Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

Like in that universe we're laughing at how Obama has adopted the Onion Obama persona while drinking ourselves to death.

So instead of just drinking ourselves to death? That... sounds like a mild improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

I keep hearing from random internet fuckwits that "the SPLC has JUMPED THE SHARK AND LOST ALL CREDIBILITY for naming these homophobic groups as hate groups."

Watch now as those "OH TOTALLY NOT HATE GROUPS" start threatening violence and declaring jihad on the US.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Serious question. If Hillary is President and Obama is Veep, what happens if Hillary dies during her term? Can Obama legally take over as President?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Spacedad posted:

I think she's trying to string about six different ideas together and connect them with xenophobia, RINO-ish party-riling, and Obama attacks, cemented with some a bloo bloo crocodile tears for children she doesn't give a poo poo about. It's like she literally took the bullet point list of topics she's supposed to repeat endlessly as recommended to her by a Republican strategist, and then failingly tried to cram them all in a meat grinder.
Yeah I was gonna try and parse that but my eyes started rolling back pretty fast. I think I lost her [ghost-writer] at the part where she immediately followed "get the less-fortunate out of my country" with "As a Christian..."

A shill like Palin threatening to leave the GOP that's made her unbelievably rich, unless the president resigns, is hysterical. And when Obama remains in office the media will quietly bury her promise.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

7thBatallion posted:

Serious question. If Hillary is President and Obama is Veep, what happens if Hillary dies during her term? Can Obama legally take over as President?

Twelfth Amendment plus Twenty Second would bar him being Veep.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Plus, he's black, and everyone knows that's icky and weird! Why I'd be liable to just about lose my wig if we ever actually got us a BLACK for president.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why would future Supreme Court Justice Barack Obama agree to be VP anyway?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Jagchosis posted:

Twelfth Amendment plus Twenty Second would bar him being Veep.

Forgot about the 22nd. Phooey.

PostNouveau posted:

Why would future Supreme Court Justice Barack Obama agree to be VP anyway?

To assassinate the President and get a third term?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 21, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I listened to some Mark Levin, tonight. Of all the right-wing hategolems, he may be the one I dislike the most. The guy's entire show is a display of manufactured anger. Levin immediately cranks up the screaming and fury to 11, and just stays there until he goes off the air. "We're sick of [just... everything], and we're not going to take it!" You are going to take it, Mark. You're going to sit right there and "take it," because you don't have any alternatives to offer. I find it baffling that there are people tuning into this poo poo every day. I imagine Levin's listeners screaming along with him, feeling their blood pressure spike, and walking away at the end with the impression that some kind of point has been made. Big doings are just around the corner, because millions of people just like me and Mark Aren't Going to Take It, Anymore!

Tonight, a man who owes his entire existence to government regulation of the electromagnetic spectrum, started his broadcast by declaring that there are many people, just like him, who do not need, and derive no benefit from, the government. Levin also took credit for popularizing the words "crony capitalism" and "statist." He was humble enough to admit that he did not invent those words, he just used his power of influence to bring them into the cultural consciousness. According to Levin, no one was using those words before he came along.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Centripetal Horse posted:

I listened to some Mark Levin, tonight. Of all the right-wing hategolems, he may be the one I dislike the most. The guy's entire show is a display of manufactured anger. Levin immediately cranks up the screaming and fury to 11, and just stays there until he goes off the air. "We're sick of [just... everything], and we're not going to take it!" You are going to take it, Mark. You're going to sit right there and "take it," because you don't have any alternatives to offer. I find it baffling that there are people tuning into this poo poo every day. I imagine Levin's listeners screaming along with him, feeling their blood pressure spike, and walking away at the end with the impression that some kind of point has been made. Big doings are just around the corner, because millions of people just like me and Mark Aren't Going to Take It, Anymore!

Tonight, a man who owes his entire existence to government regulation of the electromagnetic spectrum, started his broadcast by declaring that there are many people, just like him, who do not need, and derive no benefit from, the government. Levin also took credit for popularizing the words "crony capitalism" and "statist." He was humble enough to admit that he did not invent those words, he just used his power of influence to bring them into the cultural consciousness. According to Levin, no one was using those words before he came along.
He's a lot more entertaining if you imagine you're listening to Master Shake. Like this:

http://youtubedoubler.com/cKGq

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hazo posted:

Yeah I was gonna try and parse that but my eyes started rolling back pretty fast. I think I lost her [ghost-writer] at the part where she immediately followed "get the less-fortunate out of my country" with "As a Christian..."

"Do unto others as you've been told they'd do unto you if they got the chance, boy howdy!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slightly Toasted posted:

tl;dr: NATO secretary-general claims fracking is all cool and good and Russia is behind the whole anti-fracking agenda to maintain their energy monopoly over Europe yessir

It's far from unlikely though, unless you think that dirty astroturfing tricks are beyond Gazprom or other energy companies. Of course they spend millions to spread lies about alternatives to their product. Not that this makes fracking good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Has anyone put together any credible theories or informed speculation about what would have happened to Obama in the Hillverse? I've heard people throw SCOTUS around but I don't know if that's based on anything other than his law background.

Probably what happened to her happens to him. He's a charismatic up-and-coming who probably earns a cabinet level post for playing nice after the primary. The only question is weather or not he gets it before or after his senate term ends.

7thBatallion posted:

It all depends if your definition of "eligible" means "able to be" or "able to be elected."
Obama can no longer be elected president, he may still be eligible...

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

If Hillary defers the presidency post-election to her VP Obama it will definitely confuse the hell out of the right after they've continually blown Putin for the past however many months.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I'm baffled by people suggesting Hillary would have been as ineffectual as Obama. She'd been networking on the hill and building relationships for her entire career. She has a stock of favors owed both to herself and her husband to leverage. She knows where lots of skeletons are buried so she's got sticks as well as carrots.

Specifically vis-a-vi the senate, her time there would have hugely reduced the spite factor. Remember, Obama isn't just black, he was a newbie senator who spent his short time in the senate being to cool for school. That's worse than being a Washington outsider like a governor or something because it means he shows up, ignores traditions and protocols, then leapfrogs over the lifers who play the game by the rules to the ultimate prize. So all the people who he ticked off - or whose advice he ignored when they explained How We Do Things Here - in the senate now have to call him sir and stand when he enters the room.

He broke all the rules and shot to the top office in the land in two hops and there would've been plenty of professional jealousy aimed at him even if he were a pudgy old white guy.

With Hillary misogyny would absolutely have been used for base riling ( the bible says women should be silent and may not rule over men blah blah blah ) but the bulk of the GOP senate would just be pushers of that narrative not users because they know her personally and have a history of working with her. Shenanigans like blocking every appointment to anything they can block would not have happened because they would just be playing the game of politics against her. It wouldn't have been personal on the level it was with Obama.

And she'd have had Pelosi plus a majority in the House. Stuff would absolutely have gotten done and done much more smoothly.

Obama could have done the same thing if he'd stayed in the senate longer and worked it with more focus. It would no more have ended racism in the senate than Clinton's work ended misogyny. But it would have taken a huge amount of the edge off. And it's not unreasonable to ask. Going from freshman senator to president is not normal.

Warren isn't ready for a presidential run for the same reasons Obama wasn't. She needs time to come into her full potential.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Shenanigans like blocking every appointment to anything they can block would not have happened because they would just be playing the game of politics against her. It wouldn't have been personal on the level it was with Obama.

This is absurd. It's like you missed the 90s.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Guilty Spork posted:

Grover Norquist apparently decided to get into a Twitter slapfight with Conan O'Brien

Why do right wing pundit keep getting in fights with comedians? They couldn't pick a worse person to get in a twitter slapfest with, but they just can't resist.

edit

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

This is absurd. It's like you missed the 90s.

The nineties ended like fifteen years ago. Half of SA probably doesn't remember the 90's.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 21, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McAlister posted:

I'm baffled by people suggesting Hillary would have been as ineffectual as Obama. She'd been networking on the hill and building relationships for her entire career. She has a stock of favors owed both to herself and her husband to leverage. She knows where lots of skeletons are buried so she's got sticks as well as carrots.

Specifically vis-a-vi the senate, her time there would have hugely reduced the spite factor. Remember, Obama isn't just black, he was a newbie senator who spent his short time in the senate being to cool for school. That's worse than being a Washington outsider like a governor or something because it means he shows up, ignores traditions and protocols, then leapfrogs over the lifers who play the game by the rules to the ultimate prize. So all the people who he ticked off - or whose advice he ignored when they explained How We Do Things Here - in the senate now have to call him sir and stand when he enters the room.

He broke all the rules and shot to the top office in the land in two hops and there would've been plenty of professional jealousy aimed at him even if he were a pudgy old white guy.

With Hillary misogyny would absolutely have been used for base riling ( the bible says women should be silent and may not rule over men blah blah blah ) but the bulk of the GOP senate would just be pushers of that narrative not users because they know her personally and have a history of working with her. Shenanigans like blocking every appointment to anything they can block would not have happened because they would just be playing the game of politics against her. It wouldn't have been personal on the level it was with Obama.

And she'd have had Pelosi plus a majority in the House. Stuff would absolutely have gotten done and done much more smoothly.

Obama could have done the same thing if he'd stayed in the senate longer and worked it with more focus. It would no more have ended racism in the senate than Clinton's work ended misogyny. But it would have taken a huge amount of the edge off. And it's not unreasonable to ask. Going from freshman senator to president is not normal.

Warren isn't ready for a presidential run for the same reasons Obama wasn't. She needs time to come into her full potential.

While this may be true for the two years the Democrats held both houses of Congress there's no reason to think that the Tea Party wave wouldn't have happened (the main issue was healthcare, it doesn't matter if it's "the black man" or "the Democrat woman"). In addition, if the Tea Partiers didn't hate Hillary with the same vehemency as they did Obama they would be more open to compromise and we'd get a bunch of bullshit Grand Bargains out of it (Clintons aren't necessarily opposed to those).

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

the two years the Democrats held both houses of Congress
Hate to break it to you, but that's not what actually happened. If it were, we *may* have actually gotten some of the things we were hoping for. Maybe.

I'd post a link but I don't trust myself to pick the right one. I'd be grateful if someone more familiar with the details of this old gem would debunk it so I don't gently caress it up.

You'll find a ton of contradictory information here, but I'm not savvy enough to suss out the most accurate interpretation.

Here's one:

quote:

The Myth of the Democratic Super Majority

The Truth is that the Democrats only had a filibuster-proof majority for 24 working days during that period. Here are the details:

To define terms, a Filibuster-Proof Majority or Super Majority is the number of votes required to overcome a filibuster in the Senate. According to current Senate rules, 60 votes are required to overcome a filibuster.

Here is a time-line of the events after the 2008 election:

1. BALANCE BEFORE THE ELECTION. In 2007 – 2008 the balance in the Senate was 51-49 in favor of the Democrats. On top of that, there was a Republican president who would likely veto any legislation the Republicans didn’t like. Not exactly a super majority.

2. BIG GAIN IN 2008, BUT STILL NO SUPER MAJORITY. Coming out the 2008 election, the Democrats made big gains, but they didn’t immediately get a Super Majority. The Minnesota Senate race required a recount and was not undecided for more than six months. During that time, Norm Coleman was still sitting in the Senate and the Balance 59-41, still not a Super Majority.

3. KENNEDY GRAVELY ILL. Teddy Kennedy casts his last vote in April and leaves Washington for good around the first of May. Technically he could come back to Washington vote on a pressing issue, but in actual fact, he never returns, even to vote on the Sotomayor confirmation. That leaves the balance in the Senate 58-41, two votes away from a super majority.

4. STILL NO SUPER MAJORITY. In July, Al Frankin was finally declared the winner and was sworn in on July 7th, 2009, so the Democrats finally had a Super Majority of 60-40 six and one-half months into the year. However, by this point, Kennedy was unable to return to Washington even to participate in the Health Care debate, so it was only a technical super majority because Kennedy could no longer vote and the Senate does not allow proxies. Now the actual actual balance of voting members is 59-40 not enough to overcome a Republican filibuster.

5. SENATE IS IN RECESS. Even if Kennedy were able to vote, the Senate went into summer recess three weeks later, from August 7th to September 8th.

6. KENNEDY DIES. Six weeks later, on Aug 26, 2009 Teddy Kennedy died, putting the balance at 59-40. Now the Democrats don’t even have technical super majority.

7. FINALLY, A SUPER MAJORITY! Kennedy’s replacement was sworn in on September 25, 2009, finally making the majority 60-40, just enough for a super majority.

8. SENATE ADJOURNS. However the Senate adjourned for the year on October 9th, only providing 11 working days of super majority, from September 25th to October 9th.

8. SCOTT BROWN ELECTED. Scott Brown was elected in November of 2009. The Senate was not in session during November and December of 2009. The Senate was in session for 10 days in January, but Scott Brown was sworn into office on February 4th, so the Democrats only had 13 days of super majority in 2010.

Summary: The Democrats only had 24 days of Super Majority between 2008 and 2010.

Discussion: The Democrats had a super majority for a total of 24 days. On top of that, the period of Super Majority was split into one 11-day period and one 13-day period. Given the glacial pace that business takes place in the Senate, this was way too little time for the Democrats pass any meaningful legislation, let alone get bills through committees and past all the obstructionistic tactics the Republicans were using to block legislation.

Further, these Super Majorities count Joe Lieberman as a Democrat even though he was by this time an Independent. Even though he was Liberal on some legislation, he was very conservative on other issues and opposed many of the key pieces of legislation the Democrats and Obama wanted to pass. For example, he was adamantly opposed to “Single Payer” health care and vowed to support a Republican Filibuster if it ever came to the floor.

Summary:

1. 1/07 – 12/08 – 51-49 – Ordinary Majority.
2. 1/09 – 7/14/09 – 59-41 – Ordinary Majority. (Coleman/Franklin Recount.)
3. 7/09 – 8/09 – 60-40 – Technical Super Majority, but since Kennedy is unable to vote, the Democrats can’t overcome a filibuster
4. 8/09 – 9/09 – 59-40 – Ordinary Majority. (Kennedy dies)
5. 9/09 – 10/09 – 60-40 – Super Majority for 11 working days.
6. 1/10 – 2/10 – 60-40 – Super Majority for 13 working days

Total Time of the Democratic Super Majority: 24 Working days.

It's full of typos, but I think it's factually, technically accurate. I welcome any clarification.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 21, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

The nineties ended like fifteen years ago. Half of SA probably doesn't remember the 90's.

To true. I remember very little of how bad the GOP got in the 90s aside from the govt shutdowns, which as a child don't seem like a big deal. I do remember my father telling me about how the Washington Times was run by a cult leader and how conservatives were constantly breaking rules (privacy, secrecy, etc) to give information to the Times in hopes of damaging Clinton. Kind of like an entire decade of Scooter Libby's every few weeks, but since none of the information risked the life of an American spy overseas it wasn't newsworthy.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

The best part of the 90s was when the GOP accused Clinton of manufacturing going after some nobody named bin Laden to distract from the obviously more important Lewinsky scandal. Some things never change.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The best part of the 90s was when the GOP accused Clinton of manufacturing going after some nobody named bin Laden to distract from the obviously more important Lewinsky scandal. Some things never change.

Do you have a citation for this? I'd love to see it in print.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I remember that too. Keep in mind, they were saying that after the bombing of the USS Cole iirc. These days Republicans would have lost their loving minds if a military ship got bombed. But back then it was a distraction from impeaching the president over a BJ

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

platedlizard posted:

I remember that too. Keep in mind, they were saying that after the bombing of the USS Cole iirc. These days Republicans would have lost their loving minds if a military ship got bombed. But back then it was a distraction from impeaching the president over a BJ

To be fair the Clinton administration didn't give much of a poo poo about the Cole bombing either.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you have a citation for this? I'd love to see it in print.

This comes from the Accuracy In Media group, i.e. the right-wing Media Matters: http://www.aim.org/publications/media_monitor/1999/04/02.htm.

A Jake Tapper postmortem suggests that the GOP itself actually supported Clinton in this, but that the mainstream press, egged on by WND et al, were the ones flogging this story (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2006/09/the_truth_about/), which is arguably even worse than other politicians doing it.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hate to break it to you, but that's not what actually happened. If it were, we *may* have actually gotten some of the

And if Clinton had been president she would have had a reasonable chance of getting a few republicans to vote for culture. She has a history of successful bipartisan initiatives. Hell, she got (edit Grahm) to work with her on a health care initiative. They wouldn't have to vote for her bills, so they could go on record opposing them. Just for cloture.

This is because all the acrimony of the 90's was political theater. Not personally held vendettas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/nyregion/30hillary.html?pagewanted=print&_

Clinton has personally worked with a wide variety of republicans on legislation they care about. She extended olive branches to all the folks who lead the 90's witch hunts and helped them out with thing they wanted/needed when she got to the senate. She was classy and forgiving when they needed her help.

When Katrina ravaged Mississippi and Trent Lott needed aid for his state Hillary lead the charge to give it to him.

When Lindsy graham invited a bunch of senators to a press conference he was holding about improving health benefits for the national guard Hillary was the only senator who showed up. She became his co sponsor for that legislation and they teamed up on it.

That link has republicans talking about her "core of inner strength" and how "we complemented each other" and "chose not to let history define us."

Doing what was done to Obama was easy because Obama was an outsider who didn't cultivate relationships in the senate. It would have been vastly harder to do it to Hillary because she had those working relationships.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Why do right wing pundit keep getting in fights with comedians? They couldn't pick a worse person to get in a twitter slapfest with, but they just can't resist.

They lack a sense of humor so anything related to comedy confuses and scares them so they react with anger

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

platedlizard posted:

I remember that too. Keep in mind, they were saying that after the bombing of the USS Cole iirc.

The Cole was attacked 2 years later. The wag the dog stuff was about sending cruise missiles in response to US embassies in Africa being bombed.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

To be fair the Clinton administration didn't give much of a poo poo about the Cole bombing either.

Not necessarily so. The Clinton administration ended before the CIA really had its act together about responsibility for the Cole attack.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

While this may be true for the two years the Democrats held both houses of Congress there's no reason to think that the Tea Party wave wouldn't have happened (the main issue was healthcare, it doesn't matter if it's "the black man" or "the Democrat woman"). In addition, if the Tea Partiers didn't hate Hillary with the same vehemency as they did Obama they would be more open to compromise and we'd get a bunch of bullshit Grand Bargains out of it (Clintons aren't necessarily opposed to those).

I'm sure the tea party wave would have happened just with racism subbed for misogyny as their glue. Once they take the house everything grinds to a halt and Clinton is very similar to Obama.

That's still two years to get a better ACA than we got. Pelosi passed a lot of awesome stuff like a public option that died in the senate because Obama faced absolutely lockstep opposition there. Getting even one across the aisle cloture vote is impossible for him because he has no leverage with which to extract it.

Clinton has lots of leverage. In addition to ground already covered in prior posts there is also the fact that while there are no black GOP senators there are a few female GOP senators from fairly moderate places. Women who personally would not be thrilled with plan "let's filibuster everything she does cause she's a woman " and who come from states where voting for health care I popular.

So that's yet another way Clinton could have forged a working supermajority for cloture votes in the senate.

Edit: bah phone posting ate my post then mangled it.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 22, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McAlister posted:

That's still two years to get a better ACA than we got.
I'm sorry, but does the fact that the dems never had a filibuster-proof majority for more than 11 then 13 days just not register or am I missing something? Is anybody out there?

Just tell me what I am missing.

Is this in dispute?

quote:

Further, these Super Majorities count Joe Lieberman as a Democrat even though he was by this time an Independent. Even though he was Liberal on some legislation, he was very conservative on other issues and opposed many of the key pieces of legislation the Democrats and Obama wanted to pass. For example, he was adamantly opposed to “Single Payer” health care and vowed to support a Republican Filibuster if it ever came to the floor.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm sorry, but does the fact that the dems never had a filibuster-proof majority for more than 11 then 13 days just not register or am I missing something? Is anybody out there?

Is this in dispute?

What you're missing is that post you're looking at is discussing the alternate universe where Hillary became president in 2008 instead of Obama, which presumably might have altered the disposition of the non-junior Republicans enough to make that lack of a Democratic majority matter less.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

McAlister posted:

"let's filibuster everything she does cause she's a woman Democrat"

And McConnell would have still made news by saying that their primary goal is to make sure Hillary is a one term President. The Tea Party would have still been riled up over "Hillary Care, part 2". Her palling around with Senators for a few more years than Obama did would have meant gently caress all when it came time to push the Republican party line and getting the right-wing base motivated.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the clarification.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
This Clinton alt-history stuff seems extremely optimistic. Obama had large numbers of ex-Clinton staffers working for him, and it was them who largely shaped his strategy in approaching the ACA. Unless Hillary knew where some bodies were buried, I'm not seeing what unique insights she would have had.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

I'd say the way the Obama presidency coincided with the rise of social media and the polarisation of news media had a lot more to do with the rise of the tea party than how many senatorial allies Hillary or Obama had.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Is this in dispute?

The two posts that went over why Hillary had leverage to get more cloture votes than Obama did and thus put one together.

Try addressing the points raised instead of repeating yourself.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And McConnell would have still made news by saying that their primary goal is to make sure Hillary is a one term President. The Tea Party would have still been riled up over "Hillary Care, part 2". Her palling around with Senators for a few more years than Obama did would have meant gently caress all when it came time to push the Republican party line and getting the right-wing base motivated.

You are listing things that would piss me off hugely if my name were Olympia Snowe and would not be a threat to my re-electability because if that were my name I'd be retiring in 2013 anyway.

And if my name were Susan Collins it would also tick me off and I would have the option of running as an independent or a dem if I did something about it.

Kay Bailey - being from Texas instead of Maine - probably wouldn't flip.

Lisa Murkowski - very likely to be pissed off by that poo poo, and known to be willing/able to tell the GOP to go gently caress itself then win as a write in if they primary her. Heck, she's on record voting against the Hyde amendment skimming her voting record on votesmart.org

As was noted in the effort post about no supermajority, Barak was just a vote from cloture for awhile. 1 vote could have shut those shenanigans down before they got traction.

I just listed three shots at that vote that Barak didn't have but Clinton did.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Thinking that Hillary would have had it any easier than Obama is nonsense. She is loathed among the GOP, and her liasons across the aisle would jyst shrug and vote with the party instead of voting for her projects and hanging out to dry.

Besides, unlike a newcomer like Obama, Hillary has a political past to exploit. They had to turn "Obama is a muslim foreigner" into a thing to smear him with. Hillary would have been pelted 24/7 with Whitewater, Waco, Ruby Ridge, and the exhumed corpse of Vince Foster. If you think the NRA and its cronies are freaking out over Obama grabbing their guns, think of what they'd say with a person whose last name is Clinton on the White House.

Wasn't there some preacher who made a documentary about the Clintons and their murder sprees that sold a million copies? I think it was called The Clinton Chronicles.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think Hillary would have been a better president than Obama but anyone who thinks the GOP would have gone any less apeshit is delusional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The right will will go exactly as crazy over Hillary as they did Obama, no more no less, but that doesn't mean it won't be jarring to watch the cognitive dissonance as they shift from dog whistle racism to open misogyny or that there isn't a poo poo-tonne of hilarious b-roll of Republicans praising both the Clintons over the last two general election cycles as they attempted to seduce Hillary primary supporters.