Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Prevalence of kidney stones?

They tend to appear most in hot, dry places due to dehydration.

This sounds like the most obscure map ever. Naturally, it exists and also is surprisingly politically loaded:

quote:

Map of United States with current 'stone-belt' or high-risk stone area (risk ratio >1.2) in yellow. Computer model predicts expansion of stone-belt over time in orange (2050) and in red (2095). Currently, 41% of the population is within a high-risk zone. Computer model predicts 56% of the population will be in a high-risk zone by 2050 and 70% by 2095. Reprinted from Brikowski et al. 3 with permission.

And I like guessing maps! Here's another one - guess the disease:

It's Lung Cancer. Jesus, Kentucky, what is wrong with you? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

System Metternich posted:

Coal mining is what's wrong with them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This sounds like the most obscure map ever. Naturally, it exists and also is surprisingly politically loaded:

I only knew about it myself because I saw a map about kidney stones when I got my first one and looked up the causes :smithicide:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Antti posted:

I also thought that, but the areas with high lung cancer prevalence don't seem to correspond with coal-heavy ones:

And the abstract of this paper tells me that 90% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking, so it seems that Kentuckians just smoke a lot? No idea :shrug:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Antti posted:

Nope, it's smoking.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Antti posted:

Yeah no Kentucky is just the smokingest state. The Eastern Coalfields basically just have a whole lot of problems.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Huh, that's surprising. I guess in modern times there's enough safety precautions?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Basil Hayden posted:

Yeah no Kentucky is just the smokingest state.

While Kentucky leads in percentage of smokers, New Hampshire apparently leads the nation in consumption per day by a full three cigs.

Better Resolution

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 20, 2014

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wonder if those smoking rates are getting skewed by bad smuggling stats. They say they take smuggling into account, but when NH has like half the tax MA does, and then you see the NH has a super high rate, and MA has a super low rate, I wonder if there are more cigarettes being smuggled than they think. Other possibility is that high excise taxes are really having that detrimental of effect on smoking rates in those states.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mikl posted:

Let's play a round of "Guess What This Map's About"!

(No cheating by image searching ;))

Worst-best scale is black to blue, black being 0,12 and blue being 0,90. (Can't see any black in this map, second-worst is very dark red.)

Horse Archers per capita.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

Horse Archers per capita.
The notorious Norwegian horse archers.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

While Kentucky leads in percentage of smokers, New Hampshire apparently leads the nation in consumption per day by a full three cigs.

Better Resolution

Utah, not many people smoke, but those that do...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 20, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Oh crap, how did Oregon get so much PCB contamination?

quote:

Boardman! :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hedera Helix posted:

Oh crap, how did Oregon get so much PCB contamination?

https://public.health.oregon.gov/healthyenvironments/EnvironmentalExposures/ToxicSubstances/Pages/pcbs.aspx

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Meltathon posted:

I wonder if those smoking rates are getting skewed by bad smuggling stats. They say they take smuggling into account, but when NH has like half the tax MA does, and then you see the NH has a super high rate, and MA has a super low rate, I wonder if there are more cigarettes being smuggled than they think. Other possibility is that high excise taxes are really having that detrimental of effect on smoking rates in those states.

NH always ranks high on maps like this because of low taxes relative to the other states nearby (and no sales tax), the fact that so many border stores capitalize on this, and the fact that the liquor stores are the highway rest-stops (seriously). NH also ranks first in alcohol consumption but it uses the same method of measurement, units bought divided by population. The liquor store at the Portsmouth Traffic Circle used to be the busiest in the world; it's basically at the crossroads of the highway up into NH's lake region and the highway into Maine. Every weekend it would make a killing on weekend vacationers from Massachusetts and points south coming up to their vacation homes and then stocking up on the way back because it's so much cheaper.

Not surprisingly they sell cigarettes at those stores as well. The other thing that apparently makes a killing in those border towns is car tires, apparently Massachusetts wants NH to pass a law that requires you be a citizen of the state before you buy tires. Not sure why it's such a big deal.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat, NH owns. Also, if they do pass that law, what the hell are you supposed to do if a visitor's tires get destroyed somehow while in the sate?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

drat, NH owns. Also, if they do pass that law, what the hell are you supposed to do if a visitor's tires get destroyed somehow while in the sate?
Were you ever a teenager, asking folks outside liquor stores if they'd buy you a case of beer because you "forgot" your ID? It'll be like that, only a thousand times funnier because it's a middle-aged tourist outside an automotive shop.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Maybe the ideal law will limit the number of tires to one? So they can't buy a whole set?

It's a moot point anyway, clearly NH is never going to pass something that both: A) Limits their take on taxes, and B) helps out Massachusetts.

Back to NH liquor stores and maps, look at this foolishness: http://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/stores/store_locator

All those ones on the highway? Like I said, they're on the highway. This picture doesn't do the best job of showing it, but if you look in the background you can see the highway guardrails. This is literally the rest stop and since certain parts of the highways are tolled for some of these you can't go anywhere but back on the highway.

Also, you can buy beer and wine at grocery stores, but if you want hard stuff these are your only option. The State is making a fortune on liquor sales.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're looking at the linked map and you see a liquor store in the north of the state not really close to any highways or borders? Chances are it's in a town on a lake or near a ski resort.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 20, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It feels loving bizarre that Europe has had a single market for two decades, but the US, a loving federation, is still having internal border issues like that :psyduck:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Maybe the ideal law will limit the number of tires to one? So they can't buy a whole set?

It's a moot point anyway, clearly NH is never going to pass something that both: A) Limits their take on taxes, and B) helps out Massachusetts.

C) Runs afoul of the Interstate Commerce Clause in the Constitution.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Old James posted:

C) Runs afoul of the Interstate Commerce Clause in the Constitution.

No Massachusetts wants NH to either pass it's own law or they want sales of tires to Mass residents in NH to be reported to MA taxes.

The first would be fine (it just won't happen), the second one is probably more iffy (and also won't happen).

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 21, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

It feels loving bizarre that Europe has had a single market for two decades, but the US, a loving federation, is still having internal border issues like that :psyduck:

Now you know why it's called the UNITED STATES of America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

steinrokkan posted:

You could probably pass a federal law about it but no one outside of Massachusetts really cares.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not sure which part you're referring to. Alcohol and cigarette smuggling takes place in Europe due to differences in regulations and taxes. It's pretty common for Finns and Swedes to come to Estonia to buy cheap alcohol.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Cow posted:

I'm not sure which part you're referring to. Alcohol and cigarette smuggling takes place in Europe due to differences in regulations and taxes. It's pretty common for Finns and Swedes to come to Estonia to buy cheap alcohol.

You are right that there's not a full harmonization in taxes and duties, but elimination of direct market regulation within the EU, combined with legal and executive efforts by the Commission have led, and are working towards convergence:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/aboutparliament/en/displayFtu.html?ftuId=FTU_5.11.3.html
http://www.res.org.uk/details/mediabrief/4247901/EUROPES-SINGLE-MARKET-HAS-KEPT-TAXES-ON-ALCOHOL-AND-TOBACCO-LOW.html

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
At least in the case of booze laws, you can blame a lot of the bizarre patchwork on prohibition. Some areas were less happy than others about its repeal and so put their own restrictions in place, and there generally isn't enough push to change them. I know my state only cared about them once breweries started generating enough cash for their concerns to be politically relevant.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Ignoring...every other problem with that, couldn't 'Arabia' be called Najd, after the kingdom that merged with Hijaz to make Saudi Arabia?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Greater Azerbaijan :wiz:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Why the gently caress did they rename South Sudan into New Sudan :psyduck: (as if this map wasn't batshit enough to begin with)

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Greater Azerbaijan :wiz:

Why not? There are plenty Azerbaijanis in Iran:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Azerbaijanis

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
I like how Syria loses its coast, a chunk of the south and a large part of the north but calls itself Greater Syria because it own a bit of Lebanon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Why the gently caress did they rename South Sudan into New Sudan :psyduck: (as if this map wasn't batshit enough to begin with)
It probably predates South Sudan, though it's still an awful name.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There was actually a Sino-Albanian split. That's right, by the end of the Cold War Albania considered itself to be the only properly communist country in the world.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

There was actually a Sino-Albanian split. That's right, by the end of the Cold War Albania considered itself to be the only properly communist country in the world.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. I can kinda get Yugoslavia being seen as a proper alternative to both Soviet and Chinese communism, but poor Albania turned into a forgotten corner of the Balkan and turned into a shithole nobody spoke nor heard of during the cold war.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How is occupation of a country the best option? If you're redrawing the map, why not just annex Eritrea to Ethiopia?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is that Balochistan on Iran's southeastern border?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The map is from a 2007 vintage Atlantic article

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/2014/06/20/the_new_map_of_the_middle_east_334996.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
^^^^ Then the Eritrean thing makes even less sense unless people have a hard-on for spreading democracy to a repressive state that lacks oil ^^^^

How old is this map to not bother showing a free Eritrea? Or is there some Ethiopian irredentism at play here?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 22, 2014