Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

FrozenVent posted:

What kind of building doesn't have a laundry room?

My landlord got fed up of the laundry room getting broken into, removed the coin machines and just switched to collecting like $10 cash a month per person living there or whatever. Illegal, I suppose (Since it's constructively a rent increase) but goddamn was it ever convenient.

Then some people had to gently caress it up because planning for having $20 cash laying around...

Seems like there's a tragedy of the commons thing there - if everyone but you agrees to pay, there's little reason to do so yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Craptacular posted:

Anyone who uses this is terrible with money. Get $10 of quarters mailed to you each month for $15.

This is loving brilliant.

Edit - and I wish I'd thought of it first.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If that actually ends up successful I'm quitting my day job and starting a food truck courier service -- one that delivers food from food trucks to offices/dorms/whatever. I estimate that it entails approximately the same amount of laziness

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Not a Children posted:

If that actually ends up successful I'm quitting my day job and starting a food truck courier service -- one that delivers food from food trucks to offices/dorms/whatever. I estimate that it entails approximately the same amount of laziness

No reason to limit yourself to trucks - postmates does this. You can pretty much get them to run arbitrary errands for you in NYC and a few other cities.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

There are lots of them in NYC.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Uranium 235 posted:

There are lots of them in NYC.

I've lived in Boston now for 4 years and never had laundry either. First in a triple decker, now in an old brownstone building.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GanjamonII posted:

This is loving brilliant.

Edit - and I wish I'd thought of it first.

Same here.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Same here.

I actually did think of it first (~2011) and had web hosting and domains set up but then thought to myself, who would be stupid enough to use this service?

Enough to launch a company based on the idea, I guess :-/.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dawncloack posted:

I am surprised too that they didn't nail her harder. Glad though, that's my job.

That said, I overstated the situation: I did present it as a willful and knowing attempt, it was knowing, but I'd argue it wasn't willful. It was more "Oh I save myself filling forms". Which doesn't excuse anything obvs.

One thing is clear, if she can't be an adult about that, it's over. I will not get together with not-adults.
I think it depends on what you want out of your relationship. If you want to just have fun and have sex then she sounds fun. If you want to settle down and get serious with the relationship then I say break up if it's a new relationship or give it some time if you've been together for a while and she is worth the effort.

That said financial issues are THE main strain on relationships so the best predictor of success in a relationship is to start off with two financially responsible people. If one person can't be trusted with money then the relationship is pretty much strained from the beginning.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Evil Robot posted:

I actually did think of it first (~2011) and had web hosting and domains set up but then thought to myself, who would be stupid enough to use this service?

Enough to launch a company based on the idea, I guess :-/.

Just like everyone laughed when bottled water started becoming a thing, wondering who would be stupid enough to buy it.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The fact that a website/company exists does not mean that it's a good idea.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It got a million in startup financing.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

That's a lot of quarters.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

My landlord got fed up of the laundry room getting broken into, removed the coin machines and just switched to collecting like $10 cash a month per person living there or whatever. Illegal, I suppose (Since it's constructively a rent increase) but goddamn was it ever convenient.

Then some people had to gently caress it up because planning for having $20 cash laying around...

$10 a month? Okay, now I can see why people consider a laundry service such a bad deal. Using my building's coin-operated machines are $2 a wash, $1 a dry, and it usually takes two cycles to dry.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Jeffrey posted:

No reason to limit yourself to trucks - postmates does this. You can pretty much get them to run arbitrary errands for you in NYC and a few other cities.

Postmates is just an iphone app on top of a courier service, and courier services have existed for ages.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Horking Delight posted:

Postmates is just an iphone app on top of a courier service, and courier services have existed for ages.

Yeah, their value add is really just streamlined billing/ordering, sorry if I implied it's something really special, it's just nicely packaged. (I do have to question why the quarter roll service exists given that though.)

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Oh, I probably misinterpreted your tone then, my bad. I live in the Bay Area and I am just unbelievably loving sick of people who think they're doing something ~super innovative~ when their entire product amounts to "slap an iPhone app on top of a service that has always been there and pretend you're the first person who realized people would pay money for it".

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013
Shortly after I got engaged, my soon-to-be-father-in-law pulled me aside as asked me how I would be insuring the ring. The resulting discussion played out very differently in my head and on my mouth. Explaining why this is a horrible idea didn't really seem like the appropriate response at the time. Or ever.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Foolie posted:

Shortly after I got engaged, my soon-to-be-father-in-law pulled me aside as asked me how I would be insuring the ring. The resulting discussion played out very differently in my head and on my mouth. Explaining why this is a horrible idea didn't really seem like the appropriate response at the time. Or ever.

Sorry, not sure what the problem is here? A ring seems like something that would cost a lot to replace if it's lost accidentally and accidents are pretty common with things you wear on your body.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Evil Robot posted:

Sorry, not sure what the problem is here? A ring seems like something that would cost a lot to replace if it's lost accidentally and accidents are pretty common with things you wear on your body.

A girl at work lost a 5k ring, then a 4k ring, and is paying her mom back for another 5k ring....

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wait you can buy ring insurance that covers losing it? That seems like the most easily defrauded insurance ever...

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Wait you can buy ring insurance that covers losing it? That seems like the most easily defrauded insurance ever...

Yeah, isn't ring insurance more of a "if you scratch it or a diamond falls out, we'll cover the cost to fix it! (as long as you supply the diamond that fell out)".

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Was he referring to an additional rider for the ring on your existing renters'/homeowners' insurance or some other weird thing?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey posted:

Rudager posted:

Yeah, isn't ring insurance more of a "if you scratch it or a diamond falls out, we'll cover the cost to fix it! (as long as you supply the diamond that fell out)".

Yes, you can buy ring insurance that covers losing it. I got a rider on my renters' insurance that covers basically all circumstances. Usually runs about 2.5% of the item's value in premiums per year. Relevant section of my insurance company's website:

Travelers Valuable Items Coverage Policy posted:

you receive worldwide coverage, including protection against mysterious disappearance.

All the engagement ring websites I saw thought it was a good idea :). Note that there is also scammy insurance that the engagement ring stores will try to sell you which basically covers nothing that will actually happen...

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

My wife picked out a relatively cheap ring ($1800) and we decided it really wasn't worth insuring against loss, so we just bought a policy that would cover inspections, cleanings, and basic repairs forever. It was a cheap (something like 5-10% of the cost of the ring) one-time thing so it seemed like a good deal.

She said if she ever loses it, she'll get a cheap, fake diamond or another gemstone and maybe we'll think about replacing it with a real diamond later on.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Robot posted:

Yes, you can buy ring insurance that covers losing it. I got a rider on my renters' insurance that covers basically all circumstances. Usually runs about 2.5% of the item's value in premiums per year. Relevant section of my insurance company's website:

All the engagement ring websites I saw thought it was a good idea :). Note that there is also scammy insurance that the engagement ring stores will try to sell you which basically covers nothing that will actually happen...

Can always ask in the insurance thread! :)

Yeah, you can get an inland marine policy that follows the property wherever it may go. It DOES cover "Mysterious Disappearance" so if you lose it then you're covered.

Is it easy to defraud? Yeah, relatively. But most people that are willing to pay that premium for a ring would rather have the ring than the trouble of making a claim and buying a new one with that money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I've lost my wedding band, twice. On the plus side, getting a titanium wedding band without any sort of fanciful crap meant that it wasn't a financial emergency when I had to re order it.

The 10 week wait time for the factory to fulfill the order, and then another 10 when it turns out that it doesn't fit anymore though...

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ring tattoos are $25+tip and can't get caught in machinery. Y'all are bad with money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MrKatharsis posted:

Ring tattoos are $25+tip and can't get caught in machinery. Y'all are bad with money.

Mine was a $10 (Shipped!) tungsten band on eBay. You're bad with money :colbert:
Oh god let's not talk about my wife's ring

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Oh man, I probably belonged in the bad-with-money category when I bought my wife's engagement ring, but that was years ago.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Don't loan money to family ever. Do not cosign for anything ever. Unless you are OK with never seeing that money again and your relationship with that person can handle it.

That reminds me of a thread some time ago. One of the OP's relatives had posted bail for another relative arrested for child molestation, and had offered her house as collateral to the bail bond company. The guy was easily convicted, but then a mistrial was declared (one of the jurors turned out to have been molested as a child). So now he has every reason on Earth to go on the run before the new trial, leaving the OP and his family wondering how to prevent that. Unfortunately, I never saw how things turned out.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Foolie posted:

Whats the issue here? My gf and I have riders for some of her expensive jewelry, and that's in the low thousands. I wish she had a rider on her folks homeowners back in 2010 when she lost a ring her mom gave her, that was a disappointing loss. No longer made, etc... She loses things enough that we will absolutely have a rider for engagement/wedding rings in the future. Cheap compared to losing them and replacing. On another token, my mom does NOT lose things often, and did lose her wedding ring back in the 90's. The rider replaced it no problem - money well spent, that is an expensive ring!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

OneWhoKnows posted:

Oh man, I probably belonged in the bad-with-money category when I bought my wife's engagement ring, but that was years ago.

Everything related to weddings, for probably 95% of people, is being bad with money.

(though I'm sure everyone in here got married at city hall with family heirloom rings and then ate at IHOP afterwards and had a honeymoon staycation)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

Mine was a $10 (Shipped!) tungsten band on eBay. You're bad with money :colbert:
Oh god let's not talk about my wife's ring
I want a tungsten ring if I ever get married. wolfram for life.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I want a tungsten ring if I ever get married. wolfram for life.
I have never heard of this wolfram character before, but I love tungsten carbide tools, so why not rings too? I linked my gf to one and said something along the lines of "this would be awesome for you" and she very pointedly said no, gold and diamonds...drat women!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If you you know your fiance well enough to be fairly sure she won't flip out, you could do what my dad did: have her buy a wedding ring on her own and give you a receipt. My extremely considerate, tasteful mother got a beautiful rough engraved gold ring for $300 that she still wears every day :3:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SiGmA_X posted:

I have never heard of this wolfram character before, but I love tungsten carbide tools, so why not rings too? I linked my gf to one and said something along the lines of "this would be awesome for you" and she very pointedly said no, gold and diamonds...drat women!

My ring is tungsten carbide, it is very nice.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
When my boss's wife lost her $10k engagement ring in a park playing fetch with their dogs I asked him if it was insured and he said "Of course not, I'm Jewish!" :jewish:

:shrug:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I feel like a nerd for wanting a plain wedding band and not giving a rat's rear end about an engagement ring. I'd rather spend that money on something fun or cool. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dillbag posted:

When my boss's wife lost her $10k engagement ring in a park playing fetch with their dogs I asked him if it was insured and he said "Of course not, I'm Jewish!" :jewish:

:shrug:
I'm sure they rented a metal detector that afternoon/next morning and found it, right? Surface loss should be findable. Usually. Not always.

spwrozek posted:

My ring is tungsten carbide, it is very nice.
Yeah but your wife wouldn't wear it, would she? Tungsten carbide is def what I want, but my gf made it very clear that won't fly for her. :(

• Locked thread