Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gotta pump that WIS now.
hes not making many good decisions. Intuitive decisions that make sense, yes, but not good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gotta pump that WIS now.
hes not making many good decisions. Intuitive decisions that make sense, yes, but not good ones.

Financial Planning has been created!

[Financial Planning (Passive) LV 1 EXP: 1.07%]

By making sound and reasonable decisions with your money you have learned how to budget and save. If you live long enough to retire you may do so comfortably. If you don't get horribly murdered.

Common Sense has been created!

[Common Sense (Passive) LV 1 EXP: .05%]

By being prudent and cautious you have learned that your actions have repercussions in short, mid and long term.

Warning: May make the story boring.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NowonSA posted:

He could learn to make amazing items in like a week, when it takes others a lifetime. He is a one-man guild!

I don't know why other families haven't come swarming after him trying to recruit him. Not that many people know about him, but still, word has got to be getting around about what a bullshit character he is.

Too bad that he put all his skill points into having lots of mana, and the #1 use of people in the underworld is as mana factories. I sure hope that doesn't come back to bit him in the butt :ohdear:.

I wonder if he'd start getting skills at working as a mana battery and just grind that out 24 hours a day and be the best goddamn human mana factory they ever saw.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

XboxPants posted:

I wonder if he'd start getting skills at working as a mana battery and just grind that out 24 hours a day and be the best goddamn human mana factory they ever saw.

Overcharges capacitors. Factory explodes. Success! Everyone is saved!!

...in a manner of speaking.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Her wisdom was only 11, I think. Not much higher than his. Maybe wisdom isn't really worth a lot?

I wonder if there is some other point to the fact that the thugs seem to look, act, and talk like they're from the 80's or 90's?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dan7el posted:

Her wisdom was only 11, I think. Not much higher than his. Maybe wisdom isn't really worth a lot?

To be fair, she isn't shown to be very wise up to this point.

buttshapedlocket
Apr 7, 2014

Do you like my sexy vampire

:wink:

Dan7el posted:

I wonder if there is some other point to the fact that the thugs seem to look, act, and talk like they're from the 80's or 90's?

They're probably just rad dudes.

We know he can remove curses from people, but I want to know if he can remove them from items, too. I want to see one bullshit dude singlehandedly crash the global black market by accident.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Buy a cursed item for cheap, remove the curse, resell at a higher price. It's ingenious.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Given that the spell is a Han Jee-Han style spell, removing curses like that might even be something that's incredibly rare and possibly something only he has learned to do so far.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I Think it's more that instead of like praying the curse away or purifying it he just uses mana to grab the fucker and rip it off.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Elfgames posted:

I Think it's more that instead of like praying the curse away or purifying it he just uses mana to grab the fucker and rip it off.
I hope that's how it goes. Your curse shall be torn asunder by my hands :black101:.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
It seemed like he had to destroy it after ripping it out, which leaves open the idea that curses are objects/items that he could collect. It'd be in line with his ability to create real items from nothing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
What this series really needs is a Dark Gamer. Someone with the same class as the protagonist, but he's evil and is either a bit more advanced or uses his ability in a different way that hasn't been seen yet. Maybe he uses observe to get information to blackmail people with?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Instead of playing MMO's, the Dark Gamer only plays FPSes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The dark gamer plays the same awful korean grindfest mmo's, only as a whale. Thus, he starts with the ability to convert money into physical power but never gets observe.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The Dark Gamer is a big fan of phone MMOs, and has a huge hole in his pocket. He fights with the power of multiple forms of anime girls (Boat-Girls, Train-Girls, Plane-Girls, Underage-Girls, etc.). :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Dark Gamer actually pays for free-to-play games.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Dark Gamer is a Starcraft/MOBA player.
It can go so many ways literally anything would be hilarious to see.

And the Dark Gamer pumped his WIS.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Jeehan's based on Korean MMO designs, so the Dark Gamer would totally be based on WoW American MMOs.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shugojin posted:

The Dark Gamer actually pays for free-to-play games.
He pays real money to get the premium support skills in the manhwa to beat Jee Han.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The Dark Gamer spends $10 to purchase a respec from the cash shop mid-fight in order to make a build specifically to counter whatever Jee Han is doing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh yeah, since this is a Korean Manhwa we really do need to see a starcraft-type player. Someone who just works out a bunch of strategies and commands a bunch of minions.

I like the idea of Dark Gamer buying advantages though, making our bullshit protagonist call him out on his bullshit. I guess they could just have bought a ton of rare and powerful items on the auction site that he bought the Earth skill book from?

Also, I want him to meet someone with the same class who just used his abilities to get really good at doing something mundane, like being able to cook really quickly and make high-quality food. There's still a ton of cool things like that to be done with this universe, I have high hopes for the future!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The Dark Gamer plays Cookie Clicker.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NowonSA posted:

Oh yeah, since this is a Korean Manhwa we really do need to see a starcraft-type player. Someone who just works out a bunch of strategies and commands a bunch of minions.
In a twist, the starcraft player is his mom.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dragonatrix posted:

Jeehan's based on Korean MMO designs, so the Dark Gamer would totally be based on WoW American MMOs.

So basically he'll be this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKqKg6DfTY

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Anybody have thoughts on Re: Monster? It looks like a similar gaming world manga but from the perspective of a goblin. Used to be human and was murdered and reincarnated as a goblin player character.

https://www.mangahere.co/manga/re_monster/

It sort of feels The Gamer like?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The Dark Gamer is basically Manhwa Seto Kaiba who uses his vast fortune to secure every possible advantage and hold extravagant competitions. Also he ends up buying 85% of the items that JeeHan sells, but neither one of them realizes what's happening for 18 chapters.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Soylentbits posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Re: Monster? It looks like a similar gaming world manga but from the perspective of a goblin. Used to be human and was murdered and reincarnated as a goblin player character.

It has some similar ideas but it's a much darker and more violent story. I'm interested to see where it goes. The main character's power is more absurd than Jeehan's.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, that was a pretty interesting read, and there are some funky mechanics that the protagonist has access to. He's basically a Blue Mage that doesn't need to be hit with abilities to learn them. He just eats them and gets them! That's pretty crazy. The rank up thing is cool, too. I imagine he'd go down the Vampire route, but who knows.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Re: Monster is interesting, yeah. But shouldn't we make another thread for this later, or is it cool to just use this one?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Soylentbits posted:

This is pretty cool if a little dark. I'm a little annoyed that he picks up powers so fast that he just starts pulling random abilities out his rear end that have never been mentioned before.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think they were mentioned, but only once, and the Japanese wasn't translated.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wittgen posted:

I think they were mentioned, but only once, and the Japanese wasn't translated.

Wow this sure is a lovely scanlation. All the scanlation said was "Learned a bunch of things", they were just too lazy to do the typesetting. Luckily there's a better (text-only) tl available online:

quote:

Learned ability "venom".

Learned ability "thermography".

Learned ability "venom tolerance".

Learned ability "evil eye".

Learned ability "sense presence".

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 22, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mysticblade posted:

Re: Monster is interesting, yeah. But shouldn't we make another thread for this later, or is it cool to just use this one?

It should probably have another thread if it turns out to be good! I read the few chapters that were on but somehow it didn't really click with me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eh, it isn't like threads are a finite resource.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eh, it isn't like threads are a finite resource.

True but seeing as it's a monthly manga and it's only 4 issues in, it may be worth waiting a few months (years) so there's some room for discussion and the thread doesn't just fall idle.

Also what's Alphapolis, some kind of online manga thing? I think Remonster may be from it.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

XboxPants posted:

True but seeing as it's a monthly manga and it's only 4 issues in, it may be worth waiting a few months (years) so there's some room for discussion and the thread doesn't just fall idle.

Also what's Alphapolis, some kind of online manga thing? I think Remonster may be from it.

We could still probably move it to the shounan or seinan thread but I wasn't sure which one it was and it seemed like the fans of The Gamer would probably like this too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you like the Gamer, try reading Moonlight Sculptor sometime. It is about a vr game that is so advanced that it is essentially magic and a relentless powergamer's efforts to rise to the top and make real money selling game items.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Light Novel, no pictures... :suicide:

I actually do like reading though, so maybe I'll give it a shot later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you like the Gamer, try reading Moonlight Sculptor sometime. It is about a vr game that is so advanced that it is essentially magic and a relentless powergamer's efforts to rise to the top and make real money selling game items.

I love Moonlight Sculptor just because the main character tries so hard to min-max his stats for combat, and then the game goes outta its way to reward him with bonuses to his originally planned dump stats ie Art and crafting stats. Course he eventually comes around on it but it's probably my favorite MMO fiction I've read so far since it actually uses that MMO-mindset to its advantage. EDIT: Also its MMO world is pretty cool, even if it is pretty much magic, and there's no gimmick like being trapped in the game or dying in the game will kill you in real life. Just a simple story of a dude who wants to gold farm so his family can have a better life.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 23, 2014