Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I found one of the fixer missions a pain in the rear end. the one where you steal a car and have to run from an infinite amount of The Club gang members. In the end I found a trick that if you get on one of the bridges that lifts up flat the gang members can't see you. I haven't tried it with cops yet but I bet it works for them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

That is how hacking works, stop questioning it.

Or it might actually show that Aiden only lives in his own little world, maybe trapped in an asylum and he only imagines all this bullshit.

Would certainly explain a few things.

The terrible, terrible artifacting on the oh-so-tragic-niece-death-scene that they don't use in any other scene in the game, for example.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Megazver posted:

The terrible, terrible artifacting on the oh-so-tragic-niece-death-scene that they don't use in any other scene in the game, for example.

Oh god don't even remind of that poo poo. That was loving stupid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh god don't even remind of that poo poo. That was loving stupid.

New thread title.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

New thread title.

I think it is a bit long.

But seriously. I had unironically and literally troubles even realizing what is going in. The first thing I though that it looked like one of those creepy gifs, but only after actually processing that this was the effect they are going for.

Hey, Aiden, memories do not work that way.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My favourite moment of hubris was when, after killing Iraq, who had gathered blackmail on every major figure in the city, and locked down an entire neighbourhood, trapping dozens of young black men (who you also kill) into a life of crime, Aiden is all "Iraq was after something bigger than that... the video from the Merlaut job". No sense of irony when 10 minutes later, his reaction to learning that the mayor's election was rigged is just "eh, whatever, a corrupt Chicago mayor". Also it's painful to listen to T-Bone wax poetically in Keanu Reeves fashion about that totally dangerous code he saw man, he doesn't even know what it is, but it's some scary poo poo.

Also, once you get away with Nicky for the last time, she has the same dumb wistful smile on her face as she has for every cutscene in the game. I'm sure that if Aiden had drowned a bag of kittens in front of her she would have given a wistful smile and told some dumb story about fishing with kittens with their father.

And seriously where the gently caress is Jackson's dad. All I found by googling is some review that claims he was also killed in a hit, but I don't remember ever hearing about that. The complete omission of references to him really makes me think that they intended for Aiden to be the father but then changed it just to make him even creepier and more unlikeable.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 21, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Maybe Aidan is actually a secret robot that went rogue from Blume?
Would explain the lack of emotion too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just tried Encryption for the first time and it was pretty terrible. Mostly because the file got to 99% and the game turned into about 5 minutes of every single time Blackout or Jam Coms ran out someone would instantly turn it back on.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Michaellaneous posted:

That is how hacking works, stop questioning it.

Or it might actually show that Aiden only lives in his own little world, maybe trapped in an asylum and he only imagines all this bullshit.

Would certainly explain a few things.

Maybe you have really weird ideas and project them onto unrelated stories because _____ ????

So:
Maybe Watch Dogs is like inception, it's really deep and complex.

Or maybe it's a lame story written by several teams that didn't coordinate together well and the end result is an incoherent mess without a clear tone.

I find that second one more plausible but whatever kind of goofy stuff you want to imagine to get through the game more power to you.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So you guys remember the lights flickering problem I had a while back? It's getting worse. Now portions of the far background switch between having the right textures and going all rainbow colored. And when they go that, I get large swaths of screen that are also multicolored flares, but they move like lighting bloom with respect to the glitchy backgrounds. Anyone hear of this happening and know how to solve it?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pretty sure you're not affected by the hacking if you turn your profiler off, ie. get your face out of your phone and just look around.

Also yeah, the creepy effect on the title screen and the memory scenes is what you get when you remove keyframes from videos, I thought it was a neat effect and a smart update to the old "snowy analogue static = fuzzy memory" trope that hasn't made sense in years.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 21, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

eXXon posted:

My favourite moment of hubris was when, after killing Iraq, who had gathered blackmail on every major figure in the city, and locked down an entire neighbourhood, trapping dozens of young black men (who you also kill) into a life of crime, Aiden is all "Iraq was after something bigger than that... the video from the Merlaut job". No sense of irony when 10 minutes later, his reaction to learning that the mayor's election was rigged is just "eh, whatever, a corrupt Chicago mayor". Also it's painful to listen to T-Bone wax poetically in Keanu Reeves fashion about that totally dangerous code he saw man, he doesn't even know what it is, but it's some scary poo poo.

Also, once you get away with Nicky for the last time, she has the same dumb wistful smile on her face as she has for every cutscene in the game. I'm sure that if Aiden had drowned a bag of kittens in front of her she would have given a wistful smile and told some dumb story about fishing with kittens with their father.

And seriously where the gently caress is Jackson's dad. All I found by googling is some review that claims he was also killed in a hit, but I don't remember ever hearing about that. The complete omission of references to him really makes me think that they intended for Aiden to be the father but then changed it just to make him even creepier and more unlikeable.

Is a single mom that weird? Like, my dad died when I was one. I literally cannot remember my mom mentioning him or it ever coming up. The game commits a lot of sins and has weir storytelling quirks. Thats not one.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahah so you spend all of Act II in an elaborate, 10 mission twist to enter Cabrini-Green without getting spotted by Iraq and by Act IV you're just like, gently caress it, I'm assaulting it

This game is loving hilarious.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Hahahah so you spend all of Act II in an elaborate, 10 mission twist to enter Cabrini-Green without getting spotted by Iraq and by Act IV you're just like, gently caress it, I'm assaulting it

This game is loving hilarious.

You have to admit, though: It's completely in character for Aiden.

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

I just tried Encryption for the first time and it was pretty terrible. Mostly because the file got to 99% and the game turned into about 5 minutes of every single time Blackout or Jam Coms ran out someone would instantly turn it back on.

That's how several rounds I've played started.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Wasn't there supposed to be DLC for this? Any idea when it is coming out?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Rakthar posted:

Maybe you have really weird ideas and project them onto unrelated stories because _____ ????

So:
Maybe Watch Dogs is like inception, it's really deep and complex.

Or maybe it's a lame story written by several teams that didn't coordinate together well and the end result is an incoherent mess without a clear tone.

I find that second one more plausible but whatever kind of goofy stuff you want to imagine to get through the game more power to you.

It was a joke. Pretty sure you guys actually agree with each other.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lollerich posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be DLC for this? Any idea when it is coming out?

There's a season pass, and that means that they've planned out the DLC release schedule months in advance. So don't hold your breath.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

You know, for unintentional comedy the character they've created and the world they've created are at odds in ways that make some of the funniest moments I've encountered in years. Immediately before the last mission in Act 4 and family confrontation I was doing donuts around an invader who I'd profiled who didn't seem to know what to do, crashing into parked cars and a few passerby before chasing him over a steam pipe and blowing it (and him) all over the avenue.

:stare: Aiden? Are you really the vigilante? Did you really do all those things I read about? :downs: It's complicated! :stare: Jax idolizes you... and you're a horrifying travesty of a human being :downs: ME AM BIZZARO! ME... AM HERO!

:Edit:

Oh poo poo Act 4 aint over :stare:

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 22, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
How to salvage Watch Dogs for the sequal.

Aiden Pierce, wracked with grief from being a murderous hypocrite fuckwit disappears up a goddamn mountain for six years, in these six years CTOS does a massive government sponsored rollout all over the loving place and becomes more tightly interwoven with cities (meaning in a practical sense; tons more cool poo poo, stuff like automated delivery trucks that can be conveniently hack'd.)

Six years later Aiden Pierce comes down off a god drat mountain and has in that time A) grown a massive beard and B) become Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan, in fact the whole world has become Transmetropolitan, in fact, just loving make a Transmetropolitan game you loving fuckers.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 22, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Aiden Pierce, wracked with grief from being a murderous hypocrite fuckwit disappears up a goddamn mountain for six years, in these six years CTOS does a massive government sponsored rollout all over the loving place and becomes more tightly interwoven with cities (meaning in a practical sense; tons more cool poo poo, stuff like automated delivery trucks that can be conveniently hack'd.)

Six years later Aiden Pierce comes down off a god drat mountain and has in that time A) grown a massive beard and B) become Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan, in fact the whole world has become Transmetropolitan, in fact, just loving make a Transmetropolitan game you loving fuckers.

like skyrim with phones - ign

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Motherfucker posted:

Where can I pre-order?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man, Human Trafficking is the biggest filler I've experienced in an open world game so far. Cross the map 20 times, once to each target and once to each briefcase! If anyone actually did this without fast travelling to safehouses and taking the shortest possible distance, kudos.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

I, Butthole posted:

Man, Human Trafficking is the biggest filler I've experienced in an open world game so far. Cross the map 20 times, once to each target and once to each briefcase! If anyone actually did this without fast travelling to safehouses and taking the shortest possible distance, kudos.

I had already unlocked that motorcycle from cleaning out a poker table and that car from five online races. And since driving is the high point of the game I said gently caress it and did it without fast travel.

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.
I really don't get the urge to deeply analyze games like this. There is a lack of variety in mission content, but are people really not having fun with it? I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and I dont even care for online.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Re: The games story:

I could have sworn one of the early preview videos (one where they first showed the crime detection system) had a developer saying the plot was something simpler/lighter like your dude finds a 'magic cellphone' an then becomes obsessed with surveilling the city and being a vigilante. Trying to find the vid but there's a million other preview vids + reposts of preview vids, so I'm not sure if I'm making this up in my barely functional brain. Anyone remember something like that?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I'm so glad to see the thread is mostly disappointed with this game too. I am halfway through Act 3 and I've tried so hard with this game, but I guess I'm just burnt out on open world type games.

Why is everything always open from the start? It used to be frustrating in old GTAs to be stuck on one island for a while, but now I see why they do it, because otherwise you just run around doing other stuff and ignore the story (which is really silly considering the urgency of this one). It just gives you too much choice all the time, but once you've seen one of each mini game/activity, you're bored.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I got this game for free with a graphics card and so far I have spent my playtime murdering civilians in order to get the cops to chase and turn the city into one large destruction derby. This continues until the cops kill me or another player invades my poo poo. The story so far is garbage and I doubt I will finish it, but the game is fun to get on for an hour and cause mayhem.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Finished this the other day, echoing a lot of dumb story stuff, but my favourites were

-'poo poo, my extremely elaborate hacking plan to get Iraq's data (that takes half the game to do) failed! Guess it's gun time'
-Clara going off and getting killed for some reason, maybe so they could wrap up the story with all the female characters either kidnapped or dead'
-The news giving Aiden the nickname 'The Fox' about 30 hours into the game for some reason
-The news knowing that Aiden is the vigilante, but then forgetting about it random points, not that anyone on the story watches the news or cares
-Jordi providing Sniper cover for you near the end, but then he sorta disappears, then betrays you for about 5 seconds, then becomes best friends again
-I'm willing to murder cops, random thugs and civilians, but this ONE GUY in prison must live!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Greyish Orange posted:

Why is everything always open from the start? It used to be frustrating in old GTAs to be stuck on one island for a while, but now I see why they do it, because otherwise you just run around doing other stuff and ignore the story (which is really silly considering the urgency of this one). It just gives you too much choice all the time, but once you've seen one of each mini game/activity, you're bored.

I hope people take more and more notice of this, because yeah, while it's frustrating or whatever to have to earn content as you play, the other option is having everything open from the start, giving you way too much to do and yet at the same time showing you everything there is to offer way too quickly. Give a man sticky bombs at the start of the game, and it doesn't get as exciting when down the line you're suddenly offered the option of sticky bombs.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
The stickbomb intro really felt like that was when they originally introduced them, but then they added them much earlier in the game to make it more exciting at the start

Same with guns, you are given a pistol at the very start, but before you really have a chance to use it, you are prompted to go out and buy an assault rifle, and can imminently grab a grenade launcher

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

P-niiice posted:

I really don't get the urge to deeply analyze games like this. There is a lack of variety in mission content, but are people really not having fun with it? I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and I dont even care for online.

This is pretty much my feeling as well.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm at 98% completion. I only have those stupid drinking missions left and the only achievement I'm missing is the "get tailed 5 times". How is that a loving achievement. It should be an achievement for losing 5 tails when you don't even know about it. loving stupid game I probably just have to leave it on and connected to the internet to get that tail achievement.

Some thoughts.

gently caress the QR codes
gently caress the CTOS Hack boxes
gently caress the drinking missions (why is there a cool down? Piss off let me do it all in one shot)
The story was so so. Not unfun but not the best on the planet.

Overall it's a pretty fun game but it's going straight to resale after I get platinum. No long lasting online play and I can't see DLC making it any better for longevity.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

quote:

gently caress the QR codes
gently caress the CTOS Hack boxes

I though both of those were really fun. The premise of giant billboard size secret codes is dumb but figuring them out was fun.

quote:

gently caress the drinking missions (why is there a cool down? Piss off let me do it all in one shot)
The drinking missions are the worst minigame I have ever ever ever encountered.

quote:

The story was so so. Not unfun but not the best on the planet.
I can't even call the story so so.

quote:

Overall it's a pretty fun game but it's going straight to resale after I get platinum. No long lasting online play and I can't see DLC making it any better for longevity.
Agree, but I'll wait for the DLC with fingers crossed.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If by "CTOS Hack boxes" you mean the Breach missions where you hunt for 4 random routers in awkward places on a time limit, I agree, gently caress those. The towers and bases were cool though, I wish there were more.

Edit: maybe I'm just a pessimist but when I saw T-Bone's robot monster labyrinth I got this horrible sinking feeling that his DLC is just going to be some garbage tower defense thing.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 22, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I did mean the ones with 4 random routers. Stupid game filling garbage. The towers and bases were fine.

The QR codes I had a bigger problem with the stupid dedsec garbage. WE ARE DEDSEC WE WILL NOT FORGIVE WE WILL NOT FORGET LULZ GIGGLEMASTER

barf.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

I'm at 98% completion. I only have those stupid drinking missions left and the only achievement I'm missing is the "get tailed 5 times". How is that a loving achievement. It should be an achievement for losing 5 tails when you don't even know about it. loving stupid game I probably just have to leave it on and connected to the internet to get that tail achievement.

How on earth did you get to 98% completion but not get tailed 5 times? :psyduck: How much playtime have you got?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Motherfucker posted:

Press X to demand pedestrians show you their loving thumbs, hold X to shoot them with your bowel disruptor.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Act 4

The final Defalt mission is great, if only for the profiler being hacked as one of the edited profiles just being aiden with the extra details being 'Killed his niece' and 'Boo loving hoo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It looks like Defalt may escape and survive in this game's "canon", which is great because he's been established as more competent and entertaining than the main cast. Here's hoping he's the protagonist of the next game.

• Locked thread