Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Speaking of, apparently an update just came down the pipes.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/278080/announcements/detail/1478619556801460043

Yes, you can use 6-star weapons in fusion now. Yes, they still look very silly.

Holy poo poo. Definitely want this, at least for the increased attack.

Is Samurai Warriors Chronicles any good? Since the sequel will probably be never see an English release, can I just settle for this? The last SW I played was SW2XL, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Speaking of, apparently an update just came down the pipes.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/278080/announcements/detail/1478619556801460043

Yes, you can use 6-star weapons in fusion now. Yes, they still look very silly.

'additional game balance and bug fixes'.

Such as...? It's not something you can be vague about.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

'additional game balance and bug fixes'.

Such as...? It's not something you can be vague about.
Most patch notes of Japanese games end with that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Alacron posted:

Didn't E3 reveal Midna w/ Wolf Link as playable? Does she/they not count?

The wolf Midna is riding seems to be a Twilight Realm wolf or something and not Wolf Link, I suppose to avoid the question of "How is Midna riding Link and also Link is on the battlefield?" Then again there's already questions of why Midna is in her imp form again so...

Belzac posted:

Didn't they also announce a Wizrobe type thing that is a flying magic ring or something?

From what I've seen Wizro is a cursed ring, and Shia gives it a body. It sort of looks like a Wizrobe.

The GIG posted:

I think there's going to be a bit more than 9 but not to many, since I could see them using the multiple movesets to sort of inflate the roster depth.

Yeah I don't expect more than maybe 12 at most, but hey, gotta keep some ideas for the sequel after all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Schneider Heim posted:

Holy poo poo. Definitely want this, at least for the increased attack.

Is Samurai Warriors Chronicles any good? Since the sequel will probably be never see an English release, can I just settle for this? The last SW I played was SW2XL, though.

Yeah, it's decent enough. Controlling four different characters on the map is an interesting change, and the zone morale makes things more challenging than the typical Musou game since high enemy morale actually makes enemy soldiers and officers harder to kill. There's no Free mode though so you only have the main campaign and extra chapters to replay, so no playing as the opposite army in a battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Allarion posted:

Yeah, it's decent enough. Controlling four different characters on the map is an interesting change, and the zone morale makes things more challenging than the typical Musou game since high enemy morale actually makes enemy soldiers and officers harder to kill. There's no Free mode though so you only have the main campaign and extra chapters to replay, so no playing as the opposite army in a battle.

Though I'm pretty sure the Story mode has a way for you to unlock you playing on either side in every battle.

Naturally the Warlords of the era are totally cool with this.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

thorsilver posted:

So I guess I'm wondering how close DW8XLCE is to the former, rather than the latter? If it's got those massive pauses and fire stages that play at 20% speed, no way can I deal. If it's a bit choppy with occasional slowdown, I can probably deal (which is what your description makes it sound like).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pr9vQSYJvo

Posting from my phone so I hope the link works. It's a YouTube video of somebody aiming a camera at a Vita, so the video quality isn't great. It should give you an idea of how the game looks and runs though. Actual gameplay starts about 4 mins in. I just skipped around and it seems to show a few different levels and modes.

I don't want to undersell the framerate issues, but it doesn't seem, to me, as bad as what you described in the other game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

Though I'm pretty sure the Story mode has a way for you to unlock you playing on either side in every battle.

Naturally the Warlords of the era are totally cool with this.

Actually, it's just a couple of battles in the final chapter (and one Gaiden battle), the story technically branches off so you either join the Toyotomi Army or the Tokugawa army, and then on replay you can unlock the other side. Most of the battles in the game you don't have a choice though. You can bring whatever warlord with you if you like if they're your best friend on replay though, so you can have Nobunaga attacking himself, with the Officer challenge quote changed to acknowledge it.

I liked the game though, since having a portable Musou game is nice, and I had already gotten everything I could out of Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP at the time.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Allarion posted:

I understand that you use a CAW, can you change his/her weapons?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Schneider Heim posted:

I understand that you use a CAW, can you change his/her weapons?

It's not a CAW, you just choose a male or female character, each with a different main weapon. You can customize their costume somewhat, but nothing major.

You can use the weapons of other officers when you raise your relationship with them high enough. Except Fuma Kotaro, I think, because of his stretchy arms.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

How's the steam port of DW8? I wanna give the series a try, but you can never be sure if a PC port is an unplayable mess or not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a cartoon duck posted:

How's the steam port of DW8? I wanna give the series a try, but you can never be sure if a PC port is an unplayable mess or not.

DW8XXXL or whatever the Steam version is runs pretty great for me. Looks good, controls good, runs smooth.
Haven't tried multiplayer yet though so I have no clue if that's a hot mess or not.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

The performance is pretty great - no slowdown, consistent framerate, etc.; the only annoying detail is that button prompts don't correspond to whatever controller you're using.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

It had some problems at release, but they're apparently mostly fixed now.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is the multiplayer local only? Online co-op would be sweet.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Is the multiplayer local only? Online co-op would be sweet.
Local only.

Also, DAILY DEAL on Steam for $25 today!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

lurksion posted:

Local only.

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Just bought it, I'm so excited. I cannot loving wait to get off work

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Magres posted:

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Just bought it, I'm so excited. I cannot loving wait to get off work

You will kill so many loving people when you get home, it's nuts. GET READY.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

You will kill so many loving people when you get home, it's nuts. GET READY.

Man the last one of these I played was like DW4 or something around there, back on PS2. It's been way too long since I've gotten to just loving mow through crowds of mooks.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'm so glad the daily deal came sooner rather than later. I know now that I can just play DW8 for the rest of the sale.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So is DW8XLCE the best version of 8, or is there a potential better one?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

senae posted:

So is DW8XLCE the best version of 8, or is there a potential better one?

Yes, that will be it for the base 8 game. There is an 8 Empires game coming out, but that is a different style game (no story, you sort of build your own dynasty, it has create a character, etc).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lurksion posted:

Local only.

Grumpy as poo poo because I bought it earlier this month because 'there's no way it'll go on super sale it just came out on steam' :mad:

But yeah it's fun as gently caress, highly recommend to anyone who's been on the fence.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Kitfox88 posted:

Grumpy as poo poo because I bought it earlier this month because 'there's no way it'll go on super sale it just came out on steam' :mad:

But yeah it's fun as gently caress, highly recommend to anyone who's been on the fence.

Yeah, this summer sale's been surprising. Hell, it started out surprising, what with Dead Rising 3 still months from release but in the first daily sale.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So is there any kind of save editor for the PC version of DW8XL? I'm tempted to get it but I really don't want to have to unlock every drat thing all over again.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, this summer sale's been surprising. Hell, it started out surprising, what with Dead Rising 3 still months from release but in the first daily sale.

Revengenence did the same thing in the Winter Sale, so there is some precedent there.

But yeah, DW8 PC is an amazing port barring the lack of online. It runs buttery smooth on my admittedly overpowered laptop and I just get to murder hundred of mans with no frame drops and extremely limited pop-in (almost all spawning related, not performance.)

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Are you supposed to use a controller for this game? Hearing that there's no mouse support makes me wary...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Are you supposed to use a controller for this game? Hearing that there's no mouse support makes me wary...
I can't in a million years imagine playing this game with a keyboard.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't in a million years imagine playing this game with a keyboard.

Yeah. Even if you used a mouse and keyboard, all the mouse could do would be camera control. There is no aiming in Dynasty Warriors.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you wanna play console ports that aren't RPGs or shooters, you'd best own a controller by now. :colbert:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I played DW:Online with just the keyboard.

Worked pretty good.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Static Rook posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pr9vQSYJvo

Posting from my phone so I hope the link works. It's a YouTube video of somebody aiming a camera at a Vita, so the video quality isn't great. It should give you an idea of how the game looks and runs though. Actual gameplay starts about 4 mins in. I just skipped around and it seems to show a few different levels and modes.

I don't want to undersell the framerate issues, but it doesn't seem, to me, as bad as what you described in the other game.

Thanks for this! Looks a bit choppy but definitely not as bad as pre-patch Orochi 2 Ultimate.

In the end I took the plunge because while I was mulling it over Amazon UK dropped the price to £16.99 so I figured gently caress it :v: Then I bought the PC version on Steam too, why not. Then I ordered a copy of One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2 for Vita off Ebay as well. I think I'm set for Musou games for awhile... at least until DW8 Empires. And I'll probably get Shin Gundam Musou and Sengoku Musou 4 for Vita as well, since the Japanese versions got physical copies. I think I have a problem.

Just to say again, Orochi 2 Ultimate is amazing fun on Vita and runs perfectly since the patch. When it comes out here as Orochi 3 Ultimate, buy the poo poo out of it. It's just awesome having that much mayhem available in pocket-sized form.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have to admit, the default keyboard controls are quite inventive and work pretty ok. They're still far from a substitute for a controller. I wouldn't want to play anything harder than normal with it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, keyboard controls work well. This isn't exactly a precision platformer that requires analog movement speeds or more than 8 degrees of movement. I've been using keyboard to play emulated PS2 DW. I just remap the main attack buttons to the numpad to mimic the PS2 layout.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Took advantage of the Steam sale. Got pursued by Lu Bu. Learned to leave Diaochan the hell alone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GoatLord posted:

Took advantage of the Steam sale. Got pursued by Lu Bu. Learned to leave Diaochan the hell alone.
Did you accidentally yell YUKIMURAAAA!! at Zhao Yun?

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I'm embarrassed to ask this, but how do I save and quit in this game? I'm in the character select screen for the Wu Campaign and I don't see any options to stop and save. PC version.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The game autosaves after every battle. If you absolutely want to make sure you've saved, go into the options and there should be a save button in there.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
No, I mean...I can't even exit out of the character select screen. Do I have to begin a battle, THEN quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You have to pick a character first then exit during the camp phase.