Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is everybody drunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhyno posted:

Is everybody drunk?

I'm guessing Slott has just set people's expectations that low.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

I'm guessing Slott has just set people's expectations that low.

That's gotta be it. This books is bad and the only saving grave is the gorgeous artwork.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I agree. I was hyped for Slott's Silver Surfer, but didn't go past the first issue.

Speaking of Slott, I finished his first She-Hulk run. Were you guys that were saying the second volume isn't as good talking about the second volume of that run or She-Hulk (vol.2), the subsequent series he also wrote? Because if you were talking about the one I just finished, I mostly agree. I liked a lot of the stuff in space, but it kind of just becomes your run of the mill superhero comic. The last issue is pretty good, but I didn't give one crap about Titania. Her story was fine, I just didn't need to read it. And they got way too far away from the law stuff that made the book so great in the first place.

I hope the next series is better, but I'll probably go back and read the John Byrne series before that. That's supposed to be a classic run, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

I hope the next series is better, but I'll probably go back and read the John Byrne series before that. That's supposed to be a classic run, right?

HA!

Oh and before someone decides that my dislike of Dan Slott is creepy, here's a preemptive gently caress you. I'm allowed to hate lovely creators on characters I love. And I'm allowed to be vocal about it. gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

That's gotta be it. This books is bad and the only saving grave is the gorgeous artwork.

I know it's thoughtcrime but I can't stand Allred's art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

head58 posted:

I know it's thoughtcrime but I can't stand Allred's art.

This is okay so long as you also hate Dan Slott.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Unmature posted:

I agree. I was hyped for Slott's Silver Surfer, but didn't go past the first issue.

Speaking of Slott, I finished his first She-Hulk run. Were you guys that were saying the second volume isn't as good talking about the second volume of that run or She-Hulk (vol.2), the subsequent series he also wrote? Because if you were talking about the one I just finished, I mostly agree. I liked a lot of the stuff in space, but it kind of just becomes your run of the mill superhero comic. The last issue is pretty good, but I didn't give one crap about Titania. Her story was fine, I just didn't need to read it. And they got way too far away from the law stuff that made the book so great in the first place.
I haven't read it since it was originally published, but iirc his run (which started in 2004 I think) was originally canned after 12 or so issues, then it was relaunched a year or so later. It's the relaunch which wasn't as good. I think it involved some stuff with Starfox? I'll have to go back and read it all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

This is okay so long as you also hate Dan Slott.

No its really not. How can anyone hate Allred's art?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's odd and Pop-Arty which owns owns owns but can be off putting to a personal aesthetic sense. A lot of people didn't like Soule's She Hulk art despite the high quality of both the normal and fill in work. There's a difference between not liking a style and calling it bad, in my opinion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

No its really not. How can anyone hate Allred's art?

I don't hate it but I don't love it either. It just doesn't fit most of the books he does. Like that Doop story he drew was perfect for him. His Batman '66 is great. His FF and SS have been a big miss for me.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 19, 2014

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Unmature posted:

Byrne's run on Sensational is actually really good, yes. It's one of the first series that really digs into the weirdness of Marvel's past and tries to put it together into something interesting. Xemnu the Titan, Spragg the Living Hill, U.S. Archer, and Razorback are all major recurring characters.

If what you like about She-Hulk is legal shenanigans, this is not the run for that. Not a whole lot of time is spent in the courtroom. Most time is spent in space or underground or at the Star Stop Cafe. Plus the book is one of the first really "meta" comedy books from Marvel, with She-Hulk talking directly to Byrne about the story or even the page layouts. In one issue She-Hulk rips through the page and walks through a series of house ads as a shortcut.

Plus there's an issue that opens with Byrne's swipe of Liefeld pages that were a swipe of Byrne.

Byrne's run was broken up into two parts because he temporarily left the book over a dispute with the editor. He did issues 1-8, left, and then returned with issue 30-something (maybe 31?), and then did the book through issue 50, which features art from notable creators like Frank Miller, Walt Simonson, Howard Chaykin, Adam Hughes, and Wendy Pini all spoofing their own comics.

Unfortunately, only the initial Byrne run has ever been collected, as far as I know. Which is a shame, because the whole thing is a lot of fun. The back issues should be available for cheap via various online retailers, though, and for all I know, they're all on Marvel Unlimited.

(Also, I should note, the book does feature cheese-cakey art of She-Hulk, but it's usually either arguably tongue-in-cheek or in the service of a joke. Whether or not this breaks the book is up to your personal tastes.)

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Rhyno posted:

Oh and before someone decides that my dislike of Dan Slott is creepy, here's a preemptive gently caress you. I'm allowed to hate lovely creators on characters I love. And I'm allowed to be vocal about it. gently caress off.

I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just saying your anger towards Slott is almost as unsettling as Dark_Tzitzimine's love of Lobdell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just saying your anger towards Slott is almost as unsettling as Dark_Tzitzimine's love of Lobdell.
Nah, DarkTit's is much more weird.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
DarkTit loves Lobdell but he loves Red Hood even more, which is why he'll always be more baffling than Rhyno. Rhyno at least approaches things on perceived quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

How so? Have I said "boy I sure wish I had the chance to poo poo on Slott's face" or anything? I detest his work and wish he'd get kicked off the flagship book of my favorite Marvel hero. And his current run on SS is in my opinion making GBS threads on the character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

How so? Have I said "boy I sure wish I had the chance to poo poo on Slott's face" or anything?

Technically, now you have.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I knew about the meta and fourth wall stuff, but I've never seen this. That's wonderful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Technically, now you have.

Everyone knows I'm not into scat.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Rhyno posted:

HA!

Or, y'know, have the perspective to know he'll be off the characters you love eventually and everything in comics is ephemeral so why bother wasting your hate on comic books of all things?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Then you get into why do you care that he cares and fart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then you get into why do you care that he cares and fart.

You care that I fart?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
How was The Will and Testament of Xavier?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Rhyno posted:

How so? Have I said "boy I sure wish I had the chance to poo poo on Slott's face" or anything? I detest his work and wish he'd get kicked off the flagship book of my favorite Marvel hero. And his current run on SS is in my opinion making GBS threads on the character.

You're telling people they're wrong for liking at book, that this thing they enjoy is bad and is unworthy. I didn't care for Superior but I knew people who loved it and I can totally see why. Not everyone needs top-tier writing for silly books about men in spandex. Short of containing actual hate-speech I don't think I'm in a position to judge anyone for what they choose to patronize. In any case Surfer and Spider-Man have had super lovely books before and probably will again even after Slott leaves.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Veg posted:

Isn't that next week?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Veg posted:

Just reread all of those Xavier Is A Dick stories from 5-7 Years ago. It'll be the same theme but at least they won't completely suck.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Everyone knows I'm not into scat.

I'm sick of hearing you rant about how terrible the Superior Scatman is.

"The die-botty-bop-bibbity-dwee-bip-bip-bip-skadip-bop is cast!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Read the first issue of the new She-Hulk. It's good. Good enough to keep me reading, but not nearly as good as Slott's first issue.

The pencils are good, but the coloring is gross. I never, ever like digital gradients and this guy uses them on almost EVERY surface. The colorist makes the art feel like a DeviantArt piece. Some nice flat colors and stark accents would look beautiful. The palette doesn't help it. It's not bad, just not pretty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I'm sick of hearing you rant about how terrible the Superior Scatman is.

"The die-botty-bop-bibbity-dwee-bip-bip-bip-skadip-bop is cast!"

Marry me?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I gave Surfer three issues thinking maybe Slott would be good on something that wasn't Spider-man but nope the Skrull that replaced him after the first half of She-Hulk can't write the Surfer/Doctor either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I couldn't even finish that preview they put out. I love Surfer, and Allred is a wonderful fit. I just can't take the writing.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Unmature posted:

Read the first issue of the new She-Hulk. It's good. Good enough to keep me reading, but not nearly as good as Slott's first issue.

The pencils are good, but the coloring is gross. I never, ever like digital gradients and this guy uses them on almost EVERY surface. The colorist makes the art feel like a DeviantArt piece. Some nice flat colors and stark accents would look beautiful. The palette doesn't help it. It's not bad, just not pretty.

I don't know, Muntsa Vicente is a great colorist as evidenced by their work on Private Eye. It is not mindless shiny gradients that are slapped in a lame attempt to express some twisted vision of realism, but a thought-out enhancement of a bright and varying palette.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I couldn't even finish that preview they put out. I love Surfer, and Allred is a wonderful fit. I just can't take the writing.

You have been spared the spectacle of the Silver Surfer, former herald of Galactus, poking someone in the eyes and saying "Nyuck Nyuck," Three Stooges style.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm a bad reader who rarely looks at the name of the writer before I read an issue. I'm genuinely surprised to find out that the Silver Surfer I've been reading and enjoying so much is written by Dan Slott. It's years ahead of his Spider-Man work. I'm really digging it.

The Doctor Who comparisons are unavoidable. But I have to say if the last few seasons of Doctor Who were like these last few issues of Silver Surfer, it would be a much better show. Maybe the BBC should fire Steven Moffat and replace him with Slott.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm a bad reader who rarely looks at the name of the writer before I read an issue. I'm genuinely surprised to find out that the Silver Surfer I've been reading and enjoying so much is written by Dan Slott. It's years ahead of his Spider-Man work. I'm really digging it.

The Doctor Who comparisons are unavoidable. But I have to say if the last few seasons of Doctor Who were like these last few issues of Silver Surfer, it would be a much better show. Maybe the BBC should fire Steven Moffat and replace him with Slott.

Or even better...

"DAN SLOTT as The Doctor"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Evil Sagan posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Doctor Who, all I can say is if you want him, you take him; maybe it'll get him off Spider-Man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

fatherboxx posted:

I don't know, Muntsa Vicente is a great colorist as evidenced by their work on Private Eye. It is not mindless shiny gradients that are slapped in a lame attempt to express some twisted vision of realism, but a thought-out enhancement of a bright and varying palette.

I believe she's a lady. I was curious about her too and found the :3 thing ever on what I presume to be her website:
http://www.muntsavicente.com/portfolio/supersinglemum.html

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I _believe_ Muntsa Vicente is Marcos Martin's wife. I know Panel Syndicate is her and Martin, and they do Private Eye together. Pulido and Martin were studiomates, which probably explains why she colored She-Hulk.

Also, she's crazy talented, anyone saying otherwise is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm reading Dark Reign, and what the hell kind of hair are the Osborns supposed to have? It looks like cornrows, but I suspect its supposed to be super short but super curly hair.

• Locked thread