rather lazy in forming Hungary for some reason.

• Locked thread