Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

The consensus here is definitely that you should be doing track stands at all times and only people who can't ride touch the ground. Motogp racers drag a foot for like 20 yards in some cases when they start a race so it probably doesn't matter and you can do what you feel comfortable with. If it causes you to drop your bike you probably did something wrong.

I would argue that MotoGP folks don't have to worry about their feet catching on road debris as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I occasionally let my left foot drag, but that is only out of boredom. Probably a bad habit, but it keeps me entertained while I'm crawling behind a minivan.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
You should be able to be almost completely stopped and still have your feet on the pegs. If you can't do that, you're BAD AT BIKES.

Hell, the elite can even balance while stopped, apparently. Bike moving? Feet on pegs.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Backov posted:

You should be able to be almost completely stopped and still have your feet on the pegs. If you can't do that, you're BAD AT BIKES.

Hell, the elite can even balance while stopped, apparently. Bike moving? Feet on pegs.

You should let those motogp guys know they're bad at bikes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Super Slash posted:

Cheap helmets, or at least mine is suffering (even with the breath guard)
- Standard England weather; fogs up if you exhale through your mouth or too heavy from your nose, it's like a crazy game of holding your breath
- Standard England winter; the visor should never, ever be clicked shut

I think there are expensivish balaclavas that specifically force exhaled air down and away from the visor. I haven't seen one in a while and don't know where to look though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MoraleHazard posted:

I think there are expensivish balaclavas that specifically force exhaled air down and away from the visor. I haven't seen one in a while and don't know where to look though.

No balaclava required: http://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask

Bit of a faff but works well - I only abandoned mine once I got my Pinlock.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So, I've always thought it best to pick my feet up when taking off as soon as the bike is moving fast enough to have balance (effectively immediately) and to keep my feet on the pegs until the bike is stopped. I've seen too many idiots on scooters in my hometown who keep their feet hovering over the street, and on a few occasions I've seen people hit a pothole or something, catch their foot on the ground and drop it.

Lately, though, I've been noticing a lot of dudes on bikes - fast bikes, big bikes, nice bikes - hovering over the ground or kind of toe dragging for quite some time before picking their feet up.

Am I missing something? What's "general accepted procedure" here?

The only time I don't immediately bring my feet up onto the pegs when moving from a stop is when it's stop-n-go traffic and I may have to put them back down in another 20 feet. Once it becomes clear that I won't need to immediately stop again, I bring them up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
MotoGP guys drag a foot behind them because it helps balance when you're trying to get your weight forward as you launch off the line.

For normal riding, dragging your feet is just asking them to hit something, so it helps to lift them as soon as possible.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M. Night Skymall posted:

The consensus here is definitely that you should be doing track stands at all times and only people who can't ride touch the ground. Motogp racers drag a foot for like 20 yards in some cases when they start a race so it probably doesn't matter and you can do what you feel comfortable with. If it causes you to drop your bike you probably did something wrong.

Hahah yep, everything professional racers do it just as applicable on the street. This is why I religiously use have tirewarmers before riding, removed my starter and mirrors, and make sure to dangle my inside leg on every turn. I put a calculated minimum amount of fuel before every trip, am about as tall as a beagle and tear off a tear-off every 15 minutes.

M. Night Skymall posted:

You should let those motogp guys know they're bad at bikes.

MY MOTOGP OVERLORDS

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

KARMA! posted:

Hahah yep, everything professional racers do it just as applicable on the street. This is why I religiously use have tirewarmers before riding, removed my starter and mirrors, and make sure to dangle my inside leg on every turn. I put a calculated minimum amount of fuel before every trip, am about as tall as a beagle and tear off a tear-off every 15 minutes.

MY MOTOGP OVERLORDS

Haha, good point we should definitely do track stands at lights because that's a valid way to ride a bike on the street.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Last time I went out to run an errand on my bike, my crew got stuck in traffic on the way to the bank, and I lost almost 8 seconds! I'm going to fire Enzo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It feels weird to me to have the bike moving without my feet on the pegs. Even if I'm just riding forwards ten feet to close a gap in traffic, I don't like the sensation of riding forwards with my feet unsupported. So I tend to put them up immediately all the time. This results in a game in stop-and-go traffic where I see how long I can go without taking my feet off the pegs, so I've gotten pretty good at balancing the bike while moving forwards at less than a walking pace.

However, I will sometimes stretch my legs out and swing them around while travelling slowly forwards, but in that case I'm deliberately sticking them out to the side or doing jumping jack motions or wiggling my ankles or leaning back with my feet up like I'm in a La-Z-Boy or something.

Certainly I don't actually drag my feet on the ground at a stoplight. I did that exactly once when I was learning to ride and my toe immediately caught on a divot in the asphalt and twisted my foot underneath and I don't care to do that again.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

KARMA! posted:

MY MOTOGP OVERLORDS

Dainese Space Overlords

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It feels weird to me to have the bike moving without my feet on the pegs. Even if I'm just riding forwards ten feet to close a gap in traffic, I don't like the sensation of riding forwards with my feet unsupported. So I tend to put them up immediately all the time. This results in a game in stop-and-go traffic where I see how long I can go without taking my feet off the pegs, so I've gotten pretty good at balancing the bike while moving forwards at less than a walking pace.

However, I will sometimes stretch my legs out and swing them around while travelling slowly forwards, but in that case I'm deliberately sticking them out to the side or doing jumping jack motions or wiggling my ankles or leaning back with my feet up like I'm in a La-Z-Boy or something.

Certainly I don't actually drag my feet on the ground at a stoplight. I did that exactly once when I was learning to ride and my toe immediately caught on a divot in the asphalt and twisted my foot underneath and I don't care to do that again.

To be fair I can't actually drag a foot anywhere unless I slide my rear end half-way off the seat, so I'm not in danger of catching a foot on much of anything, but I just lift my foot off the ground and go forward a few feet and put it down. I find the idea of creeping forward at a walking pace in traffic that's otherwise at a stop in order to avoid putting a foot down weird, I guess it depends on the situation but it feels like if I allow a large enough gap between me and the car in front of me in order to continue moving long enough for the light to change or whatever I'm just asking a car in a different lane to not notice I'm in there and change lanes into me or hit me from behind as they change into an "empty lane" approaching a light. I try to get as close as I can to the car in front of me and to the side a bit and then stop, so that people will react to the car even if they don't react to me.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
When I'm taking off from a light where the speed is low (car in front of me + traffic, usually), I do a thing with my feet where I make it look like I'm taking HUGE, AWESOME LEAPS. It pleases me to no end.

Otherwise, I maybe keep my left foot up and right foot down for a second or two as I start up, but I definitely don't float my feet for more than a yard or two.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Lynza posted:

When I'm taking off from a light where the speed is low (car in front of me + traffic, usually), I do a thing with my feet where I make it look like I'm taking HUGE, AWESOME LEAPS. It pleases me to no end.

Otherwise, I maybe keep my left foot up and right foot down for a second or two as I start up, but I definitely don't float my feet for more than a yard or two.

Power walking!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Lynza posted:

lol, I do this too.

I'll let my feet hang out if I'm feeling lazy or in a funny mood, otherwise they don't go off the pegs unless I'm stretching them/completely stopped. I've gotten to the point where I can keep my feet on the pegs at slower than walking speed and even stopped for a few seconds. I'm going to screw that last one up one day and just promptly fall over and confirm some random bystanders worst fears about Motorbikes, but oh well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
When I pass cyclists I take both feet off the pegs and pretend to pedal as fast as I can. :shobon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait do people here still somehow feel more balanced with their feet dragging on the ground? I feel like the only thing I'm resting on is my crotch if my feet aren't on the pegs. How do you steer the bike when your arms are being forced to hold your weight up? I'm not saying everyone should be some sort of balance genius but...how? How do you stop your balls being rammed into the tank? Your arms? The whole thing seems really sloppy, I dunno.

I find I associate foot-dragging with poo poo riding, because normally the foot draggers I see proceed to wobble off down the road and generally seem to ride like poo poo. I don't know if there's causation for that correlation or not, though.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Ya, it communicates to me that they're afraid that at any moment the bike is going to fall over and if their feet are there ready they will save it. poo poo riders.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Mmm, I don't think I completely agree with that. If I'm only going forward a car length from a stop to another complete stop I'm probably just going to leave me left leg down, hovering, but ready to go back on the ground. This is out of laziness rather than any worry whatsoever that the bike is going to fall over. I see plenty of other riders doing the same. That said, unless I for whatever reason feel like letting my leg float, the second I start moving both are on the pegs.

Sometimes it's just nice to let your legs dangle, I do it on the highway sometimes.

That said, I've also seen poo poo riders with their legs dangling, but more like hovering at the ready to save themselves. You can generally tell the difference between someone who is playing around (like I do) and someone who is worried about dropping it - one is riding normally and confidentaly except for the fact their legs are dangling around, the other is riding nervously.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Shimrod posted:

Mmm, I don't think I completely agree with that. If I'm only going forward a car length from a stop to another complete stop I'm probably just going to leave me left leg down, hovering, but ready to go back on the ground. This is out of laziness rather than any worry whatsoever that the bike is going to fall over. I see plenty of other riders doing the same. That said, unless I for whatever reason feel like letting my leg float, the second I start moving both are on the pegs.

Sometimes it's just nice to let your legs dangle, I do it on the highway sometimes.

Same. I'll actually drag my heels on the pavement at highway speeds if I'm really bored.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Seems as though foot dragging is completely intractable, so why don't we talk about something we can all agree on?

I went to fill up my bike the other day, and thought I'd try the CA-approved™ method of filling up while sitting on the bike.

Besides feeling lazy, weird, and potentially dangerous (were I to accidentally lean over far enough that gas could slosh out of the open tank), what killed the supposedly magical experience for me were the fumes. Good god how can you people stand to be that close to the filling nozzle?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Besides feeling lazy, weird, and potentially dangerous (were I to accidentally lean over far enough that gas could slosh out of the open tank), what killed the supposedly magical experience for me were the fumes. Good god how can you people stand to be that close to the filling nozzle?

I've always enjoyed the smell of gasoline, even when I was little. Brain dermage is ovverrated I nevr huffed alwayz been safe since my momma prays lots.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OSU_Matthew posted:

Because gas fumes are awesome :buddy:

Ethanol-free gas is best, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seems as though foot dragging is completely intractable, so why don't we talk about something we can all agree on?

I went to fill up my bike the other day, and thought I'd try the CA-approved™ method of filling up while sitting on the bike.

I put my side stand down for this job so I don't actually balance anything. I've never had the sensation of danger, CA is weird with fear.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving cell phone talking red light running cagers. Get out of my neighbourhood. :mad:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chris Knight posted:

loving cell phone talking red light running cagers. Get out of my neighbourhood. :mad:

I was going through a green light today in my Honda Civic and I nearly t-boned a guy on his phone who just made a right turn right in front of me. I was going 45 mph (in a posted 45), so he probably wouldn't have been walking away from that accident if I had plowed into him.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've had 2 cyclists pass me on the right (kerb side) at an intersection, like RIGHT when I was about to make a right turn. I would have turned right into them if the timing had been bad, and if I managed to stay upright, I would have kept on riding because gently caress those guys.

"gently caress those guys, your honor."

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I live on one side of a college town campus so I feel your pain. Cars don't bother me but holy poo poo gently caress bicyclists so hard.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Traffic law should take a hit from boating and make it so smaller, more maneuverable vehicles give way to the big, slow ones.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

Traffic law should take a hit from boating and make it so smaller, more maneuverable vehicles give way to the big, slow ones.

That sounds like a terrible idea. I give it ten seconds before some soccer mom uses that as justification for why she ran down 5 cyclists while talking on the phone in her Toyota Sequoia.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wait. I dunno if that maritime stuff would work. Because bicycles are the slow ones. But they are small. And the Toyota Sequoia is big, but fast relative to the bicycle.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

Few years back I was surprised on the highway by a stopped car partially in the right lane, right at the end of an S curve on an otherwise straight road. Traffic speed is generally 10-20km above the 80km limit in that area, some km after a light so there is an intermittent traffic flow. Pulled off quickly since it was a shock to swerve around a dead stopped car with no indicator (as in the story) and saw a lady near the front bumper trying to sneak into the traffic flow to herd ducklings out of the road.

There was one squooshed already in the road and, basically as soon as my coworker and I started getting out of the car to tell her this was a bad idea, all of the rest of the ducklings went pop pop pop as a bunch of cars raced by. Because they still had their baby down it left a cartoonish smatter of yellow fuzzy dots in the two lanes. Her shoulders dropped and she looked over with a fairly despondent face. Meanwhile speeding cars continued to panic brake behind her vehicle and into the other lane.

Lady, I love your heart but the amount of near miss accidents in those 20 seconds was pretty near criminal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That's not how the maritime rules of the road work in the first place. The relevant rule is that ships under power are supposed to yield to ships of limited maneuverability (generally sailboats.) The car equivalent would be cars pulling over to let oncoming bike traffic by.

In practice it rarely works that way but that's not the point.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Okay now let's work the no wake rule into a road traffic equivalent.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
It might work like rear end laws where people would much more on the lookout for smaller vehicles just in case they would get nailed for striking them (Even if they swerve, etc.) Make displacement dependent, if you hit a 400cc bike with a 4 litre SUV you're 90% responsible, bicycle you'd be infinity responsible. And then hit a Bandit 1200 with your 90's fiesta and make out like a bandit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

I've had 2 cyclists pass me on the right (kerb side) at an intersection, like RIGHT when I was about to make a right turn. I would have turned right into them if the timing had been bad, and if I managed to stay upright, I would have kept on riding because gently caress those guys.

"gently caress those guys, your honor."

Three things (which may or may not be criticisms of your riding because I can see scenarios where these might not have helped)

- Unless those cyclists were in a professional time trial you almost certainly overtook them pretty soon before the junction - depending on the relative speeds you should either have hung back behind them or been much more aware of them.
- When turning at an intersection you should be positioned such that it's nigh impossible for anyone to get up the inside of you. Not actually in the gutter but less than a shoulders-width from the edge of the road
- Lifesaver! Because even if you do those first two things right the cyclists could be utter, utter idiots who've just jumped out of a side street (or indeed are bombing along with pavement). Being in the right won't fix the damage to you or your bike.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Three things (which may or may not be criticisms of your riding because I can see scenarios where these might not have helped)

- Unless those cyclists were in a professional time trial you almost certainly overtook them pretty soon before the junction - depending on the relative speeds you should either have hung back behind them or been much more aware of them.
- When turning at an intersection you should be positioned such that it's nigh impossible for anyone to get up the inside of you. Not actually in the gutter but less than a shoulders-width from the edge of the road
- Lifesaver! Because even if you do those first two things right the cyclists could be utter, utter idiots who've just jumped out of a side street (or indeed are bombing along with pavement). Being in the right won't fix the damage to you or your bike.

So you're one of those jerks that think "if i fit by, it's a turning lane!" then, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

So you're one of those jerks that think "if i fit by, it's a turning lane!" then, huh?

I thought that's how everybody rode a motor/bicycle? Even in my car, if there's enough room it's a right turn lane.