Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't know where you're at in the show, but if you're not very far in it, keep going. You'll notice that after a certain point it pretty much drops most of the shonen tropes (or at least twists them to the point of being unrecognizable).

e: Speaking of FMA: Brotherhood, (dude above me, you probably shouldn't read this) I really don't understand why Ed and Hawkeye saved Envy from Mustang. I mean, it makes sense on a thematic level, because "hate is really, really lovely" is pretty much one of the big messages of the story from what I can tell, but... Envy exists for the sole purpose of doing evil poo poo. He is an unrepentant, proud murderer, literally started the Ishvalan genocide, and the only remotely good thing he's done in the entire series so far was helping Ed and Ling out of Gluttony's stomach (which he did primarily out of self-preservation). If there is any one character in FMA whose killer would get a moral free pass, it's Envy, and their main beef with Mustang doing it seems to be that he's too angry at him (which makes no goddamn sense given that he just bragged to him about murdering Hughes, his best friend). I get that the theme had to be driven home a little more, but why with the one character who completely and utterly has it coming? :wtc:

e2: Why the gently caress does Scar of all people get on a high horse about it? Scar's revenge was against people who largely had nothing to do with what he was avenging. Roy's was against the person who murdered his best friend in cold blood and then bragged to his face about it in the physical form of said best friend's wife. I'm pretty sure there's a BIT of a difference there. :psyduck:

e3: HOW THE gently caress IS HAWKEYE KILLING HIM A BETTER WAY TO HANDLE IT!? :psyboom: This poo poo is retarded.

Killing in self-defense. Acceptable. Killing in defense of 3rd party. Acceptable. Torture. Messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Look there's a Wizard of Oz manga. It's called orz.

AKA: :negative:-The Manga.

The art style is pretty unique, and I like the somewhat negative take on the characters.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Two new chapters of Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan are out!

I laughed way more at this panel than I should have,

Reiche fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 6, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read all of Saiki Kusuo that's currently out, and I'm really happy to see something that funny in the WSJ. Hopefully it stays popular.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Too loving good, I love this series

edit: It reminds a lot of Jaguar, if anyone needs more of a funny-fix after Saiki maybe check that out

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the chapter where it turns out all anime/manga cliches were the direct result of Saiki's mind control.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh hey, the Beelzebub spinoff just started. It sort of owns.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 7, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
"Spinoff" my rear end. That's just more Beelzebub.

This is not a complaint.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oh my god, that was fantastic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
But there was only one chapter and now I miss Beelzebub again. It's so good when it's not trying to be a battle manga. :qq:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh my god, that was fantastic.

Holy poo poo I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

:allears: Yessss.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yamada and the Seven Witchs 109.

This newest witch seems fun.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So I dunno if people have been keeping up with the insanity of Kurogane no Linebarrel but uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please don't make me read Linebarrels of Iron :(

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Soylentbits posted:

Killing in self-defense. Acceptable. Killing in defense of 3rd party. Acceptable. Torture. Messed up.

I mean, this makes sense but it's not the argument the show presents. Also, even though now that I'm thinking about it your description fits, Brotherhood doesn't really play it that way. It's treated less like torture and more like a very very well earned rear end-beating, like when JoJo has like 10 pages of particularly horrible minor villains getting ORAORAORA'd.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

But there was only one chapter and now I miss Beelzebub again. It's so good when it's not trying to be a battle manga. :qq:

Sorry dude, Beezebub owns wether it's doing battles or comedy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Allarion posted:

New chapter of Again.

"You dimwit! All art is cheesy!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Allarion posted:

New chapter of Again.

I had never heard of this before. This has been rectified.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also a new Saiki where we learn his one weakness.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Stealth Symphony. Interesting variation on the Midas Touch there. It hasn't been doing well in the rankings for a while, so I worry about it. Admittedly it's not the greatest manga, but I still think it's interesting enough to become good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Just so you know stealth symphony is licensed and that chapter came out on Monday.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Huh you're right. Releases have been inconsistent so occasionally scans have come out a week before-hand like One Piece, Naruto, etc. Still not sure whether linking Stealth Symphony is ok or not considering a lot of the other manga are also licensed, but I'll stop.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey, you pigs in human clothing!! There's a new chapter of Squid Girl!!!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, you pigs in human clothing!! There's a new chapter of Squid Girl!!!

Didn't get the Kill La Kill crossover I was expecting, but what actually came up in the chapter didn't leave me disappointed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Three more chapters of GTO: Paradise Lost!

I missed you Onizuka :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009
I just caught up on Stealth Symphony and totally-not-Crocodile's power is literally called the Mcguffin and that's just fantastic. It's perfect.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

Well this can't be good. :ohdear:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Allarion posted:

New chapter of Again.

Well this can't be good. :ohdear:

I must admit Again!! kinda fell off my radar with this Drama Club arc, but Hanataka's little twitter updates make for a pretty good running gag.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Never change Onizuka

:allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It sure is a pity that stealth symphony is likely to be axed soon. It has just started getting interesting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It sure is a pity that stealth symphony is likely to be axed soon. It has just started getting interesting.

It goes and the only weekly thing I'll even begin to give a drat about in alpha is World Trigger and that stupid war arc better end soon cuz christ is this boring.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ConanThe3rd posted:

It goes and the only weekly thing I'll even begin to give a drat about in alpha is World Trigger and that stupid war arc better end soon cuz christ is this boring.

But One Piece and Toriko are in WSJ, poo poo is worth 25 cents a week right there.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Literally The Worst posted:

But One Piece and Toriko are in WSJ, poo poo is worth 25 cents a week right there.

The first thing I thought of was Wall Street Journal, which I have to say might be improved by a little overseas culture.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

The first thing I thought of was Wall Street Journal, which I have to say might be improved by a little overseas culture.

I am the opposite, where I think of "Weekly Shounen Jump" whenever I see someone mention WSJ. So actually, all those high-powered financial executives are really into Bleach, Naruto and One Piece! They are just hiding it behind newspapers so no one gets embarrassed! :haw:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if One Piece isn't on it's way out if only by way of Critical Author Existence Failure and Toriko just doesn't do it for me, it's not a case that it's bad it's just not my bag.

I'd be happy to have Seraph of the End and Blue Exorcist but that drip's done and we're back to a monthly schedule for those and it does not feel nice to pay money (as little as it is) for chapter after chapter of Naruto and Bleach refusing to die (their spot on the Knacker cart having been long booked) Nisekoi being what I can only call a grudge-gently caress (you don't go from Double Arts to Nisekoi accidently) and World Trigger just putzing around with a war that's gone on since the start of the year when there's parallel worlds just there open to be be explored whilst I'm here waiting for Seraph and Exorcist.

And just so I knowledge it, YuGiOh is post original run YuGiOh so who cares and HxH.

I dunno if that speaks to the quality of Monthlies over Weeklies (One Piece and Non Jump Weeklies such as UQ Holder suggest otherwise) or to the quality of Jump's output but I'm paying good cash here and I'm wondering if it's better to just get CR's offerings even though they're ultimately more immaterial in terms of back issue retention.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 21, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if One Piece isn't on it's way out if only by way of Critical Author Existence Failure and Toriko just doesn't do it for me, it's not a case that it's bad it's just not my bag.

I'd be happy to have Seraph of the End and Blue Exorcist but that drip's done and we're back to a monthly schedule for those and it does not feel nice to pay money (as little as it is) for chapter after chapter of Naruto and Bleach refusing to die (their spot on the Knacker cart having been long booked) Nisekoi being what I can only call a grudge-gently caress (you don't go from Double Arts to Nisekoi accidently) and World Trigger just putzing around with a war that's gone on since the start of the year when there's parallel worlds just there open to be be explored whilst I'm here waiting for Seraph and Exorcist.

And just so I knowledge it, YuGiOh is post original run YuGiOh so who cares and HxH.

I dunno if that speaks to the quality of Monthlies over Weeklies (One Piece and Non Jump Weeklies such as UQ Holder suggest otherwise) or to the quality of Jump's output but I'm paying good cash here and I'm wondering if it's better to just get CR's offerings even though they're ultimately more immaterial in terms of back issue retention.

Crunchyroll's lineup is honestly pretty good these days. I definitely read more stuff through them then any other given magazine or app. Though a lot of their best offerings (Arslan, Spirit Circle, Soredemo) are monthlies, so that's something to consider.

It's been a long time since I actually followed Jump. I like One Piece but I'm not going to subscribe just for that. I do wish someone would work out digital rights for Shonen Sunday already, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Doraemon? Sgt. Frog? Meet Sgt. Dog: Lilienthal -- a manga about a talking, yellow, magical dog with some strange, reality-warping powers. It's the kind of good, clean all-ages fun that many manga sometimes lack.

I'm enjoying the slightly surreal flights of fancy and imagination, they remind me of the kinds of imaginary worlds I'd get lost in when I was a kid. Also, I really like the sister, she seems really sensible!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 26, 2014