Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Staff, shield, scepter and greatsword look great if you ask me. Sword must be one of my least favorite ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

LtSmash posted:

We get it you don't give a gently caress about how long it takes to do anything. Now shut the gently caress up about it. Some people do care so don't throw a temper tantrum every time someone mentions stats especially since it was in direct response to a question.

:ssj:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LtSmash posted:

We get it you don't give a gently caress about how long it takes to do anything. Now shut the gently caress up about it. Some people do care so don't throw a temper tantrum every time someone mentions stats especially since it was in direct response to a question.

5% is pretty hefty for some classes, too. As a backstab thief 5% can be 700, 800 additional damage in a single strike.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I assume if you craft an ascended weapon you get to pick the skin color? Some of them look pretty cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
I got one from esportsing, but it was some fuckugly green color with healing power (I think) so it's just sitting in my bank.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The color of the weapon is dependable on its stats, unfortunately.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Hefty posted:

I assume if you craft an ascended weapon you get to pick the skin color? Some of them look pretty cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
I got one from esportsing, but it was some fuckugly green color with healing power (I think) so it's just sitting in my bank.
Color depends on stat set. So if you don't like the color for stats you want, you have to craft two weapons and then transmute skin.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Edit: too slow. Anyway, here's a handy chart of ascended weapon colors:

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 20, 2014

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Sareed ignore all this bad advice and just look for the shoes that most expose that which you love.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the absolutely highest amount of damage you can get anyway? Optimum conditions of course.

I assume its thief backstab.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Softface posted:

I got a bunch of Ascended weapons, not because of the stats but because they look nice when they glow.

My well-ingrained MMO compulsions prevent me from letting a day go by without using the silk weaving thread cooldown so here I am with most of a set of armor. Please send help, it's really eating into my princess outfit budget.

And the fabulous lavendar/rainbow weapons are Celestial, if anyone was going to ask.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Forgall posted:

Color depends on stat set. So if you don't like the color for stats you want, you have to craft two weapons and then transmute skin.

I really only care about the skins. If the stats happen to be good, that's a bonus. I guess I'll see how much of a pain in the rear end it is. I've got all these pink mats cluttering up my bank anyway.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

When you boil it down to pure cost in materials, I think it's something around 50-60g per weapon if you simply buy all the mats.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Batham posted:

When you boil it down to pure cost in materials, I think it's something around 50-60g per weapon if you simply buy all the mats.

That's without taking into count a 500 rank crafting skill. That poo poo is where the real costs come in, though you only need to do it once.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Batham posted:

That's not to bad.

poo poo, I might have to get to 500 after all.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I thought all the ascended materials were account bound.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hefty posted:

I thought all the ascended materials were account bound.

Some of them are (ie. Dragonite), poo poo like Damask Bolts are not.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

That's without taking into count a 500 rank crafting skill. That poo poo is where the real costs come in, though you only need to do it once.

If done intelligently, 400>500 isn't expensive.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Alteisen posted:

What is the absolutely highest amount of damage you can get anyway? Optimum conditions of course.

I assume its thief backstab.

I think eviscerate might hit harder with all the damage multipliers warriors can get + strength runes for another 7%

Not really sure though tbh

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Don't forget the crazzy spikes elementalist can do. Sure, they'll keel over if you simply stare at them when then go for maximum spike/burst damage, but that's not the point here. :v:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The target needs to be a critter, too. Those things receive ridiculous amounts of damage, almost as if they have negative defense.

My largest hit on a real target was a fiery greatsword attack chain that ended up dealing over 100,000 damage to Tequatl. It's amazing what 25 stacks of Might does to your damage.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Not sure if the specific question was about the highest damage possible from a single attack, but if it was, it is probably: Kill Shot > Eviserate>= Backstab

Killshot (Adrenal 3): ~3.25x multiplier
Eviscerate (Adrenal 3): ~3.00x multiplier
Backstab (from behind): ~2.4x myltiplier

Not counting traits like Thieves' Executioner or Warriors's Berserker Power / Desperate Power

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 20, 2014

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
The meta dps, ignoring fgs wall rush, is:

(1) campfire ele (sit in melee and spam staff fire auto attack, lava font, and arcane wave/blast to maintain 100% uptime on arcane insight

(2) three musketeers mesmer (3x iSwordsman)

(3) backstabbing thief

(4) pure derpsword warrior (1hb spam got a huge boost with the latest patch)

Everything else. Rangers and necromancers are at the bottom of the raw dps tables, but Ranger is in the team party meta because of spotter and the might/fury uptime it provides, iirc.

Fake edit: scholar runes are still #1 for dps.

Erdricks fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 21, 2014

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

daspope posted:

Comrade Potatoes wanted a PvE condi thief build. Here's something that should be relatively easy to gear for.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQRAoY4Yl8Mp5pFOx3J0PNhMh47226Fo7lVPC-ThyCABAcCAUVJIK6HMw8nRK/u4BAMxBB4G1fmZ/BKOCAECYxcA-e

You can go cheap and get major sigils of energy and battle. Or, buy a claw of desert. That might be a decent deal.

There might be a more effective build with aristocracy, precision, and earth sigils, but I think it'd be more of a pain in the rear end to play for marginal gains.

From a few days back, but thanks for this. Funnily enough, I opened a wvwvw rank up chest today and got and Occam's (carrion) Ascended Box out of it. RNGsus be praised!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kessel posted:

GW1 attempted to introduce mob AI that avoided AOE too.

It was unfun as poo poo and they eventually relegated that to hard mode and tweaked it so that the mobs would at least stand in the first bit of any AOE over time.
Also, iirc it basically killed elementalists and ushered in the iron rule of necromancers because their AOE was exempt.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, iirc it basically killed elementalists and ushered in the iron rule of necromancers because their AOE was exempt.

That plus hard mode for a long time had a pretty sizeable armor increase on mobs due to their higher level, and almost all elementalist damage was subject to reduction by armor while necros and mesmers had a lot of armor ignoring spells and the +damage on physical attack skills ignored armor as well. And then you also add in that much of Eye of the North had destroyers, who were immune to burning and had even more armor against fire and earth damage. Those were not fun times for eles who wanted to actually do damage with ele skills. Anet's solution for quite some time was to give eles a pve skill that was just a straight percent damage buff such that ele skill bars were like 50+% basically passive skills. Eventually they reduced hard mode armor and increased health to compensate, but that was over a year later.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

daspope posted:

If done intelligently, 400>500 isn't expensive.

If you can get a weapon crafting class to be under 100G, 400 to 500, then I'd be interested. Last time I checked it was about 250 for weaponsmith and 180 or so for the bow and gun one.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
3 Engineer only, no attack, turret only cm run.

Boring but easy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sprite141 posted:

If you can get a weapon crafting class to be under 100G, 400 to 500, then I'd be interested. Last time I checked it was about 250 for weaponsmith and 180 or so for the bow and gun one.

http://www.gw2crafts.net

It's about 115g for each of the three professions, based on current market values.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

Alteisen posted:

That's not to bad.

poo poo, I might have to get to 500 after all.

No more wildstar guest passes then?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

central posted:

No more wildstar guest passes then?

???

I don't get it.

I still have all 3. :confused:

Unless you mean if mine ran out or something, I have no need for one, I own the full game.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 21, 2014

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Visidan posted:

3 Engineer only, no attack, turret only cm run.

Boring but easy.

Bonus points for the half naked Asura.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
Are ascended gears necessary to run dungeons and just do random events? I don't plan on doing fractal runs or anything. I'm a pretty casual player and I have full exotics right now.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

tvayisnihyaami posted:

Are ascended gears necessary to run dungeons and just do random events? I don't plan on doing fractal runs or anything. I'm a pretty casual player and I have full exotics right now.

If anyone demands that you have ascended gear for anything that isn't high-level fractals, ignore them and find another group. Exotics (hell, even greens) are fine to use in everything.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax

ApeHawk posted:

If anyone demands that you have ascended gear for anything that isn't high-level fractals, ignore them and find another group. Exotics (hell, even greens) are fine to use in everything.

yay thanks!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tvayisnihyaami posted:

The only thing you 'need' at level 80 are exotic versions of the main weapons that you use. Not because you actually need them but because it's nice to do more damage. A few CoF1 or SE1 runs will get you some easy tokens.

Armor doesn't matter. Ascended stuff is if you want everyone to know how much of a life you don't have :negative:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

tvayisnihyaami posted:

As already said, no, not in the slightest. Exotics are fine for everything.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tvayisnihyaami posted:

Only thing you need ascended for is fractals which you already said you ain't gonna do, even then its only for the very high level ones.

Does anyone know why zerker rings are 20 gold now? Where they always that drat high? Could have sworn they where like at 6 or so before the zerker "nerf"

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Buy the Ruby rings. They're exactly the same as the berserker rings and come with a jewel already in them, for 1/5th of the price.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Batham posted:

Bonus points for the half naked Asura.

That's my engineers "look" not constant death! I think we had one death due to alt tab boredom.

Old image. (rip la, rip frog, gently caress kiel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thanks Mesmer Asura for showing me this horrific area.

• Locked thread