Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

You might be able to get away with the green soul because of Nyxland, but the blue one doesn't strike me as very good. It'll win long control matches I guess but theres definitely better ways to grind out advantage than seven mana draw 1.5

It also doesn't help there are better creatures blue would rather have. Not to mention the blue's ability requires you to have either hybrid creatures or non-blue creatures, the latter of which you shouldn't run with nykthos, and the former of which is nightveil specter which rotates soon after.

The green one is incredibly "eh" considering all the hydras being printed/already printed to soak up all that extra mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

You might be able to get away with the green soul because of Nyxland, but the blue one doesn't strike me as very good. It'll win long control matches I guess but theres definitely better ways to grind out advantage than seven mana draw 1.5

It might be a smaller body, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be running Prognostic Sphinx in any kinda control deck most of the time.

My real hope though is that Tromokratis finds a place as a control finisher. That card's just so fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

It might be a smaller body, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be running Prognostic Sphinx in any kinda control deck most of the time.

My real hope though is that Tromokratis finds a place as a control finisher. That card's just so fun.

Given that it costs Literally Infinity I would not hold out hope for this.

E: Elspeth is a far better finisher then either of those anyways, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aetherling costs 4UUU if you want to keep it alive, so Tromokratis's cost isn't quite as bad. I'd love to see it too, but the lack of ability to punch through an Elspeth means it probably won't make it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Aetherling costs 4UUU if you want to keep it alive, so Tromokratis's cost isn't quite as bad. I'd love to see it too, but the lack of ability to punch through an Elspeth means it probably won't make it.

Tromokratis is not as resilient against removal, easier to block, and can't attack and block in the same turn.

I suppose it's possible, but I think it's unlikely.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I'm going to be in Portland next weekend, do any Portland goons know of a good place for FNM? Guardian Games seems like a nice place and isn't too far from where I'm staying, anyone been there?

Guardian Games is rad. I also quite like Time Vault Games, though in fairness I've only been there to draft new sets and play in their Saturday Legacy event, so I don't know how FNM is. I would assume excellent though. Quite a bit smaller than GG, but definitely one of the nicer card shops I've ever frequented (and is much more Magic-centric than Guardian Games is).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Guardian sounds like the place for me, it fits my normal FNM routine of "lose a match, go have a beer, repeat faster next time".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've basically resigned myself to having to use Kiora if I want to Kraken someone to death, it just makes me sad that a card as cool as Tromokratis can't be playable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Souls are keyworded 6/6s for 6 with repeatable, instant speed effects. They're nowhere near Titan level but I'd be shocked if they don't find a home somewhere by virtue of being beefy mana sinks.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Don't forget we haven't seen the whole cycle, either.

C'mon, Soul of Ulgrotha :unsmith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Souls are keyworded 6/6s for 6 with repeatable, instant speed effects. They're nowhere near Titan level but I'd be shocked if they don't find a home somewhere by virtue of being beefy mana sinks.

I dunno, none of the titans flew so Ravnica already has that going for it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I think the green soul will find a home in standard, since it blocks well is huge and works well with nyxland. I'm skeptical about the blue one but I've been wrong before. Seven mana is steep even for instant speed draw and the only way to abuse it is with nyxland, but it directly clashes with that.

But it still its a 6/6 flier so who knows. Plus in super standard, it'll be best friends with frostburn weird and any hybrid mana men. Weirder and worse cards have found homes before.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

Don't forget we haven't seen the whole cycle, either.

C'mon, Soul of Ulgrotha :unsmith:

Pretty sure the 5 have been confirmed to be Soul of Theros, Innistrad, Shandalar, Ravnica, and Zendikar.

Sorry bub.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Soul of Takir :colbert:

E: Soul of Lorwyn :c00lbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Elspeth is a far better finisher then either of those anyways, though.

The truly great control finisher is Elixir of Immortality.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Does anyone know how to make a query in Magiccards.info or Gatherer to list all cards without flavor text, like the M14 Giant Growth?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Nihilist.Dec "we don't believe in flavor"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mortimer posted:

It also doesn't help there are better creatures blue would rather have. Not to mention the blue's ability requires you to have either hybrid creatures or non-blue creatures, the latter of which you shouldn't run with nykthos, and the former of which is nightveil specter which rotates soon after.

The green one is incredibly "eh" considering all the hydras being printed/already printed to soak up all that extra mana.

Dies to Doom Blade and doesn't do enough after that to be all that playable because then you're paying 11 mana to get a single 3/3 vanilla token. I can't fathom a scenario where I'd rather have Soul rather than Hydra Broodmaster.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 20, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rabidsquid posted:

The truly great control finisher is Elixir of Immortality.

Swords to Plowshares and Timetwister.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ah yes the flawless dies to removal argument.

Where did I put my mtg thread bingo card?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pfft, removal dies to countermagic.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

vOv posted:

Pfft, removal dies to countermagic.

And countermagic dies to countermagic.

It's countermagic all the way down.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Counterproof countermagic dies to exile target spell

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't think we'll see Soul of Ravnica in Super Standard, but after Revelation and Aetherling rotate out control will need some big way to draw cards, stabilize, and finish the game. It might be this or it might be something better that will be printed, or we might even go to a Standard where pure control decks just aren't viable, there's no way to tell at this early point.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tardigrade posted:

And countermagic dies to countermagic.

It's countermagic all the way down.

Countermagic dies to Duress

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

UberJew posted:

Duress dies to Mental Misstep

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

whydirt posted:

Does anyone know how to make a query in Magiccards.info or Gatherer to list all cards without flavor text, like the M14 Giant Growth?

So, you can use this: http://magiccards.info/query?q=not+%28ft%3Aa+or+ft%3Ae+or+ft%3Ai+or+ft%3Ao+or+ft%3Au%29&v=card&s=cname

Kinda janky, but it's basically "card whose flavor text contains no vowels", which should essentially mean cards without flavor text. Problem is, like half of the cards ever printed don't have flavor text, so it's not exactly a very useful search.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Duress dies to Mental Misstep

Mental misstep dies to bans

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nibble posted:

So, you can use this: http://magiccards.info/query?q=not+%28ft%3Aa+or+ft%3Ae+or+ft%3Ai+or+ft%3Ao+or+ft%3Au%29&v=card&s=cname

Kinda janky, but it's basically "card whose flavor text contains no vowels", which should essentially mean cards without flavor text. Problem is, like half of the cards ever printed don't have flavor text, so it's not exactly a very useful search.

I should have specified I just wanted spell staples like Growth, Doom Blade, etc that have versions with just the text centered in the middle of the cards. Your query should get me started pretty easily, so thanks!

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 20, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Well, can you explain why its a bad argument here? I think its vulnerability to removal without ending up doing anything is why it won't see serious play (unless some other card really enables it).

The problem is that if you're going to spend 6 CMC on a creature, he needs to do more in the time he's on the field. Broodmaster dies to removal also, but its abilities are just better and its body is bigger.

whydirt posted:

I should have specified I just wanted spell staples like Growth, Doom Blade, etc that have versions with just the text centered in the middle of the cards. Your query should get me started pretty easily, so thanks!

Original Wrath of God and Armageddon are the most imposing no-flavor-text cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 20, 2014

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Time Stop doesn't have reminder text or flavor text as long as it's a foil.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Nemico posted:

All 10E cards are like that, Time Stop is just one of the ones that stands out the most.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

UberJew posted:

Duress is useless against creatures.

Creatures die to removal.

it's the circle of life

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Nemico posted:

For Tenth Edition only. And it's seriously the best: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p384141.html (also, slightly annoying to find pictures of since it's not on gatherer/magiccards.info without flavor text).

Some 10E foils actually have extra flavor text to make up for the lack of reminder text:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, can you explain why its a bad argument here? I think its vulnerability to removal without ending up doing anything is why it won't see serious play (unless some other card really enables it).

The problem is that if you're going to spend 6 CMC on a creature, he needs to do more in the time he's on the field. Broodmaster dies to removal also, but its abilities are just better and its body is bigger.

Original Wrath of God and Armageddon are the most imposing no-flavor-text cards.

Serra Angel also died to doom blade and was one of the biggest control finishers for the longest time ever. Sure times have changed, but a big (E: and evasive) creature doesn't need to make an immediate impact if you've been telling your opponent "no" all game. Immediate impact helps seal the deal, but so does repeatably drawing a million cards.

Either way, I think the argument against RavSoul at the moment is that Aetherling does a better job sealing the deal. No card exists in a vacuum and until we see what this card's competition is in Khans, we won't honestly know if it sees play.

E: The thing that will make any of the souls relevant is the graveyard value anyway. Instant speed 3/3 or card draw from the graveyard is good.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 20, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attorney at Funk posted:

Duress is useless against creatures.

Creatures die to removal.

it's the circle of life

Thoughtseize is here to break the circle of life, and also your sketchy keep and hopes of placing.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

Thoughtseize is here to break the circle of life, and also your sketchy keep and hopes of placing.

Thoughtseize :argh:

e: I wonder if there's more likely to be tournament-level manlands in Khans of Tarkir because of it being adjacent to Theros block. As it stands, the one threat Thoughtseize can't hit in current standard is Mutavault. Since it's rotating out, there's a hole that R&D could fill. I'd love to see the cycle of dual manlands rounded out, of course, but so would everyone else.

Attorney at Funk fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 20, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Thoughtseize dies to force of will :kamina:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Thoughtseize dies to force of will :kamina:

And in the end everything dies to Storm. Entropy wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serra Angel also died to doom blade and was one of the biggest control finishers for the longest time ever. Sure times have changed, but a big (E: and evasive) creature doesn't need to make an immediate impact if you've been telling your opponent "no" all game. Immediate impact helps seal the deal, but so does repeatably drawing a million cards.

Either way, I think the argument against RavSoul at the moment is that Aetherling does a better job sealing the deal. No card exists in a vacuum and until we see what this card's competition is in Khans, we won't honestly know if it sees play.

E: The thing that will make any of the souls relevant is the graveyard value anyway. Instant speed 3/3 or card draw from the graveyard is good.

You're talking about a different card and deck, though.

• Locked thread