Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
well alright then. once all my games are over im going to set myself to 15k and see how that goes. hopefully that doesnt mean i'll be playing against 5-1ks though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

well alright then. once all my games are over im going to set myself to 15k and see how that goes. hopefully that doesnt mean i'll be playing against 5-1ks though

You could always try playing 15ks on kgs :v:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah im going to keep playing on kgs for live games, but i like to play correspondence games a lot so i can play at work (shhh) and when im out on my phone and stuff. i usually have a dozen or so games going at once so there's always a move to think about. just want to make sure im playing other people at my own level!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I think you're only likely to see a lot of bullshit ranks at the very high and very low ends of the spectrum. In between, you might get people sandbagging or inflating themselves by a stone or two either because they just want to win a lot, or because they think they're going to learn faster by playing stronger opponents, but I don't imagine that many people who are trolling/abusing the system are going to pick a rank like 12k.

FWIW, everyone I've played has seemed to be approximately correctly rated.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what is the proper way to respond to these shoulder hits and attachments in the corner? i know the point is to start a fight pronto, but i had no idea what the 'right' thing to do was. http://eidogo.com/#1VHIhCteo

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i played my first in person game with a stranger today, lost by 2 points, it was pretty exciting.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

what is the proper way to respond to these shoulder hits and attachments in the corner? i know the point is to start a fight pronto, but i had no idea what the 'right' thing to do was. http://eidogo.com/#1VHIhCteo

I don't get why some people actually do that (Do they know what an approach is?), but it's usually the same response as being attached to, just extend. Instead of white 8, you can consider q5 or p8. I'm not really sure about this because I don't want to keep pushing from behind even if they're only getting points on the third line. K4 is probably too far; you want M4. Also, black 13 :laffo:. I'd respond to that with either q8, q6, or s7.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

I'm bored at work - http://eidogo.com/#3lzo4jn0w

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 20, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

Here's my take http://eidogo.com/#AH3Ic2oL

Your W8 is an example of what not to do (freak out and try too hard) in response to a weird move. Generally speaking, the punishment to bad moves in the fuseki is going to be getting a more efficient position for you and a less efficient position for your opponent... it's rarely going to be to murder his stones outright. If you try to do so, then you're likely committing a much larger error than your opponent did.

Just turn in the corner at R3 and you have the better position, as you're basically alive in the corner and he isn't. He'll probably turn as well, but then you wedge on the right similarly to the Orthodox Fuseki, and he ends up overconcentrated.

Lemons is correct that blocking the other way in response to the shoulder hit is probably better, so I've shown that line too. At There the key to punishment is that you can bend him around because he's basically forced into playing into hane-at-the-head-of-two. If you're not comfortable playing the double-hane, you can also just extend at O4 and he's still in crappy shape. I've shown possible continuations for both choices.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thanks you guys! part of the problem is my opponent playing fast makes me play fast, gotta force myself to stop and think a bit.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Books arrived today! :yayclod:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

AdorableStar posted:

I don't get why some people actually do that (Do they know what an approach is?), but it's usually the same response as being attached to, just extend. Instead of white 8, you can consider q5 or p8. I'm not really sure about this because I don't want to keep pushing from behind even if they're only getting points on the third line. K4 is probably too far; you want M4. Also, black 13 :laffo:. I'd respond to that with either q8, q6, or s7.

Sometimes it gets played, then white blocks and black hanes underneath, as a way of playing some stones in sente when an approach might be ignored. That's about it though

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Under 15 posted:

Sometimes it gets played, then white blocks and black hanes underneath, as a way of playing some stones in sente when an approach might be ignored. That's about it though

Yeah, often as a ladder breaker or even a ko threat or something.

uranus posted:

thanks you guys! part of the problem is my opponent playing fast makes me play fast, gotta force myself to stop and think a bit.

This is an extremely difficult tendency to break. I never managed to do so, which is why I prefer correspondence play to real-time. Oddly, I don't have the same problem with live play, I don't know why.

I've heard some people say that taking your hand off your mouse between moves helps. Didn't work for me but YMMV. A lot of online guys play so fast that you wouldn't even have time to take your hand off the mouse anyway. But maybe you could train yourself to always put your hand on your knee and then back to the mouse even if your opponent has moved instantly and you think you already know where you want to play.

When I'm playing poker, I don't have trouble following an always-count-to-three rule if I think I'm playing guys capable of picking up timing tells. Dunno why it's so much harder being disciplined about pacing when playing Go.

yehdawg
Oct 2, 2013

Danger Extraordinaire
Hey guys,

I'm trying to play on gokgs.com but for some reason java is now blocked on like every freakin' web browser. Anybody else having trouble playing online? Every time java tries to load it just stops and says java is blocked cus of security reasons, and this happens on all browsers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

yehdawg posted:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to play on gokgs.com but for some reason java is now blocked on like every freakin' web browser. Anybody else having trouble playing online? Every time java tries to load it just stops and says java is blocked cus of security reasons, and this happens on all browsers.
Some Java update (about a year ago) increased the default security setting for java.
You need to lower the default security level for java in the global java settings, or add an exception for kgs.
I don't actually know how to do that on windows.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
If you're talking about January, KGS fixed that in another update a few days later.
(edit: which is not to say that adjusting the security level is inapplicable here)

Xom fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 21, 2014

yehdawg
Oct 2, 2013

Danger Extraordinaire

tonberrytoby posted:

Some Java update (about a year ago) increased the default security setting for java.
You need to lower the default security level for java in the global java settings, or add an exception for kgs.

Thanks that fixed it!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

We need to have a game; I haven't seen you in a while.

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
Something simple from a game I played on Tygem:

White has just connected at the marked point. What is white threatening, if anything?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Prodigious posted:

Something simple from a game I played on Tygem:

White has just connected at the marked point. What is white threatening, if anything?

Using Tygem coordinates,

If white plays B5 and you try to save all your points, you'll lose an entire group of stones, so you're "forced" to play an extra move in there."

B5, A4, C5, B4, C5, B5, D6, C5, F6.

Prodigious
May 6, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

Using Tygem coordinates,

If white plays B5 and you try to save all your points, you'll lose an entire group of stones, so you're "forced" to play an extra move in there."

B5, A4, C5, B4, C5, B5, D6, C5, F6.

Yes, exactly, this is what happened in the game. Black, my opponent, resigned shortly thereafter.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Prodigious posted:

Yes, exactly, this is what happened in the game. Black, my opponent, resigned shortly thereafter.

So this is why you say Tygem 6d are bad? Anyways, dat F6 aji.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
played a couple more games in person today, man is it way more fun. i feel like i play way differently in person, i feel more confident which is weird cause i thought it would be the reverse. i guess seeing that its a normal human being in front of me and not some crazy go robot makes it easier? anyway its way fun. still have yet to play a game on my awesome board though.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

played a couple more games in person today, man is it way more fun.

This is correct.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like the new OGS update just dropped. The GUI is a bit more involved but otherwise looks good so far.

Cool stuff I found so far:

Chrome notifications for chat mentions
Arbitrary board sizes (1x1 to 25x25)!
Forum overhaul (using the nice Discourse system)

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 22, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
guys, go is really fun

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

guys, go is really fun

This is correct.

Just don't ruin it for yourself by taking it too seriously!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

you heard it here first folks,

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

7 dans play some interesting fuseki.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Looks good for white

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

So this quote is interesting for me about the attach and extend joseki:

quote:

Sorry but this is wrong. Attach is a special purpose joseki and is played by weak players many many times when it is bad. Guo Juan 5p's advice is to banish this move from your repertoire until you are 5 dan as only then can you identify the rare occurrences it is good. Perhaps its popularity comes from its recommendation as a handicap joseki in that it's good enough if you start with loads of stones and is fairly simple.

Yes, this is in my repitoire, but I can only recall ever using it on those rare occasions when my 4-4 stone is double approached. Does anyone actually know what its "special purpose" is and if I use it in the wrong situation? (Maybe it's still a global thing in my case.)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

So this quote is interesting for me about the attach and extend joseki:

Yes, this is in my repitoire, but I can only recall ever using it on those rare occasions when my 4-4 stone is double approached. Does anyone actually know what its "special purpose" is and if I use it in the wrong situation? (Maybe it's still a global thing in my case.)

Well, its main advantage is that it doesn't really allow the other player any options. That's why it's recommended for handicap games, because you only need to memorize one line... but that can also be its advantage in regular play if you simply don't want to give your opponent any choice in direction.

Usually, if you want influence down that side of the board, playing the one-space low pincer is going to get you a better result... however, it could be that the circumstances make it reasonable for your opponent to jump out in response to the pincer rather than invading the corner. Attaching avoids that possibility.

Other things that could make it good are if the situation is such that you don't need to worry about the cut and can end in sente, and/or if the situation in the adjacent corner is such that your opponent's extension ends up badly placed relative to those stones (but that he still needs to make an extension).

But if most of these things are true, approaching that side of your hoshi was probably bad for your opponent in the first place, so it really doesn't come up very often. I guess it could come up if you had tenukied in response to the approach and your opponent didn't find time to make the double approach.

Finally, I could see it being used as a series of ko threats, because contact moves are a lot harder to ignore than e.g. a pincer.

xopods fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 29, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
had a fun 9 stone handicap game with a 2k. won by 10 points. woo me. maybe i should be writing these games down or something.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

had a fun 9 stone handicap game with a 2k. won by 10 points. woo me. maybe i should be writing these games down or something.

You'll distract yourself if you try to record a kifu while playing.

What you should do, though, is after every game, replay as much as you can from memory. At first you'll probably only be able to remember the beginning of the fuseki and maybe a joseki if you happened to play one you know well... as you improve, though, you'll remember more and more. Aside from being of direct usefulness in terms of ability to review your games, practicing your recall skills will help you in terms of ability to visualize shapes and patterns before playing them out, which in turn will help with making strategic, direction of play-related decisions.

You can also practice with pro games. I'm not a fan of the idea of committing a bunch of pro games to permanent, long-term memory, but I find that trying to reproduce games from short-term memory while studying reviews helps in understanding, since it forces you to pay attention to the timing of moves and the reasoning behind them.

Basically, the reason stronger players can remember games more readily isn't that we're weird robot savants, but that as you get stronger, you think less in terms of individual moves and more in terms of natural sequences. The better you get, the longer those sequences get, because the range of moves that seem natural to you expands. You don't actually need to remember every move, just the weird and/or strategically important ones which create branching points or kick off the formation of a shape. And then combine that with a visual memory of how the final position looked. Essentially, you just remember 20 or 30 key moves and the shape of things at each of those junctures, and reconstructing the moves in between is easy because there's really only one way to get from position A to position B that makes any sense.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe one factor in being able to do it more easily is that, as you get stronger, the number of natural moves each side makes is much higher? How well would you remember a game against a 17k where most of their moves aren't exactly ideal. I think I tried to remember one game I had in person, but I couldn't get past move 15 because he had approached my 3-4 in the low Chinese and I can't remember what he did after I kicked and made a knight's move after that. Was it a shoulder hit? An attachment? Did he run out? No, he couldn't have because I got a 3 stone wall somehow. Which was it? I can't remember!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

For Xopods who is the one that'll probably solve it for us.
Black b4 white B5 worked because of under the stones, but we can't find a solution if white throws in at A3

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
That problem has no solutions as it stands.

Edit: Maybe c7 is meant to be black?

Prodigious fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 30, 2014

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Maybe I'm completely misreading but, the only move that I see that seems to have a shot of working
is a5, which seems to turn things into many awful kos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Maybe one factor in being able to do it more easily is that, as you get stronger, the number of natural moves each side makes is much higher? How well would you remember a game against a 17k where most of their moves aren't exactly ideal. I think I tried to remember one game I had in person, but I couldn't get past move 15 because he had approached my 3-4 in the low Chinese and I can't remember what he did after I kicked and made a knight's move after that. Was it a shoulder hit? An attachment? Did he run out? No, he couldn't have because I got a 3 stone wall somehow. Which was it? I can't remember!

Yes, this is 100% true. Like I said:

Xopods posted:

The better you get, the longer those sequences get, because the range of moves that seem natural to you expands.

And as you say, I have a much harder time remembering e.g. a 9-stone teaching game I give to someone weak, compared to an even game against someone my level.

Regardless, though... even if it seems like a lost cause trying to remember your games as a DDK or high SDK, I think it's still a worthwhile endeavour to try. Anything that helps exercise the part of your brain that sees the game in terms of shapes and functions and flow rather than points on a grid is bound to help.