Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

Are Bestiary preorders arriving for folks? I think they were shipping around now.

The Bestiary supposedly shipped to reship locations in the first week of June according to Pelgrane. Which tells me approximately nothing in terms of when I can expect it to arrive. They need to give us some solid information on this, I'm getting really tired of waiting for this thing that I paid for a long time ago. And that goes double for 13 True Ways, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Dionysos510 posted:

The Bestiary supposedly shipped to reship locations in the first week of June according to Pelgrane. Which tells me approximately nothing in terms of when I can expect it to arrive. They need to give us some solid information on this, I'm getting really tired of waiting for this thing that I paid for a long time ago. And that goes double for 13 True Ways, by the way.

I agree, and hope to have an update when Cat gets back from Origins on Wednesday.

e: Where did you hear that the Bestiary shipped to reship locations in the first week of June?

waderockett fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 16, 2014

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012

waderockett posted:

I agree, and hope to have an update when Cat gets back from Origins on Wednesday.

e: Where did you hear that the Bestiary shipped to reship locations in the first week of June?

On June 5th, in a thread on the Pelgrane Press forum, people were asking about the Bestiary. Simon said "It's shipping to reship locations this week." We've asked over there for details on what that means in terms of when we'll get it (I have no idea how long it takes for the shipping to the reship locations, or how long it takes those locations to get them back out the door). Haven't heard anything. All the delays and spotty communication are starting to get tiresome.

That last bit isn't directed at you, and I appreciate your response.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Gotcha, thanks.

The delays are awful and we're all unhappy about them. Now that Pelgrane has a stable of seasoned designers and developers who know how to design for the system, it shouldn't afflict future products.

Part of the communication problem is that Pelgrane is a tiny publisher with no full time employees. When something happens that takes someone out of the picture such as a family emergency or a convention, communication is severely delayed.

The other part is that printers are not great at communicating with publishers. When Cat gets back from Origins she might know what the status of the book is, or she'll take over from Simon in chasing after the printer for a status update.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Awww yiss. Just found out I get to go to Gencon for a day this year. Wife's parents will be in town and volunteered to watch the kids.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

-Fish- posted:

Awww yiss. Just found out I get to go to Gencon for a day this year. Wife's parents will be in town and volunteered to watch the kids.

Now to figure out which 13th Age game to play in. :)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Kenderama posted:

Now to figure out which 13th Age game to play in. :)

Also what day I'm going. Also what stuff I'm working on to bring.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
I finished writeups for the Eldcaller, Theurge and Martial Artist and they're all available here. G+ announcement in the morning.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hey, Ryven, since you're the one who put the link to it on the Vault, do you have any idea when/if the Defender will be finished? Because that class looks hella fun, and I would love to see all the missing information filled in so that I could play one some day.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Hey, Ryven, since you're the one who put the link to it on the Vault, do you have any idea when/if the Defender will be finished? Because that class looks hella fun, and I would love to see all the missing information filled in so that I could play one some day.

That's ASH LAW's class and odds are he's probably never going to touch it again. The man is busy like you wouldn't believe. If you like the class, maybe consider cleaning it up yourself? :)

..and actually, that's the last one unclaimed. Christopher Allen posted the Fury himself and the the Thaumineer and Elemental Knight have their own uncredited writeups so I'll just change that to say Defender, I guess.

RyvenCedrylle fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 20, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I finished writeups for the Eldcaller, Theurge and Martial Artist and they're all available here. G+ announcement in the morning.
So for the Eldcaller, is it a typo that his basic Melee attack defaults to

quote:

Attack: Dexterity + Level vs. AC
Hit: WEAPON + Dexterity damage
instead of Strength for each? Given that the character creation write-up says it's Strength unless you have Trickster. And (less mechanics and more just, cool factor), man the Major Calling Boons are all really cool. Especially Thought Lords.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

As always, I am impressed by the ready-to-publish nature of your work.

Nice work on the Martial Artist. I particularly like how you can switch forms basically at-will, instead of being locked in to some "uber-lawful" move progression. On the other hand, I actually wanted a Monk that was MORE wuxia/anime... seems like I have a new project.

I'll take a closer look later at the Theurge-- I had started work on a talent-only caster class after the Stalwart, but it really never came together. Curious to see your completed class.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

So for the Eldcaller, is it a typo that his basic Melee attack defaults to

instead of Strength for each? Given that the character creation write-up says it's Strength unless you have Trickster. And (less mechanics and more just, cool factor), man the Major Calling Boons are all really cool. Especially Thought Lords.

yep. That it is. I will wait to see if anyone else discovers any typos before updating.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Earthorn posted:

As always, I am impressed by the ready-to-publish nature of your work.

Nice work on the Martial Artist. I particularly like how you can switch forms basically at-will, instead of being locked in to some "uber-lawful" move progression. On the other hand, I actually wanted a Monk that was MORE wuxia/anime... seems like I have a new project.

It's funny you'd say that because I'm actually very annoyed by the fact that the official Monk ISN'T locked into an uber-lawful move progression, or rather that following an uber-lawful move progression doesn't give you some kind of extra bonus.

groovetastic
May 15, 2013
Hey Goons,

Running Star Wars D20 Saga using 13th Age Icons and OUT. So far, the two players who have made PCs have reacted very positively. I think Icons work amazingly for games set in the Star Wars setting.

My game is set right after Yavin. My one rule is that the Icons will default to their canon expressions, but a player who puts points into an Icon gets some say in who or what they are (for example, a female Dark Lord or Emperor, a leader of the Rebellion who is not Mon Mothma, etc.)

Edited - I forgot to include The True Danger - for each Icon! I just added them.

Here are my Icons -

The Emperor. Due to his villainous nature, it’s impossible to have a positive relationship with the ruler of the Galactic Empire, however a conflicted relationship is certainly possible, as he seeks to use the PC for his own ends.

The True Danger - If the Emperor can cause the inheritor(s) of the legacy of the Jedi Knights to fail or fall to the Dark Side, the galaxy is doomed.

The Dark Lord. The Emperor’s right hand, this Dark Lord of the Sith serves loyally but plots against his master, as all Sith apprentices do. The Dark Lord may seek to use the PC against the Emperor or for other ends. Usually either a negative or conflicted relationship, but rarely a positive one.

The True Danger - If the Dark Lord succeeds and deposes the Emperor, his reign of terror will be even worse than his old master's.

The Grand Moff. Also an enemy relationship, the Grand Moff seeks to crush the Rebellion and loyally serve his master, the Emperor. He may or may not have a good relationship with the Dark Lord. Steely,disciplined, yet pragmatic and ruthless, he can have a conflicted relationship with heroes. These may be relatives, or honored opponents. While certainly ruthless and capable of terrible things (such as the destruction of entire worlds), he can certainly have admiration and respect for capable foes.

The True Danger - If the Grand Moff succeeds in his plans, the Empire will rule the galaxy forever, with the light of freedom extinguished.

The Crime Lord. This master of the underworld rules a huge portion of the galactic crime syndicates from his fortress palace. The PC may owe him, or maybe they can do good business.

The True Danger - If the Crime Lord succeeds in his manuevers, then the destructive chaos of the conflict between the Empire and the Rebellion will last forever.

The Pirate King. The leader of a great armada of pirates scattered across the galaxy, the Pirate King is dashing and neutral in the war between the Rebels and the Empire. He’s interested in profit and success first, and is always open to a deal that will benefit him. The relationship between him and a PC will probably be very personal. The Pirate King hates the Crime Lord but must work with him and doesn't get along with the Mandalore, because they are in many ways the same.

The True Danger - If the Pirate King can't be swayed to take the side of the Rebellion, or worse, joins forces with the Crime Lord and the Mandalore, the galaxy could be split in 3.

The Mandalore. Leader of the resurgent Mandalorian warriors, he and his offer their services to the highest bidder. Brutal and brilliant, he and his troops will always keep to the contract and offer their services to the rebels, empire and whoever else can pay. Possessed of his own honor, the Mandalore seeks glory and challenge beyond all else. Whoever’s side he joins can win the war.

The True Danger - If the Mandalore is not dealt with or made into an ally, his army can ignite the galaxy into perpetual warfare.

The Last Jedi Master. Wise and powerful, yet very old, he or she seeks to restore the flame of freedom to the galaxy. Any relationships will involve restoring the Jedi Knights and overthrowing the Emperor and the Dark Lord, who he or she may have personally defeated. Usually a positive relationship, especially for PCs who seek to recover the secrets of the Force and become Jedi Knights (or conflicted,if the PC is slipping down the dark path or is becoming closer to the Dark Lord.) Not all of his allies need to be Force Users, as the Last Jedi Master will happily lend wisdom and counsel to anyone who seeks to restore the Republic. However, he serves the Force first and foremost.

The True Danger - If the Last Jedi Master fails, then he or she might create the Next Dark Lord, or the Jedi Way might be extinguished forever.

The Leader of the Rebellion. Inspirational, yet tough and cagey, this person leads a rag tag band of guerillas and has forged them into an army that is actually a true threat to the Galactic Empire. In friendly and conflicted relationships, the Rebel Leader will want to work with the PC to restore the Republic, making available the limited yet potent resources of the Rebel Alliance.

The True Danger - If the Leader of the Rebellion fails, then the Rebellion will fall and the galaxy will be consumed by unending tyranny and horror. If the Leader of the Rebellion loses sight of the principles of the Rebellion, then the Alliance could become another Empire.

The Spymaster. The leader of the Rebellion’s vast spy network, he’s dedicated to overthrowing the Empire and freeing the galaxy, but makes use of methods which the the Leader of the Rebellion must disavow and which the Last Jedi Master would not approve of. He’s the ruthless side of the revolution,but ultimately does care for the people of the galaxy. It’s he who gives the orders to Rebel assassins and spies, and supplies them with what they need. He often has an agenda different from that of the Leader of the Rebellion, and their agendas occasionally clash.

The True Danger - If the Spymaster loses sight of the moral principles of the Rebellion, then the Alliance can do more harm to the galaxy than good.

I can use a few more to spice things up.

groovetastic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

When are you running this game and can my wife and I join?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

What Fish said. Holy crap that looks amazing.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Organized Play question - after my current long-running Spycraft campaign concludes (first ever level 1 to level 20 run in any campaign, holy crap) I'm considering starting up a 13A campaign for a group of 4-5 folks online. I've already signed up for the Organized Play and have links to all the games currently available - how have people run these continuity-wise before for established groups vs. fluctuating ones? I see that the OP adventures start at level 2, and each level has multiple tracks happening effectively in parallel - not sure that my group would enjoy having multiple characters.

Ideas?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started doing Organized Play with the beginning of the Orc Lord trilogy. Everyone's been okay with the parallel adventures (although the two-week dungeon we just finished was a nice pallet cleanser), and as people who're used to organized play from Encounters they didn't have a problem with making new characters all the time.

In fact, they like it more because unlike Encounters you're not starting at level 1 every season, and in the higher-level adventures you can bring in characters from the low-level ones.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

groovetastic posted:

I can use a few more to spice things up.

Something like these? The Liberator's a populist Icon good for PCs who want to be a man/woman of the people, and The Independents make for fun Cold War-esque shenanigans where open conflict is not an option.

The Liberator. Former slave and informal leader of the growing and largely non-human opposition to the Empire among the poor, dispossessed, or outright enslaved. The Liberator is a revolutionary, preparing for the day the Empire pushes too hard and open revolt is inevitable. Not necessarily well armed or funded, the Liberator nonetheless has eyes and ears across the entire galaxy. Vehemently opposed to the Empire, and frequently allied with the Rebels, but not necessarily the Republic. Said to have a personal vendetta against the Crime Lord, who is heavily involved in the slave trade, but the two occasionally and grudgingly do business out of necessity.

The True Danger: if The Liberator were to rise up alone, the galaxy would drown in blood.

The Independents. Actually a loose coalition of three/five/eight/etc. governing bodies, the Independents represent several powerful neighboring systems that for logistical, economic, or military reasons have never been subject to Republic or Imperial control. They cherish their neutrality, and take care not to publicly favor any side in the ongoing civil war. They maintain carefully distant and nuanced diplomatic relationships with the other Icons. Privately, they do not trust the Emperor's expansionist policies, though they value their neutrality over seemingly anything the Leader of the Rebellion could offer. They have an ongoing conflict with the Pirate King, who relishes the challenge of their incredibly valuable but heavily defended trade convoys.

The True Danger: if The Independents were to throw their vast industrial might behind the Empire, the Rebellion would fail.

groovetastic
May 15, 2013

-Fish- posted:

When are you running this game and can my wife and I join?

I am actually organizing this as a roll20/Skype game. Anyone who is interested, please send me a PM and we can exchange info. We're looking at every other sunday.

groovetastic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 20, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Ryven, can I ask you to put this final draft of the Seeker in a pretty picture PDF?

Also, would it be kosher to put the polished version up on DTRPG as Pay What You Want?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Podima posted:

Organized Play question - after my current long-running Spycraft campaign concludes (first ever level 1 to level 20 run in any campaign, holy crap) I'm considering starting up a 13A campaign for a group of 4-5 folks online. I've already signed up for the Organized Play and have links to all the games currently available - how have people run these continuity-wise before for established groups vs. fluctuating ones? I see that the OP adventures start at level 2, and each level has multiple tracks happening effectively in parallel - not sure that my group would enjoy having multiple characters.

Ideas?

Crown of the Lich King, Wyrd of the Wild Wood, Quest in the Cathedral and Shadowport Shuffle are all level 2. Screamhaunt, Fungaloid Infection and Tower of the Ogre Mage are all level 3. Wrath of the Orc Lord, Elf Queen's Enchantment and Domain of the Dwarf King are all level 4. Each module is made up of six two-hour (that's the goal anyway) sessions. If you want the storyline bits condensed into a more linear structure, here's my suggestion:

Overall: Skip optional fights and hand out incremental advances after every 2-3 "weeks" as listed in the modules.

Level 1 - Run all of Wyrd of the Wild Wood and then select your 10-12 favorite encounters from Quest in the Cathedral (It's not our best work). Level 1 characters should still be able to handle most of what's going on. Drop ACs by 2 and damage per strike by 3-5 if you need to adjust. The party seeks out the Priestess' help for all the craziness going on in the Wild Wood and though they don't get her, they do enlist the help of the Oracle. You need to introduce or at least reference the Darkskye diamond and the Oracle. You also need a reason for the group to be in debt to the Prince of Shadows by the end of level 1.

Level 2 - Start Shadowport Shuffle. Once the party finds the Winter Seal, send them on Crown of the Lich King. At the end of Crown, run week 2 and 5 of Shadowport. The Darkskye diamond reappears in week 2 and week 5 points them towards the orcs. Week 2 also gives you a lead into Fungaloid Infection

Level 3 - Run Fungaloid Infection and either Screamhaunt or Tower as monster-of-the week type deals. They're not really in the plotline very much. If you can have your players use a second set of characters for this module, do so. It will make more sense in a minute. Helpful, not necessary.

Level 4 - Have another set of 4th level characters (the ones from Fungaloid if you talked them into it) run Wrath of the Orc Lord and insert section 5.3 from Elf Queen's Enchantment somewhere once the party hits Scarsdale. You can steal other encounters or scenes from Elf Queen to fill out Orc Lord if you want. The Oracle shows up again here so they need to know who she is. Then return to the main group and run through Domain of the Dwarf King. There's just really no way to make this linear.

There is in fact an actual storyline for the Tales though I can't say too much about it at this point, both because we don't want to spoil things and because a lot of it is still up in the air.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Ryven, can I ask you to put this final draft of the Seeker in a pretty picture PDF?

Also, would it be kosher to put the polished version up on DTRPG as Pay What You Want?

It's your class, do what you want with it. I'll get started on the layout soon-ish.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm probably just overlooking where it is, but the way the manual refers to powers seems to imply that you pick a limited number of them. However, nowhere in the rules can I find the bit that says how many.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm probably just overlooking where it is, but the way the manual refers to powers seems to imply that you pick a limited number of them. However, nowhere in the rules can I find the bit that says how many.

It depends on your class. Look at the Wizard, for example: you can have up to 5 spells prepared at level 1, plus your utility spell. Fighters, on the other hand, pick 3 maneuvers at level 1.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

everythingWasBees posted:

In the class section there are the charts that tell you how many of each class ability, HP, feats, and if applicable powers that you get at each level.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

MadScientistWorking posted:

In the class section there are the charts that tell you how many of each class ability, HP, feats, and if applicable powers that you get at each level.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

It depends on your class. Look at the Wizard, for example: you can have up to 5 spells prepared at level 1, plus your utility spell. Fighters, on the other hand, pick 3 maneuvers at level 1.

I have no idea how I missed that! Thank you both very much.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Hey Captain Walker, shoot me an email when you get a minute. I have questions.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RyvenCedrylle posted:

There is in fact an actual storyline for the Tales though I can't say too much about it at this point, both because we don't want to spoil things and because a lot of it is still up in the air.

This was super helpful, thank you!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Hey Captain Walker, shoot me an email when you get a minute. I have questions.

sssshooop

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

It's funny you'd say that because I'm actually very annoyed by the fact that the official Monk ISN'T locked into an uber-lawful move progression, or rather that following an uber-lawful move progression doesn't give you some kind of extra bonus.

Well, you're right: a Monk doesn't HAVE to stick to the progression-- unless he wants to use any sweet flow and finishing attacks.

A talent that gives monks a cumulative bonus every time they complete a form would be amusing, although definitely not my style.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

But... Following the progression lets you use your biggest attacks, and also gives you the bonus to defenses, which are very important if you don't want your monk dying horribly.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You can switch between forms at will as long as you go opening->flow->finisher, though. Which is what I prefer compared to the alternative of having to stick with one form over three rounds.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
has anyone had any experience playing as an Occultist? I was planning to roll one for fun, but... it seems weirdly half-baked. the narrative elements are all great, but the mechanics seem really simple and bland. the shadow talent is a good example-- you have a temporal duplicate, a strange otherworldly presence, but all it does is absorb a bit of damage until epic tier.

for a class that is designed to tear apart spacetime and rebuild it, the class sure seems to just deal psychic damage on a few different triggers and allow one or two rerolls. the description implies strategy is important, choosing when to trigger what spell, but when almost every spell just deals damage, I don't see any reason not to just activate them as soon as possible. I was hoping for a class built around strange effects and consequences, not a caster who deals damage at odd times.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Haven't had a chance to play any of the three new classes, I want to really bad but there aren't enough 13th Age games on the forums. Speaking of I just started a 13th Age recruit, in the hopes that it will get someone else to run one.

It is Investigating Greenhill if anyone is interested. And with any luck it will get people to run some more games so I can try all these classes I have been wanting to try.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

PlasmaMan posted:

has anyone had any experience playing as an Occultist? I was planning to roll one for fun, but... it seems weirdly half-baked. the narrative elements are all great, but the mechanics seem really simple and bland. the shadow talent is a good example-- you have a temporal duplicate, a strange otherworldly presence, but all it does is absorb a bit of damage until epic tier.

for a class that is designed to tear apart spacetime and rebuild it, the class sure seems to just deal psychic damage on a few different triggers and allow one or two rerolls. the description implies strategy is important, choosing when to trigger what spell, but when almost every spell just deals damage, I don't see any reason not to just activate them as soon as possible. I was hoping for a class built around strange effects and consequences, not a caster who deals damage at odd times.

nthing this. It's too bad really, the class is so flavorful.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

But... Following the progression lets you use your biggest attacks, and also gives you the bonus to defenses, which are very important if you don't want your monk dying horribly.

To clarify, I'm using uber-lawful to mean "use all three Claws of the Panther attacks in a row." For the sake of necessary flexibility, you have to be able to switch back and forth between forms but I would have liked a little extra oomph on the Finisher if you stayed 'loyal' to the form for the full three steps.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

nthing this. It's too bad really, the class is so flavorful.

Yeah, it was a really weird experience when you were playing one - I don't know if it's the way you built yours or what, but it played like a Bard, but even more passive. There's flavor there, but it didn't actually congrue with how the class actually performed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well I'm excited for Free RPG Day tomorrow. I've got all the miniatures I need, a working grasp of the adventure, and some rad character standees I made out of printed Baldur's Gate portraits and a pizza box. (Minsc should probably sit this one out.) There's also a ton of Warhammer terrain at the shop, which could be useful in some scenes.

I'm a little worried that the LGS is doing this free-form no signups, but I've been doing what I can to drum up interest.