Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Poetic case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Torabi posted:

Yeah I was a bit confused. Thanks for the help. My dad is going to pick up a chromecast for my mom it seems. Wireless is the way to go. At least the fancy luxury tea that I got my mom for her birthday was a success. (She loves tea) :shobon:

A Chromecast is great if you want to use your phone or tablet as a remote control to stream services like Netflix, HBO Go, or Plex on your TV, but screen mirroring still isn't supported. For that, you'll need a Miracast adapter. Samsung is calling their Miracast implementation "AllShare."

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 20, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
However, you can use a Chromecast to push local photos or videos to your TV, it sounds like that's mostly what she wants?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
She watches her shows on a website that also works on her tablet. Wasn't Chromecast supposed to be able to mirror google chrome windows? Also, isn't Allshare only for smart tvs?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Torabi posted:

She watches her shows on a website that also works on her tablet. Wasn't Chromecast supposed to be able to mirror google chrome windows? Also, isn't Allshare only for smart tvs?
Only Chrome desktop can do that currently. There has been no indication of whether it will come to Android. There have been a few hints that screen mirroring to Chromecast is coming to Android, but it's unclear if or when that might happen. Probably not before the next major version of Android.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tried skimming through the thread, but didn't see anything. Does anyone have any experiences with the Sony Xperia Tablet Z?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Android Chrome browser can send some videos to the Chromecast - if you fullscreen them you might have the cast icon in the corner. It depends on the site and the video type and whether they've made it directly castable.

Chromecasts basically work by playing web content - when you cast a video you're telling it to go to that URL and play that content. This is really how all the apps work too, and browsers can do it if they have the basic 'talk to a Chromecast' functionality built in.

Casting a window is different, because you're not telling the CC to go load some content from an internet server, you want it to display exactly what's happening in your window. Your computer is acting as a server at this point, converting the window content into a live video stream that the CC can connect to like any other content. This is pretty intensive work - especially if that window is already displaying video in the first place. Not only does the computer have to decode and render the video to the window, it has to then encode the window's display and stream it as a server.

This all might be enabled further down the line, but right now your option on Android devices is the former - you want a button that basically sends the CC a link to what you're already watching. If it doesn't work in Chrome, see if they have an actual app that does casting

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Refurb 32GB 2013 Nexus 7 on Woot today for $170.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ranting aside, buy the LG G Pad 8.3, the Nexus 8 is nothing more than a rumor.

I just got the G Pad 8.3 to replace (maybe) my 2013 Nexus 7.

Thoughts so far:
- The screen size is excellent - much better for web browsing than the N7
- Hardware seems great - feels solid, looks good, no complaints about the screen or speakers.
- Unlike the N7 it has a vibration motor so chaotic feedback works when typing.
- Performance seems great - no noticeable difference between it and the N7
- The software is just terrible - every single change LG made has been for the worse
- I've already replaced the keyboard, launcher and all the stock LG apps but unfortunately there is no way to get the proper notification pulldown, and none of the soft key layouts have the multitasking button (seriously)
- Most of the stock apps cannot be disabled and the icons don't show properly in launchers other than the LG one

Overall I'm not sure I'm going to keep it

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Refurb 32GB 2013 Nexus 7 on Woot today for $170.

Great deal, you can also find them for ~$150-160 on Swappa with maybe one small physical imperfection you have to squint to see. Got a mint condition 16gb for $130.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

chaotic feedback
When you type emails you start a hurricane somewhere?

I imagine it's possible to reflash it with the GPE image, though you should probably just buy the GPE edition if that's what you want.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="dissss" post="431312816"]
I just got the G Pad 8.3 to replace (maybe) my 2013 Nexus 7.

Thoughts so far:
- The screen size is excellent - much better for web browsing than the N7
- Hardware seems great - feels solid, looks good, no complaints about the screen or speakers.
- Unlike the N7 it has a vibration motor so chaotic feedback works when typing.
- Performance seems great - no noticeable difference between it and the N7
- The software is just terrible - every single change LG made has been for the worse
- I've already replaced the keyboard, launcher and all the stock LG apps but unfortunately there is no way to get the proper notification pulldown, and none of the soft key layouts have the multitasking button (seriously)
- Most of the stock apps cannot be disabled and the icons don't show properly in launchers other than the LG one

Overall I'm not sure I'm going to keep it
[/softwareCan you maybe get the GPe software on it? Worth investigating.

I am dying for a 10 inch android tablet, they'd better announce something at Google I/O. It's getting ridiculous, there is literally nothing I consider decent available in that size, and my phone makes a smaller tablet redundant.

If apple just decided not to release a new big iPad for 2+ years people would go nuts. Samsungs with hosed up software are no alternative to a new 10" nexus.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wooger posted:

Can you maybe get the GPe software on it? Worth investigating.

I think I read you couldn't put the GPE software on, but you can install Cyanogenmod which will make it much nicer than the LG software.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

The Android Chrome browser can send some videos to the Chromecast - if you fullscreen them you might have the cast icon in the corner. It depends on the site and the video type and whether they've made it directly castable.

Chromecasts basically work by playing web content - when you cast a video you're telling it to go to that URL and play that content. This is really how all the apps work too, and browsers can do it if they have the basic 'talk to a Chromecast' functionality built in.

Casting a window is different, because you're not telling the CC to go load some content from an internet server, you want it to display exactly what's happening in your window. Your computer is acting as a server at this point, converting the window content into a live video stream that the CC can connect to like any other content. This is pretty intensive work - especially if that window is already displaying video in the first place. Not only does the computer have to decode and render the video to the window, it has to then encode the window's display and stream it as a server.

This all might be enabled further down the line, but right now your option on Android devices is the former - you want a button that basically sends the CC a link to what you're already watching. If it doesn't work in Chrome, see if they have an actual app that does casting

If the tablet can play it, I would assume the CC can too. My uncle has one so the next time we visit them I'll have a look. Thanks for the info.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp. Looks like I was wrong. :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/21/this-is-volantis-htcs-nine-inch-nexus-tablet/

8.9" Display at 2048x1440 (281ppi)
NVIDIA Logan 64-bit processor (Tegra K1)
2GB RAM
16/32GB internal storage
8MP OIS main camera, 3MP front facing camera
Aluminum zero-gap construction
Stereo front-facing speakers
8.91"x5.98"x0.31" body (that's 22.63x15.19x0.79cm)
418g (or 427g with LTE) (that's 14.74/15.1 ounces)

16GB for $399
32GB for $499

AP Mock-Up:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Aluminum body tablet? Introducing the HTC iPad

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp. Looks like I was wrong. :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/21/this-is-volantis-htcs-nine-inch-nexus-tablet/

8.9" Display at 2048x1440 (281ppi)
NVIDIA Logan 64-bit processor (Tegra K1)
2GB RAM
16/32GB internal storage
8MP OIS main camera, 3MP front facing camera
Aluminum zero-gap construction
Stereo front-facing speakers
8.91"x5.98"x0.31" body (that's 22.63x15.19x0.79cm)
418g (or 427g with LTE) (that's 14.74/15.1 ounces)

16GB for $399
32GB for $499

AP Mock-Up:

Funny how the nexus line started off cheap and the price just keep creeping up.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
Hopefully pricing isn't final since that $100 bump to 32GB is way too much.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
2048x1440 isn't quite 4:3

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

JoeMB posted:

Hopefully pricing isn't final since that $100 bump to 32GB is way too much.

Apple gets away with it :downs:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

2048x1440 isn't quite 4:3

That's what a lot of people are harping on in AP's comments. Looks like Google is changing aspect ratio.

All in all, it ALSO looks like the future of Nexus is up in the air since this tablet is still a thing.

quote:

With rumors that the Nexus 6 was canceled in light of the Android Silver program, it's important to be cautious when approaching any information regarding future Nexus devices. That said, a source familiar with Volantis tells us that the hardware already exists, and that the tablet is already being toted around by some at Google. Additionally, the first devices pegged for the Android Silver program aren't expected until 2015, so it would make sense that Google is prepping a Nexus to launch Android L.

Oh, forgot to add to my original post, but this tablet is supposed to be the reference device for Android Release "L".

It looks like there may be a new Nexus phone this year so they have something for phones too and just push Android Silver in 2015.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

All in all, it ALSO looks like the future of Nexus is up in the air since this tablet is still a thing.

Oh, forgot to add to my original post, but this tablet is supposed to be the reference device for Android Release "L".

It looks like there may be a new Nexus phone this year so they have something for phones too and just push Android Silver in 2015.
It's almost like I told you this a page ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

It's almost like I told you this a page ago.

What sense would it make for them to only use a tablet to push the L-release? That feels like they're going back to Honeycomb days.

Sure there's the Nexus 5 and maybe even the 4, but what if there's hardware-specific stuff like the N5 has with turning the CPU off when you're locally playing music with the screen off?

I still say that @evleaks was wrong and we'll most likely see an L-release tablet and an L-release phone.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

What sense would it make for them to only use a tablet to push the L-release? That feels like they're going back to Honeycomb days.

Sure there's the Nexus 5 and maybe even the 4, but what if there's hardware-specific stuff like the N5 has with turning the CPU off when you're locally playing music with the screen off?

I still say that @evleaks was wrong and we'll most likely see an L-release tablet and an L-release phone.

The first nexus 7 was the reference device for 4.1 so its not unheard of.

Personally, i'm just hoping for one more nexus phone since my nexus 4 is getting a touch old and LTE would be cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Athenry posted:

The first nexus 7 was the reference device for 4.1 so its not unheard of.

Personally, i'm just hoping for one more nexus phone since my nexus 4 is getting a touch old and LTE would be cool.

That is true and I believe the 10 was the reference device for 4.2 but there was still the Nexus 4 which also launched with 4.2.

I'm hoping for another Nexus phone to replace my own 4 and I don't see them just only using a tablet as the new L-release device. It makes more sense for Google to have one last phone to use...what are they going to use instead? The Nexus 5 with hardware that's been outclassed by now? Not to mention there's the camera changes they want to do that I'm not sure the 5 can actually do.

Either way, this is the tablet thread so I won't speak on this anymore.

People seem to think there's a new 10 coming after I did some Googling for the original one. But I think they'll just focus on the 7-9 inch ones now.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

4:3 - what a load of poo poo.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Daimo posted:

It isn't quite 4:3, but I much prefer it for a tablet, way better to use for web browsing.
I just wish it was a full 10".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daimo posted:

I'm going to be really happy if this is true.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So we got a chromecast. It works with the site she watches, luckily. But of course I can't win, so the latest chrome/youtube update for android breaks my mom's tab pro if you try and pull down the notification bar while you are casting. The ui dies and you have to reboot the tablet. Happened in the latest update apparently. :suicide:

Disabling the updates to youtube and chrome, fixes youtube but chrome won't let me cast without the latest update. Oh well, she can use her phone to cast at least. Hope the issue lies with google and not Samsung, since if it's on Samsung's end, it will never be fixed.

Still, it is so much better than their current setup. Having two tvs next to each other because one doesn't work with my mom's laptop so they stream their shows on the second one.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 22, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Torabi posted:

So we got a chromecast. It works with the site she watches, luckily. But of course I can't win, so the latest chrome/youtube update for android breaks my mom's tab pro if you try and pull down the notification bar while you are casting. The ui dies and you have to reboot the tablet. Happened in the latest update apparently. :suicide:

Disabling the updates to youtube and chrome, fixes youtube but chrome won't let me cast without the latest update. Oh well, she can use her phone to cast at least. Hope the issue lies with google and not Samsung, since if it's on Samsung's end, it will never be fixed.

Did you try running it in Chrome Beta?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Jonesy posted:

Aluminum body tablet? Introducing the HTC iPad

It really looks a lot like an iPad. Can I Hackintosh it? :v:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Did you try running it in Chrome Beta?

I read about the chrome beta thing, but wasn't that just for letting you cast videos opened in the browser? (that aren't from youtube) Since that works fine without the beta on her phone and the tablet, minus the crashing and burning.

Edit:

Oh, didn't realize the chrome beta is a separate app. I'll give it a try.

Update:

Nope that didn't work. Guess all I can do is to hope that the problem lies with google and not Samsung, I don't see Samssung caring about the chromecast any time soon.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 22, 2014

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I think that rumored Nexus tablet is too expensive for my blood. It's the same price of an iPad Mini, which will probably get updated in the next three months.

Maybe Google is trying change the meaning of Nexus to a higher level brand, but I'm not a huge fan.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Allaniis posted:

I think that rumored Nexus tablet is too expensive for my blood. It's the same price of an iPad Mini, which will probably get updated in the next three months.

Maybe Google is trying change the meaning of Nexus to a higher level brand, but I'm not a huge fan.

Its not like the price should be a huge surprise - its closer in function to the old N10, which was priced similarly, than the N7.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I just like how incredibly light the 2013 N7 was. I don't know if I could go to something that's like 45% heavier and call it an upgrade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That must be super heavy. My nexus 7 with case is lighter than than my One M8

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This new tablet weighs 418g.

To compare, the current N7 is 290g, the current-gen iPad Mini is 318g, and the iPad Air is 478g.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has anyone else had problems connecting to wifi after going to 4.4.4? My Nexus 7 2013 doesn't see my access point when my phone (also 4.4.4) does.

Edit: It's just 5ghz. My phone sees my 5ghz AP as well as another one somewhere. My N7 sees nothing.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 27, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How hard is it to replace the battery in the Nexus 7 2013? I don't feel like dealing with ASUS and their Russian Roulette of "Will my tablet not be crappy if I get it back or not" thing they seem to do so...yeah.

Thinking of using http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Generation-ME571K-Battery/dp/B00K7C7DMY this battery.

Would it even be feasible to replace or or just have ASUS do it? I got the tablet from a friend who works for RS back in September so I don't have any warranty on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

How hard is it to replace the battery in the Nexus 7 2013?
Looks easy enough.