Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2014/06/g-temple-plastic-model-runner-sprue.html

Oh god where has this been all my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That is surprisingly useful and I'm amazed I never thought of something similar. :eyepop:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it really shouldn't come labelled since there are sprues like G2.

I'm so going to make my own from wood

Caros
May 14, 2008

I want it I want it I want it I want it.....

Yeah, with that out of the way it is kinda a pain since it lacks numbered sprues, but you can stack those at the end. I'm ordering one as soon as it goes on sale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't see the point of it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

It's an easy way to organize sprues by their letter as opposed to having to waste time going through 4 grey plates trying to see which one has the "F" on it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I can see how it would be handy if you are like me and don't have a big work area that you can lay all your trees out on while you work, and when you aren't working and can't just leave them on your desk it makes the overall footprint much smaller.

The labeling is flawed but the idea is nice, I sometimes wish I could tell at a glance which was which, since the label is the same color as the rest of the tree and not in a uniform place all the time.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 20, 2014

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

It's an easy way to organize sprues by their letter as opposed to having to waste time going through 4 grey plates trying to see which one has the "F" on it.

Don't you lay them out alphabetically anyways? And it makes it harder to see the actual parts. And think of all the time your losing when you have to keep putting them back inside the rack thing.

Blackchamber posted:

I can see how it would be handy if you are like me and don't have a big work area that you can lay all your trees out on while you work, and when you aren't working and can't just leave them on your desk it makes the overall footprint much smaller.

The labeling is flawed but the idea is nice, I sometimes wish I could tell at a glance which was which, since the label is the same color as the rest of the tree and not in a uniform place all the time.

How small of an area are you working with because I do all my modeling on a card table and I've never had space issues.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 20, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't you lay them out alphabetically anyways? And it makes it harder to see the actual parts. And think of all the time your losing when you have to keep putting them back inside the rack thing.

I don't know what kind of giant workbench you have but I don't have room to be laying out every plate alphabetically and still have room to work with. Not to mention that having them all standing vertically in order makes for a much cleaner setup.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

I normally try to cut out all the pieces at the same time I'm working on a section. I look through the instructions, See how many "G" parts there are on an arm and cut them out. I don't think I'd get that much use out of it.

It's a pretty neat idea though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm working on a desk that has a bunch of books, all my tool drawers, a printer, the telephone, office supplies, and oftentimes my laptop.
That thing is like a godsend.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

How small of an area are you working with because I do all my modeling on a card table and I've never had space issues.

I have two desks pushed together actually, but I have my airbrush booth, a shelf for my paints, and two computer monitors on it.

I usually end up laying one or two trees on my keyboard, one propped up in the box they came in, and then working in the space between my booth and the computer stuff.

I could disassemble my booth when I'm not painting but I prefer to leave it out so I can paint pieces as I finish them rather than painting it all at the end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I have two desks pushed together actually, but I have my airbrush booth, a shelf for my paints, and two computer monitors on it.

I usually end up laying one or two trees on my keyboard, one propped up in the box they came in, and then working in the space between my booth and the computer stuff.

I could disassemble my booth when I'm not painting but I prefer to leave it out so I can paint pieces as I finish them rather than painting it all at the end.

Are you painting on your computer desk? If not then why the monitors? I work on my card table specifically so I can break it down quickly if I need the room for other things. And if I need more plamo room I just bust out another table. Breaking it down when your not using it also helps stop the table from accumulating junk because you can't set things on it.

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm working on a desk that has a bunch of books, all my tool drawers, a printer, the telephone, office supplies, and oftentimes my laptop.
That thing is like a godsend.

Instead of buying a rack thing you could move all that poo poo off your desk.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i guess people just...do things differently?? :eyepop:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Instead of buying a rack thing you could move all that poo poo off your desk.

It's the only usable surface I have besides some shelves, that's not for eating. :shrug:

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 20, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
You could get a slotted dish drying rack for about a buck.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpikeMcclane posted:

you go to hell. Everything I own needs to be hobby specific and marked up

This looks pretty good and it satisfies my need to overspend
http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-32070-Kitchen-Organizer-Chrome/dp/B0018BRMV0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1403330130

and its chrome :v:

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 21, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

Thank you, for this

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've tried dish racks, they don't work so great for the purpose.

My work table is quite small and gets easily swamped with parts, tools, containers etc. Anything that's going to streamline that situation even a little bit is worth the IMO.

edit: something to hold the instruction manual upright and open would be nice, too.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 21, 2014

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

My work table is quite small and gets easily swamped with parts, tools, containers etc. Anything that's going to streamline that situation even a little bit is worth the IMO.

edit: something to hold the instruction manual upright and open would be nice, too.

I've seen things like that at a library its a a two legged thing with teeth to hold the book that should work for your purpose but I don't know what you'd google to find them.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Buy a folding music stand, pretty handy, and cheap.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That is so close to being a solution, but I'm guessing that without some sort of backing it's not going to hold the sheets very well.

I'd also need something that can go on the desktop. With my eyesight, something off to the side of the desk might as well be across the room.

edit" VVV that would work well enough maybe, but there's no real page support. Something like this with an open top and sides would be close to ideal, but I don't know that any such thing exists.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 21, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This thing might work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This was the thing I was talking about.

Bimmi posted:

edit" VVV that would work well enough maybe, but there's no real page support. Something like this with an open top and sides would be close to ideal, but I don't know that any such thing exists.

Get one of those and hold the paper with some of these.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binder_clip

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

That is so close to being a solution, but I'm guessing that without some sort of backing it's not going to hold the sheets very well.

I'd also need something that can go on the desktop. With my eyesight, something off to the side of the desk might as well be across the room.

Music stands hold both loose-leaf sheets and books held open to a specific page. MG and PG manuals will fit perfectly. HG manuals will work OK. You can adjust the height down to a foot or take it apart and mount the stand and/or shaft on another base or clip it to the side of the table.

Maybe look for a recipe book holder too.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

When is the next event for new model kit announcements?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Can anyone point me to a site that sells replacement joints? Some digging found an old HG Epyon model I had, but a wing and arm fell off when I picked it up, plus its not keeping poses in general. This was before I cared about painting or anything, so I'm going to use it to learn before I tackle a newer model.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 21, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fooley posted:

Can anyone point me to a site that sells replacement joints? Some digging found an old HG Epyon model I had, but a wing and arm fell off when I picked it up, plus its not keeping poses in general. This was before I cared about painting or anything, so I'm going to use it to learn before I tackle a newer model.

You're NEVER going to find replacement joints for something as old as HG Epyon, and HG kits back then aren't exactly known for their great poseability or sturdiness anyway. I suggest you use HG Epyon as scrap plastic to practice your painting, then buy the MG Epyon so you'll have an Epyon worth displaying.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Has there been a Perfect Gundam kit announced due to Build Fighters? I really want a modern version of that model.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's still only the old MG of it, sorry.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Red Bones posted:

When is the next event for new model kit announcements?

I believe that'd be the Plamo-Rajicon Show in mid-October. Whatever "big" release Bandai has planned for December, if any, will be shown there.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

TaurusOxford posted:

You're NEVER going to find replacement joints for something as old as HG Epyon, and HG kits back then aren't exactly known for their great poseability or sturdiness anyway. I suggest you use HG Epyon as scrap plastic to practice your painting, then buy the MG Epyon so you'll have an Epyon worth displaying.

Yeah. I was kind of hoping things had stayed standard and I could just get a handful of each of the different ones, but its not big deal. PLus I'm missing a ton of other little parts...

And now that I look the MG is pretty sexy so, thanks for the help.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Whats the best way to dust models without knocking bits off?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Hatter posted:

Whats the best way to dust models without knocking bits off?

Compressed air, if that doesnt do it you then you need more force and knocked bits off is inevitable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Or you could just use a duster gently.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cotton swabs work well too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Flat brushes will also work. Alternately, get a micro attachment set for standard vacuum cleaners or a cheap mini computer vacuum.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
I found a really fluffy feather duster lying around home the other day, it worked amazingly.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just leave my models in their boxes unbuilt so they cant ever get dusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fauxtool posted:

I just leave my models in their boxes unbuilt so they cant ever get dusty.

Pretty much this.

• Locked thread