Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

I'm doing some searching, but reading the drat NexusMods comments section for any given mod is a pain in the loving rear end. Only loading, like, 10 or 20 at a time is just ridiculous when at least 95% of those comments are pure loving garbage some retarded 12-year-old vomited up.

The comments section on Nexus pages has a 'view forum thread' link (since the comments are duplicated/also viewable that way). You can then search within that thread; it's pretty handy sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any mods that add the MPLX Novasurge from F3 into FNV? I've poked around on Nexus a bit but I can't find any that seem to do it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Are there any mods that add the MPLX Novasurge from F3 into FNV? I've poked around on Nexus a bit but I can't find any that seem to do it.
Looking at the Fallout wiki the Novasurge is just a regular plasma pistol with tweaked stats. You can make that yourself pretty easily.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It has a custom model.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

-Troika- posted:

It has a custom model.

Does it? I pulled up the wiki page for the unique gun and the regular plasma pistol and the pictures are literally identical. Like, switching tabs between pictures shows no change.

From what I remember, almost no gun in Fallout 3 has a unique counterpart with a custom model. The closest I can think of is Lincoln's Repeater, and only because they sort of went backwards and made a non-unique 10mm version for Point Lookout's tribals.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

-Troika- posted:

It has a custom model.
If you're sure it has a unique model, you won't find a mod adding it to New Vegas on the nexus. Importing assets from other games is generally a no no.
However it's still pretty easy to copy the Novasurge's model and textures from Operation Zeta's .bsa into New Vegas if you want to.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Just so you guys are aware, Lombard Station Expanded is going slow due to a mixture of overall lack of time to devote to it, and writer's block on certain aspects, but it isn't dead. In an attempt to make it more transparent to what I'm doing*, I've created a repository for the work I've done so far on LSE. Obviously the files in this repository will always be the most up to date, because that's what version control is. Do keep in mind that although you can download the plugin and needed Data files, the mod is not yet in a playable state. It's not complete, and at any given time various features can suddenly work or break.

On a final note, both the issue tracker and wiki are made public, so as long as you have a Bitbucket account (free), you're allowed to post in the wiki as well as issues/features/questions in the issue tracker.

Lombard Station Expanded Repository

* Also because version control just makes things a lot easier for me in terms of tracking my work.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The King of Swag posted:

Just so you guys are aware, Lombard Station Expanded is going slow due to a mixture of overall lack of time to devote to it, and writer's block on certain aspects, but it isn't dead. In an attempt to make it more transparent to what I'm doing*, I've created a repository for the work I've done so far on LSE. Obviously the files in this repository will always be the most up to date, because that's what version control is. Do keep in mind that although you can download the plugin and needed Data files, the mod is not yet in a playable state. It's not complete, and at any given time various features can suddenly work or break.

On a final note, both the issue tracker and wiki are made public, so as long as you have a Bitbucket account (free), you're allowed to post in the wiki as well as issues/features/questions in the issue tracker.

* Also because version control just makes things a lot easier for me in terms of tracking my work.

Will it support Sortamatic?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Seashell Salesman posted:

Will it support Sortamatic?

No need to, it has its own advanced sorting system that automatically sorts your items (any items, regardless of mod they're from) based on where you currently have items placed in containers. The sorting system also supports an exclusion and stocking system (items not to sort, and items to be stocked in your personal inventory, respectively), as well as item distribution. Item distribution works on the principle that if multiple containers store the same item, they should hold equal quantities, instead of one taking the lions share. These features are of course, all switchable if you don't need them.

It also has crafting that takes into account all the items in your containers, extensive displays, and although not yet finished, supports actual weapon walls, where you place your weapons on the displays and can directly pull them back off, without needing to go through containers. I'm hoping to implement dynamic ammo shelves as well, where you can specify which shelves hold what ammo, in a specified amount.

What I'm working on right now is updating the sorting system; the sorting system as it exists right now, requires at least 1 of an item to remain in the container, for more of that item to be sorted back into that container. This adds a lot of complexity, as all parts of the system need to respect the "leave 1 item" rule, which prevents them from taking the last of an item from a container. The update I'm working on should fix that so that even when an item is removed from a container (by the sorting system), the system will remember to sort that item back into that container next time you sort. This should (mildly) speed up the sorting as well as making the scripts much easier to follow (which makes it both easier for me and anyone that'd like to adapt it to their own project).

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I don't think there is F3 mod thread anymore so I hope it's ok to ask here if the FO3 Wanderer's Edtion mod is any good? It kinda sounds bit like Sawyer's mod for F3, but on the other hand it seems to add stuff like bullet time(?), etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zilkin posted:

I don't think there is F3 mod thread anymore so I hope it's ok to ask here if the FO3 Wanderer's Edtion mod is any good? It kinda sounds bit like Sawyer's mod for F3, but on the other hand it seems to add stuff like bullet time(?), etc.

It's the predecessor to Project Nevada for FNV, which is my general go-to mod at the start. If you want a general purpose mod that adds a lot of new functionality, it's great. I even prefer using bullet time (slow-motion that uses AP) to VATS, since I no longer need to care about percentage chance to hit and I can shoot exactly how I want. It adds a lot of other functions as well, such as a hotkey to quickly pull and throw grenades like a modern FPS, a New Vegas-style needs system for food, water, and sleep, and an alternative start system that lets you start in a semi-randomly chosen area with random gear and perks based on your chosen profession and background and change exactly how many SPECIAL points you allocate and how many skill points you earn on leveling, which skips the entire post-birth intro sequence in less than 5 minutes (don't worry, you can still choose to be a Vault 101 dweller and start outside the Vault door). You can edit how everything operates to tune it to your own desires.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 22, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm pretty new to modding.

I got FOMM and the fantastic jsawyer mod to work for New Vegas and now I want to install some graphical enhancements and ENBs to the game.

Does anyone have experience with incompatibility or corrupted saves with jsawyer and:
- NMC texture pack
-fallout character overhall (head skin mod)
-Monster mod
-Dynamo EMB
-new armor mods + graphical re skins of vanilla armors
-Ambient Wasteland 2.0

Will there be a problem with adding these mods to an existing jsawyer save?

I think I read somewhere there was a way for Project Nevada and jsawyer to work together. Anyone try this? Is it fun? Any issues?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Whats the consensus on texture packs? Which is better? Bueno or NMCs?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's personal preference mostly, but what I do is install Ojo Bueno, and then install NMC over top of it. Ojo Bueno changes some things that NMC doesn't and vice versa, so the order you install them in changes what the end result looks like.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Whats the consensus on texture packs? Which is better? Bueno or NMCs?

I wouldn't say either is objectively better, just whichever you like more. Personally, I use NMC because I'm doing a TTW playthrough, and it pairs with the NMC pack for FO3.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I got FOMM and the fantastic jsawyer mod to work for New Vegas and now I want to install some graphical enhancements and ENBs to the game.

Does anyone have experience with incompatibility or corrupted saves with jsawyer and:
- NMC texture pack
-Monster mod
-Dynamo EMB
-Ambient Wasteland 2.0

I think I read somewhere there was a way for Project Nevada and jsawyer to work together. Anyone try this? Is it fun? Any issues?

Going to group in terms of no conflict and potentials:

No conflicts: (Jsawyer doesn't do very much visually)
NMC
Ambient Wasteland 2.0
Dynamo ENB
Graphics reskins of vanilla armors (unless they also change stats, which might conflict)

Potential conflict: (nothing that would break the game, but could cause some slight strangeness)

Fallout Character overhaul - The problem here is that any NPC data is grouped into one record, so that a mod that changes a character's face will also conflict with a mod that changes stats/AI packages/inventory. With a merged patch (using FNVEdit) you should be able to sort out most issues here

Monster mod - I hesitate to recommend this mod because it's incredibly unbalanced (really strong monsters appear at very low levels), especially since JSawyer makes your character more fragile to begin with. Nothing that would directly conflict, but potentially some balance issues.

New armor mods - No direct conflicts, but the balance issue may apply, since JSawyer adjusts the stats of existing armors, whereas mod armors probably weren't balanced with JSaywer in mind (some armor mods include JSawyer balanced versions)

As for Project Nevada, I've pretty much always used them together without issue. The main idea is that the Core, Equipment, and Cyberware modules will play nicely with JSawyer, while the Rebalance module will conflict, since both mods are rebalancers and thus touch the same settings. Personally, I use the PN Rebalance mod with the MCM menu, which allows me to adjust the various settings on the fly, but you may want to avoid installing it if you don't want to mess with manually adjusting the settings. The other 3 modules are fine though.

I love PN, particularly the Core and Cyberware modules (I like messing with the cyberware implants even if it is unbalanced, and the Core module adding a grenade hotkey and sprint function makes PN worth installing by itself.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The sprint, grenade, and bullet time function of Project Nevada are probably the most important changes to the vanilla game in terms of combat. They allow you to play it more like a traditional FPS and give you a real-time alternative to VATS that's good enough to potentially let you override a low Guns or Energy Weapons skill with your own personal talent at mouse shooting, no percentage chances needed.

At the same time I recommend turning off the auto-aim function, either with PN's menu or a mod for it. The auto-aim can be total bullshit at times, causing your bullets to curve toward or away from a target regardless of where the sight is aimed. I also like to play with Realistic Headshots so I can pop human enemies and most animals in the head once or twice and go.

Before I had that installed, I discovered just how bullet spongey the enemies in New Vegas Bounties were. I had the damage turned up high enough and the armor rebalanced so that against unarmored enemies, a few shots even with a 9mm would kill reliably. I used Sweet Revenge, which is hilariously overpowered for a handgun. Against the final boss, it took two headshots to down him. I can't imagine how long it would take with vanilla statistics.

Speaking of bullet sponges, be very wary about using the Xenomorph and T-800 plugins for Monster Mod. The mod already badly unbalances the game unless you rebalance it (thankfully a mod exists for that, so no need to scrounge around in the GECK), but they're so impossibly tough that you start to wonder just how beating them is possible. Using the aforementioned damage increase, I went into god mode and used a fully upgraded Red Glare on a T-800. It took literally over a minute of sustained full auto fire (with the damage and fire rate upgrade, mind you) to kill one.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

[FWE is] the predecessor to Project Nevada for FNV...

Moreover it's the predecessor to a lot of features added in FNV itself (compared to FO3). During development of FNV, guys at Obsidian were describing how they were taking some inspiration from popular mods for FO3. The usual example they used was Weapon Mod Kits - for the weapon mods in FNV - but it's obvious that FWE was another large source of inspiration; particularly with things like the 'hardcore mode' features.

So yeah, FWE is pretty drat good.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Helical Nightmares posted:

- NMC texture pack
-Monster mod
-Dynamo EMB
-Ambient Wasteland 2.0

A: NMC's textures have absolutely no changes to gameplay and all, so you'll be fine adding that. Reskinning of vanilla armors is the same. I recommend Low-Profile Armor Mod (LPAM) for new armors, by the way. FCO will work with JSawyer. It's ENB, by the way, not E M B. ENBs don't change any gameplay elements, either.

Now, I really want to recommend NVEC, the gigantic awesome bug-fixing mod that adds just a ridiculous amount of smallish mods to expand functionality to almost every area of the game, as it does have JSawyer built into it. If you use NVEC and its Project Nevada patch, which squares the circles of both mods working together, you will have a gameplay experience that includes the changes from JSawyer as well as having Project Nevada. In all honesty, you can have about 95% of what you would ever want with just NVEC, PN, and WMX together.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I absolutely recommend the NMC textures if your computer can handle them (mine cost less than $800 pre-built, so pretty much any decent gaming rig, especially one that's custom built for modern games, won't even notice). They look infinitely better than the vanilla ones.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I suck at character creation and want to make our pal :dmca:. Should I start with the character creation packs in the OP? or is there some lazy shortcut where I upload a picture and it makes a model?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone know why I'm seemingly unable to mod WMX? I just want to put a drat suppressor on That Gun instead of the scope, but whenever I load up the game one of the following things happen:

1) Suppressor is invisible, gun is still loud.
2) I can't even mod the drat gun at all.
3) Weapon mod menu has a space in it, like it jumps from mod 1 to mod 3, just a gap in mod 2 slot.

What the gently caress?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know why I'm seemingly unable to mod WMX? I just want to put a drat suppressor on That Gun instead of the scope, but whenever I load up the game one of the following things happen:

1) Suppressor is invisible, gun is still loud.
2) I can't even mod the drat gun at all.
3) Weapon mod menu has a space in it, like it jumps from mod 1 to mod 3, just a gap in mod 2 slot.

What the gently caress?

It's hard to give advice without knowing exactly what you've been doing. Could you describe the steps you've taken so far? (The more detail, the better.)

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah, more info what you are doing would be good, but All that needs to be done is to open WMX in fnvedit, copy the WXM That Gun Record as override to a new file, and change the Effect - Mod 3 value to Silence. The model will still have the scope and will not have a silencer but fixing that involves mesh editing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The King of Swag posted:

No need to, it has its own advanced sorting system that automatically sorts your items (any items, regardless of mod they're from) based on where you currently have items placed in containers. The sorting system also supports an exclusion and stocking system (items not to sort, and items to be stocked in your personal inventory, respectively), as well as item distribution. Item distribution works on the principle that if multiple containers store the same item, they should hold equal quantities, instead of one taking the lions share. These features are of course, all switchable if you don't need them.

It also has crafting that takes into account all the items in your containers, extensive displays, and although not yet finished, supports actual weapon walls, where you place your weapons on the displays and can directly pull them back off, without needing to go through containers. I'm hoping to implement dynamic ammo shelves as well, where you can specify which shelves hold what ammo, in a specified amount.

What I'm working on right now is updating the sorting system; the sorting system as it exists right now, requires at least 1 of an item to remain in the container, for more of that item to be sorted back into that container. This adds a lot of complexity, as all parts of the system need to respect the "leave 1 item" rule, which prevents them from taking the last of an item from a container. The update I'm working on should fix that so that even when an item is removed from a container (by the sorting system), the system will remember to sort that item back into that container next time you sort. This should (mildly) speed up the sorting as well as making the scripts much easier to follow (which makes it both easier for me and anyone that'd like to adapt it to their own project).

Does it let you set quotas of consumables and gear to keep on you and/or restock after it strips your inventory? This is my principal use of Sortamatic, to automatically restock/strip my character every time I go back to base.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

The King of Swag posted:

Just wanted to say that I loved the original Lombard Station, so I'm glad you're doing work on improving it. Thank you.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Antistar01 posted:

It's hard to give advice without knowing exactly what you've been doing. Could you describe the steps you've taken so far? (The more detail, the better.)

delta534 posted:

Yeah, more info what you are doing would be good, but All that needs to be done is to open WMX in fnvedit, copy the WXM That Gun Record as override to a new file, and change the Effect - Mod 3 value to Silence. The model will still have the scope and will not have a silencer but fixing that involves mesh editing.

I first check which model and textures the gun is using via GECK, then edit that model to have the suppressor via nifskope:

I used a suppressor added by WMX to ensure compatibility, and pasted over to the That Gun mesh. Same process I use to change weapon and armor parts around with no problems.

Load up GECK, and set the last mod of the WMX pack I use as active:

Find That Gun:

Change the mod item and effect whatever, in this case I've been using the 12.7mm pistol suppressor and point the modded weapon model to my edited mesh:

Save, put edited .esp back in place, load game.

So far so good...

Oh.

Yup, hosed up again.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
I would install this then try again. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41642/

Without it, the geck does not allow an esp to be a master and will cause numerous issues.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So I'm retarded and am loving something up. I just downloaded and unsuccessfully installed DarNUI which shows up in the loader. I have the boot priority configured to what the OP suggests.

When I look in the pipboy the text is still yellow and all the items I look at are all hosed up text colliding together.

I copy and pasted what the modder says to in their thread. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work. I also do not see a FalloutPrefs.ini anywhere so I dont know what loving file they're talking about.

reference to mod page http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1138795-wipzbeta-darnified-ui-nv/

edit: Randomly, without me doing anything additional, I was asked to make fallout_default.ini not a read only file (even though I had already edited and saved changes to it) and voila the Text finally look appropriate. Though it is still yellow for some reason. :argh:

edit2: I'm retarded and I suck. hosed with display setting in options. Fixed it mod looks great.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 27, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Did you check in My Documents\My Games\New Vegas?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Load up GECK, and set the last mod of the WMX pack I use as active:

delta534 posted:

I would install this then try again. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41642/

Without it, the geck does not allow an esp to be a master and will cause numerous issues.

That's cool; I didn't realise there was a fork to the GECK Power-up that let you just straight-up load esp files as masters like that. Because yeah; normally you have to temporarily 'esmify' an esp in FNVEdit first (by enabling the ESM flag in its header) if you want to use it as a master in the GECK.

And that's what's likely causing most/all of the problems you're seeing, like delta534 said; WeaponModsExpanded.esp not being esmified. It's been an annoying thing going back to Oblivion at least; the game doesn't care if an esp is a master, but the CS/GECK/CK sure does.

So first chuck out the WMX-WRP plugin you altered and replace it with the one from the download, as it's probably broken. Then esmify WeaponModsExpanded.esp or use what delta534 linked to (I've never tried that myself though obviously), and then repeat what you did before. Also - if you didn't before - give it silenced gunshot sounds, and set up the '1stpersonstatic' records for it. Probably a good idea to open up the record for a weapon that already has a silencer weapon mod to refer to while making your changes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Antistar01 posted:

So first chuck out the WMX-WRP plugin you altered and replace it with the one from the download, as it's probably broken. Then esmify WeaponModsExpanded.esp or use what delta534 linked to (I've never tried that myself though obviously), and then repeat what you did before. Also - if you didn't before - give it silenced gunshot sounds, and set up the '1stpersonstatic' records for it. Probably a good idea to open up the record for a weapon that already has a silencer weapon mod to refer to while making your changes.

ESMified the .esp, replaced the edited .esp:

Hey progre-

:argh:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Again it's a bit hard to give advice without knowing exactly what you've been doing, but the first thing that comes to mind is setting up the 1stpersonstatic records for the mesh variants that need a silencer. They're what you see when the modified weapon is equipped by the player. It only uses the meshes linked to directly on the weapon record when the weapon is on the ground.

So you need to edit the 1stpersonstatic records it's already pointing at, or point it at new ones set up the way you want.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
edit: Read OP again and now I'm not as stupid.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2014

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Is there any patch to get FOOK-PN Convergence to work with Tale of Two Wastelands?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Purchased all the DLC stuff on sale, do I start a new character or continue with my lvl 30?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'd suggest doing them with the preexisting dude. I mean you'll definitely hit cap

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I've never really understood playing the game past like level 25. All your skills are maxed already, what's the point?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

It's because there's more to do. Also I don't know if you'd be done with all the plot stuff + dlc by 25.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I've never really understood playing the game past like level 25. All your skills are maxed already, what's the point?
There's just so goddamn much to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Does it let you set quotas of consumables and gear to keep on you and/or restock after it strips your inventory? This is my principal use of Sortamatic, to automatically restock/strip my character every time I go back to base.

You can exclude a weapon or armor from being sorted, but you can't stock them in specified quantities due to scripting limitations (NV doesn't expose the actual data behind inventory objects to scripting; there's no way to preserve things like durability, unless you move all of a type, all at once). So specific weapons and armor either get sorted into containers or they don't, there's no middle ground. That said, all other items can be stocked with specified quantities. Both the exclusion and stocking system use a hidden container as an interface, so if you wanted to always keep 100 rounds of .22lr on you, you'd open the stocking system, and just add 100 rounds to it (or remove them if you wanted to no longer stock them). The system is smart enough that all these items are virtual (not real game items), so you don't actually lose anything.