Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

You mean like any forum community ever, right?

The reason people are posting on the forums is because they are not in game having fun? There isn't a reason to post on game forums when you could be playing unless you are disgruntled.

Since MWO, all game forums are now "the brown sea" for me.

Exactly. But the Wildstar community takes it to a new level. It's actually impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The reason people are posting on the forums is because they are not in game having fun? There isn't a reason to post on game forums when you could be playing unless you are disgruntled.

I went looking for a build on the class forums the other day instead of consulting the Goon Authority. I left a broken and bitter man and didn't even get build ideas.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What forums are you guys on? The Evindra ones are either just Guilds Recruitting or nonsense, and the Spellslinger one is pretty constructive. Either that or people crying about the price of Trigger Fingers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Just MWO? Every MMO forum I've ever seen is godawful, especially Eve Online's because we goons poisoned the well so hard with all of our trolling that someone studying Poes law could spend a year on there and not make heads nor tails of it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Nooo, the nerf to the technologist gravy train!

If only the talents working I'd be swimming in platinum.

So I'm no where near the end game because I keep playing alts, what are good items to try to flip in the AH? I don't really understand the late game economy. I need a way to make money now.

Edit: This is a really poor question. I can handle commodity trading okay, it's the actual item AH I don't understand. Not that I expect any great money making secrets to get out.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 20, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Eldercain posted:

There isn't even an excuse of it being :10bux: or requiring a smartphone since there are apps you can get on the computer you are ostensibly playing wildstar on that will do it. Plus it gives you a neat free buff! We had a req back in wow after a number of people cleared out the middle tier tab in the gbank that if you wanted to be promoted from scrubby rear end in a top hat rank to the rank that lets you into big boy raids that you had to prove you had auth stuff. People still made off with all the lowbie greens every once and a while but seriously if you paid 60bux + sub (which is a bit ridiculous in this day and age imo, but here I am) just do the dang auth.

I find the medic to have a really loose thematic thing going on, but the rotations are pretty tight. I guess you have weird guns-that-aren't-guns that don't shoot bullets but instead mostly shoot squares? Also probes and uh quasi combo points? Every mechanic we didn't use in other classes mashed into one.

I love my medic :kimchi:

Thematically it feels like a mass effect class, which is fun. The mechanics are a bit weird but somehow they mostly flow pretty well.

I do hope they make their dps better in raids, but I doubt I'll be raid ready in under a month (or even two, probably) so it's not a huge problem for me.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
There was a lot of negatively for a while, but I'm hearing more and more positive comments about this game on various Wildstar forums, sites and the Wildstar subreddit.

Also...I don't know if this is just me, but has the average age of your typical MMO player gone up? Maybe it's just a function of gamers aging, but most people I know who play wild star are in their 20s. But that could also be because I seek out people around my age.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is anyone else having problems getting kill challenges in Malgrave to start? I can't get the kill Dregg or kill Dust Digger challenges to start for me.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The official forums are pretty bad, but the caustic attitudes are easier to overlook than the multiple people roleplaying Chuas... incorrectly, too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Must be his first MMO. Lets list a few:

Anarchy Online was so broken at launch as to be completely unplayable. And I don't mean "The work arounds to this bug were so annoying I quit in frustration" I mean you couldn't do any missions/quests because you couldn't walk through the doors of the instanced quest zones. Walking between zones would often catapult you out of the game.

WoW launch you were lucky to even get onto a server for the first two weeks, and the classes were so broken that several of them were largely useless (Lookin at you Paladin/Hunter) and this went well on till the first expansion.

As a matter of fact the only MMO I've ever played from day 1 where I didn't have some loving madness to deal with was probably GW2, and it suffers from just being loving boring.

Yeah, SWTOR wasn't really that bad. some of it's raid bosses were bugged as poo poo at launch. But the leveling content was pretty solid considering the number of flags and other things they needed to keep track of.

At least Swtor didn't have a class that was impossible to heal under certain circumstances.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Uh.

The PVERP server exiles side has a ton of level 50's, hell I'll probably ding 50 tonight. And at least one guy has bought over a years gametime in cred off the market already (Our CRED prices are low).

What is the issue you are having?

I went pverp Dominion side. gently caress space hillbillies.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Radio Talmudist posted:

There was a lot of negatively for a while, but I'm hearing more and more positive comments about this game on various Wildstar forums, sites and the Wildstar subreddit.

Also...I don't know if this is just me, but has the average age of your typical MMO player gone up? Maybe it's just a function of gamers aging, but most people I know who play wild star are in their 20s. But that could also be because I seek out people around my age.

It's definitely a combination of both. I can't cite a source, but I remember some studies showing that the average age of gamers as well as MMORPG players is 25 or above.

Anyway, small hint for new players: once you reach level 14/15 and go to Illium/Thayd, one of the quests there will have you craft a rune. Do not do this. The preceding quest gives you four rune fragments. In Warbringer Dominion, that's 8g. You've basically paid for your first mount right there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

I think Wildstar has a lot of new product issues and maybe could have used a little more devtime but honestly it's enjoyable and refreshing to play. I hope they can get all their ducks in a row before Warlords of Draenor Open Beta and avoid a mass exodus.

I'm pretty sure that most of Wildstar's problems are due to their really kind of short-sighted weekly patch system, where all development happens rapidly on the content patch branch, and they backport fixes individually into the master for weekly patches. This system will probably be okay when the game is stable 6, 9, 12 months after release, but it's awfully dumb now when a ton of fixes need to be rolled out rapidly, and the result is a lot of patches that break more than they fix. The real test of if Carbine can handle an MMO is going to come with the ultra-drop, when they won't have any process-related excuses if everything's a catastrophe.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Radio Talmudist posted:

Honestly you don't get a lot of young'uns playing mmos because they actually have to BE at school and a lot of parents aren't going to just let their kid sit there for 8+ hours at a time grinding or whatever. Also you can't really raid if your mom makes you go eat dinner or whatever so I think they stick to blops and poo poo where they can yell immature slurs constantly and not get booted out of a guild. I remember being tenacious about learning even obtuse mechanics though, so it's possible.

Once you get to college you have way too much free time (depending on your aspirations, comp sci was like 0% homework and a couple days of intense programming now and then), and you don't have much accountability so you can really kick it up a notch. Depending on if you're having crippling unemployment issues you can have a lot of time working too, especially if you lack an SO or friends. MMOs are probably the biggest timesink and commitment to playing at x time, so people who can make their own schedule end up being most of the endgame.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

Yeah, SWTOR wasn't really that bad. some of it's raid bosses were bugged as poo poo at launch. But the leveling content was pretty solid considering the number of flags and other things they needed to keep track of.

At least Swtor didn't have a class that was impossible to heal under certain circumstances.

... Were you talking about the engineer? What is the current status on that bug?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Jesus, I just perused the forum on a break and everyone types like they have coke bottles taped to their fingers. We're not talking about ESL pidgin either.

EDIT: I mean firefox has spellcheck built in. What the hell.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

What kind of content do explorers get access to at the end game? For my next character I'm torn between explorer for fun content (If it exists) and settler for a sweet hat.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, your path has basically no bearing on what you do at endgame aside from a few minor changes (like vet malgrave trail). Once you hit 30, or whatever you care to reach for your path, it basically doesn't play any more part in your game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Christ, this game is so much more fun for me as a Stalker. 28 levels on my Esper feel wasted. :negative:

Combat feels a lot quicker, more energetic and about a hundred times more proactive.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So for settler, do those construction areas that go up end up being permanant buildings? Or is it just a big to-do about another temporary area?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Eldercain posted:

So for settler, do those construction areas that go up end up being permanant buildings? Or is it just a big to-do about another temporary area?

Temporary. How else would other settlers build them?

They rarely if ever do anything interesting, anyway.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liberatore posted:

Temporary. How else would other settlers build them?

They rarely if ever do anything interesting, anyway.

That isn't bloody well encouraging. Why the hell did people tell me to go settler anyways?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

That isn't bloody well encouraging. Why the hell did people tell me to go settler anyways?

Having an on-demand mailbox and vending machine is just so convenient later on.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Settler is amazing. The buffs are amazing. In Whitevale you get a buff that makes it so almost every eligible mob you kill drops an item that vendors for 10 silver. There are buffs for 20% deflect chance, 10% bonus XP and a bunch of other really good ones. You also get a cool hat. And the best abilities of any path.

We're talking about those big buildings you make, like the new arena in Bloodfire Village. They're just decoration as far as I can tell.

Edit: You also get to make banks, brokers and other useful NPCs in certain locations. Which is infinitely more useful than anything I can do as a Scientist.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 20, 2014

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Settler is so good that I am probably going to re-roll a level 16 warrior so he's a settler (gently caress scientist, yo) just for the hat.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Oh the temporary buffs and banks and poo poo are amazing and I love them, but it seems like a big PITA to have this huge construction zone for some temporary flavor. I thought they'd be one of those "takes a couple of weeks of effort from many settlers" kind of things that eventually makes the area fleshed out, and might not actually be required for progression through the zone/path. Like that stupid blood elf island or whatever it was.

Or like how the new EQ has player made content etc. I can't really complain since housing is boss but I feel like that's a missed opportunity.

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 20, 2014

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Really quite unhappy about nerfing eldan data fragments from two crafting professions. Eleven months of dailies to complete the recipes for just one crafting profession is god drat absurd. If some super-sperg manages to even finish such a bullshit requirement, there will probably be an expansion out by that time with whole new gear. What the gently caress is the point?

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing
Settler is handy for the mailbox and vendor, but I hate the quests. I only bother doing the "build a thing at all these locations" quests and the "build 249 points of upgrades in this zone" quests. All the other crap is just an obnoxious time sink.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why I would want to bother leveling settler any further. I'm not sure if there's other stuff to get or if I would want it.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any Add Ons that give pet dismissal as a right click action? Would it be possible to make one?

Pet Ability 3 in keybinds will dismiss your pets.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
This game has a way of generating Kodak moments. I put up the vending machine to repair some of my equipment.

This Chua in the group was completely spellbound by the machine. He stood there staring at it for the entire duration. Then just before I took the screenshot it turned around to glare at the camera. When the machine despawned. He jumped down the ledge and joined the rest of the party.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Jfizzoid posted:

Settler is handy for the mailbox and vendor, but I hate the quests. I only bother doing the "build a thing at all these locations" quests and the "build 249 points of upgrades in this zone" quests. All the other crap is just an obnoxious time sink.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why I would want to bother leveling settler any further. I'm not sure if there's other stuff to get or if I would want it.

Cooldown reductions on your path abilities and higher tier festival FAB kits, if you care about those, are the main rewards.

Every path has tedious missions. I've found Scientist to be the worst by far, and Soldier to be the best. Of course, Soldier also has the worst rewards, so it evens out. If it wasn't for addons pointing me to datacubes, I would kill myself.

Edit: I must get Scientist to 30 anyway, for that title. Also, after path level 30, any path XP you get turns into XP/elder gems/cash, so there's that too.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 20, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Liberatore posted:

Cooldown reductions on your path abilities and higher tier festival FAB kits, if you care about those, are the main rewards.

Every path has tedious missions. I've found Scientist to be the worst by far, and Soldier to be the best. Of course, Soldier also has the worst rewards, so it evens out. If it wasn't for addons pointing me to datacubes, I would kill myself.

Edit: I must get Scientist to 30 anyway, for that title. Also, after path level 30, any path XP you get turns into XP/elder gems/cash, so there's that too.

Do the festival FABkits do anything special or are they just your own party? I know some FABkits do.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I got an item from a Boombox that increases my Path Rank by 1. :whoa:

It's not super useful or anything, but I figure I can use it to get the 3 minute cooldown version of the Warrior Heal quickly, when I'm one level away from it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
My friend got an epic mount from a boombox. Hopefully that's not the only place those come from because it looks cool :(

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

jsr v2.0 posted:

I got an item from a Boombox that increases my Path Rank by 1. :whoa:

It's not super useful or anything, but I figure I can use it to get the 3 minute cooldown version of the Warrior Heal quickly, when I'm one level away from it.

Just a note about that before you use it, it DOES NOT match the XP you currently have on the next level. I.E. if you use it when your bar is 90% full, you will be bumped to the next level, but be back down at 0%.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Festival fabkits give you cooked food, really useful at max level when it's pumping out nice stat food.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Prism posted:

Do the festival FABkits do anything special or are they just your own party? I know some FABkits do.

At least for the first 4 levels of the thing, "festival" is a really REALLY misleading name for what you get.

Unlike say, the hobo train, which is exactly what it sounds like.

e: also why does a run down train need to be repaired for hobos to live in it? :iiam:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Eldercain posted:

e: also why does a run down train need to be repaired for hobos to live in it? :iiam:
They're hobos, man, not animals.

Has anyone made the Space Taco Stand yet?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Whitevale is so annoying.

Hey, wanna ride this bike/cow-thing?
Sure

*transported miles away from the rest of your unfinished quests*

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Well what did you think was going to happen?

• Locked thread