Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

Was in a Rogers corporate store today looking at a Samsung S5.

Noticed that all of the home screen icons are burnt in to the display after a month.

G'work Samsung.

Jesus, I thought that AMOLED screens were better than that these days. I don't remember having a significant burnin problem on my Galaxy Nexus and I had that for 2 years before my Nexus 5.

vvv Oh yeah, I misread, that makes more sense. Still pretty lovely though.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those screens are on 24/7 though aren't they?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

VERTiG0 posted:

Do all carriers force you to get one of their new-style plans if you upgrade your phone through them? I heard recently that Rogers still lets you carry over your old plan, but Bell and Telus don't.

According to MobileSyrup, that ended like yesterday or something. Rogers allowed you to keep your plan as long as it was at least $60 per month before taxes, but not anymore. I think you can get retentions to keep your plan for one last upgrade, but that's it.

Aphrodite posted:

Those screens are on 24/7 though aren't they?

Yes, they run an annoying demo loop that has a mind of its own. That said, I've yet to see a single S5 with that problem, so hopefully it's a rare occurrence.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

Yes, they run an annoying demo loop that has a mind of its own. That said, I've yet to see a single S5 with that problem, so hopefully it's a rare occurrence.

I've seen the S5 on demo at 200+ stores, never once seen burn in on an S5. I've certainly seen it on an S2, but AMOLED burn in isn't really a thing anymore.

FYI that demo loop is to prevent theft too. It's a bitch to remove.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My wife is thinking of switching over to Wind; she's currently using a dumbphone with Telus, off contract.

Anyone have any experience with the Wind signal here in Ottawa? Coverage maps are one thing, but I could use some anecdotes!

Also, what are the chances Vidotron gobbles them up in the next year or so?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Godinster posted:

I've seen the S5 on demo at 200+ stores, never once seen burn in on an S5. I've certainly seen it on an S2, but AMOLED burn in isn't really a thing anymore.

FYI that demo loop is to prevent theft too. It's a bitch to remove.

The phone wasn't running the demo loop at the time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

OilSlick posted:

Well it's apparently not *that* rare because I saw it again today, on an S5 in a Telus store. Snapped a picture with my N5:

Faint, but absolutely noticeable. Good fuckin' work, Samsung.

Edit: Totally quoted the wrong post

grack fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 22, 2014

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
200+ stores, still haven't seen it once. Not that it would matter anyway since no one leaves their phone on max brightness on 24/7 for weeks on end, certainly not on the same screen.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 22, 2014

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

My wife is thinking of switching over to Wind; she's currently using a dumbphone with Telus, off contract.

Anyone have any experience with the Wind signal here in Ottawa? Coverage maps are one thing, but I could use some anecdotes!

Also, what are the chances Vidotron gobbles them up in the next year or so?

The real question is how much does she travel and how reliable a signal she wants available. If she's like me and just wants a phone to have around when she needs it then Wind is the way to go. But if she likes to travel outside the city a lot and has to TEXT TEXT TEXT every minute or so then maybe stick with one of the Big 3.

As far as coverage areas go, the maps are pretty much spot on. Though I only commute from Kitchener to Guelph to Toronto and coverage in those places are pretty good (unless you're inside a building with tons of concrete and metal or underground). So I can't really see Ottawa being worse off.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don't mind if I do... :stare:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Was there a class action lawsuit settlement recently? :getin:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Macys posted:

Was there a class action lawsuit settlement recently? :getin:

No, that's the Customer Lawsuit Recovery Fee, now paired with the GRRF.

Actual talk is the GRRF still a thing they're charging after the "free money for nothing" System Access Fee got thrown out?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I recently switched from Rogers => Koodo. While I have plenty of complaints about the former, I can't say I've ever felt like their data counting was inaccurate in any way.

Koodo, though... not so sure. I'm a heavy user of data, without a doubt - but Koodo shows that I've blown through over 800MB in 4 days. Given my usage patterns, this seems a bit suspect. I've noticed a similar thing with my girlfriend's phone.

I'm on an iPhone, so I don't have data by app until iOS 8, but has anyone else run into this at all?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an FYI, iOS 7 has data by app. It's under Settings -> Cellular.

I know the few times I used more data than I expected, it's because I started streaming a video and then came inside onto wifi. The video stream didn't switch to using Wifi, so the whole video used a bunch of data.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Just an FYI, iOS 7 has data by app. It's under Settings -> Cellular.

I know the few times I used more data than I expected, it's because I started streaming a video and then came inside onto wifi. The video stream didn't switch to using Wifi, so the whole video used a bunch of data.

Yeah, you're right - I forgot about that. I'll reset the whole thing and data gather for a few days.

I don't think my seemingly extra usage can be explained by a failed wifi handoff, even with video. I've got a pretty good sense of my usage, and this just seems off by a fairly large factor.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Would a Moto G from Telus work with Rogers after unlocking?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

VERTiG0 posted:

Would a Moto G from Telus work with Rogers after unlocking?

I just unlocked a Moto X today in the opposite direction, yes.

Unless you've got a cheaper way, I recommend this guy: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121376879949

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2014

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, you're right - I forgot about that. I'll reset the whole thing and data gather for a few days.

I don't think my seemingly extra usage can be explained by a failed wifi handoff, even with video. I've got a pretty good sense of my usage, and this just seems off by a fairly large factor.

For some odd reason, nine times out of ten the answer is Facebook. Something about how that app downloads those videos your friends link even if you play them or not (theres an option in the app to turn it off)

But yes, seconding the "check data by app" function ios and android has

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got a 60 day free trial of Google play music and I swear for about 30 of those days my data has been on the fritz. Only rebooting makes it work again. Thanks, Rogers, for making it obvious I shouldn't bother with any paid streaming service.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

leidend posted:

I got a 60 day free trial of Google play music and I swear for about 30 of those days my data has been on the fritz. Only rebooting makes it work again. Thanks, Rogers, for making it obvious I shouldn't bother with any paid streaming service.

I've been having issues with Rogers data too. I have to keep turning on and off airplane mode to get it to work again.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I've been having issues with Rogers data too. I have to keep turning on and off airplane mode to get it to work again.

Are you in Vancouver? I thought it may just be around my work but it died downtown and in West Van today too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If I have a Rogers iPhone 5 are they still doing the ancient "locking" to network? I am off to Europe for a couple weeks and if I can get a pay as you go SIM from London (and again in Rome) that would be ideal.

EDIT: $50 fee??

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

If I have a Rogers iPhone 5 are they still doing the ancient "locking" to network? I am off to Europe for a couple weeks and if I can get a pay as you go SIM from London (and again in Rome) that would be ideal.

If you buy a phone from your carrier in Canada, it is locked. Some of the smaller carriers might be different, but anything big enough to properly collude will be the same.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Canadian Cellular: Big Enough to Properly Collude

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I did the exact same with a tmobile sim in a virgin iPhone 5. It works fine once it's unlocked with the fee (and if your account is in good standing)

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

leidend posted:

Are you in Vancouver? I thought it may just be around my work but it died downtown and in West Van today too.

I've been seeing the same thing going from downtown (Coal Harbour) to Burnaby on the skytrain.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can we update the thread title, please. :getin:

Alternatively:

Lexicon posted:

Canadian Cellular: Big Enough to Properly Collude

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

less than three posted:

Alternatively:

Jesus.

Wept.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bringer posted:

I've been seeing the same thing going from downtown (Coal Harbour) to Burnaby on the skytrain.

After going back and forth with @RogersHelps they said

"Based on all the problems and troubleshooting that you've had in the past month, I'd say the device is actually defective."

and then

"Is it possible for you to bring in into a Rogers store for repair?"

edit: Those messages were from yesterday, I told them they really need to look into it today and they replied:

"We actually found out that there is indeed an issue affecting some people on LTE. There's a master ticket created for it."

Hallefuckinglujah. I know these guys must get tons of idiots blaming the network for their poor understanding of technology but I can tell when it's their problem.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 7, 2014

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

less than three posted:

Alternatively:

This is because it is included on pretty much every plan. It's only $8 if you are on a grandfathered plan that doesn't already include it and you would buy it if you didn't want to switch your whole plan just to get free call display.

I'd change the thread title, but I have no idea how.

Also is locking iPhones really that uncommon? Don't they do it in the U.S too? I mean, not that it makes it okay or anything, but I figured there are far more insane/archaic practices in Canada than that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just PM one of the Mods for the forum: Thermopyle/Star Wars Sex Parrot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Locking phones is at least the norm in the US too. I don't know about elsewhere.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Industry minister James Moore announced the establishment of a new Canadian crown corporation to provide affordable, national wireless telecom... ahahaha just kidding, the plan is to auction off spectrum to regional carriers on the cheap, and then encourage them to merge via magic.

How this is supposed to help Wind, who didn't have the money to either bid on spectrum or buy Mobilicity, is currently unknown. It sounds like they quite literally expect A Rich Person or Group of Persons to buy up every regional carrier and merge them into one supercompetitor, which sounds entirely impossible except maybe for Videotron. I would worry about that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

eXXon posted:

Industry minister James Moore announced the establishment of a new Canadian crown corporation to provide affordable, national wireless telecom... ahahaha just kidding, the plan is to auction off spectrum to regional carriers on the cheap, and then encourage them to merge via magic.

How this is supposed to help Wind, who didn't have the money to either bid on spectrum or buy Mobilicity, is currently unknown. It sounds like they quite literally expect A Rich Person or Group of Persons to buy up every regional carrier and merge them into one supercompetitor, which sounds entirely impossible except maybe for Videotron. I would worry about that.

If they really are that foolishly and ideologically committed to a 'market' solution (which is stupid for the reasons we all know), they might as well acknowledge that the capital and inclination does not exist within the country to amalgamate all these into a viable fourth carrier. The only market solution with a sliver of a possibility is getting rid of foreign ownership restrictions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The foreign ownership restrictions are already irrelevant for any non-Big 3 telco and pretty much only exist to stop Verizon/Comcast from buying Telus or any domestic big enough that they could just bring their big league oligopoly experience up north rather than actually try and compete.

Of course the government reserves the right to veto your investment if you're the wrong kind of foreign or really anyone

eXXon posted:

except maybe for Videotron.

DINGDINGDING.

(for the record this is not any sort of inside information, just cynical speculation. Spectrum stuff is Not Our Job.)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

The foreign ownership restrictions are already irrelevant for any non-Big 3 telco and pretty much only exist to stop Verizon/Comcast from buying Telus or any domestic big enough that they could just bring their big league oligopoly experience up north rather than actually try and compete.

Of course the government reserves the right to veto your investment if you're the wrong kind of foreign or really anyone

Well yeah - they always reserve the right to prohibit any M&A activity if there's sufficient reason to believe it harms competition. True, theoretically, in all industries.

Outside of crown corporation wireless, which let's be honest will never happen irrespective of the existence-proof of success that is SK/MB, I see foreign ownership restrictions as the only realistic way to make things better. If nothing else, the sword of damocles threat of a Vodafone entry might be enough to stop the most egregious of the abuses we all suffer at the hands of Robelus.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Lexicon posted:

Outside of crown corporation wireless, which let's be honest will never happen irrespective of the existence-proof of success that is SK/MB, I see foreign ownership restrictions as the only realistic way to make things better. If nothing else, the sword of damocles threat of a Vodafone entry might be enough to stop the most egregious of the abuses we all suffer at the hands of Robelus.

My post history ITT is full of arguments as to why this a) is already entirely possible, and b) won't work out the way you want, so I won't be bothering with rehashing them. We'll just have to see if some Vodafone-type ever takes that plunge.

The only joy I get on this file is imagining James Moore grinding his teeth as he announces interventionist policy after interventionist policy and then drinking himself to sleep at night wondering WHY WON'T THIS WORK?!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

My post history ITT is full of arguments as to why this a) is already entirely possible, and b) won't work out the way you want, so I won't be bothering with rehashing them. We'll just have to see if some Vodafone-type ever takes that plunge.

The only joy I get on this file is imagining James Moore grinding his teeth as he announces interventionist policy after interventionist policy and then drinking himself to sleep at night wondering WHY WON'T THIS WORK?!

Do you know much about Australia's wireless market? I don't really myself, but it seems like they have the potential to be an interesting case study. My understanding is that their wireless market is far better than ours, despite also having three carriers (one of which is Vodafone) and similar population/geographic concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is Videotron = Quebecor? Because I immediately thought oh this is how Quebecor breaks in and immediately becomes as giant and lovely as the other big 3. The big 4th.