Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Volmarias posted:

Have you entrapped anyone yet?

Just Quicksand. He doesn't know it yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Billy the Mountain posted:

No. Fresh deployment of a brand new machine. No restore points yet.

So reinstall Office?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Entropic posted:

So reinstall Office?

I can't. It came preloaded. When I try to download it from the Microsoft store I get the same error as when I try to install Access. Error is 30174-4.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I can't. It came preloaded. When I try to download it from the Microsoft store I get the same error as when I try to install Access. Error is 30174-4.
Have you tried this article? There's an Office 2013/365 removal tool in there that might help.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

blackswordca posted:

Just Quicksand. He doesn't know it yet though

Luckily, I keep all my things in this handy cardboard box, just in case!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
An out of hours ticket came in...

A user basically said 'an entire system is down :supaburn:'

On the one hand, I recall a ticket from this site of a similar issue, so perhaps it happened again, it's not a site I work at so I figured I look it up on the helpdesk and see what's going on...

On the other hand my spidey sense was tingling and I was pretty sure this user was exaggerating the problem to get help

So I called back with every intention of refusing to help the user unless they did exactly as I asked to ascertain exactly what was wrong (bearing in mind this wasn't a network I could remote into a fix anything, the options were, I talk you through it or I call out a local guy which is £££ on a Sunday)

Luckily for the user the problem had magically fixed itself (probably with a restart)

I'm new to the on call rota, amusingly every 5 week (There are 5 of us on call) the same guy sends an email that someone somewhere isn't following the process and getting the Duty Manager to call us (they are supposed to)

I figured seeing as every call I had this weekend didn't have the Duty Managers blessing I thought I'd send a group email too... I'm not usually one to complain but if that person had asked the Duty Manager to authorise the call I'm sure they would have said 'try turning it off' or 'just use another PC for now'

But hey what do I care, that's some nice call out charges in my pocket.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Right before it was time for us all to start heading home on Friday afternoon the reports server for our (crappy) ERP system decided to poo poo itself so that no one could get any information out of the system and a lot of people couldn't put anything into it either. Not a good situation to be in on a Friday afternoon.

So while we're scrambling to figure out what is going on my boss sent out a building wide e-mail to let everyone know that poo poo be hosed up, yo. Maybe five minutes later someone pages an IT member to the production floor (I do on site tech support at a manufacturing plant). All of us get really irritated because people know they're not supposed to page us unless it's an emergency and that's why we have ways to contact us all by e-mail and phone. So I drop what I'm doing (reminder: helping to get a major computer system running again) and go out to the production floor and it is one of my least favorite people.

"The computers aren't working," she says to me. To get the proper feel for the situation it helps to imagine this woman as sounding a lot like (and looking a bit like) Roz from Monsters Inc.

I let her know that we are all aware and in fact my boss had just sent out an e-mail about the situation a few minutes ago. It's being worked on, sorry about the downtime blah blah blah.

"Oh I saw the e-mail but the computers aren't working so we can't enter our bookings."

She knows that the system that is down is what controls what she needs to do. She literally just told me to my face that she had called me out there just to tell me something that she knew I already knew. Why the gently caress would you go out of your way to waste the time of the guys trying to fix your problem? :psyduck:

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Have you tried this article? There's an Office 2013/365 removal tool in there that might help.

Thats exactly the artical the MS support duder was using. It does not work for this error. Nothing appears to work for this error. I see dozens of articles where MS support guys tell everyone experiencing this to "Run the Online Repair, and if that doesn't work use the Fix it tool to Completely remove then re-install". The problem is when you do that you cant re-install because of the same error that stops the repair job from running.

None of the MS support idiots know what to do after that step fails.

I jut tried a system restore to the morning before this all happened. Office is back on the machine but wont run, and the repair jobs in Programs and Features cant run either.

This poo poo has hosed this machine UP.

At least my Boss has my back on Monday when we have to tell the dude who owns this company "Sorry man, you guys aren't doing payroll after all this week!"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Seravadon posted:

"Oh I saw the e-mail but the computers aren't working so we can't enter our bookings."

She knows that the system that is down is what controls what she needs to do. She literally just told me to my face that she had called me out there just to tell me something that she knew I already knew. Why the gently caress would you go out of your way to waste the time of the guys trying to fix your problem? :psyduck:

Translation: "fix it right now because I'm an impatient, needy, entitled bitch and will undoubtedly try to make you look bad later for it"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They can't do payroll because one machine failed? That doesn't sound like it's Microsoft's fault.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Jeoh posted:

They can't do payroll because one machine failed? That doesn't sound like it's Microsoft's fault.

The machine had a working pre-installed version of Office. A Microsoft support guy completely hosed up this install to the point that there is no available method offered by Microsoft will allow Office to install properly on this machine. That is Microsoft's fault.

That this machine happens to be the one used by the lady who does Payroll and needs her excel sheets to do so is not Microsoft's fault, no.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The machine had a working pre-installed version of Office. A Microsoft support guy completely hosed up this install to the point that there is no available method offered by Microsoft will allow Office to install properly on this machine. That is Microsoft's fault.

That this machine happens to be the one used by the lady who does Payroll and needs her excel sheets to do so is not Microsoft's fault, no.

Stupid question but did you try re-installing?
I've been noticing that computers fresh from the factory with the factory image are quite frequently bonkered in very strange ways, usually re-installing windows helps.

Also I'm really starting to hate this bullshit windows license embedded in motherboard thing. Frequently factory images will fail to activate, and since the authentication should happen during the install this means you need to re-install windows! You can try to activate manually but it usually doesn't work.

Basically whenever you get a new computer you should re-install, but try explaining this to some old dude who just bought his first computer and gets confused by such concepts as a "mouse" or "cursor"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, at this point you should really just completely flatten and reinstall the machine; if that still doesn't work than Microsoft hosed up the associated account or something. If nothing else it should at least let you install Office as a limited trial, which should be enough to get payroll done and will buy you some time to unfuck things for next time.

Goddamn is Microsoft's activation poo poo ever a pain in the rear end, though, no argument there.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Ozz81 posted:

Translation: "fix it right now because I'm an impatient, needy, entitled bitch and will undoubtedly try to make you look bad later for it"

Oh most definitely this. Minus the making me look bad part. She wouldn't even know where to begin in an attempt to make me look bad. Especially since every time she uses the paging system to try to get help instead of going through proper channels she makes my boss the IT manager, dislike her more and more.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
We all know that sometimes you try to fix stuff and only make it worse.
poo poo happens, what would be way worse than that are the scrub supporters that refuse to touch things out of the fear to be blamed.

If production critical poo poo goes down, needs to be fixed ASAP and no documentation is to be found anywhere I generally do the fix on a VM. You can make a snapshot after each step so that if you gently caress something up you can go back in a second. You can have the user RDP or remote support in to show you how to use the software and once everything works (and is documented!) you can then replicate the fix on his physical machine.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 22, 2014

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Erwin posted:

This is not a good thing. Why in the world do you think it's a good thing? Unless you also have phone support, email support is far worse than sitting in a phone queue. At least once you get someone on the phone, you know they will begin to work on your problem.

You sound like someone who has never had to phone Quickbooks support, or Microsoft support for that matter. Actually I will throw Toshiba support in there as well. For Toshiba support it is faster and easier to just file the fault with the contact support link on their webpage than the toll free 24 hour phone number.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Phone support lines are actually designed to piss you off and get you to hang up so they don't actually have to help you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Varkk posted:

You sound like someone who has never had to phone Quickbooks support, or Microsoft support for that matter. Actually I will throw Toshiba support in there as well. For Toshiba support it is faster and easier to just file the fault with the contact support link on their webpage than the toll free 24 hour phone number.

You'll need phone calls and emails to get a refund out of AT&T. Possibly a court order. Even if they never installed the line they've been billing you for and have since ported the number to another carrier.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Xik posted:

How many folks here use Service Desk? I started in a role a couple months ago that uses R12 and it's pretty much the worst piece of software I've ever used.

(It's a great role and the organisation/people are amazing so it makes up for it)

I used to really dislike Service Desk, then we "upgraded" to something called Assyst by Axios. This is by far the worst software I've ever seen. I'm not sure how much is due to this program being configured incorrectly, or because it was chosen to appease a single group at the expense of literally everyone else using it.
This is how bad it is in comparison to Service Desk:
To open a task/change order in SD: Click on Change Queue, click on the task in my queue, read task.
To open task/change in Assyst: Click on change queue. Try to identify task in list, but program doesn't show the change order number, it shows who opened it, and then somewhat arbitrary numbers assigned to the task. Select this task, go to other part of window, select a different tab, in that tab you can expand a collapsed list to get the actual change number. From there, clicking on it will show a small preview on the right side of the screen, but if you need more detail, you have to open the full task, which is usually a double click on the number. Sometimes when closing this change, I will get another task that essentially asks if I'm sure. Sometimes closing that will give me another task the asks if I'm really sure I did it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

mllaneza posted:

You'll need phone calls and emails to get a refund out of AT&T. Possibly a court order. Even if they never installed the line they've been billing you for and have since ported the number to another carrier.

Threatening to cancel (as long as it isn't abused) can do wonders sometimes. 95% of the phone jockeys that work cancellation are long past the point of caring and usually took care of my problems.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I really like the ticketing system we use, it's developed in house and the ui looks pretty terrible.
But the good stuff is that the windows keep changing sizes so you can't just quickly glance at your tickets to find a particular one and they keep jumping folders or sometimes they disappear completely leaving you with no real way to find them unless you remember the 12 digit number.
Then there's also the fact that when logging tickets it will sometimes just delete all the text (or, strangely enough, precisely half the text)

It also freezes frequently.

But when it works it's almost fine! There's just lots of little fiddly bits, like you have to put in three different error codes so if a computer isn't booting you got to put in, like, error 001 in one drop down menu (well, series of menus) where you go like general error -> software error -> boot errors -> no post, no image
Then you look up the same or a similar error in a spreadsheet where it will be filed under hardware and put that in the ticket.
After that, there's still another general error code thing where you just pick what part the error is associated with, like OS, Software, hdd, gpu, mobo etc.
Great fun!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Some sort of forums database issue came in...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Some sort of forums database issue came in...

This is affecting production!

That's what you get when you use MS Access though.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I work from home and it is summer. My son came into my office and watch over my shoulder for a minute.

:) What are you doing dad?

:stare: Oh just updating cases.

:) What?! They won't pay you a lot of money for that!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A party loving bash came in.

Apparently I picked the right IT shop to work at. According to certain publications, literally so.

Free food. Free beer. CIO dancing to hip-hop.

Just don't wake me. Please.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

baquerd posted:

This is affecting production!

That's what you get when you use MS Access though.
Let's just throw an Excel file on Dropbox. We can download it, add our posts, then put it back.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Knormal posted:

Let's just throw an Excel file on Dropbox. We can download it, add our posts, then put it back.

Ok but I'm going to rename my version just to be safe.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Heners_UK posted:

Ok but I'm going to rename my version just to be safe.

I'm going to save it locally to a thumb drive because I don't trust the network. Then I'll blame IT when it becomes corrupt and can't be recovered!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

mysteryberto posted:

I'm going to save it locally to a thumb drive because I don't trust the network. Then I'll blame IT when it becomes corrupt and can't be recovered!

I'd better print it and write my edit on in pencil (don't want to commit to ink)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Heners_UK posted:

I'd better print it and write my edit on in pencil (don't want to commit to ink)

Scan it back in and save to pdf whenever you want to share a post.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

mysteryberto posted:

Never fear! Datavail can recover anything.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I need help figuring out what to do.

I'm basically help desk plus (I think my title is Desktop Support). I take tougher calls, help with non basic issues on laptops that are brought in, and go to do any desk support. The student who works the morning help desk shift is very nice, but as the summer goes on her notes are getting worse and worse. Now I get sticky notes that say the persons name and their extension, with no explanation as to what is wrong whatsoever, and when she tells me I need to go help someone and I ask where they are, she can sometimes tell me the building but never anything more specific. It's getting really frustrating, but I'm not sure whether to go to my boss because the student is also ESL, and that makes me feel bad but I'm still angry about extremely vague tickets!

E: I've replaced six printers this week. gently caress printers.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sounds like she's burned out and just can't be hosed anymore. ESL isn't an excuse to not get basic information. Don't understand the problem? State that in the notes for whoever will work the ticket. But if she had enough English that she could get the info when she started, and doesn't do that now... no. Bad. Either talk to her and explain the issue, or start searching for a replacement.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Since the forums were down, I had lots of unproductive time on my hands, so I decided to build a proof-of-concept shitposting rig:

6 monitors on a small form factor Optiplex 7010. Runs on two of the add-in AMD cards that come with them, and two displayports on the Intel motherboard graphics.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

CitizenKain posted:

I used to really dislike Service Desk, then we "upgraded" to something called Assyst by Axios. This is by far the worst software I've ever seen. I'm not sure how much is due to this program being configured incorrectly, or because it was chosen to appease a single group at the expense of literally everyone else using it.

You know it's poo poo if it makes Service Desk look good by comparison. Is it some kind of rule that all systems aimed at "enterprise users" need to have terrible front-ends?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xik posted:

You know it's poo poo if it makes Service Desk look good by comparison. Is it some kind of rule that all systems aimed at "enterprise users" need to have terrible front-ends?

The people who have to use them don't have to sign the POs for them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Modern technology can work well, sometimes:

I was trouble-shooting my posh coffee machine with Philips via an online chat. He was able to give me a link to a web page showing a potential solution to the problem. Quick and easy.

Because it was via chat, I felt I was able to walk to the kitchen, try the solution, come back and report - without feeling guilty about making him wait 4 mins between each interaction.

and the really fancy part: I took a video clip of the machine running, uploaded it to youtube and sent him the link: so he could clearly see the problem for himself.

Almost like Teamviewer for domestic goods.

Quite slick, really.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A termination came in... (not mine!)

I work at an MSP and spend a lot of time at one client, who is growing pretty rapidly. I've been working with this client since the end of September, and in that time I've known of two people getting canned. This is the second guy.

I wasn't there yesterday but I was on Gchat with the office manager, who was working from home. She gave me a heads up that the termination request was incoming, and it was immediate.

Apparently the guy was let go around lunchtime, stormed out, and slammed a handful of change on the floor as he left.

The change will have to be mailed to him.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A termination came in... (not mine!)

I work at an MSP and spend a lot of time at one client, who is growing pretty rapidly. I've been working with this client since the end of September, and in that time I've known of two people getting canned. This is the second guy.

I wasn't there yesterday but I was on Gchat with the office manager, who was working from home. She gave me a heads up that the termination request was incoming, and it was immediate.

Apparently the guy was let go around lunchtime, stormed out, and slammed a handful of change on the floor as he left.

The change will have to be mailed to him.

I was asked to submit my resignation to my current employer so that my replacement could be hired when I transfer to the primary contractor on July 14. Our PM comes over to me yesterday and casually says "So, I heard you submitted your resignation. Got any plans after you leave?" and my heart stopped for a second until I realized he was having a little fun. He cracked a smile and started laughing when he saw my expression. I swear, I almost had a heart attack on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was asked to submit my resignation to my current employer so that my replacement could be hired when I transfer to the primary contractor on July 14. Our PM comes over to me yesterday and casually says "So, I heard you submitted your resignation. Got any plans after you leave?" and my heart stopped for a second until I realized he was having a little fun. He cracked a smile and started laughing when he saw my expression. I swear, I almost had a heart attack on the spot.

Was the paperwork for you moving to the primary contractor not in place BEFORE you were asked to submit your resignation?

• Locked thread