Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Dangersim posted:

What was the best performance of the Pep coached Barcelona?

If by best you mean my favorite to watch, it's the 09-10 Champions league semis against Inter Milan.

If you mean greatest destruction, probably the 5-0 rear end whopping they put on Real in 2010. FC Barcelona Real Madrid 5-0 La Lliga highlights: http://youtu.be/0sARgAEAlcY

Trigger warning: Zonal marking link. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/11/30/barcelona-5-0-real-madrid-tactics/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Lmao the music in that YouTube, I had no idea.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Please support the mighty Villa, who will definitely not be in the drop zone after their dynamic signing of Joe Cole.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Lmao the music in that YouTube, I had no idea.

jesus is alive

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Please support the mighty Villa, who will definitely not be in the drop zone after their dynamic signing of Joe Cole.

Please don't talk about transfers. *taps World Cup mod badge*

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

If by best you mean my favorite to watch, it's the 09-10 Champions league semis against Inter Milan.

If you mean greatest destruction, probably the 5-0 rear end whopping they put on Real in 2010. FC Barcelona Real Madrid 5-0 La Lliga highlights: http://youtu.be/0sARgAEAlcY

Trigger warning: Zonal marking link. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/11/30/barcelona-5-0-real-madrid-tactics/

I remember particularly enjoying their demolishing of Manchester United in the Champions League finals as well.

Barcelona and Man U met in the final of the 2008-09 Champions League, when Pep Guardiola was still relatively new at Barcelona and they had started playing tiki-taka but were still devastatingly good on the attack with a front three of Samuel Eto'o, Thierry Henry, and Lionel Messi. In the buildup to the game there was a huge debate about whether Cristiano Ronaldo (who played for Man U at the time) or Lionel Messi was the best player in the world, and the consensus in the English press was that they were roughly the same on all areas except aerial ability, and because Ronaldo was better in the air that made him a better player. Barcelona then won 2-0 with the second goal being an absurd Lionel Messi header:

and everybody was like "wow, maybe the press have no idea what the gently caress they're talking about."

Two years later the two teams met again in the final of the 2010-11 Champions League. By this point everyone knew Barcelona was the best team on the planet and they were well into their tiki-taka phase. Spain had won the World Cup a year previously by playing tiki-taka made up primarily of Barcelona players, but Barcelona's tiki-taka was always more exciting to watch because while Spain had no good strikers and so relied on the opposition to make a mistake, Barcelona's team was built around Messi who was simply godlike at running with the ball and scoring goals, so he added the penetration and excitement that Spain's tiki-taka sorely lacked (Messi scored 53 goals in total that season, for example, in 55 games). Barcelona dominated the game and won 3-1, completely overrunning United's midfield which for some reason was made up of a pensioner, Michael Carrick, and Wayne Rooney. Rooney got a goal back, but United were never really in contention.

The other one that really stands out to someone who doesn't really follow La Liga was the 5-0 destruction of Real Madrid that the Herefore FIFA Fan Zone mentioned. This was the first year Jose Mourinho was managing Madrid, after he had beaten tiki-taka with Inter Milan the season before, and it was the heaviest defeat he ever suffered, and it was in Madrid. It was a sheer dismantling of Barcelona's biggest rival and it was really impressive to watch.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Come on dude, you didn't even post the best angle of that messi header:

Van der Sar being terrified of looping headers was just hilarious in general:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

My best Van der Sar memory is when he got chipped by Dossena and was just like 'yep thats going in'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Come on dude, you didn't even post the best angle of that messi header:

Van der Sar being terrified of looping headers was just hilarious in general:

The VdS picture is good for people who have already seen the goal, I chose the one I did because it helps show just how ludicrously far off the ground Messi was. :colbert:

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Waroduce posted:

why is pl lacking in technical ability?

its not its just a sterotype and harks back to a different age

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fabregas left Barca to come to England at 16, became the best technical player in the league, then went home and couldn't get in Barca's starting 11.

It's not a myth that the leagues are very different. Every player that has played in both talks about it.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

sassassin posted:

Fabregas left Barca to come to England at 16, became the best technical player in the league, then went home and couldn't get in Barca's starting 11.

Not because of his lack of technique, retard.

e: also, "best technical player in the league" is FIFA talk imo.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 20, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

It's not a myth that the leagues are very different. Every player that has played in both talks about it.

What does Fabregas have to do with anything? He was good in both leagues.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
What happened to kaka? I always heard about this guy a couple years ago but never really watched him play at the club level. I remember watching him on the Brazil team in 2010 but dont remember him standing out (then again, that team wasnt very good) Wasnt he considered the next big thing for Brazil? Was he ever good? Overated? Ive noticed that he's absent from this years team

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

blue footed boobie posted:

What does Fabregas have to do with anything? He was good in both leagues.

Barca have sold him for a paltry sum because he couldn't hack it at the club. All that Barca DNA gone to waste because he spent key development years in England. Shame.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

StrungOutFlip posted:

What happened to kaka? I always heard about this guy a couple years ago but never really watched him play at the club level. I remember watching him on the Brazil team in 2010 but dont remember him standing out (then again, that team wasnt very good) Wasnt he considered the next big thing for Brazil? Was he ever good? Overated? Ive noticed that he's absent from this years team

He was incredible for years at Milan, then moved to Real Madrid for an enormous sum of money (iirc, he was the most expensive transfer of all time for about a month, and then they signed Ronaldo and broke that record again) and was just never very good for Madrid. He got injured a lot, stopped playing regularly, got kinda fat, and was generally just mediocre for a player of his quality and price. Went back to Milan recently and was a little better, but he's miles from the player he used to be which is a real shame because he was unreal in his first stint in Milan.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

StrungOutFlip posted:

He went to Madrid and couldn't really get into the first team, then was hampered by injuries and wasn't really fit. Basically his career went downhill fast.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

StrungOutFlip posted:

He was the last person to win the Ballon D'Or (the most prestigious individual prize in football) before the Ronaldo/Messi era began. He was the real deal, kind of like a speedier Zidane. Then he got pretty seriously injured on his knee, and left AC Milan where he was the king to join Real Madrid where he was a substitute at best. Three years rotting on the bench there basically destroyed him, everything atrophied away. He's back at Milan now, where (iirc) he is struggling to get off the subs bench also. It's a case of injury being compounded by poor career choices.

Your god failed you Ricky, he failed you!!!

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 20, 2014

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Ricky did well this last season and was one of the few players to not be a shambolic mess the entire time; he would've started every game if he was fit. He also cut his salary in half to come back. It's all but confirmed that Milan have sold him to MLS though, and that he'll play in Sao Paolo while the Orlando team is set up, like Villa playing in the A League until NYCFC is all ready.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He is indeed heading to the MLS:

Former Brazil playmaker Kaka is in advanced talks with Orlando City over a January 2015 switch to the United States from AC Milan.
The 32-year-old, who played in both the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, would join up with the American franchise ahead of their debut season in Major League Soccer.

loving ORLANDO.... jesus christ...

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
What a sad way to leave Europe. But he'll make a whole fuckton of money so well

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If he plays at anywhere near the level he did last season, he'll be by far the best player in MLS, right?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If he plays at anywhere near the level he did last season, he'll be by far the best player in MLS, right?

with Kaka and Villa there, who the hell knows

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sure, but its wildly hit and miss if those aging stars actually care or if they just phone it in

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
kaka is an honest fotball player he will not phone it in

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Slaapaav posted:

kaka is an honest fotball player he will not phone it in

He's fat as hell now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I love seeing a photo of a footballer who gets fat during a long injury

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

He's fat as hell now

hes not he was raised well enough to not overindulge in eating and get fat

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Kaka was one of the most devoutly religious players in soccer which made his injury extra hard for me to accept - it's not like he was smoking weed, playing video games and getting drunk like that fat (sad story) gently caress adriano, he just hurt his knee and put an amazing career into the tailspin. Kaka was probably my favorite brazillian of his era (2006) and to watch him decline like that was terrible. I hope he makes millions and millions of dollars in Orlando and that I get to chill with him sometime in S. Florida.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Kaka was one of the most devoutly religious players in soccer which made his injury extra hard for me to accept - it's not like he was smoking weed, playing video games and getting drunk like that fat (sad story) gently caress adriano, he just hurt his knee and put an amazing career into the tailspin. Kaka was probably my favorite brazillian of his era (2006) and to watch him decline like that was terrible. I hope he makes millions and millions of dollars in Orlando and that I get to chill with him sometime in S. Florida.

also he is very handsome

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Agreed op, he seemed like a genuinely good lad who meant well

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I don't trust anyone in major world football who claims to be religious, especially a good looking dude. Kaka was probably cleaning up major tail and doing all sorts of moves on Italian ladies that were inconsistent with church doctrine.

Excuse to post the best WC Quote ever:

Andrea Pirlo posted:

Take someone like (Parma striker) Antonio Cassano. He says he’s slept with 700 women but he doesn't get picked for Italy any more. Can he really be happy? I wouldn't be.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
All of the headlines keep saying "Should Costa Rica avoid defeat, England will be put out of the world cup."

I thought England was already out? You can't make it out of a group with 3 points, right?

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
You can but it involves all sorts of black magic (aka goals from Balotelli and Sturridge).

http://ultra.zone/2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage

Put in 2-1, 1-0 and 0-2 for the open games and see Italy with 9 points, everyone else with 3, and England advancing on GD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the posted:

All of the headlines keep saying "Should Costa Rica avoid defeat, England will be put out of the world cup."

I thought England was already out? You can't make it out of a group with 3 points, right?

This was posted in the match thread:

vyelkin posted:

the only chance england has to qualify for the knockouts is if italy beat costa rica, then beat uruguay, and england beat costa rica by at least two goals

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

the posted:

You can get out of a group with 2 points. Italy and England beat costa rica and Uruguay lose to Italy, with a three goal swing, and England go through. So if Italy win 1-0 and England win by 2, England are through.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bogan Krkic posted:

Agreed op, he seemed like a genuinely good lad who meant well

yeah this, i always liked him

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Is only having 3 subs to keep the pace of the game? Why not have unlimited subs when switching halves?

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Geno posted:

Is only having 3 subs to keep the pace of the game? Why not have unlimited subs when switching halves?

It the way it has always been and allowing unlimited substitutions would be a very major change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

It the way it has always been and allowing unlimited substitutions would be a very major change.

It is not the way it has always been, you used to get less :eng101:

• Locked thread