Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fluo posted:

The Rauchbier is more German (and already done one), don't worry it's :siren: WildCard :siren: for Netherlands next one so I got something special up my hand (something like Jopen Koyt). :)

That would be my suggestion for Jopen! Great minds etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm on vacation so I'm drinking poo poo piss beer but hell, it's getting me drunk every day.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
nice shrap where are you

fluo make me some mead

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I can see why you went with Fuller's ESB as an easy to get beer for dirty foreigners, but personally, I hate it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

nice shrap where are you

fluo make me some mead

I have some mead

Fluo
May 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

nice shrap where are you

fluo make me some mead

I'm working on mead but at the moment first I'm dealing with my beer and wine. Don't worry I'll get there.

Colombia vs Ivory Coast

Águila (Brewed by Cervecería De Barranquilla) 4%.

Colombia's Budweiser.
While not one of the biggest consumers in the region, Colombia does have a long tradition of brewers. Chief among them is Bavaria, founded in 1889 by a German immigrant. Its main brand, Águila, has its origins in the city of Barranquilla and can be found nationwide. It is the official sponsor of Colombia's Selección de Fútbol.

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright yellow body with a tiny, white head. Smell: Sweet-smelling corn aroma riddling with skunkiness smelling of unwashed swim suits. Bleh. Taste: Sweaty, sweet pale malts and corn with a gulp of drainage basin water. Quick hint of flowers. There's a skunkiness here that would give even Heineken a run for its money. Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Ivory Coast
I was worried this would happen with some of the South American and African countries. Well Ivory Coast I already did Mamba, and the other one is the same loving beer. Two known beers which are the same. So I'm going to have to pull the Wild Card and go with their national drink. If ever have to do a Beers of the World Cup here or anywhere else. I think I will just do alcohol, cause alot of countries tend to be more into their wines or spirits. Like if you did just spirits you could cover these countries 100times easier but wheres the fun in that? However I'm stuck here. So palm wine. (Also I ever did just went into spirits it'd be like England: Plymouth Gin [England = Gin Spirit), Japan: Juyondai Yamagata (Sake), America: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 9 YO (Bourbon) you get the idea).

Bangui (Palm Wine)

Talk about tropical idyll: wherever there's a critical mass of palm trees, there's sure to be someone guzzling down their syrupy contents. From West Africa to the islands of the Pacific, people have for centuries tapped the sap found in palm trees and let it ferment. Then they got trashed. The drink is perhaps the most time-honored and universal moonshine around — and not just among humans. It's been found that the Malaysian pen-tailed shrew, a tiny, long-nosed creature, subsists almost entirely on the fermented nectar of flower buds from palm trees.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

nice shrap where are you

fluo make me some mead

I'm in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina which is a pretty fake and poo poo city but all I'm doing all day is getting drunk on the beach and then walking the 200 yards to the bar down the street from my house.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

I can see why you went with Fuller's ESB as an easy to get beer for dirty foreigners, but personally, I hate it.

It's a good beer for an easy to get and cheap world wide. I could post some amazing ones like Moor - Sloe Walker, Wild beer - Put It In Your Pipe, Kernel - Export Indian Porter, Thornbridge Jaipur, or their Raspberry Imperial Stout, Saltaire - Triple Chocolate Stout, Arbor - Yakima Valley, New Bristol Brewery - Super Deluxe Stout, Bristol Beer Factory - Vintage 2012, Siren - Liquid Mistress, Ashley Down - Plum Porter, Magic Rock - Un-Human Cannonball, Dark Star - Espresso etc etc.

I went with Fuller's ESB for the easy to get and drink cause personally it's nice, nothing amazingly special but its miles better then carlin (which is Canadian, but sold here as being English) or any of those other types but I guess we all have our own taste, like I'm really not a fan of Bishop's Finger <insert joke here>. :(

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Shrapnig posted:

I'm in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina which is a pretty fake and poo poo city but all I'm doing all day is getting drunk on the beach and then walking the 200 yards to the bar down the street from my house.

find some Westbrook, man, they make good beer

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Andre LeFuckface if you like peachy fruit elderflower beer also get Badger Golden Champion Ale, if not don't get it!! :)

Badger - Golden Glory is my favourite of the Badger beers, its really peachy fruit pale ale though so if you don't like apricots / peach flavour in your beer don't get it.

The 3 for £5 offer is also on lagers if you want a nice old lager with your curry tonight aswell. :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fluo posted:

It's a good beer for an easy to get and cheap world wide. I could post some amazing ones like Moor - Sloe Walker, Wild beer - Put It In Your Pipe, Kernel - Export Indian Porter, Thornbridge Jaipur, or their Raspberry Imperial Stout, Saltaire - Triple Chocolate Stout, Arbor - Yakima Valley, New Bristol Brewery - Super Deluxe Stout, Bristol Beer Factory - Vintage 2012, Siren - Liquid Mistress, Ashley Down - Plum Porter, Magic Rock - Un-Human Cannonball, Dark Star - Espresso etc etc.

I went with Fuller's ESB for the easy to get and drink cause personally it's nice, nothing amazingly special but its miles better then carlin (which is Canadian, but sold here as being English) or any of those other types but I guess we all have our own taste, like I'm really not a fan of Bishop's Finger <insert joke here>. :(

No worries, I'd have suggested Old Speckled Hen (or it's superior brother, Old Crafty Hen) for its Englishness but each to their own :)

P.S Thank Christ you didn't say Carling, Lager is poo poo anyway but Carling is probably the worst of its kind!

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 19, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

No worries, I'd have suggested Old Speckled Hen (or it's superior brother, Old Crafty Hen) for its Englishness but each to their own :)

I avoided Old Speckled Hen because from American friends who have tried it, it's always skunked by the time it gets to them because of the UV light (cause they're in clear bottles). I guess if you got hold of some cans it'd be nice though. :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fluo posted:

I avoided Old Speckled Hen because from American friends who have tried it, it's always skunked by the time it gets to them because of the UV light (cause they're in clear bottles). I guess if you got hold of some cans it'd be nice though. :)

Yeah I guess Old Speckled Hen wouldn't travel very well and would have to be brewed locally under licence. Always risky.

Wychwood Hobgoblin?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yeah I guess Old Speckled Hen wouldn't travel very well and would have to be brewed locally under licence. Always risky.

Wychwood Hobgoblin?

Hobgolin is easy (atleast in Chicago) to get hold of and is also nice.

The brewery I dislike very much is Bath Ales, they over stress their yeast and never ever fixed their yeast problem even when people complained or pointed it out. All their beers have that butterscotch / buttery / popcorn taste and I hate it. I know some people who like that taste but its just vomit.

quote:

Diacetyl
Buttery, Butterscotch, Movie
Popcorn
Try another yeast strain. Oxygenate wort before fermentation. Reduce primary fermentation temperature. Use a
warmer/longer secondary fermentation. Use healthy yeast in sufficient quantity. Make sure sufficient yeast nutrients
are available (including reducing adjunct use). Check for infection. Allow beer to rest on yeast until fully attenuated.
Don’t rack, filter or fine too early. Don’t crash-cool yeast. If lager, raise temperature for a diacetyl rest at end of
fermentation. Bottle condition beer at cellar temperatures. Avoid adding oxygen during fermentation.

Wychwood Hobgoblin is good though, just avoid Bath Ales. :barf:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fluo posted:

I've only seen it in a keg/cask here, I didn't know it came in bottles. Depending upon how popular it is though, the lines can get really nasty and make it taste like rear end.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like the cut of your jib, Fluo.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SeaTard posted:

I've only seen it in a keg/cask here, I didn't know it came in bottles. Depending upon how popular it is though, the lines can get really nasty and make it taste like rear end.

it comes in cans, too!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I bought two beers and two radlers and they have a fun swing top so they make a very satisfying foomp sound when you open them.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

find some Westbrook, man, they make good beer

Will signal boost this recommendation.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I bought 32 of these and will be drinking them during the game

nice v nice

Fluo
May 25, 2007

When I wake up tomorrow I'll make sure to post the 3 beer matches before they start, just been abit of a busy day.

Colombia 2 - 1 Ivory Coast, so Águila is going through.

Uruguay 2 - 1 England. The dirty pilsen that is Patricia is going through.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I'm going to have to play catch up, and also going to try and get next couple of days sorted so It's always a couple of days ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpLerLKD2k
I hate myself for lol'ing at a keg in a field.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

I'm going to have to play catch up, and also going to try and get next couple of days sorted so It's always a couple of days ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpLerLKD2k
I hate myself for lol'ing at a keg in a field.

Fun stuff. I like the counterpart video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840waOfQ50o

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Fluo posted:

Hobgolin is easy (atleast in Chicago) to get hold of and is also nice.

The brewery I dislike very much is Bath Ales, they over stress their yeast and never ever fixed their yeast problem even when people complained or pointed it out. All their beers have that butterscotch / buttery / popcorn taste and I hate it. I know some people who like that taste but its just vomit.

I have friends who prefer skunky Heineken from the bottle, so yeah, people like what they like I guess

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Heineken is so light in flavour and body that makes it really easy to pound back. I guess that's the appeal? v:shobon:v

I prefer Grolsch but that's due to me growing up 30km from the brewery.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Grolsch is def the best of the big Amsterdam beers, not even close

Their blonde is pretty good too

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

I have friends who prefer skunky Heineken from the bottle, so yeah, people like what they like I guess

plenty of people acquired their taste for beer by drinking skunked poo poo from clear or green bottles, therefore that's what beer is supposed to taste like for them. i've literally witnessed a dude send back a draft Heineken because it didn't "taste right."

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 21, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NattyBo posted:

Grolsch is def the best of the big Amsterdam beers, not even close

Their blonde is pretty good too

It's not an Amsterdam beer. It used to be independent but has since been bought by SABMiller but it was never part of the Heineken portfolio.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

spankmeister posted:

It's not an Amsterdam beer. It used to be independent but has since been bought by SABMiller but it was never part of the Heineken portfolio.

Sorry, I should have said Dutch beers, I had forgotten it's not from Amsterdam like Heineken and Amstel. I stand by it being better than either of them though.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Hmm I cant wait to buy a beer later and put it in my mouth hmmmmm

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Internet has been down for the last 11hours and I'm going to be a busy little bee for till about 8pm tonight (GMT+1) so I will do todays beers then head out. Will catch up with yesterdays and do tomorrows tonight or tomorrow.

Iran vs Argentina

Fluo posted:

Iran
Don't do alcohol so I guess unless you want to lose your arms or head, have some non-alcoholic malty beer, or some malt float or something.

Argentina
Done the cheap and easy to get (well easiest to get) one, so craft beer card for this.

Antares Imperial Stout (Brewed by Antares and the style is Imperial Stout!?! Who'd have guessed) 8.5%.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
It is a very dark beer, with an intense torrado flavor. Used Maltas are horneadas until the dark that are similar the one of toasted burned, cacao or coffee. In the Antares Imperial Stout sweet tobacco aromas and raisins of grape with burned and alcoholic notes megre to produce intense bouquet.

Clear dark black brown colour with a large, frothy to creamy, good lacing, fully lasting, beige head. Aroma is moderate to heavy malty, roasted, caramel, smooth, sweet tobacco. Flavour is moderate to heavy sweet and moderate bitter with a average to long duration, sweet malt, roasted, chocolate, caramel, wood notes. Body is medium, texture is oily, carbonation is soft.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I love a large, frothy to creamy, good lacing, fully lasting, beige head.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

ephex posted:

Hmm I cant wait to buy a beer later and put it in my mouth hmmmmm

Fairly hosed up this

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Germany vs Ghana

Germany

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (Brewed by Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan) 5.4%
This beer is sold year round and is pretty easy to get.

The beer isn't just cheapish, it's high quality and pretty great.

Appearance: dark golden almost orange. good lacing , thick two finger head. Smell: Bananas , yeast, nutmeg, cloves, bread , lemons Taste: wheat , bread , bananas , cloves, awesome (I made half my batch of 100% smoked beer with this breweries yeast, didn't get so much cloves but alot more banana. It's all about fermenting temps!) Mouthfeel: Pretty good carbonation, finishes good, nice aftertaste.
probably the smoothest beer in this style.

Ghana
Not known for their beer...

Club Gold Export Lager

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Introduced on Ghana market in Feb 2010. ABL introduced a new drink known as Club Gold, to the market in pursuance of its promise to deliver quality beverages to the Ghanaian consumer. Club Gold had been carefully produced with the choicest ingredients and international credentials from around the world.

Pours a deep gold color with a soft white head. Aroma is much like an NA. Cardboard and stale paper. The taste is not much better at all. At least this beer is not offensive.
Note to self: When looking for a photo don't google "club gold ghana", you just get tons of slave labour type gold mines. :(

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I find this thread a bit snobby if im honest. Whats wrong with a nice cold fosters radler

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

not pleased with your choice of beer for todays matchup against Ghana there, you have to pick a black beer such as the awesome Eibauer

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
anybody got any thoughtrs on erdinger cristall beer

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Weihenstephaner makes me feel sick

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

Ive never had it, so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pissflaps posted:

Fairly poor kristallweizen, better off going with the Weihenstephaner Kristall for a same if not better price.

• Locked thread