Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

My biggest gripe with Skyward Sword is that is just drags on. Like you get to the point where it feels like you're about to enter endgame but nope. Game wants to give you a few hours of busy work before you can start the end of the game.

Also the motion controls are either interesting or a pain that makes enemy encounters take forever. Also the overworld, while trying to be some of the biggest areas the series has had still feels tiny because while they are so big, there's so few overworld areas in the game.

It's not a bad game, it's sort of an average to decent game with a bunch of bad design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Guys, I didn't want to start an argument about Skyward Sword being good or bad, it's just that it's the only Zelda game I haven't played and $60 is a tough price to swallow for a game that I've heard I will either love or despise.

For reference, I paid $3 for Metroid: Other M and was real pissed off when I finished because that was too much money to spend.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sockser posted:

Guys, I didn't want to start an argument about Skyward Sword being good or bad, it's just that it's the only Zelda game I haven't played and $60 is a tough price to swallow for a game that I've heard I will either love or despise.

For reference, I paid $3 for Metroid: Other M and was real pissed off when I finished because that was too much money to spend.

You can probably get it for cheap in SA-Mart from somebody instead assuming that not everybody on SA pirated the thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE has confirmed that Bayonetta will be available both at retail (as a separate disc packaged with SE versions of Bayonetta 2) and on the eShop, and they'll also be doing a digital promo where buying one game on the eShop gives you an automatic discount on the other.

Now it's NOA's turn to explain what they're doing, I guess.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Now it's NOA's turn to explain what they're doing, I guess.

Wait, as in they're selling each separately, not together with B1 as a free pack-in? That seems contrary to what's been announced so far.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Louisgod posted:

Wait, as in they're selling each separately, not together with B1 as a free pack-in? That seems contrary to what's been announced so far.

I think he's saying there will be a special edition with both, then both will be available also. Then buying one digitally means you can get a discount on the other, which I imagine would just make it the same price as the special edition.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Louisgod posted:

The Bayo 1/2 situation in Europe (and Japan, as far as I know) is this:

-regular Bayo 2 retail release
-"special edition" Bayo 2 release that includes Bayo 1 on a separate disc
-Bayo 1/2 available as separate purchases on the eShop, with an automatic discount applied to one if you buy the other

NOA may or may not be giving a digital copy of Bayo 1 to everyone who buys Bayo 2 either physically or digitally, but like I said, the messaging on this has been confusing and contradictory, so no-one really knows how it's gonna work in NA - it might be digital, it might be a second disc, it might be available to everyone, it might not, it might be available for individual purchase from the eShop, it might not, maybe it wasn't, now it is, now it isn't again, etc.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

noirstronaut posted:

I think he's saying there will be a special edition with both, then both will be available also. Then buying one digitally means you can get a discount on the other, which I imagine would just make it the same price as the special edition.

Weird, I was under the impression that the regular game was packed with B1 as a freebie, not as a SE or anything like that. SE suggests the price will be higher.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Bayo 1/2 situation in Europe (and Japan, as far as I know) is this:

-regular Bayo 2 retail release
-"special edition" Bayo 2 release that includes Bayo 1 on a separate disc
-Bayo 1/2 available as separate purchases on the eShop, with an automatic discount applied to one if you buy the other

NOA may or may not be giving a digital copy of Bayo 1 to everyone who buys Bayo 2 either physically or digitally, but like I said, the messaging on this has been confusing and contradictory, so no-one really knows how it's gonna work in NA.

Got it, thanks for the clarification. Poor game's gonna not sell as well if they're going to break it up like that.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Is the Target sale for Canada too? If not, I'll have to find another way to load up on games for my new Wii U.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There is a boxshot of the US Bayonetta 2 floating around and it has a big ol "Bayonetta 1 included" stamp on it, doesn't look like a special edition or anything but who knows.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MinibarMatchman posted:

had no problem with them but they were loving annoying. 10/10 times I'd rather use a normal controller then bend my arm around like a loving idiot

If you had to flail your arm around to play Skyward Sword then you were doing it completely wrong or your Wii Remote was broken I guess. You only had to flick it in a cardinal direction and that barely involved any arm movement at all, but I suppose it'd be tough if your wrists were broken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skyward Sword's combat motion controls are literally two things:

The game registers the position of your sword 1:1.

The game registers the direction you swipe the Wiimote to attack regardless of where it is positioned. Swipe to the right and you'll always slash to the right even if you're holding it to the right already.

That's it. There is no weird holding required. There is just "the game registers where the sword is positioned" which is used for several enemy gimmicks and a super-straightforward "the game registers the direction you jerk the Wiimote."

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

noirstronaut posted:

This sounds like a review of the Wii.

The only time I found motion controls any fun on the Wii was the Boom Blox games and Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Any other time was just goddamn stupid. Someone tell me that Super Mario Galaxy wouldn't be a million times better with a standard controller. Or Skyward Sword, for that matter. Metroid Prime 3 was a loving slog with the Wiimote. Someone port all these Wii games (minus Boom Blox and Wario Ware) to the Wii U and crowbar the waggle off of them. I'll buy them again; I'm loving stupid.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
None of those games were a slog because the controls worked perfectly once you understood them. You barely have to use the motion controls in Mario and Prime 3 and the Wiimote and nunchuck combo is essentially a standard controller broken into two pieces with a pointer. Once they click they just work really well.

e: Of course to each their own but I personally feel the complaints about motion control for the last 8 years have been really overblown. Especially in first party Nintendo games.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

None of those games were a slog because the controls worked perfectly once you understood them. You barely have to use the motion controls in Mario and Prime 3 and the Wiimote and nunchuck combo is essentially a standard controller broken into two pieces with a pointer. Once they click they just work really well.

e: Of course to each their own but I personally feel the complaints about motion control for the last 8 years have been really overblown. Especially in first party Nintendo games.

For me it wasn't that the controls didn't work. It's just I didn't want to hold my arm out to aim for like 3 hours while playing Metroid Prime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

m.hache posted:

For me it wasn't that the controls didn't work. It's just I didn't want to hold my arm out to aim for like 3 hours while playing Metroid Prime.

You don't have to hold your arm directly out. Seriously, I played it just sort of with my arm resting on the armrest of my chair and lightly moving the pointer around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

m.hache posted:

How do you use a mouse, then? It's the exact same thing and you can use the exact same arm positions.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Sweet crackers, I gotta beat the boss rush and unlock that level.

matrix ripoff posted:

Someone tell me that Super Mario Galaxy wouldn't be a million times better with a standard controller.

Okay, I will. I can see having a problem with waggling and such in other games, but in SMG it was literally just flick the controller a little to spin attack. Also, being able to shoot star bits at stuff on the screen on the fly. That would be a gigantic pain in the rear end to implement without a Wiimote style control.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

m.hache posted:

You didn't have to? You could play all the Wii games worth playing with your hands folded in your lap or your wrist resting on your knee.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You don't really have to, just lay your hand on your knee and point at the screen. That was my setup for most Wii games, arms lounged at my sides.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

m.hache posted:

combine this with the hours of bullshit handholding in skyward sword and you have the recipe for a truly boring experience. this is coming from someone who had absolutely no problem with shaking wiimotes for DKC or aiming for Goldeneye. Zelda just went out of its way to bore you with relentless railroaded errands.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Not really motion controls, but I remember one of the coolest moments I had with the Wii was playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I remember thinking that the camera was crazy intuitive and that it was always in the position I wanted it to be. I got about halfway through the game before I realized the camera was controlled by tilting the nunchuck left or right and that I was doing that instinctively when I was turning corners.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So consensus in the thread is motion controls are great when you keep your hands on your lap and barely move at all.

Like mentioned earlier if every game was ported and compatible with the gamepad it would be infinitely better. This is why I'm loving my Wii U and really didn't like my Wii. There are some great games that don't rely on gimmicky motion controls.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, some games play real loving well with the Wiimote. The Wii ports of Metroid and Pikmin were way better than the Gamecube originals. The real consensus was that you don't know how to use a Wii.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

m.hache posted:

So consensus in the thread is motion controls are great when you keep your hands on your lap and barely move at all.

Like mentioned earlier if every game was ported and compatible with the gamepad it would be infinitely better. This is why I'm loving my Wii U and really didn't like my Wii. There are some great games that don't rely on gimmicky motion controls.

Yes, because when they work, they work really well. I would rather play anything involving shooting on my Wii than I would my PS3 or 360. The aiming controls work great and are far more fun to use. In some cases excessively so. (Hey there RE4 Wii Edition.)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

m.hache posted:

Nintendo at it's best is when they have a regular controller and then give you the choice of a gimmicky peripheral. The Wii reversed that by making the gimmicky peripheral the default and occasionally the choice to use a regular controller. The Wii U is a blend where the gimmicky controller is the default, but it still functions as a regular controller.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Perry Normal posted:

Okay, I will. I can see having a problem with waggling and such in other games, but in SMG it was literally just flick the controller a little to spin attack. Also, being able to shoot star bits at stuff on the screen on the fly. That would be a gigantic pain in the rear end to implement without a Wiimote style control.

Just make it where you mash your finger on the Wii U gamepad to fire them. Or have a button on a Pro controller be an automatic lock-on reticle and you press another button to fire the bits (which I'd prefer since playing games on the Wii U pad is just goofy to me).

MinibarMatchman posted:

shaking wiimotes for DKC

Good loving Christ; now this is the ultimate example of unjustifiable waggle. This was unplayable to me until I got the 3DS port.

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 20, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

m.hache posted:

So have you played any of those games or are you just nitpicking to be petty? I get that motion controls bother some people but if they were implemented properly (like in Metroid Prime 3 and Boom Blox, for example) they work exceedingly well without tiring your fat arms.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

So have you played any of those games or are you just nitpicking to be petty? I get that motion controls bother some people but if they were implemented properly (like in Metroid Prime 3 and Boom Blox, for example) they work exceedingly well without tiring your fat arms.

I've played Prime 3. When I played it last I was living at home so I would play from my bed. Given the angle of the Wii Bar I had to raise my arm in order to play. Some people may be able to play the game fine with the Wiimotes but you can't say the Wiimote added anything to the game that couldn't have been done with a gamepad. Give me an option to use WiiMote or Gamepad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can say that.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

I can say that.

I suppose you can.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

m.hache posted:

I've played Prime 3. When I played it last I was living at home so I would play from my bed. Given the angle of the Wii Bar I had to raise my arm in order to play. Some people may be able to play the game fine with the Wiimotes but you can't say the Wiimote added anything to the game that couldn't have been done with a gamepad. Give me an option to use WiiMote or Gamepad.

yeah I thought the motion controls were great and am going to say this as well

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do the Wii U gamepad or pro controller contain any kind of motion sensing to allow for the simple flick action in Mario Galaxy?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

Do the Wii U gamepad or pro controller contain any kind of motion sensing to allow for the simple flick action in Mario Galaxy?
I don't know about the pro controller, but the gamepad has gyros and, by the way, its gyro controls are ownage in games such as The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and ZombiU.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Nah, some games play real loving well with the Wiimote. The Wii ports of Metroid and Pikmin were way better than the Gamecube originals. The real consensus was that you don't know how to use a Wii.

I think this may be the crux of it. You shouldn't "have to know" how to play a console. I can't really say too much because I only ever played my friend's Wii, but if it's not something that works extremely well and extremely easily, you're going to take people out of the immersion, especially when you were the company that created the controller as we know it today.

The only "real" game (not wii sports, etc.) I played on the Wii was one of the Ninja Turtle beat 'em ups, and the motion controls were frustrating. Not that a third party port of a licensed TV show is a good indicator of effective use of motion controls, but if my buddy made me play that crappy game again, I would have prefered it on the PS3 or XBOX 360.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Wii's waggle controls were stupid, miserable bullshit in every single Wii game with the possible exception of RE4. Their only good point is that their failure infected Microsoft, which led to the Kinect and all the tragicomedy that followed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has this been discussed? NoA just announced the Mercedes MK8 DLC coming to America.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/480017305502773248

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

The Wii's waggle controls were stupid, miserable bullshit in every single Wii game with the possible exception of RE4. Their only good point is that their failure infected Microsoft, which led to the Kinect and all the tragicomedy that followed.

No one talks about the PS Move. For good reason.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

m.hache posted:

Okay well I can't speak to what can be, only what is and for what MP3 is, the motion controls added a great amount of accuracy and would probably work well on the gamepad too but it'd probably be just as tiring holding the gamepad in the air unless you want to use the sticks.

elf help book posted:

Pro controller no, Gamepad has the same technology as a Wii Remote Plus minus the pointer, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

I think this may be the crux of it. You shouldn't "have to know" how to play a console. I can't really say too much because I only ever played my friend's Wii, but if it's not something that works extremely well and extremely easily, you're going to take people out of the immersion, especially when you were the company that created the controller as we know it today.
When I played Mario 64 for the first time I held the far left and right handles in my hands, stretched my thumb over to the stick, and jammed the middle spike into my stomach for stability. Video games are hard.

• Locked thread