Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's nothing but value.
I want to make workshop online but wastleland is more than half the cost of the deck.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the best thing to do is just buy into power right now. They'll reprint waste eventually. (On mtgo.)

I bought everything that isn't being printed in VMA for oath, do not regret it. I'll also probably buy full sets of the blue duals if they go low enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I want to play this again! Card protectors are annoying and most people that play MtG are gross. Any reason NOT to get back into this with MtG:Online? No dwindling population issues or reasons why it would be less fun?

If you're the casual/fun sort, stay the gently caress away from MTGO, unless you enjoy being told what your sexual orientations is and what you did with your uncle last night.

Go to your LGS and do an FNM draft. Arrive an hour early and hang out. If the people there are fun and chill, make that your hangout; if they have cheeseburgers down their corduroys, find another place.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Was just watching the end of Day 1 of last week's GP Moscow on Twitch, and it was pretty amusing. Lee Shi Tian was playing someone and it went to time, and he was discussing with his opponent on stream about whether or not one of them should concede, since a draw meant neither would make Day 2. Suddenly you see the judge sitting next to them stand up and start talking and Lee Shi Tian is like waving his hands and shaking his head animatedly, and making some sort of like "nothing happened" gesture to the judge, while the other player sits there looking confused.

Turns out the other player offered to roll a die to determine who won, which is probably not the best idea to do on the featured stream, with a judge sitting right next to you. Props to Lee for at least trying to cover for the guy.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Gynovore posted:

If you're the casual/fun sort, stay the gently caress away from MTGO, unless you enjoy being told what your sexual orientations is and what you did with your uncle last night.

Don't take this to heart, 90% of my MTGO games end with either no social interaction or at worst, a "gg". Maybe half of that last 10% is a sperglord either mad that they lost or telling you that your deck is jank.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Or play something that you know will make people mad, like the updated maze's end i was playing. Though one guy actually said something nice about it yesterday. 95% of games on modo end with no social interaction regardless of deck choice.

Best advice is check out your local shop before totally dismissing paper cards. There's a couple grognards at my shop but they're tolerable and I've made some friends with decent normal people there.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Don't take this to heart, 90% of my MTGO games end with either no social interaction or at worst, a "gg". Maybe half of that last 10% is a sperglord either mad that they lost or telling you that your deck is jank.

That kind of reinforces my point.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

qbert posted:

Was just watching the end of Day 1 of last week's GP Moscow on Twitch, and it was pretty amusing. Lee Shi Tian was playing someone and it went to time, and he was discussing with his opponent on stream about whether or not one of them should concede, since a draw meant neither would make Day 2. Suddenly you see the judge sitting next to them stand up and start talking and Lee Shi Tian is like waving his hands and shaking his head animatedly, and making some sort of like "nothing happened" gesture to the judge, while the other player sits there looking confused.

Turns out the other player offered to roll a die to determine who won, which is probably not the best idea to do on the featured stream, with a judge sitting right next to you. Props to Lee for at least trying to cover for the guy.
Frank Karsten has some more information about that DQ and another really weird one in his CFB article this week:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-moscow-dqs-and-standard/

Does anyone know when the coverage for GP Chicago starts today? I can't find anything on this god drat new website design.

EDIT: Found the old version of their web page hidden in an old link, looks like it starts at 2 PM ET.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 21, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
2023 players here in Chicago today.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Gynovore posted:

Your UN and avatar make this pretty ironic and quite hilarious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Nastier Nate posted:

The only time I've ever had a negative interaction is when someone told me I was playing too slow, and I probably was.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Or play something that you know will make people mad, like the updated maze's end i was playing. Though one guy actually said something nice about it yesterday. 95% of games on modo end with no social interaction regardless of deck choice.

Best advice is check out your local shop before totally dismissing paper cards. There's a couple grognards at my shop but they're tolerable and I've made some friends with decent normal people there.

There are grognards in any social event but yes do this.

Especially the part where you play Maze's End. It puts control players on a clock they can't counter spell or Rev away from. It's 10 turns and you lose, buddy.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Count Bleck posted:

There are grognards in any social event but yes do this.
To reinforce this point, there are grognards in football, both american and worldwide. Don't let a few annoying people block off all the cool ones, especially since, at least in my experience, the annoying ones usually learn to moderate it if you just tell them politely not to do whatever they do that's annoying. I met some of my best friends at this really grognardy place that has just been getting cleaner and more polite as time has gone by.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's a more current Maze's end list look like? I've got an older build of one but I haven't updated it in months

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nothing like thinking you've drafted a pretty good deck and then going 0-3 because every single opponent has Lightning Rift, and gets it out every game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Are all the bots on MODO out of Dread Return? I just need 3 more for the Vintage Dredge list. Also I found someone selling Undiscovered Paradise's but it was 300 tix for 4.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I know we aren't talking much about m15 spoilers, but what does everyone think about chasm skulker? I feel like with him, a lot of draw card abilities like bident and dictate, master of waves and purphoros, they could be a notMURDERSQUIDS deck on the horizon?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

neetengie posted:

Are all the bots on MODO out of Dread Return? I just need 3 more for the Vintage Dredge list. Also I found someone selling Undiscovered Paradise's but it was 300 tix for 4.

MTGOTraders seems to have a ton of Dread Return. And wow, Undiscovered Paradise really shot up quickly. 300 tix seems really excessive though.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

neetengie posted:

http://www.mtgotraders.com/store/search-results.html?q=dread+return&x=0&y=0

e;fb

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

netcat posted:

MTGOTraders seems to have a ton of Dread Return. And wow, Undiscovered Paradise really shot up quickly. 300 tix seems really excessive though.

:psyduck:

That's a $7-8 card in paper. I guess this is one of those random-rear end modo cards that decides to buck the trend of cheaper online completely.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Minority Deport posted:

That's a $7-8 card in paper. I guess this is one of those random-rear end modo cards that decides to buck the trend of cheaper online completely.

Vintage just became a format online, it is a key component of the cheapest vintage deck and there aren't very many of them online relative to the insane # of people looking to play some vintage dredge.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

The March Hare posted:

Vintage just became a format online, it is a key component of the cheapest vintage deck and there aren't very many of them online relative to the insane # of people looking to play some vintage dredge.
I replaced it with Petrified Field, would the deck still be good? I was too late on buying the Paradise's though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

neetengie posted:

It's only 28 tickets everywhere else.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

neetengie posted:

I replaced it with Petrified Field, would the deck still be good? I was too late on buying the Paradise's though.

I've never played the deck but it seems like having 100% consistent bloodghast recursion is probably reasonably important, which is also probably why they are now $30.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

It's only 28 tickets everywhere else.
I can't find them at other botchains.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

neetengie posted:

I can't find them at other botchains.

I just checked Hotbot (which is just one of the Card Hoarder bots) and it had 4 of them. I like that bot chain because its rarely as busy as the bigger chains and seems to have very similar prices both buying and selling.

The March Hare posted:

I've never played the deck but it seems like having 100% consistent bloodghast recursion is probably reasonably important, which is also probably why they are now $30.

They are very good, but I tend to side one or two out in Games 2 and 3 because you're frequently locked out of your graveyard due to hate and I'd rather just have a Moxen to fire off your anti-hate.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 21, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I just checked Hotbot (which is just one of the Card Hoarder bots) and it had 4 of them. I like that bot chain because its rarely as busy as the bigger chains and seems to have very similar prices both buying and selling.

They are very good, but I tend to side one or two out in Games 2 and 3 because you're frequently locked out of your graveyard due to hate and I'd rather just have a Moxen to fire off your anti-hate.
:doh: Thanks for recommending that bot, I missed that one. Thanks man.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Minority Deport posted:

Paper Forcefield is > $100 but on MODO you can get 1 for the low, low price of just 1 tix (last I saw).

MODO prices vs Paper prices is an insane thing to look at sometimes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Paper Forcefield is > $100 but on MODO you can get 1 for the low, low price of just 1 tix (last I saw).

MODO prices vs Paper prices is an insane thing to look at sometimes.

Juzam Djinn is 40 cents on MODO, too.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

It's a trap to try to compare paper and MODO singles prices, they're two completely separate economies with different supply and demand numbers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boco_T posted:

Frank Karsten has some more information about that DQ and another really weird one in his CFB article this week:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-moscow-dqs-and-standard/

Does anyone know when the coverage for GP Chicago starts today? I can't find anything on this god drat new website design.

EDIT: Found the old version of their web page hidden in an old link, looks like it starts at 2 PM ET.

I would not expect games to start to till after 3pm cst. I don't remember how long round 1 went over but the last two were both 25+ minutes long.

1-1-1 and yes I was part of the problem.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What's the deal with tiebreakers at GPChicago? I saw some tweets about it, but there wasn't exactly any details.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Shovelmint posted:

What's the deal with tiebreakers at GPChicago? I saw some tweets about it, but there wasn't exactly any details.

when there's a large enough set of players, the tourney is split into two groups for day 1 (paired only within that group), Day two, when they're combined back into 1, the tournament software doesn't know what your tiebreakers were from day 1.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Haven't split GPs been a thing for at least a year now? How long does it take them to fix the software?

(insert MTGO joke here)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

JerryLee posted:

Haven't split GPs been a thing for at least a year now? How long does it take them to fix the software?

(insert MTGO joke here)

Dci reporter makes modo look like a robust and modern piece of software

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Apparently there is one bathroom available at the GP. Good job.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Hey, the guy that beat Osyp on stream a little while ago with W/U Aggro is a buddy of mine. I didn't even realize it was him until the match was over. Cool.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

(insert MTGO joke here)

I'm pretty sure split GPs have been a thing for literally half a decade now, at least in Europe.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

1 in the actual hall were the gp is there is another downstairs in the lobby. Lobby shitter is cleaner and has less of a line, but there 6 stalls between the two.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Went 3-3 with jund before dropping at the Ottawa ptq today. For the first 100 registers they were selling packs of modern masters for 10 bux. I bought ten and a friend picked up three so we could do a four man draft. I opened my tenth pack because we didn't need it to draft and it had a cryptic command and a foil sword of fire and ice. I'm calling today a win over all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

rabidsquid posted:

That's insane. Usually events such as this are bound by the maximum occupancy rating of the building, and there are generally supposed to be sufficient bathrooms to support that number of people. Of course, you can cut that number by quite a bit since there's the assumption of 50/50 male-female and most GPs are at least 95% male, but even then should still be a decent amount of capacity. With smaller events like PTQs they can get away with stretching maximum occupancy since they are unlikely to be caught, but there's no way a GP organizer would risk an event this big being shut down by the police or fire department for being over capacity.

• Locked thread