Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Any recommendation's on websites for booking the honeymoon? I tried Expedia and it doesn't want to process my request for some reason.

TripAdvisor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'll try trip advisor. Kayak seems to be ok. We're trying to just get the best bang for our buck.

Has anyone ever used Europeandestination.com? They're part of the Better Business Bureau (which doesn't really mean much) and seem legitimate enough... but I dunno some weird bells and whistles are going off with the site.

We want to travel to Ireland, and being able to stay in multiple places and see the sites all around is appealing... I just don't want to get scammed.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged for a while but finally made an appointment to start looking at rings. We're headed up to NYC to look at Satomi Kawakita's showroom. Does anyone have other recommendations for places to look while in the city? I like nontraditional and conflict-free jewelry, and vintage pieces.

I'm excited but also nervous to be embarking on this process. I've been lurking in the thread for a while, but even having read all of your experiences, planning a Jewish and Indian wedding seems daunting.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I found the perfect dress today after many, many "meh" "hell no" and "eh, I guess could wear that" offerings. My friends and family are sick of listening to me talk about wedding stuff already (they seem to think that because my partner and I have been together for over a decade we shouldn't make a big fuss) so I'm going to share my dress with you guys!

It's exactly what I wanted and I had given up on finding anything like it! I actually found it randomly when I was browsing around wiffling on pulling the trigger on a far inferior dress.

uraninjs
Sep 26, 2010

A Game of Chess posted:

My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged for a while but finally made an appointment to start looking at rings. We're headed up to NYC to look at Satomi Kawakita's showroom. Does anyone have other recommendations for places to look while in the city? I like nontraditional and conflict-free jewelry, and vintage pieces.

I'm excited but also nervous to be embarking on this process. I've been lurking in the thread for a while, but even having read all of your experiences, planning a Jewish and Indian wedding seems daunting.

We went with Leigh Jay Nacht. Customer service was excellent. They have a decent selection of vintage pieces and also have lots of reproductions.
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I found the perfect dress today after many, many "meh" "hell no" and "eh, I guess could wear that" offerings. My friends and family are sick of listening to me talk about wedding stuff already (they seem to think that because my partner and I have been together for over a decade we shouldn't make a big fuss) so I'm going to share my dress with you guys!

It's exactly what I wanted and I had given up on finding anything like it! I actually found it randomly when I was browsing around wiffling on pulling the trigger on a far inferior dress.

Yeah that's pretty much awesome, where did you find it?

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I'm pretty lucky in that there's tons of local vintage, enough to support regular vintage fairs. Once I decided on a vintage dress, I started following Etsy shops for the fair's vendors who had consistently nice stuff and my dress popped up in one. It's a totally random stroke of luck and I can't stop gushing about it. Specifically it's from this shop.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
People who ordered their rings from an online/custom jeweler- how long did it take to show up? My girlfriend and I have been looking at rings a little bit and I'm weighing my options for acquiring said ring. I want to do some more looking with her to get a better idea of what she likes but I would also need the ring by the end of September, as I want to propose on our anniversary on the 30th of that month.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

C-Euro posted:

People who ordered their rings from an online/custom jeweler- how long did it take to show up? My girlfriend and I have been looking at rings a little bit and I'm weighing my options for acquiring said ring. I want to do some more looking with her to get a better idea of what she likes but I would also need the ring by the end of September, as I want to propose on our anniversary on the 30th of that month.

With James Allen, I think we ordered ours around the 10th of December? Something like that then it arrived just after Christmas. v:shobon:v

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Bruce Boone from http://www.boonerings.com/ has a turnaround time of ~1 week, and they're based in Roswell, GA and can express fedex stuff to you. We were very very pleased with his customer service, he was super fast on returning emails too.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

nyerf posted:

Bruce Boone from http://www.boonerings.com/ has a turnaround time of ~1 week, and they're based in Roswell, GA and can express fedex stuff to you. We were very very pleased with his customer service, he was super fast on returning emails too.

I got my wedding ring from Boone Rings and, like you said, the turnaround time was great and I was really pleased with the product and service. However, I think he specializes more in bands and men's rings, and has a limited selection of "traditional" rings with stone settings. Most of his stuff is also tension setting, which can be tricky and expensive to resize. If C-Euro finds something he likes there then I'd so go for it. He's still got a great shop and I recommend him to everyone who's looking for actual wedding rings.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

uraninjs posted:

We went with Leigh Jay Nacht. Customer service was excellent. They have a decent selection of vintage pieces and also have lots of reproductions.
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/

Oh, thank you! They have some really lovely things.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for bridesmaid gifts? I'm trying to think of something that all three of them would enjoy.

Also, it's incredibly frustrating to realize that both the time and the address on the invites you sent out 6 weeks ago are wrong. I totally forgot that the ceremony had to be at 1 instead of 1:30 because the officiant will have to leave to attend another wedding and it looks like I goofed on the address, in that it would be 49528 instead of 45928.

Good thing I noticed that now instead of a month from now though.

God, I am the worst part planner ever.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Nessa posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for bridesmaid gifts? I'm trying to think of something that all three of them would enjoy.

I paid for mine to get professional hair/makeup done instead of handing them some cheesy monogrammed thing they'd just throw away afterwards.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I paid for mine to get professional hair/makeup done instead of handing them some cheesy monogrammed thing they'd just throw away afterwards.

I'm doing this, but I'm also giving them a "cheap and meaningful" gift of cool little cosmetics bags with "TEAM BRIDE" and their name on them, they're cool and not tacky, I hate all that cursive curly writing bullshit. These are stylish :cool: And inside I've put silly things like a hanky with "FIX YOUR MASCARA" plus since MAC is doing our makeup and the cost is product-redeemable, they'll have a lipstick to do touchups with etc. I haven't fully decided what'll go in the bags but it'll be funny, "emergency-kit" style things. I'm not getting them expensive stuff because a) they're not those kind of girls, and b) although they have to fly to Tasmania, they're getting all their accom, food, transport, makeup etc paid for plus I gave them each $150 towards the dress of their choice so v:shobon:v

Maybe I've gone overboard but I have a bit of guilt over asking everyone to travel so far away. Heh.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Like, for the day of the wedding, or just as a gift certificate that they can use whenever? I think 2 of my 3 bridesmaids would be into something like that.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Nessa posted:

Like, for the day of the wedding, or just as a gift certificate that they can use whenever? I think 2 of my 3 bridesmaids would be into something like that.

I assume she meant on the day.. that's a common thing to do in lieu of gifts for bridesmaids.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Nessa posted:

I'm giving mine: :ssh:
  • Whatever dress in whatever color/style they want/like/look good in, so long as it has straps/sleeves, is floor-length, and is not white or red (my colors)
  • Their wedding jewelery
  • A starter charm bracelet with a set of Chessex's tiny silver polyhedral dice and 2-3 charms related to each girl personally (I have a loud, obnoxious, entirely awesome charm bracelet that I add a charm to after every big event or vacation in my life)
  • Hotel room night-of so we can set up the venue (which is next door to the hotel)/get our hair and makeup done/chill and enjoy instead of worrying about transportation or weather (January in Rochester, NY could go either way on the heat-wave-to-blizzard scale...)

Each important male in the wedding party is getting a bow tie* handmade by me out of custom silk fabric that each man would like. These guys are getting this fabric:
  • Stepfather gave me my love of D&D
  • Groomsmen are our college D&D group :3:
  • Officiant
  • ASL interpreter (who, coincidentally, is also a RPG geek)
Father of the groom is in the industrial diamond industry: this fabric.

* Bow ties are cool, dammit.

quote:

Also, it's incredibly frustrating to realize that both the time and the address on the invites you sent out 6 weeks ago are wrong. I totally forgot that the ceremony had to be at 1 instead of 1:30 because the officiant will have to leave to attend another wedding and it looks like I goofed on the address, in that it would be 49528 instead of 45928.

Good thing I noticed that now instead of a month from now though.

God, I am the worst part planner ever.

1. If that's the only thing that goes wrong, excellent.
2. You're only human. :)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

daggerdragon posted:

I'm giving mine: :ssh:
  • Whatever dress in whatever color/style they want/like/look good in, so long as it has straps/sleeves, is floor-length, and is not white or red (my colors)
  • Their wedding jewelery
  • A starter charm bracelet with a set of Chessex's tiny silver polyhedral dice and 2-3 charms related to each girl personally (I have a loud, obnoxious, entirely awesome charm bracelet that I add a charm to after every big event or vacation in my life)
  • Hotel room night-of so we can set up the venue (which is next door to the hotel)/get our hair and makeup done/chill and enjoy instead of worrying about transportation or weather (January in Rochester, NY could go either way on the heat-wave-to-blizzard scale...)

Each important male in the wedding party is getting a bow tie* handmade by me out of custom silk fabric that each man would like. These guys are getting this fabric:
  • Stepfather gave me my love of D&D
  • Groomsmen are our college D&D group :3:
  • Officiant
  • ASL interpreter (who, coincidentally, is also a RPG geek)
Father of the groom is in the industrial diamond industry: this fabric.

* Bow ties are cool, dammit.

1. If that's the only thing that goes wrong, excellent.
2. You're only human. :)

Cool ideas! I actually already picked up little charms for them. I was at Thomas Sabo with one of my bridesmaids and she pointed out all the pretty charms. I didn't get Thomas Sabo charms though, I just picked mine up at Michaels, so they will be more for decoration of the actual gift, rather than the gift itself.

One of my bridesmaids will be staying at the motel with us the night before, and we're paying for a second night for her there as well.

I don't really know what to do about hair and make-up, since the town we'll be staying in is quite small and there's a hair salon, but no make-up people.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Any recommendation's on websites for booking the honeymoon? I tried Expedia and it doesn't want to process my request for some reason.
If you're up for a little bit more of an ad-hoc situation, my wife and I had nothing but good things to say about AirBNB for our honeymoon stays. Just be sure you search for only "entire place" listings! We managed to snag a cute apartment with a view of the Eiffel Tower for 130 USD a night, and the only face-to-face contact we had with the owner was turning the keys back in when our stay was over. Also all the owners were super friendly and gave us local-based recommendations of places to eat and things to see, which might be a plus if you're into that sort of thing!

Also as far as getting scammed is concerned, AirBNB has some pretty hefty insurance behind it, so if things ever fell through they would absolutely put you up in a replacement hotel.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 21, 2014

uraninjs
Sep 26, 2010

Nessa posted:

I don't really know what to do about hair and make-up, since the town we'll be staying in is quite small and there's a hair salon, but no make-up people.

I got a Mary Kay rep to do my makeup. She might be an exception, but it could be worth looking into. Granted, the lady that did mine has been a family friend for years and I was already familiar with her "work".

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

Nessa posted:

You can learn and do it yourself if you have time, or maybe a bridesmaid knows and is willing to pitch in? If not, I'm sure there are makeup artists in the surrounding areas that will drive to you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dudes in the thread, did you tell your parents before proposing to your gals? I'm home this weekend and I kind of want to tell my dad that I'm giving serious thought to proposing to my girlfriend, but I feel like it might be premature since I haven't even asked her dad if it's OK.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

C-Euro posted:

Dudes in the thread, did you tell your parents before proposing to your gals? I'm home this weekend and I kind of want to tell my dad that I'm giving serious thought to proposing to my girlfriend, but I feel like it might be premature since I haven't even asked her dad if it's OK.

My fiance told his parents, and he asked both my parents for their blessing (my parents are divorced) and that really meant a lot to me.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Personally I would have been offended if my husband asked my parents for their blessing.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

I talked to my parents first, and then my wife's parents. I talked to my parents first because they're my parents and I'm more familiar with them and I have a tendency to consult them before making major life decisions because I know they're way smarter than I am.

When I talked to my wife's parents, I was very careful about phrasing; I asked for their blessing and approval, and couched it in terms of "This is something that I'm planning to do, and I wanted to give you guys a heads up and address any concerns", and very specifically NOT in terms of "I'd like your permission". My wife has a good relationship with her parents and I knew that her parents were very traditional, so they'd definitely want to be approached before I proposed, but at the same time I didn't want to ask permission if their answer didn't matter (because it's not like I was planning to break up with her if her parents said no).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

C-Euro posted:

Asking the parents/father is a very personal thing so asking for random opinions on the internet won't get you anywhere. It's sort of old fashioned but considering that you're linking your families together it's understandable to want to involve her parents in the process. As for your dad, go hog wild, that's just a conversation between father and son.

Personally I didn't ask my wife's father, but it never really crossed my mind since her father was a thousand miles away and had been alienating himself from her for some time. Dude didn't even come to the wedding with the lame excuse "just started a new job and don't want to look bad by taking vacation time".

Anyway, I would say it depends on your relationship with her parents. If you're buddy buddy with them, then informing them of your decision is sort of a romantic if, as I said, old-fashioned gesture. If you think they'll say no, then just don't bother. If they say no, you have the non-option of not proposing, or you poison the well right off the bat.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Gravitee posted:

Personally I would have been offended if my husband asked my parents for their blessing.

I would have been too if I thought it would have made a difference to what he did! But they are both really fond of him so I thought it was nice that he talked to them. It definitely wasn't a like "if you say I can't then don't worry I'll just ride off into the sunset". I do think it's pretty outdated and not really necessary though :)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

C-Euro posted:

I told my folks after I asked her folks for permission. Just kinda felt like the right thing to do, didn't want them to feel left out of the process? I'm pretty friendly with my folks.

I say do it, the main thing is you don't exactly want everyone and their dog knowing before your (hopefully!) soon bride to be.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was asking about talking to MY parents specifically. I was definitely planning on talking to her parents before proposing, so I'm not looking for an argument one way or another on that question.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Duckie posted:

You can learn and do it yourself if you have time, or maybe a bridesmaid knows and is willing to pitch in? If not, I'm sure there are makeup artists in the surrounding areas that will drive to you.

I'm probably just going to do it myself, maybe with some help from my bridesmaids.

On a whim, I decided to do a sketchbook guestbook instead of a regular guestbook. I don't care about people's signatures in a book, but I think a bunch of drawings would be a lot more fun. :)

C-Euro posted:

I was asking about talking to MY parents specifically. I was definitely planning on talking to her parents before proposing, so I'm not looking for an argument one way or another on that question.

I know you're not looking for an argument, but I would recommend not asking her father for permission. Talk to her parents, sure, but don't "ask her dad if it's okay".

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Nessa posted:

I know you're not looking for an argument, but I would recommend not asking her father for permission. Talk to her parents, sure, but don't "ask her dad if it's okay".
I think these days it really is more of a "hey I'm gonna do this and I respect you guys and want you to know because you're important and special parts of our lives" rather than "is it okay for me to do this oh god please say I'm good enough". That's what my fiance did (the former thing), I wish I had phrased it better when I posted, I was using the term loosely. I really started this line of discussion and I sincerely apologise for any discomfort it caused anyone!

In saying that I think people should do what they wanna do, even if it's not what others would do. :)

Nessa, I said I would do my own makeup but ended up deciding not to because although I am p good at doing my own makeup and so are my bridesmaids, none of us know the first thing about makeup for photography and it can be a different ballgame :shobon:

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
My stepfather gave my mom's parents a heads-up that he was planning to propose, and my grandma told my mom about his plans before he did the actual proposal (they still got engaged/married, of course). My grandma was a oval office and a life-ruiner, but I'm sure she wasn't the first or last to do this.

Gravitee posted:

Likewise. Requesting parental permission (even just as a formality or as a heads-up) is an archaism that's generally tied to conservative cultures. If your girlfriend has expressed any modern feminist tendencies, avoid it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I thought I was doing the right thing be my fiance by asking for their blessing (not permission) and while my fiance did appreciate it, her parents caused some unnecessary drama.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Nessa posted:

Yeah, day-of stuff. First off because my bridesmaids aren't the girly-girl monogrammed tote carrying and jewelry wearing crowd. Second I wanted everyone to look their best in pictures and pro makeup for pictures is different than regular makeup. Third, some NEVER wear makeup and wouldn't have the skill to do their own makeup and one of them had questionable tastes in makeup palettes and that way I avoided a bridesmaid wearing neon blue mascara down the aisle.

C-Euro posted:

My husband told his parents and his dad went out and bought a ring with a bigger diamond for my husband's mom to one-up him :downs:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sharks Below posted:

Nessa, I said I would do my own makeup but ended up deciding not to because although I am p good at doing my own makeup and so are my bridesmaids, none of us know the first thing about makeup for photography and it can be a different ballgame :shobon:

Well, my photographer is one of my bridesmaids (and her boyfriend). I asked her about makeup, and she just said "Oh, there's lot's of things we can do!"

It's kind of difficult now that she's living in a city 3 hours away, but I'll try to bring it up to her again.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
With regards to asking-your-female-partner's-parents-permission, I think you really have to think about who your partner is. You are getting married to hopefully you know her well enough to know about her relationship with her parents.

Personally, I love my parents dearly, but we're not super close, and I am a raging feminist. If my partner has asked my parents permission, I would have seriously reconsidered our relationship. If my partner had just talked to my parents to give them a head's-up that this was gonna happen, I still wouldn't have liked that very much. He didn't. Hell, his parents were there when it happened and he didn't even tell them in advance! Which was perfect, because I was suspicious enough as things stood already and their poker faces are not great.

Point is, don't do it out of some outmoded cultural bullshit. Do it because your wife-to-be is very very close to her parents and you know exactly how they and she will react. If she isn't that close or you don't know how they will react, don't do it.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

Nicol Bolas posted:

With regards to asking-your-female-partner's-parents-permission, I think you really have to think about who your partner is. You are getting married to hopefully you know her well enough to know about her relationship with her parents.

This is pretty much me as well. My parents are super traditional and we're not close at all so if he had asked permission I would have been pretty offended and wondering what the hell. I was definitely surprised he hadn't talked to his parents about it first though, he's very close to them and usually tells them everything.

That said, the majority of people asked if he had asked my dad first and were really surprised that he hadn't so apparently it's a thing that is still done. I can see it being sweet if she's really close with her parents and it's more of a check in before hand and less a permission thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nicol Bolas posted:

Personally, I love my parents dearly, but we're not super close, and I am a raging feminist. If my partner has asked my parents permission, I would have seriously reconsidered our relationship. If my partner had just talked to my parents to give them a head's-up that this was gonna happen, I still wouldn't have liked that very much. He didn't. Hell, his parents were there when it happened and he didn't even tell them in advance! Which was perfect, because I was suspicious enough as things stood already and their poker faces are not great.

Point is, don't do it out of some outmoded cultural bullshit. Do it because your wife-to-be is very very close to her parents and you know exactly how they and she will react. If she isn't that close or you don't know how they will react, don't do it.

This is exactly what I was looking for, TBH. My girlfriend grew up in SE Asia and though her parents still live overseas she is still pretty close to them, especially her dad. But they're on the liberal end of their culture and really like me from what I can tell, so maybe a "hey I'm going to do this thing" talk with her dad (or both) is the way to go. Though they did, according to her, tell her that I need to talk to them before proposing, but she did seem imply that they were kidding around somewhat. It's just too bad they don't speak a ton of English :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Look on the bright side, it sounds like you won't have to (potentially) deal with Bride prices like I am! :v:

(Though we may just say "yeah any hongbao* we get you can just keep, it's no problem")

*basically wedding gifts, usually cash