Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Do you mean that game that never was released in Europe? This one?

Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are on PSN and can be played on Vita. The PSP remake of IS and the PS1 version of EP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
EPP didn't make it out of Japan. Index kinda went bankrupt at the time it would have been localized.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The PS1 version is on the store though so it doesn't matter. You can play that game in English.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The PS1 version is on the store though so it doesn't matter. You can play that game in English.

Not in Europe!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are on PSN and can be played on Vita. The PSP remake of IS and the PS1 version of EP.

Not in Europe it's not.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Iceclaw posted:

Not in Europe it's not.

Making an american PSN account isn't particularly tricky.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, you could still play it in English if you bought it on a US account. :shrug:

edit: I mean yeah it'd suck to play it on Vita if you had to change accounts, but it is possible. There's always PS3 as well if you have one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Making an american PSN account isn't particularly tricky.

Having to pay in a foreign currency seems pretty troublesome though, not to mention how switching accounts on a Vita is a huge hassle.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can't you just get a US account and buy US cards to buy the games with.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Pretty bothersome to have to purchase the cards, usually at a higher price because of shipping and/or taxes, depending where you live, then waiting for them, and then having to switch accounts everytime you want to play this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The point wasn't about how easy or hard it was, the point was that it was possible if you wanted to.

edit: Also, this:

Strange Quark posted:

Alternatively, don't buy Persona 2 because they're not fun games. The story and characters are alright, but the dungeon crawling and combat is banal at best, and the default random encounter rate is way too high.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alternatively, don't buy Persona 2 because they're not fun games. The story and characters are alright, but the dungeon crawling and combat is banal at best, and the default random encounter rate is way too high.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also if you're an EUer and want to play it on your Vita it means wiping the thing and not being able to play anything else in the meantime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who loves everything about Persona 2 aside from the game, do not play Persona 2.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Beef Waifu posted:

As someone who loves everything about Persona 2 aside from the game, do not play Persona 2.

Is it that rough? Both of them?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

The point wasn't about how easy or hard it was, the point was that it was possible if you wanted to.
The same way it's possible in theory to play any game unreleased in the west if you buy the thing that bypass zoning and learn japanese. See where I'm coming from? Yes, it's possible, but it's honestly too much efforts and downsides for a game that's not really worth it.

Strange Quark posted:

This is true.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 21, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Play Persona 2 because it's pretty fun and different and weird and you can beat it pretty easily with or without a guide.

At least play Innocent Sin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

The same way it's possible in theory to play any game unreleased in the west if you buy the thing that bypass zoning and learn japanase. See where I'm coming from? yes, it's possible, but it's honestly too much efforts and downsides for a game that's not really worth it.

You're not wrong but it doesn't change the point I was making. I don't think we're even having the same argument, actually. :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Play Persona 2 because it's pretty fun and different and weird and you can beat it pretty easily with or without a guide.

At least play Innocent Sin.

Everyone says the gameplay for P2 is bad, but I thought it was pretty ok. Am I just used to 90s RPGs? :negative:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm aware. Megami Tensei (the NES game) has never recieved an official English translation, though, and as far as I've seen, Aeon Genesis is pretty much the only one likely to bring an unofficial one out at this point. Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, which is a SNES port of Megami Tensei I and II, also has a fantranslation in the works, by The Romhacking Aerie. Though much like Aeon Genesis' project, they've been quiet on it for a good while.

AG said something about how he was dropping MT1 for KMT on his Twitter a month or so ago, so we might get that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

The same way it's possible in theory to play any game unreleased in the west if you buy the thing that bypass zoning and learn japanese. See where I'm coming from? Yes, it's possible, but it's honestly too much efforts and downsides for a game that's not really worth it.

Except completely different because it takes minutes to wipe a vita and buy a card and years of dedicated practice to learn Japanese. Also Persona 2 is great and anyone saying it's not is a European mad they can't buy it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man all of the characters are really fun and have some depth to them! Too bad the game is slow as molasses. Oh hey, there's a demon negotiation mechanic where the characters can have conversations with each other and do skits! Too bad demon negotiations has always been tedious as hell and the demons act sporadically. Oh hey all of the character designs also pop out and are super cool especially the Persona! Too bad gathering tarot cards for the persona you want is a tedious chore and you can pretty much beat the game with whatever Persona it gives you anyways. Yo the music is really good and unique, even the dungeon themes are surprisingly unique! Too bad all of the dungeons are boring as hell to look at and have a high encounter rate.

The game has a theme on philosophy, psychology, and mystical happenings through modern means which really tickles my nerd boner for all three of those things! Too bad the combat is tiresome to navigate through and unrewarding.

I love and hate Persona 2, it is my gift and my curse.

Booky posted:

Everyone says the gameplay for P2 is bad, but I thought it was pretty ok. Am I just used to 90s RPGs? :negative:

AG said something about how he was dropping MT1 for KMT on his Twitter a month or so ago, so we might get that.

Persona 2's gameplay is bad even for 90s JRPGs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hubris.height posted:

Is it that rough? Both of them?
Honestly no. It's a bit of a product of its time but it doesn't actively try to kung fu you into not wanting to play it like Persona 1.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh man all of the characters are really fun and have some depth to them! Too bad the game is slow as molasses. Oh hey, there's a demon negotiation mechanic where the characters can have conversations with each other and do skits! Too bad demon negotiations has always been tedious as hell and the demons act sporadically. Oh hey all of the character designs also pop out and are super cool especially the Persona! Too bad gathering tarot cards for the persona you want is a tedious chore and you can pretty much beat the game with whatever Persona it gives you anyways. Yo the music is really good and unique, even the dungeon themes are surprisingly unique! Too bad all of the dungeons are boring as hell to look at and have a high encounter rate.

The game has a theme on philosophy, psychology, and mystical happenings through modern means which really tickles my nerd boner for all three of those things! Too bad the combat is tiresome to navigate through and unrewarding.

I love and hate Persona 2, it is my gift and my curse.

Persona 2's gameplay is bad even for 90s JRPGs.

You like Dirge of Cerberus, your taste is suspect.

Also demon negotiation is hella easy, every personality type is pretty obvious to identify and after a little trial and error you'll find a combination that works. If you negotiate often, you'll always have plenty of cards and you can farm them pretty efficiently.

P2 has great big sprawling mazes that actually feel like dungeons, with booby traps and hidden treasures and it has this rumor system which is awesome, and the dialog between your party members is really cool and also rad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You like Dirge of Cerberus, your taste is suspect
Everyone has something lovely that they kinda like even though they know its lovely.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Booky posted:

I liked it, and still like it-- but it's definitely not going to be for everyone these days.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Playing the female main character in Persona 3 is probably the worst decision you can make in that game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PureRok posted:

Playing the female main character in Persona 3 is probably the worst decision you can make in that game.
Why? I hear this opinion a lot but besides the Ken thing I'm not seeing it. The guys get S. Links that are, Ken excluded, pretty decent, and most of the really poo poo S. Links from the male side, like the Moon one, get replaced by ones that are better. The girls get to show a side to their personality that isn't 'ohhh player insert-kun you make my kokoro dokidoki' too.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Gambling is my favorite thing in Eternal Punishment.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Everyone has something lovely that they kinda like even though they know its lovely.

I love many terrible games such as Castlevania Judgment, Dirge of Cerberus, Persona 2, Madworld, the list goes on.

I can still give you many reasons why they are bad games. Just because I like something does not make it not bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I love many terrible games such as Castlevania Judgment, Dirge of Cerberus, Persona 2, Madworld, the list goes on.

I can still give you many reasons why they are bad games. Just because I like something does not make it not bad.
Yeah, but my point is liking those things doesn't make your taste suspect or whatever.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
99% sure the Neutral endboss of SMT4 is the biggest pushover of a final fight in the series. Holy crap.

TETRAKARN TETRAKARN TETRAKARN oh it's over? wow

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but my point is liking those things doesn't make your taste suspect or whatever.

I was quoting you because it was relevant to the conversation and I don't feel like deleting his whole post to one line on my phone.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
As someone who just recently suffered through SMT II (actually, outside of the back tracking and the boring as boiling water dungeon tilesets it wasn't that bad*) and it sounds to me like I might enjoy, or at least be able to suffer through P2. I'll probably pick it up sometime, maybe if it goes on sale.

How many Megaten Games has everyone here beaten? Which was your favorite? Least? I feel like I have crossed into the 'official a member of the cool kids club' now that I've beaten / read through (this is the case for If...) 7 Megaten games, now. It also is surprising how deep this rabbit hole goes, and that unlike FF games, I look forward to the next one after each game.

*Also the boss rush at the end and Hiroko not getting a Dis-Stone spell pissing me off.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've got quite a few tied for favorite, but only two for least favorite, one of which is pretty obscure even for this series. Revelations: The Demon Slayer/Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible on the GBC takes forever and a day to get moving, and is pretty terrible in just about every aspect, except the battle graphics being pretty decent for the system. And SMT If... because god drat, does it have some amazingly bad level designs.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

My favorite Megaten game has to be Persona 3, which is actually the only Megaten game I have yet to beat. But hey I'm close to beating Strange Journey, after I get through the final dungeon.:shepicide:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

99% sure the Neutral endboss of SMT4 is the biggest pushover of a final fight in the series. Holy crap.

TETRAKARN TETRAKARN TETRAKARN oh it's over? wow

To be honest this is most of the fights that I've run into in that game, with a few Makarakarns here and there while you just nuke the poo poo out of the boss with Flynn.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hivac posted:

To be honest this is most of the fights that I've run into in that game, with a few Makarakarns here and there while you just nuke the poo poo out of the boss with Flynn.

I dunno, I had a challenge with some of the other bosses at endgame because they punished overreliance on one strategy (ie, if they are pushed too low they begin Almightying like a motherfucker, or just cast Tetraja, etc.), whereas the very last one just... didn't try. Even before debuffs the only Almighty skill I saw barely did 100-200 HP per hit - a full turn of it didn't kill a single demon.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I've only beaten P2: IS PSP, SMTIV, and Soul Hackers, and I've played some of both SMT2 and Majin Tensei II. They were all pretty good, but I think I'd like the latter more if I could tell what people were saying. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I dunno, I had a challenge with some of the other bosses at endgame because they punished overreliance on one strategy (ie, if they are pushed too low they begin Almightying like a motherfucker, or just cast Tetraja, etc.), whereas the very last one just... didn't try. Even before debuffs the only Almighty skill I saw barely did 100-200 HP per hit - a full turn of it didn't kill a single demon.

Well, the two bosses you fight in the Neutral path are just the Law and Chaos bosses. Maybe you just got that much stronger inbetween fighting each of them? :v:

Though really, it's true that the plot bosses aren't hard fights at all. That's what Beelzebub, the DLC, and the Fiends (if they existed) are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've got quite a few tied for favorite, but only two for least favorite, one of which is pretty obscure even for this series. Revelations: The Demon Slayer/Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible on the GBC takes forever and a day to get moving, and is pretty terrible in just about every aspect, except the battle graphics being pretty decent for the system. And SMT If... because god drat, does it have some amazingly bad level designs.

Like the dungeon where the mechanic is 'walk around for enough moon cycles'?