Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Timely Howard posted:

Wasn't sure where exactly to chat about this, but I guess this thread will do.

I never really played many Nintendo games on my GBA when I was a kid (can't really remember playing much aside from Castlevania, Mega Man Zero and Tactics Ogre), so I've been using the recent introduction of GBA games on the Wii U as an opportunity to play catch up with some games I passed on the first time around. Super Metroid has always been a favourite of mine-- played it for the first time when I was very young and have played through it once every couple of years since, but until now hadn't actually finished any other games in the series (I got through most of the first Prime game, though). I picked up Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion back when they were doing sales for buying multiple GBA games, and I bought Zero Mission right after it went up on the store this past Thursday.

I decided to play them in the order they came out, so I've been spending most of my free time these past couple of days getting through Fusion for the first time.

Boy, was that a mixed bag.

Visually stunning-- watching Samus move around is fantastic (aiming her gun while clinging to walls amazes me no matter how times I see it), the bosses are large, interestingly designed and beautifully animated, but the audio is just abysmal. I knew what I was getting into (it's the GBA, after all), but I feel like the game's atmosphere really suffers as a result of the music and sound effects being as weak as they are.

The gameplay is Metroid and Metroid is obviously extremely compelling as is, but the game kind of sucks in ways I'm sure everybody finished talking about a decade ago. Constantly being told what to do by my computer is annoying, hitting a point of no return at the end of the game that locks down all the sectors and prevents me from going back to search for hidden areas and upgrades blows, there are too many parts of the game (after bosses, etc.) where they block off the return path and expect me to bomb every surface until I discover a secret path that leads me back out, and Samus just doesn't really handle all that well. Maneuvering in mid-air feels really awkward.

Overall I would say I liked it quite a bit. Absolutely no songs stuck with me and I don't really think I'll be going back to replay it anytime soon, but Metroid (and other Metroid-style games) are terribly engaging and just heaps of fun to play.

I booted up Zero Mission immediately after and played it for about 15 minutes, and wow-- what an immense upgrade. Samus feels agile and is just a blast to control. It's like I pawned my old '89 Volvo to pay for a slightly newer used car.

tldr metroid is neato

Fusion actually has a way of avoiding navi rooms right at the end so you can get 100%. There are hidden passages that link each sector and let you skip returning to the main one. Just FYI.

I didn't like Zero Mission because it suddenly gives you every power-up in front of the end boss door and expects you to turn around and run back through the entire loving game to get upgrades that were unavailable until that point. Um no, I am never gonna do that. What a stupid design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Everything I've read says 22nd

Sure, but is it just Wii U games or other stuff? Just select games? Games under a certain price?

Basically, can someone just post the source for why people are expecting a sale? That'd be neat.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Fusion actually has a way of avoiding navi rooms right at the end so you can get 100%. There are hidden passages that link each sector and let you skip returning to the main one. Just FYI.

I didn't like Zero Mission because it suddenly gives you every power-up in front of the end boss door and expects you to turn around and run back through the entire loving game to get upgrades that were unavailable until that point. Um no, I am never gonna do that. What a stupid design choice.

Ehh, I dunno, I thought that was a pretty cool moment. You're a novice Samus the whole game but you still manage to do alright, and then at the end you get a sweet Chozo boost and become proper Samus and now you can tear through Zebes like a god, crushing everything in your path.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody got a link for this? Not showing on their weekly ad on their website, that's still for the 21st.

I asked in the video game deal thread for you, maybe they'll know.

fyi if you want a new way to turn the WiiU on, reach for the gamepad and knock it on the ground, it's the universal sign for "oh you want to play video games".

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Soul Glo posted:

Sure, but is it just Wii U games or other stuff? Just select games? Games under a certain price?

Basically, can someone just post the source for why people are expecting a sale? That'd be neat.
Wii U only. All games. No price limit, lowest priced game is the one that will be free.

Here's the ad from 10 pages ago

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks, dudes. Might buy me a couple games tomorrow.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the best controller to play La-Mulana? I bought it ages ago on steam, but playing with a keyboard sucks, I was wondering if the wiimote was good enough to play this game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It was designed with a keyboard or wiimote in mind, so I hope you can get comfortable with one of them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

deafmute posted:

Wii U only. All games. No price limit, lowest priced game is the one that will be free.

Here's the ad from 10 pages ago

Also real quick, note that the console is $25 off too. If you just bought it then Target will give you a $25 credit. Good friend of mine randomly bought one from Target today and they said they'd credit him tomorrow on the sale.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Elliotw2 posted:

It was designed with a keyboard or wiimote in mind, so I hope you can get comfortable with one of them.

I just don't want to buy a wii special controller.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
How does that work with the Mario Kart 8 free game? If you bought MK8 and, say, 3D World, could you get two free games as a result (one from the Target offer and one from redeeming the MK8 code)?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Quovak posted:

How does that work with the Mario Kart 8 free game? If you bought MK8 and, say, 3D World, could you get two free games as a result (one from the Target offer and one from redeeming the MK8 code)?

Yes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kurtofan posted:

I just don't want to buy a wii special controller.

I played it fine with the plain ol' Wii Remote.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Well Nintendo did it; I finally caved. Took me 3 stores to find one. Who knew the Wii U would be sold out?

I wasn't totally sold on the gamepad but it's actually pretty rad. Playing on the gamepad works way better than Vita remote play. Sadly it came with a dead battery so I guess I have to post about it for a bit instead of rocking a catsuit :argh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I love that wii u is sold out everywhere. Who knew a good e3 and Mario kart could save a system.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I love that wii u is sold out everywhere. Who knew a good e3 and Mario kart could save a system.

Most consoles tend not to have major install bases until there is actually stuff out for them that people want. :v: PS3 and 3DS were both victims of this and were both written off as dead in the water til worthwhile stuff started to get released.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yo, I'm playing that Super Metroid and I'm stuck. I'm in Maridia, I got Power Bombs and Gravity Suit and Scanner Beam and I can't loving find the way to get to the boss. There's a sandy area with water that has locked doors, and no other routes to the boss symbol seem to exist. Where should I be and how can I get there?

i'm playing it on the Wii U so I can ask here right?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yo, I'm playing that Super Metroid and I'm stuck. I'm in Maridia, I got Power Bombs and Gravity Suit and Scanner Beam and I can't loving find the way to get to the boss. There's a sandy area with water that has locked doors, and no other routes to the boss symbol seem to exist. Where should I be and how can I get there?

Assuming, you are on the top-rightmost part of the map and are in fact very close to the boss, in the room with the spikes that is below the save room, the spikes are fake.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 21, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

andipossess posted:

Assuming, you are on the top-rightmost part of the map and are in fact very close to the boss, in the room with the spikes that is below the save room, the spikes are fake.

I think the area you are describing is the area I'm trying to get to, actually. The doors leading to that part--well the door I've found--is locked. Specifically, the locked door is in a small room with a sand water fall and infinitely spawning fish.

VVVV--Way past there.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 21, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

I think the area you are describing is the area I'm trying to get to, actually. The doors leading to that part--well the door I've found--is locked. Specifically, the locked door is in a small room with a sand water fall and infinitely spawning fish.

Have you been to area yet that looks like you're going through a clear tube and used your powerbomb to destroy it?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

It might be easiest to watch a lets play for that area(like this one) so you can jump around to find exactly where you're at and what you're supposed to do :wotwot:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Loving the hell out of my new Wii U, so far the only games I got for it is New SMB U + Luigi U and Earthbound and F-Zero for Virtual Console, don't have spare dough for games like MarioKart 8 or Super Mario 3D World yet, that's waiting until next payday which will be fatter since I'm working more hours again. I was kinda iffy on the whole Gamepad thing, but as others mentioned it works really well, and I think it's really neat you can play on either TV or the gamepad's screen. Oh, and Nintendo games in HD graphics, wow. :swoon:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Completely out of left field question but how's WWE All Stars on Wii, compared to the 360 & PS3 versions? Is it pretty much the same exact game or a neutered turd?

Starhawk64 posted:

Loving the hell out of my new Wii U, so far the only games I got for it is New SMB U + Luigi U and Earthbound and F-Zero for Virtual Console, don't have spare dough for games like MarioKart 8 or Super Mario 3D World yet, that's waiting until next payday which will be fatter since I'm working more hours again. I was kinda iffy on the whole Gamepad thing, but as others mentioned it works really well, and I think it's really neat you can play on either TV or the gamepad's screen. Oh, and Nintendo games in HD graphics, wow. :swoon:

If you're gonna have to choose between those two, go for Mario Kart 8 first so you can get in on the free extra game deal. Wiilcome to the cliib :mrgw:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

gay skull posted:

Wiilcome to the cliib :mrgw:
Surely you meant to say, Wiilcome to the clUb :colbert:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Holy poo poo this 3D World level with the cherries is the best. I'm controlling 5 fireball throwin Toads at once :getin:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

gay skull posted:

Completely out of left field question but how's WWE All Stars on Wii, compared to the 360 & PS3 versions? Is it pretty much the same exact game or a neutered turd?

I've also been wondering about this for awhile.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

I've heard of the input lag on the gamepad when playing a virtual console game but my question is this: is there any input lag on an HDTV when you're playing a virtual console game?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

K-Flow posted:

I've heard of the input lag on the gamepad when playing a virtual console game but my question is this: is there any input lag on an HDTV when you're playing a virtual console game?

When I play F-Zero, which is pretty input-intensive, I experience zero lag, so maybe it depends on your set? I've tried mine on both my computer monitor and the HDTV in the living room and have had zero problems.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 22, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think when most people talk about input lag on VC, they're just surprised at how sluggish the original SMB really was.

The Gamepad should have almost no lag (one frame). Most modern TVs will actually have more lag than the Gamepad, even when you put them in game mode.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

We just recently picked up a Wii U and after moving everything over and getting VC games upgraded, I felt like there was a bit of lag at first on the Mario Games and even Zelda.

Now that I have played them for a few days, I think I was just out of practice (seriously going from Mario 3D Land to SMB 1 is a nightmare for how off it feels in the control department).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

K-Flow posted:

It's not a Wii U thing, it's a problem with said persons setup. I've got a Panasonic Plasma and there's no lag at all. The gamepad and tv both sync with the games perfectly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

VVVV--Way past there.

If you haven't fought Botwoon, the snake miniboss, you need to find your way into the center of Maridia. After you grapple across the top of a huge room in green maridia you'll be a purple pipe room. Shoot the floor there to find the next path. Once you find Botwoon and beat him the path to the boss is relatively straightforward. The locked door you're describing is actually the exit from that area near the boss.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A good way to tell if you've got a laggy TV is to listen to the audio. If the audio doesn't match, neither will the picture.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Also real quick, note that the console is $25 off too. If you just bought it then Target will give you a $25 credit. Good friend of mine randomly bought one from Target today and they said they'd credit him tomorrow on the sale.

Does the Target system come with any game? I.E. is there anything to differentiate it from the $200 refurbished unit you can get from Nintendo?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Does the Target system come with any game? I.E. is there anything to differentiate it from the $200 refurbished unit you can get from Nintendo?
It comes with New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U, the refurb from Nintendo would come with Nintendoland. I think it comes with the gamepad charging cradle, gamepad stand and console stand which isn't included with the refurb if I remember correctly.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tender Bender posted:

I think it applies to the NSMBU and MK8 bundle. My friend got the Mario bundle and is getting the credit.

Also quick reminder that MK8 is amazing:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

K-Flow posted:

Once upon a time I was super anal about any sort of input/display lag (music game dork,) and I don't feel like there's any sort of noticeable lag. I mean yea, you're likely playing on an LCD HDTV, so there's some lag there, with a wireless controller, which introduces more lag, but it's all negligible. Likely to the tune of a few milliseconds.

NOTE: only virtual console games I've played are Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros, and Super Castlevania IV. Haven't tried any of the Street Fighters, which I imagine would be the only games where lag could be an issue.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 22, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Didn't know where to post this, but this is the closest there is to a general Nintendo thread, so I'll post it here.

I'm working on a project to arrange bunch of songs from a bunch of Mario games. The main ones on my radar are Mario 64 and Paper Mario, but after that, who knows.

Dire Dire Docks is finished, in any case. I'll post more in here if people give a poo poo.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Dire Dire Docks is finished, in any case. I'll post more in here if people give a poo poo.
You've got a lot to work on. Mix is weak and leaves a lot to be desired with a cluttered mid and percussion that's too quiet, your arrangement of the backbeat is particularly weak and lacks the emphasis on 2nd and 4th beats that give the original version its power and drive, and you've dropped the harmonies the strings had without really replacing them with anything but notes that are already there. You could probably also use some stuff like reverb, too, but I don't wanna' say too much, since I'm an amateur, myself. I'd recommend taking a closer look at what gives the original its impact, movement, and variety, and keeping those elements in mind in your arrangement, even if you change them up. I'd start asking questions about what you use and all that, but that's gonna' turn into a discussion that's not relevant to this thread very quickly.

Hopefully, this doesn't seem too negative. Just keep in mind that I do it because I like to see people get better, not because I wanna' tear ya' down.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Ultigonio posted:

You've got a lot to work on. Mix is weak and leaves a lot to be desired with a cluttered mid and percussion that's too quiet, your arrangement of the backbeat is particularly weak and lacks the emphasis on 2nd and 4th beats that give the original version its power and drive, and you've dropped the harmonies the strings had without really replacing them with anything but notes that are already there. You could probably also use some stuff like reverb, too, but I don't wanna' say too much, since I'm an amateur, myself. I'd recommend taking a closer look at what gives the original its impact, movement, and variety, and keeping those elements in mind in your arrangement, even if you change them up. I'd start asking questions about what you use and all that, but that's gonna' turn into a discussion that's not relevant to this thread very quickly.

Hopefully, this doesn't seem too negative. Just keep in mind that I do it because I like to see people get better, not because I wanna' tear ya' down.

This is fine, criticism is good, don't worry about it.

• Locked thread