Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

If you mulligan to 0, maybe your opponent can Ad Nauseam themself to death.

Actually, if you somehow drafted 7 or 8 Advantageous Proclamations and played a deck of fewer than 7 cards, would you lose when you tried to draw your starting hand or would the game allow you to live until your next draw step?

You lose as soon as the first upkeep starts, since you tried to draw a card from an empty library since the last time state-based effects were checked. Even if you mulligan so that there are still cards in your library when the game actually starts.

Same as if someone plays Shahrazad while you have less than seven cards left in your library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Jabor posted:

You lose as soon as the first upkeep starts, since you tried to draw a card from an empty library since the last time state-based effects were checked. Even if you mulligan so that there are still cards in your library when the game actually starts.

Same as if someone plays Shahrazad while you have less than seven cards left in your library.

Now someone make a mill deck with Shahrazad as the wincon, with Gut Shot or something to ping away the last few life.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's kinda how Shahrazad decks work. You'd Sharazad them, Wish for your Shahrazad in the sub game, and eventually get down to a game where they die from milling. And, you finish them off with lightning bolts and savannah lions and stuff.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If Shahrazad were legal, it would be a format-defining card. So many decks in Vintage rely on one-offs that being hit by Shahrazad is hard to recover from in the subgame, so for a Null Rod aggro deck it's basically a burn spell that does 10.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's the only card banned from vintage for being too awesome.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

It's the only card banned from vintage for being too awesome.

I digress. :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
From what?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

From what?

Falling Star is also banned for being too awesome, although really it's logistics. In a format where Chaos Orb or Falling Star are legal, it's optimal to play with your cards spread out as far as possible. In a format where Shahrazad is legal, you need lots of extra tables to set games aside.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Falling Star is also banned for being too awesome, although really it's logistics. In a format where Chaos Orb or Falling Star are legal, it's optimal to play with your cards spread out as far as possible. In a format where Shahrazad is legal, you need lots of extra tables to set games aside.

I think he's pointing out that Ramos confused the word 'digress' with 'disagree.'

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's not just that you need extra tables, it's that it makes matches take longer and lets you do dumb poo poo like wish in a Shahrazad if you're losing so that the match goes to time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I need to kill a bunch of time in the somewhat near future so I fired up modo again and discovered I have roughly a thousand tickets. What would be some fun decks to put together in eternal formats to grind DEs and PEs with?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think he's pointing out that Ramos confused the word 'digress' with 'disagree.'

I'm not even sure how I managed to typo that badly.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

rabidsquid posted:

I need to kill a bunch of time in the somewhat near future so I fired up modo again and discovered I have roughly a thousand tickets. What would be some fun decks to put together in eternal formats to grind DEs and PEs with?

Vintage Dredge. It's so powerful that the meta will have only properly responded to it when about half their sideboards are dedicated to hosing it and it doesn't require/use any of the Power 9.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If Shahrazad were legal, it would be a format-defining card. So many decks in Vintage rely on one-offs that being hit by Shahrazad is hard to recover from in the subgame, so for a Null Rod aggro deck it's basically a burn spell that does 10.

It actually was not banned from vintage/legacy for a long time where no one played it. It got banned after people started trying to grief tournaments with it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Promoted Pawn posted:

Vintage Dredge. It's so powerful that the meta will have only properly responded to it when about half their sideboards are dedicated to hosing it and it doesn't require/use any of the Power 9.

Watch LSVs first vintage video. 8/15 slots are dredge hate, and rightly so.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah the basic game plan with that deck is 'win game 1, then dodge the hate they bring in for 1 of the next 2 games'.

Some builds even maindeck hate for the mirror because the theory is that you can afford to have dead cards against any other deck in game 1.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Every single vintage deck I've played against with Dredge scoops to a resolved Serenity. It's just a meta issue that they don't dedicate slots to removing my anti-hate but still.

Dredge is still not a "cheap" deck to put together - but it still costs less than a single Lotus does.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 20, 2014

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I actually recall playing against a R/W Shahrzad deck in a Vintage tourney like ten years ago. Every time my opponent would try to enter a subgame, I'd concede immediately.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Angry Grimace posted:

Every single vintage deck I've played against with Dredge scoops to a resolved Serenity. It's just a meta issue that they don't dedicate slots to removing my anti-hate but still.

Dredge is still not a "cheap" deck to put together - but it still costs less than a single Lotus does.
What would be a good replacement for undiscovered paradise?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Every single vintage deck I've played against with Dredge scoops to a resolved Serenity.

Do you find it harder to resolve? I thought about running it but was worried about getting to 2 lands to cast it regularly.

neetengie posted:

What would be a good replacement for undiscovered paradise?

I imagine Gemstone Mine or Mana Confluence would do in a pinch but the ability to repeat landfall triggers for Bloodghasts is pretty important. You don't have to cast anything with Paradise to bounce it to hand so you can add mana at your opponents endstep and always have landfall.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
How much would the M15 Souls go for now that they're promos in DOTP15?

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/06/here-are-your-magic-2015-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-promo-cards/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bugsy posted:

I really want to play this deck!

From the GP Chicago Primer.

oops no cards

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What's a good site to reference for MTGO prices? Anything easier to check than trying to find prices on the trade market while drafting?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's a good site to reference for MTGO prices? Anything easier to check than trying to find prices on the trade market while drafting?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd kinda recommend just ctrl-fing through supernova's 0.txt (http://supernovabots.com/prices_0.txt) during drafts since it is fastest, but goldfish is better in general.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nothing because they weren't great to begin with.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

I still don't understand why people piss in their own pool like that. I mean sure, go steal some cards in/from an LGS that is nowhere near where you live but to do it where you're a regular and lose your hobby and hangout place as a result? Lol

Yeah, we just had a guy locally who got told at the one main store in the area that a bunch of his new cards were counterfeits. OK, maybe he's the one who got scammed, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He then takes those cards to the other main store in the area and tries to sell them.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Am I reading right that bots are buying Vintage Masters boosters at nearly eight dollars, has anyone actually seen that in the wild?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mortimer posted:

Nothing because they weren't great to begin with.

They are going for 15 and 12 bucks on TCG player which is insanity.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

Yeah, we just had a guy locally who got told at the one main store in the area that a bunch of his new cards were counterfeits. OK, maybe he's the one who got scammed, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He then takes those cards to the other main store in the area and tries to sell them.

Lol. We had a guy do the same with beat up cards sharpied to look like they were NM. Claimed he got ripped off when I called him out on it too.

Best part is how we figured it out while casually talking and several people piped up about getting sharpied cards from the same guy. The lunch mob that was forming was even better since one of the guys got his number and address due to an earlier trade/meetup. One of the guys called him and starts naming names of people with a grievance. The conversation was funny and I can imagine the other guy making GBS threads his pants and whimpering (I heard "but what about my family?") as the caller tells him I box and another guy does MMA. Store clerks told us to take the phone call outside for legal/plausible deniability reasons cuz the other guys started having power fantasies of roughing him up.

Shows up to the store during a packed standard night (arranged by the caller), gives back the cards, and was banned. Feel good story of the year.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm going to be in Portland next weekend, do any Portland goons know of a good place for FNM? Guardian Games seems like a nice place and isn't too far from where I'm staying, anyone been there?

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

Cactrot posted:

I'm going to be in Portland next weekend, do any Portland goons know of a good place for FNM? Guardian Games seems like a nice place and isn't too far from where I'm staying, anyone been there?

Guardian games is amazing.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
How many of you are going to the chicago gp?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cactrot posted:

I played there quite a lot when I lived in Portland. I recommend it. They've got a section in the back where you can get some beers too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Stinky Pit posted:

I imagine Gemstone Mine or Mana Confluence would do in a pinch but the ability to repeat landfall triggers for Bloodghasts is pretty important. You don't have to cast anything with Paradise to bounce it to hand so you can add mana at your opponents endstep and always have landfall.
Ah, that makes sense. gently caress it, 270ish bucks isn't that bad for a vintage deck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mcmagic posted:

They are going for 15 and 12 bucks on TCG player which is insanity.

Seriously? Maybe my evaluation skills are off but Soul of Ravnica looks awful; 7 mana to maybe draw like 3 cards? When are you gonna make that worth it?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

goferchan posted:

Seriously? Maybe my evaluation skills are off but Soul of Ravnica looks awful; 7 mana to maybe draw like 3 cards? When are you gonna make that worth it?

At a table full of aspies w/ rules like "No countermagic" at your local game store's EDH night.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

neetengie posted:

Ah, that makes sense. gently caress it, 270ish bucks isn't that bad for a vintage deck.

Go ahead and pick up a set of leylines. When I was doing heads up queues about half were mirrors.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

You might be able to get away with the green soul because of Nyxland, but the blue one doesn't strike me as very good. It'll win long control matches I guess but theres definitely better ways to grind out advantage than seven mana draw 1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shavnir posted:

Go ahead and pick up a set of leylines. When I was doing heads up queues about half were mirrors.

If I was doing 2 mans with Dredge I'd run 4 Leyline instead of 4 Petrified Field

• Locked thread