Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I understand it's NG++, but why does Lycia need over 5000 health, 2-second heals, an insta-kill physical damage wrath of god, and infinite casts?

I'm seriously just going to kill her every time she's at the Tower of Flame where there's a cliff to knock her off, she's just too obnoxious otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ice_Mallet posted:

I understand it's NG++, but why does Lycia need over 5000 health, 2-second heals, an insta-kill physical damage wrath of god, and infinite casts?

I'm seriously just going to kill her every time she's at the Tower of Flame where there's a cliff to knock her off, she's just too obnoxious otherwise.

You don't get Soothing Sunlight if you don't use the Crushed Eye Orb! :pseudo:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Now I want to dual wield Greatswords. I had no idea that mechanic was a thing, I just assumed that holding two weapons let you chain them until you ran out of stamina, unlike most 1-2 punch combo R1s.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ice_Mallet posted:

You can stunlock her, though why you feel the need to kill her at all in ng++ is beyond me. She just gives you the poo poo she drops (barring the lockstone that turns the entrance, but why would you even need that) if you have high enough faith anyway.

NTT posted:

Now I want to dual wield Greatswords. I had no idea that mechanic was a thing, I just assumed that holding two weapons let you chain them until you ran out of stamina, unlike most 1-2 punch combo R1s.

You'll need a ton of strength and vitality for that.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Tallgeese posted:

That was the biggest crime, I'll tell you that.

Makes me sad too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jamfrost posted:

Makes me sad too.

Even worse is that when you throw fire resin on them they don't light up properly. They just turn orange.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ice_Mallet posted:

WoG is lightning damage. Also, if you're a Physical build, spam a Great Hammer 2handed R2 to just stunlock her. If you can't, at least try to get a 100% defense Lightning shield.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
With 3.4M SM in NG, where is a good place to sunbro? I only need two medals for sunlight spear, which I want before NG+.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

neetengie posted:

WoG is lightning damage. Also, if you're a Physical build, spam a Great Hammer 2handed R2 to just stunlock her. If you can't, at least try to get a 100% defense Lightning shield.
Licia's WoG is physical, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

With 3.4M SM in NG, where is a good place to sunbro? I only need two medals for sunlight spear, which I want before NG+.

I doubt you'll get any hits anywhere in NG with that high SM, but try Nashandra. Ancient Dragon might have some people around there since it's bullshit, though I highly doubt that will go the way you want it to. Just go NG+, you don't lose ranks in your covenant and you keep the one you go into your next run with. So you can just drop your sign for the Dragonrider a couple times and go straight for Harvest Valley from there.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
So cracked orb invasions don't count towards covenant rank? Has anyone ever actually gotten 500+ VICTORIES?? That's insane.

Edit: I just want a pretty aura :(

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 22, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Lycia is the hardest boss in the game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well, turned off region restriction, got five hits and only one of them has managed to not drop themselves off of an edge circle strafing Nashandra. :shrug:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

So final body count for today includes Chariot, RRA, and Old Iron King. OIK didn't hit nearly as hard as I expected, so I just tried to stay clear of the edges so I didn't get knocked into the lava. This marks the end of my approximate knowledge of the game's structure, so I'm not sure what comes next. It's super rainy here, so I'm guessing Mirror Knight? I made it as far as the gate to Drangleic Castle before getting killed by elephant men and crossbows.

quit spoiling the game for yourself

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Apparition posted:

So cracked orb invasions don't count towards covenant rank? Has anyone ever actually gotten 500+ VICTORIES?? That's insane.

It's not hard, just time consuming. Do it in ng, you run into way less horribly overleveled people that way. Use Mastodon Greatsword, maybe elemental and buffed. Land a running attack then do r1,r1,r2, will kill basically anyone. Other greatswords or katanas are also good. You could also dual-wield a greatsword and lance; alternating the light attacks (i.e. r1, l1, r1, l1, etc.) allows you to infinitely stunlock people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Apparition posted:

Yeah, you'd think they'd make successful invasions the rank-up measure with arena wins being the free red orb measure. Arena fights for bloodbros wouldn't count toward rank at all (or might give you +1 if you win, -1 if you lose) while invasions give you, like +2 points and -1 for losing, or something. I don't know. With only victories counting, they're basically just a lovely dueling covenant instead of an invading covenant. Incentivize using red orbs and you'll get more invasions which helps the two blue covs out.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Licia's WoG is physical, though.
That's interesting, why would they change her WoG's property to Physical?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Probably to make it easier for players to deal with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: Creighton will react to you wearing Pate's gear. He won't attack you, but he'll chuckle and say "I've got you now you dirty rat" and then "Don't scare me like that, I thought you were him".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Y'know, I've never actually found the two of them in Tseldora. Never looked that hard either, mind you because I don't like that area but still wonder where they are.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: Creighton will react to you wearing Pate's gear. He won't attack you, but he'll chuckle and say "I've got you now you dirty rat" and then "Don't scare me like that, I thought you were him".

I like this. I like this a lot.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Y'know, I've never actually found the two of them in Tseldora. Never looked that hard either, mind you because I don't like that area but still wonder where they are.

They're right at the beginning next to the first zip line, if you're curious. It's an interesting little scene.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fister Roboto posted:

Doesn't he say that stuff regardless of what you're wearing?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

My first time messing with shading and after killing 3 Drakekeepers I go back to my world. Is it like a souls gained thing? I thought shading in Dragon Shrine was a thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Doesn't he say that stuff regardless of what you're wearing?

He does

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ok, that's what I thought.

argondamn posted:

My first time messing with shading and after killing 3 Drakekeepers I go back to my world. Is it like a souls gained thing? I thought shading in Dragon Shrine was a thing.
Yeah, one of the conditions for getting sent back is getting a bunch of souls.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
gently caress vendrick

whoever though a huge loving hp sponge that kills you in one hit was a good idea needs to be slapped.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am trying to play a dex guy using pokey weapons like estoc and rapier. Does anyone have any suggestions on stats for that build? I figure 40 dex, maybe 40 str. Beyond that, I dunno. I already have a guy that I went str on and used greatswords and he owned. Kinda been a while since I played this. I am thinking no magic or anything like that. Any ideas?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

gently caress vendrick

whoever though a huge loving hp sponge that kills you in one hit was a good idea needs to be slapped.
hug his left leg. When he backs up to the wall, give him room so you can hug it again.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

vandalism posted:

I am trying to play a dex guy using pokey weapons like estoc and rapier. Does anyone have any suggestions on stats for that build? I figure 40 dex, maybe 40 str. Beyond that, I dunno. I already have a guy that I went str on and used greatswords and he owned. Kinda been a while since I played this. I am thinking no magic or anything like that. Any ideas?

If you don't care about levels, and there is no reason to care, 40/40's the way to go. If you do care about levels 20/40 gives you access to a lot of stuff. I went 26/40 but I don't remember why.

Helix halberd and partizan are the funnest dex weapons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

gently caress vendrick

He's the easiest boss in the game to dodge. He has like three attacks, one of which he can't use if you're close to him and the other two can't hit you if you're behind him. Yeah, he has a lot of health even with five giant souls but he's not hard. Tedious is the word I'd use.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
I had my darksouls.gif moment today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1krmDKrLHk

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

neetengie posted:

hug his left leg. When he backs up to the wall, give him room so you can hug it again.

Yeah, I figured my problem was that I was getting too thirsty. Also I was using a silly boss weapon (thorn greatsword, which is cool, but slightly non-optimal) So I switched over to a giant warrior club +10 with sunlight sword on it :getin:

Figures the old fuckface should get killed with one of those.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Disease posted:

One-shots I can live with, but these assholes are like the only thing in the game that can OTG you it's infuriating.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ice_Mallet posted:

Here is my video tutorial on how to beat Licia on all difficulties

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

Disease posted:

This is wonderful. When I was playing, I expected him to come bursting through the wall like the first time. Nope, right at the door.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

With that high an SM your best bet is Velstadt, Throne defender/watcher or Nashandra. I have gotten, somewhat consistent on Velstadt up to Around 4M SM. but bosses before that would probalby not give you any hits.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Atreiden posted:

With that high an SM your best bet is Velstadt, Throne defender/watcher or Nashandra. I have gotten, somewhat consistent on Velstadt up to Around 4M SM. but bosses before that would probalby not give you any hits.

Putting it by the kings gate bonfire is great because you catch dragon riders too! However, If you're that high and people are still on dragon riders, prepare to carry hard and fast because they are idiots and will always get themselves killed. I've seen a lot of idiots sprint out into the sentinel room, wake up all the statues, and aggro all the sentinels, then die as they all blend them into paste

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

argondamn posted:

I think I read on the wiki that it's a timer that gets extended with each kill. All I know is that in the wharf it generally means that your shade lasts until the docks ambush if you're lucky and the boat ambush if you're not.

//edit: hey hey I did that thing where I replied before I refreshed; whoops

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 22, 2014

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I finnaly made the jump and ditched my ultra greatsword for a burger king greatsword, I suddenly have so much weight to work with. I always used penal mask for the equip load, what do you guys think a mostly beat-face person should be wearing in the head slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

On a lark I decided to try a sorcerer character for the first time ever in a Souls game and for some reason I'm having a pretty rough go of it with him. Should I pump up STR and DEX enough to use a mace as a secondary weapon?