Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You need steroids, natch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

KingColliwog posted:

I really don't understand how people can really train 15 hours a week if you have a real life/real job and actually train hard.

It might be because I'm "old" (29) or judo is more taxing on the body due to falls or I don't know what, but when I train 6-7 hours of judo a week with 2 days of weightlifting and anywhere between 1 and 3 days of cardio a week, my body can barely keep up. May be I don't sleep/eat enough or am a big sissy?

As someone who is a little older, also trains in judo and lifts weights, I can tell you it only downhill from here.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

May be I don't sleep/eat enough or am a big sissy?

This is a pretty large spectrum of possibilities.

For example, I used to go as hard as possible in randori and fall on my knees to bail out of throws. I don't do that anymore after some knee trouble.

Your lifting form/program might have issues.

What is your cardio look like/is randori not enough cardio?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

At the moment I'm trying 7.5 hrs a week plus lifting, I think it's my limit while I have a girlfriend and a job. It feels like a pretty good amount I think?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hi liter posted:

This is a pretty large spectrum of possibilities.

For example, I used to go as hard as possible in randori and fall on my knees to bail out of throws. I don't do that anymore after some knee trouble.

Your lifting form/program might have issues.

What is your cardio look like/is randori not enough cardio?

I'm old enough not to do stupid stuff that will get me injured. I go hard in randori, but I accept the falls and everything.

My program is pretty normal/good. I've tried many and while squatting 3 times a week doesn't work for me, stuff like SS but only 2 days a week or similar programs work fine.

I try to do 1 day of HIIT and 1 day of low and slow cardio a week. Randori alone isn't enough if I only train 3 classes a week

Any more than that and my body breaks down.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

At the moment I'm trying 7.5 hrs a week plus lifting, I think it's my limit while I have a girlfriend and a job. It feels like a pretty good amount I think?

Yeah having a real "adult" job and a girlfriend might be a part of it too. Can't imagine how it's going to be once I have kids :|

Dysgenesis posted:

As someone who is a little older, also trains in judo and lifts weights, I can tell you it only downhill from here.

Thanks a lot :colbert:

I've been noticing a big change in the past 3 years or so. It's pretty annoying since I'm still so young. I'm basically in the best shape I've ever been in, but can't sustain the same sort of abuse.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 19, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

KingColliwog posted:

Can't imagine how it's going to be once I have kids :|

You will meditate on your life's learnings until they are of age, and then you will teach them to reap the leg.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks a lot :colbert:

I've been noticing a big change in the past 3 years or so. It's pretty annoying since I'm still so young. I'm basically in the best shape I've ever been in, but can't sustain the same sort of abuse.

Glad to help, I also have kids, that's the big killer.

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
I just recently started taking classes at a boxing gym, and it's a lot of fun. It's a good workout, and while I've only taken four classes, I look forward to when I'll be good enough for the sparring and competition parts of it. However, I have a few questions, so might as well ask here.

My first one might be somewhat unusual, or even impossible to answer, but here goes. When I was younger, I used to get frequent random nosebleeds. I never knew what caused them, but they could occur at anytime. It's been a long time since the last one, at least a year, but I'm somewhat worried. Could this possibly be an issue when I get to spar or compete in an amateur fight? Would I lose if my nose started bleeding? And if yes to both, are there any ways I might be able to prevent this (besides not getting punched in my pretty face, obviously :v:)?

Also, what is the proper way to take care of my handwraps? I've seen that you can put them in the washing machine, and I've read both "Never put wraps in the dryer!" and "It's ok to put wraps in the dryer, assuming they're in a mesh bag". Which is true? What should I do? I've worn them twice now without having washed them, is that a bad idea? My specific handwraps, if it matters.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Get a couple pairs and just throw them in the wash in a knit bag. Otherwise they'll get all tangled up and if you have a top loading washer the spinning thing in the middle will eat them up. Just let them hang dry after that.

There's tons of good YouTube videos on how to properly wrap your hands. Assuming you don't know.

I always let them air out after a session and reuse them 2-3 times but that's just me. You could very well just wash them in the sink after every session and hang dry

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 20, 2014

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me!

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Watch posted:

My first one might be somewhat unusual, or even impossible to answer, but here goes. When I was younger, I used to get frequent random nosebleeds. I never knew what caused them, but they could occur at anytime. It's been a long time since the last one, at least a year, but I'm somewhat worried. Could this possibly be an issue when I get to spar or compete in an amateur fight?

Yes, this could possibly be an issue. We had younger guys at my gym whose noses would start pouring like a faucet at the slightest brush of a glove. If that becomes your problem I think you have to go to the doc and get your nose cauterized or something to toughen the membrane. Not sure..

quote:

Would I lose if my nose started bleeding?

No. They might have the doc examine you and the doc will say "uhh his nose is bleeding" and let you continue.

quote:

Also, what is the proper way to take care of my handwraps? I've seen that you can put them in the washing machine, and I've read both "Never put wraps in the dryer!" and "It's ok to put wraps in the dryer, assuming they're in a mesh bag". Which is true? What should I do? I've worn them twice now without having washed them, is that a bad idea? My specific handwraps, if it matters.

I only wash my handwraps in a mesh bag when they start to get really stinky. Twice is nothing.

e: oh yeah, like the poster above mentioned, the really big thing is airing out your gear once you've trained. Don't let soggy gear sit in your gym bag overnight, it will grow bacteria and stink really bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Geno Petralli posted:

I only wash my handwraps in a mesh bag when they start to get really stinky. Twice is nothing.

e: oh yeah, like the poster above mentioned, the really big thing is airing out your gear once you've trained. Don't let soggy gear sit in your gym bag overnight, it will grow bacteria and stink really bad.

I hand wash my wraps with soap after every session.
Everybody read this if you haven't: http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ya wraps are pretty cheap, buy two pairs and rotate so you only wear them once. Staph is bad, especially something like your hands.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dysgenesis posted:

Glad to help, I also have kids, that's the big killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA1bgkOgbpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUq9eLcepWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-wdXJLQ2k

Never too young to get them started, just bring them along to class. People will understand.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
gently caress all you (other) old guys, I'm getting depressed here. What, can't train 3 hours a day without body breaking down, it's not only me? That said, I understand Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen better every day.

Xguard86 posted:

Ya wraps are pretty cheap, buy two pairs and rotate so you only wear them once. Staph is bad, especially something like your hands.

Same goes for boxing gloves. And bag gloves. And Savate-shoes if you are a human being kick-sailor frog fighter. Two or four pairs of everything.

I have several Twins which have been beaten to a pulp and serve as bag gloves today, one pair of 14 oz Fairtex for sparring, some 16 oz SDI's and a pair or 14 oz Metal Boxe for BF so I never ever have to wear gloves which have not completely dried out (from the inside too) after the last practice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Watch posted:

I just recently started taking classes at a boxing gym, and it's a lot of fun. It's a good workout, and while I've only taken four classes, I look forward to when I'll be good enough for the sparring and competition parts of it. However, I have a few questions, so might as well ask here.

My first one might be somewhat unusual, or even impossible to answer, but here goes. When I was younger, I used to get frequent random nosebleeds. I never knew what caused them, but they could occur at anytime. It's been a long time since the last one, at least a year, but I'm somewhat worried. Could this possibly be an issue when I get to spar or compete in an amateur fight? Would I lose if my nose started bleeding? And if yes to both, are there any ways I might be able to prevent this (besides not getting punched in my pretty face, obviously :v:)?

Nosebleeds can be an issue. I had a nosebleed problem when I was younger, and after a few ruined pillows after sparring I saw an ear/nose/throat doctor. He said I had a susceptible blood vessel near the surface in my nostril and cauterized it with silver nitrate. That was almost 10 years ago and I haven't had a nosebleed since.

Wash and dry your wraps each time you use them. Put them in a mesh bag so that they don't recreate the Gordian Knot every time you do.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I had a serious nosebleed issue. But it was fixed. The reason was I had my hands apart like in MT or utraind, and people would punch me in the nose all day :(

Also I wash my wraps after every class. In the machine, with all my shorts and shirts and poo poo.

Just wash your gear and clothes always, please.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Goffer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA1bgkOgbpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUq9eLcepWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-wdXJLQ2k

Never too young to get them started, just bring them along to class. People will understand.

I was teaching my 3 year old osoto gari last weekend and she loved it. I skipped passed osoto otoshi because it's poo poo and doesn't work.

Next stop uchi mata. (She has already seem my favorite throw which is tani otoshi).

Also I have always just stuck my wraps in the wash no problem. Just don't put them in with your gi if the gi is white and the wraps aren't. They can get tangled though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hygiene chat, if you guys don't have one yet invest in some glove deodorizers

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VY3T6M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_.HePtb07DA1NY

For Muay Thai what all gloves were recommended again? Right now I just use 16oz fairtex for everything but most people have 12 for bag work and pad/focus mitts and 16 for sparring?

I'm planning to go to Thailand in 8-10 months and i'm probably just going to buy all new gear when I get there.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wrageowrapper posted:

When I got there it turned out I didn't need any escapes after all but rather some move past the legs maneuvers instead. Hadn't practiced them in ages but thankfully I remembered what to do and got the grade anyway.

Congrats on the new rank!

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I dunno, I lift around 4 to 5 times a week alternating between straight strength work and explosive motion. I tend to do cardio two or three times a week, and train kick boxing 8hrs a week, jitz and wrestling 4 hours, and sparring somewhere inside of that. It's not like a dick measuring contest or anything, but I'm young and I do get sore. I've learned to pace myself so an hour of sparring isn't terrible after three or so drilling.

If you have a lot to work on, kick boxing boxing wrestling jitz judo etc etc, it doesn't seem unrealistic to spend a lot of time in the gym. Especially if you're training for a fight and don't want to be the goon who won via floppy ground strike dq

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Christoff posted:

Hygiene chat, if you guys don't have one yet invest in some glove deodorizers

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VY3T6M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_.HePtb07DA1NY

I got this on sale: http://www.amazon.com/MaxxDry-Boot-Shoe-Glove-Dryer/dp/B001MTO180
and it works quite well. Though I have no idea how much wattage it draws. I use it a few nights a week and I my electric usage has gone up correlated to when I got it (I haven't turned on AC for the summer yet, so it's not that).

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I dunno, I lift around 4 to 5 times a week alternating between straight strength work and explosive motion. I tend to do cardio two or three times a week, and train kick boxing 8hrs a week, jitz and wrestling 4 hours, and sparring somewhere inside of that. It's not like a dick measuring contest or anything, but I'm young and I do get sore. I've learned to pace myself so an hour of sparring isn't terrible after three or so drilling.

If you have a lot to work on, kick boxing boxing wrestling jitz judo etc etc, it doesn't seem unrealistic to spend a lot of time in the gym. Especially if you're training for a fight and don't want to be the goon who won via floppy ground strike dq

I literally don't have enough free hours in a week to do this amount of training, but my real problem (and I think the problem for many people) is motivation. If I aim to do too many sessions my motivation nosedives midweek and I really struggle to do the last few days, especially if work is hard that week, it's hard to drag myself to training when I just want to get drunk and play video games.

I want to do this for my whole life, so I don't want to burn out on it early. I want to find a sweet spot where I can maintain it for like, forty more years. I imagine it'll wax and wane as I get older.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I literally don't have enough free hours in a week to do this amount of training, but my real problem (and I think the problem for many people) is motivation. If I aim to do too many sessions my motivation nosedives midweek and I really struggle to do the last few days, especially if work is hard that week, it's hard to drag myself to training when I just want to get drunk and play video games.

I want to do this for my whole life, so I don't want to burn out on it early. I want to find a sweet spot where I can maintain it for like, forty more years. I imagine it'll wax and wane as I get older.

Hey your 7.5 hrs a week plus lifting with gf + job is just fine. Or even awesome! I know few people who would suggest more, even if you had the time.

I'm going to box (or fitness-box) as long as I can walk too, and probly lift as well. Lifting is so fun my motivation only grows the longer I do it and with my age getting up there my muscle mass is going down anyway if I don't do something about it so I'll do everything I can so that I won't be the guy who has a problem getting into a bus at the age of 50 or 60 and who huffs and puffs with the loving grocery bags.

But motivation or not, I'm not going to amp up my training to 10+ hours a week. I starts to feel counter-productive at that point - and it's not even a motivation thing, when I did all the hours I could in striking every week people would tell me I look much, much better during my "off" weeks when I wasn't training everday. Back then our sparring practices were in the late week and I was so stiff, tired and busted at that point I was just a zombie in the ring. A few days off, and I was actually having fun sparring the instructors.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I can't wait until I'm like 70 and I'm hanging out with a bunch of people my age and they're all decrepit and I'm doing cartwheels.

Tangent/Brag: I successfully cartwheel-passed a resisting opponent this week. Feels good.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, that's understandable. My outlook is coming from the gym I just switched over to, and while we hold a lot of belts (which mean nothing), a lot of our regular fighters are totally hosed injury-wise. I think the biggest problem if you have time is treating every session like conditioning; it's like every time I hold pads everyone is too concerned trying to hit as hard as they can for as long as they can to focus on technique and footwork. I've marked certain days where I treat the drills like conditioning and certain days where I'm focused exclusively on technique work. Sparring is always a crapshoot, nobody likes to get teed off on- one thing I had to learn fast at the new place is that body shots can be thrown full power all the time, but we're all sort of mutually respectful in terms not loading up power to the skull. Not that I agree with it, but the system plays into my game anyway.

Ligur posted:

But motivation or not, I'm not going to amp up my training to 10+ hours a week. I starts to feel counter-productive at that point - and it's not even a motivation thing, when I did all the hours I could in striking every week people would tell me I look much, much better during my "off" weeks when I wasn't training everday. Back then our sparring practices were in the late week and I was so stiff, tired and busted at that point I was just a zombie in the ring. A few days off, and I was actually having fun sparring the instructors.

Yeah, it's all about how much you can reasonably milk out of your body/mind I guess. Just going through the motions is good for your conditioning, but not great for developing good habits.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Has anyone who practices Iaido et. al. ever travel with their iaito? Should I just not even consider it? I've got a rank test coming up and I'm going to be traveling to an international destination wedding for a week or so and was hoping to use the mornings to review and practice my battado.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Has anyone who practices Iaido et. al. ever travel with their iaito? Should I just not even consider it? I've got a rank test coming up and I'm going to be traveling to an international destination wedding for a week or so and was hoping to use the mornings to review and practice my battado.

I wouldn't risk it, really. You might be able to get it through on a technicality, maybe, but trying to get it on a plane and through customs is going to be way more trouble than it will be worth.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I can't wait until I'm like 70 and I'm hanging out with a bunch of people my age and they're all decrepit and I'm doing cartwheels.

Tangent/Brag: I successfully cartwheel-passed a resisting opponent this week. Feels good.

This made me think about the super old dude who came to judo practice a few months back using a walker (is that how they are called? The 4 legged metal thing that old people use to walk). He then proceeded to go on the mat, stretch for 45 minutes and then drilled some newaza. The guy was surprisingly agile on the ground for someone who can't walk. I didn't ask his age but I think he was close to 80. I wish I am that awesome at that age.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A question about protection. In Europe fencing protection generally revolves around mask, gloves, shin pads and a jacket. I'd like to fence without a jacket has anyone done this?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

A question about protection. In Europe fencing protection generally revolves around mask, gloves, shin pads and a jacket. I'd like to fence without a jacket has anyone done this?

I was in a fencing club in college, in GA, in the summer*, we used the all purpose building[read basketball court], and it was under renovation so it had no AC, beyond an open door. So every once in a while we'd just go with just masks, gloves, and cup/chest protector. Suffice to say it sucked pretty hard to get slapped with a foil or epee on bare skin. I wouldn't do it by choice.

*Not hard for the ambient temperature to hit 38 celcius or so.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 21, 2014

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KildarX posted:

I was in a fencing club in college, in GA, in the summer*, we used the all purpose building[read basketball court], and it was under renovation so it had no AC, beyond an open door. So every once in a while we'd just go with just masks, gloves, and cup/chest protector. Suffice to say it sucked pretty hard to get slapped with a foil or epee on bare skin. I wouldn't do it by choice.

So do you feel you could get smacked with a steel longsword and be OK? Because I want to start sparring with less and less armour.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I haven't personally, but I know plenty of people who have. It depends greatly on where you are going.
If you are going to the UK, you'll need to prove that you are a 'legit' martial artist. They might still impound until they can confirm it.
Japan: Only alloy blades are allowed. Steel blades will be confiscated and destroyed.
Most other countries have way more relaxed laws and you shouldnt have any issues. (Just be prepared to answer questions).

If it's really a concern, couldn't you just bring a bokuto instead?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does alloy mean aluminum? Cuz steel is, you know, an alloy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

So do you feel you could get smacked with a steel longsword and be OK? Because I want to start sparring with less and less armour.

Assuming you're using a dull 3ib or so longsword, If you're going full speed, I suspect you'd get killed, injured, or maimed in anything less than full plate of some sort, you'd probably not cut anything, but you'd probably break some bones or damage your internal organs if you get caught under the ribs. I am not an expert though, so your results may very, I know the SCA guys get away with using 1ib ratan on flesh, but they require at the very least joint, head, throat, and kidney protection, and even they still get their collar bones broken every once and awhile.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

This made me think about the super old dude who came to judo practice a few months back using a walker (is that how they are called? The 4 legged metal thing that old people use to walk). He then proceeded to go on the mat, stretch for 45 minutes and then drilled some newaza. The guy was surprisingly agile on the ground for someone who can't walk. I didn't ask his age but I think he was close to 80. I wish I am that awesome at that age.

There's this guy at my Judo club who's a retired marine (I know because that's basically every other word out of his mouth). He's got heart arrhythmia: when you take the lapel grip you can feel his heart beating all screwy and it distracts you enough for him to launch you. His body is basically falling apart and still comes to Judo 3 days a week.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
We have a 60+ year old former full contact kickboxer/savate dude who can still do the splits with some minor warmup. He doesn't even have the slurred speech and glassy eyes most boxers have at that age.

I want to be that guy in 30 years.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Note: I do Olympic-Fencing (nothing historical/HEMA/SCA) and am a rated referee in the US. I also have little patience for people who try to buck safety because of the inherent dangers of the sport.

Ultragonk posted:

Have you lost your goddamn mind? The joke with fencing is that we wear protective gear to prevent DEATH; it just so happens to prevent a lot of maiming as well. gently caress, refs are now required to visibly check for plastrons* because of 2 deaths a few years back. One was at an international competition where to fencer altered it, but the other was during practice.

If you do any sort of thrusting, you should not consider lessening any of your protective equipment. END OF STORY If your blade pierces the skin, it will only stop on bone or when you have completed your follow-thru. There is no chance to stop it. The death at the competition I mentioned above? It occurred when their opponent's blade broke and pierced the stitching at the armpit of the jacket.

Want another example? At last year's Summer National's during the gold medal bout of a sabre event, a fencer was stabbed in his thigh, which pierce his knickers (short pants that protect the thighs). The trainer came up, bandaged the wound, and he continued. At the end of the bout, they noticed he was still bleeding from his thigh. The blade had gone all the way through his thigh, and the trainer had missed the exit wound. Luckily, he was treated promptly. But we have high-speed camera to record the final bouts in fencing to allow for challenges to a call. The refs decided to look and see if it was visible on the recording. They could only see the fencer pierce in a single frame of the high-speed camera.

What are you trying to accomplish by sparring without protection? How does it hinder you? Do you compete? If so and your protection limits your movement, why spar without it and have to adapt to it for competition?

TL:DR Don't loving do it, you're risking death.

*A plastron, or underarm protector, is a arm and chest protector worn under the fencer's jacket and on their weapon arm. It's designed as a single piece of fabric that covers the fencer's armpit without any stitching and the vitals in the chest. Think of it as half a shirt, cut vertically.

KildarX posted:

This is dumb. I hope your club has since wizened up and stopped this. Sabre might have an excuse, since it's a light-weight mainly cutting weapon. But foil and epee? Those are both thrusting weapons, and with foil the goal is to hit your opponent in the chest. This is in no-way safe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Guys, I've been thinking about no longer wearing safety goggles in my chainsaw fighting league. Is this a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

It's been pretty well answered already (No, not if you're going with any speed/power at all) but why exactly do you want to do this?

• Locked thread