Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Professor Moriarty posted:

Getting a CTD when trying to load my savegame. Loading bar fills, but before the stage starts the game crashes. Any ideas what to try? I'm on Win7 x64.

Is this an interim save? If it's not too far into the stage and you're in Story Mode, you could try starting it over from the Stage Select function. You shouldn't lose a handful minutes of progress, since most levels only last between ten and fifteen minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For folks who bought the game during the steam sale: Do the tutorial. It will save the headache over certain techniques.

EDIT: Why did they bother to give each Kingdom a tutorial level though? Don't they teach the same thing?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 22, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Unlucky7 posted:

For folks who bought the game during the steam sale: Do the tutorial. It will save the headache over certain techniques.

EDIT: Why did they bother to give each Kingdom a tutorial level though? Don't they teach the same thing?

So you can get an achievement for playing all of them. An achievement that was in the base version, but not XL.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Is this an interim save? If it's not too far into the stage and you're in Story Mode, you could try starting it over from the Stage Select function. You shouldn't lose a handful minutes of progress, since most levels only last between ten and fifteen minutes.

This worked. Thank you so much! Wouldn't have thought of it. Why would an interim save not be able to load, anyhow?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Does anyone have a rundown of what the bodyguard passive support skills actually do? The in-game descriptions aren't always the best. GameFAQs has an explanation of weapon skills but I can't find one for the bodyguards. Like, there's two different skills that heal from low health? Just advice on the best ones is fine too.

That is if there even exists a better option than getting three guys that give Musou refills at near death and non-stop True Musouing your way through everything :supaburn:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Professor Moriarty posted:

This worked. Thank you so much! Wouldn't have thought of it. Why would an interim save not be able to load, anyhow?

Sometimes these can be a bit dodgy, I never really figured it out myself either. Similarly, before the most recent patch there used to be a very common CTD glitch that happened when you go through the same loading screen, except it triggered when switching characters in the middle of a pre-battle Camp session. So if you wanted to switch characters in Camp, you had to just suck it up and restart the stage completely--which wasn't much of a problem, since the stage hadn't even properly started yet. With save/loading glitches, at worst, you just gotta try to work around them. This seems to affect in-stage loading more often than not. Out-of-battle saving, like in between chained battles in Ambition Mode and for post-battle progress autosaves, seems to be trouble-free.

When the character-switching crashes got fixed in the latest patch, I'd have hoped other quicksave glitches were ironed out, but I guess not. It's not a dealbreaker, though. Interim saves are convenient when they work the way they ought to but it's not too much lost time if they don't.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Having just gotten through the Wei story, I can now see why people say the storytelling is better in 7. They took pretty much all of the emotion out of it in 8. I'm sure the ability to select from different officers is one reason for this. Fan Castle was a pretty charged stage in 7 since it was basically about how much Xiahou Dun wanted to kill Guan Yu but in 8 it's kind of just another stage since it has to incorporate 4 playable officers.

Yeah I know I'm analyzing the writing of a game about mindlessly hacking away 1000s of dudes but it is based on a classic drama and 7 definitely had more feeling to it. 8 doesn't even have a Cao Cao death scene.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I think you meant Sima Shi? Sima Yi has the horsehair whip. All three own though.

Yeah Sima Shi, I get the Sima dudes mixed up.

Allarion posted:

Basically every Jin character is the best. I had an amazing moment of glee with Jia Chong when I realized I had thrown more axes than I needed to, and then suddenly there was just a storm of axes juggling everyone around me, reaching an absurdly high chain for a non-rage/musou attack.

I wouldn't worry too much about leveling the skills, you generally max them out eventually anyways. Quick learner in particular you don't really need given you can unlock buying level-ups in ambition mode.

I gave Jia Chong a whirl because of this and holy gently caress. I just racked up a 3600+ chain by just mashing strong attack as fast as I could. This dude loving owns :getin:

E: Jesus I can go from empty Rage to full in like thirty seconds by mashing his strong-strong EX. I might have to switch to this guy for my Ambition Mode, just because of the fact that he can loving murder-butt with axes to get Rage super fast to mow down every enemy ever.

E2: MOTHER. OF CHRIST. If I throw a couple EX attacks into a crowd then hit Musou, my Musou bar will (more than) refill by the time I'm done with the attack. I just did six Musous in a row, just because I could. This guy is completely loving bonkers. Anyone got any good competition for "best/most bullshit character in the game?" I don't know how someone can top Jia Chong and his ability to fill his Rage bar fully this fast, and to chain back to back Musous almost indefinitely.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 22, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So how is Ken's Rage 2? I've always wanted to give it a play but ugh, $50 on PSN and everywhere online it's like $40+ or so because importing or other shenanigans. I was thinking about even setting up a game share or something since hey, if I can find someone else interested then we'll both get it for cheaper than you'll likely find elsewhere. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Magres posted:

Anyone got any good competition for "best/most bullshit character in the game?".
I don't think anyone else even comes close to how bullshit Lu Bu and Jia Chong are, but most women have pretty good weapons, especially Zhang Chunhua.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jia Chong sounds like a good candidate for a Flurry/Velocity/Chain weapon build.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yardbomb posted:

So how is Ken's Rage 2? I've always wanted to give it a play but ugh, $50 on PSN and everywhere online it's like $40+ or so because importing or other shenanigans. I was thinking about even setting up a game share or something since hey, if I can find someone else interested then we'll both get it for cheaper than you'll likely find elsewhere. :v:

It's really bad. You know how usually the first game in an 'anime warriors' series is a prototype and they improve massively on it for the sequel? The only thing they improved in Ken's Rage 2 was to make combat a bit quicker, almost everything else is worse than the already not that great original. The story mode goes through the FotNS manga with a fine-tooth comb, which means that you're either watching 30 mins of motion comic cutscenes in between 2 minutes of such thrilling stuff as 'kill as many dudes as you can in the time limit' (annoyingly you can easily kill them faster than they spawn) before going back to 30 minutes of story or you're skipping everything to get to the DW combat without DW structure.
They also chucked the cool 'What If' scenarios from the first game for a boring prequel where virtually everyone with the same style plays the same stages.
Also they added tons of stuff no-one cares about from FotNS 2 which is terrible.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sakurazuka posted:

It's really bad. You know how usually the first game in an 'anime warriors' series is a prototype and they improve massively on it for the sequel? The only thing they improved in Ken's Rage 2 was to make combat a bit quicker, almost everything else is worse than the already not that great original. The story mode goes through the FotNS manga with a fine-tooth comb, which means that you're either watching 30 mins of motion comic cutscenes in between 2 minutes of such thrilling stuff as 'kill as many dudes as you can in the time limit' (annoyingly you can easily kill them faster than they spawn) before going back to 30 minutes of story or you're skipping everything to get to the DW combat without DW structure.
They also chucked the cool 'What If' scenarios from the first game for a boring prequel where virtually everyone with the same style plays the same stages.
Also they added tons of stuff no-one cares about from FotNS 2 which is terrible.

drat, that's a shame. I remember getting really mixed replies any time I had the chance to ask about it before, so this just sort of continues to give more weight to the "Not good" side. I wish it was at least cheaper, maybe then it'd be possible to give it one of those 'Good for what it is' buys, but forget anything substantial ($50 especially) if it's just plain old bad.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shima Honnou posted:

1: Lu Bu
2: Everyone else

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688499-dynasty-warriors-8/67959135

Lu Bu is not even in the top 3 tiers like in previous games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Palladium posted:

Sima Yi has top tier cackling.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hosed up trying to copy over my previous progress from the Vita version via a trainer and unlocked every single character in the game. Is there a registry key or something to erase all my progress and unlocks, because just deleting the folder in My Documents doesn't seem to work.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Palladium posted:

Lu Bu has inherent Hyper mode but that's tied to his musou and therefore not all that reliable. The other big gamebreaker thing about him is actually his weapon switch, which anyone can make use of regardless of affinity.

Also his EX moves are pretty bad.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I don't think Lu Bu was top tier even in DW6 and 7. He certainly wasn't in DW5, that belonged to Ma Chao back when he was unstoppable on a horse.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I haven't played a Warriors title since Orochi 1. Is the Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Edition a good game? Seems like it has a lot of content.

Also is the last Orochi game available on PC at all?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I haven't played a Warriors title since Orochi 1. Is the Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Edition a good game? Seems like it has a lot of content.

Also is the last Orochi game available on PC at all?

Mechanically it's pretty much the best Musou has ever been. It's got nothing on Orochi in terms of content though, but what does?

Orochi 3 is not available on PC, unfortunately.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The tier list broke my brain, I had no idea certain characters were so good (like SSX and Huang Zhong). I was using Cai Wenji on a horse to clear everything though.

(Just play anyone you want, they're all awesome in their own way, maybe except for Li Dian)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Pierson posted:

I hosed up trying to copy over my previous progress from the Vita version via a trainer and unlocked every single character in the game. Is there a registry key or something to erase all my progress and unlocks, because just deleting the folder in My Documents doesn't seem to work.

In Complete Edition everyone is unlocked out of the box, it has nothing to do with what you did.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

It's really cool and if it's still on sale you should get it. I paid full price for it a couple months ago and feel like I got my money's worth.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Palladium posted:

According to that guy anyway. There are some serious flaws with that tier list. Guo Jia is really just kind of OK and takes too much work by comparison to others to get him to be above average. Pang De is actually poo poo other than his second Musou.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The guy also has videos that explain more in the description (including weapon setup), and seeing is kind of believing.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1fw1cNGELvqRYrHJ1EvMDLrAqBo4rkbx

Apparently DW8XL drastically changes things up though
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730572-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends-complete-edition/68914970
Some dude somewhere in the 40s finally got a straight answer as to why - cyclone was changed so that it doesn't break guard, but to deal damage to guard.

The thing with the tier lists (plural, since these have a long history) drawn up in GameFAQs is that it presupposes that one is playing near perfectly with maxed weapons and stats and abusing the one or two moves with the weapon that takes advantage of said setup - this probably isn't the case for the vast majority of players, who will not have maxed weapons/stats, want to use more than one move, and not playing on the hardest difficulty.

The "theory" behind those lists is pretty much drawn up in section 8 of this guide from DW5
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/925558-dynasty-warriors-5/faqs/41300

So I'll happily enjoy boat-surfing over here in my corner.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 22, 2014

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also, this game doesn't have AA built in it seems

There's instructions here on how to force it if you have a Nvida card
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8:_Xtreme_Legends

Also can enable SSAO, which I did. The game isn't clearly built for it though - some scenes end up with completely black character faces.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Should I complete each campaign first so I get some stronger weapons before tackling the secret objectives and hypotheticals or just do them after completing the campaign they belong to/?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Davincie posted:

Should I complete each campaign first so I get some stronger weapons before tackling the secret objectives and hypotheticals or just do them after completing the campaign they belong to/?

If you want stronger weapons, play Ambition mode and fuse them yourself (you have to level up the blacksmith, which takes a bit of grinding). Storywise though I felt it was better to go through the "historical" campaigns first (Wei > Wu > Shu > Jin > :black101: LU BU :black101: ), then go back and do the hypotheticals in whatever order. I started playing Ambition Mode about halfway through Shu, but it would have helped me from getting stuck at a few points during the other campaigns.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Dewgy posted:

If you want stronger weapons, play Ambition mode and fuse them yourself (you have to level up the blacksmith, which takes a bit of grinding). Storywise though I felt it was better to go through the "historical" campaigns first (Wei > Wu > Shu > Jin > :black101: LU BU :black101: ), then go back and do the hypotheticals in whatever order. I started playing Ambition Mode about halfway through Shu, but it would have helped me from getting stuck at a few points during the other campaigns.

That's my recommended order too. Just be sure to change the difficulty to something harder once you start blitzing through stages too easily or you have really powerful weapons. You can change difficulty mid campaign by going to Stage Select > Play All.

By the time you complete a story or two you should be ready for Hard mode, unless maybe you're new to the series.

Some hypothetical conditions can be a bitch to complete, but via Stage Select you can attempt them on an easier difficulty if it helps.

Also, play Ambition mode whenever you want, but just be warned it does get VERY grindy and it's not for everyone. I'd recommend doing as many Stories as you can first.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So I'm playing Ambition on the PC port and I finally got the duel with Lu Bu and co., killed them all... just to find out that I capped out 500/500 half way through the fight and the only notable character I actually got was Dong Zhou. gently caress.

gently caress.

It's a shame they haven't put in proper multiplayer for the PC port, I forgot how much I liked these massacre simulators.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Chocobo posted:

So I'm playing Ambition on the PC port and I finally got the duel with Lu Bu and co., killed them all... just to find out that I capped out 500/500 half way through the fight and the only notable character I actually got was Dong Zhou. gently caress.
Ones you don't pickup in a duel show up as leaders scattered randomly through the other battles, so you'll run into them again eventually.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

lurksion posted:

Ones you don't pickup in a duel show up as leaders scattered randomly through the other battles, so you'll run into them again eventually.

Not only that, there's guaranteed to be one available in each set of battles, so you can pick them up fairly quickly once your cap increases.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I got dynasty warriors 8 in the steam sale just so I can play co-op. How the hell do I play co-op?

The UI controls are a nightmare. In ambition mode it says Player 2 press F12 to join, but then I press that and then no button except accept and cancel work, and accept just says "someone has already chosen that character"

No clue how to play coop story mode

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Fattest PI posted:

I got dynasty warriors 8 in the steam sale just so I can play co-op. How the hell do I play co-op?

The UI controls are a nightmare. In ambition mode it says Player 2 press F12 to join, but then I press that and then no button except accept and cancel work, and accept just says "someone has already chosen that character"

No clue how to play coop story mode

It's local co-op only so you'll need a second gamepad or to share your keyboard.

Which is hosed up, yes, and further proof that Koei Tecmo and Omega Force probably only released DW8 on Steam on a lark to test the waters. Because the only explanation I can see for DW8 having online co-op over PSN but not Steam is that they didn't even try.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I doubt online co-op was a very widely used feature anyway. It seemed kind of pointless to me.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I tried to fight Lu Bu and got one shot by his Musou on Normal...

Just like old times :getin:

Its interesting to see how the moves have gotten so much more ridiculous since DW4/Orochi 1 and Sengoku Basara appearing as competition. Cao Cao summoning ghost versions of himself to fight with him and such. Also nice to see they took the rage bar from SB and used it to give more musous.

Speaking of SB I'm assuming Utage is gonna be the last one...ever? I haven't played those since SB2: Heroes

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Cao Cao summoning ghost versions of himself to fight with him and such.

It's better than that: the general's sword summons spectral troops to fight. He summons minions out of nowhere to kill people for him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Scroll of War owns so loving hard

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scroll of War does, indeed, own. Why summon pretend spectral people when you can command pretend actual people?

I tried to fight Lu Bu and got one shot by his Musou on Normal...

Just like old times :getin:

Its interesting to see how the moves have gotten so much more ridiculous since DW4/Orochi 1 and Sengoku Basara appearing as competition. Cao Cao summoning ghost versions of himself to fight with him and such. Also nice to see they took the rage bar from SB and used it to give more musous.

Speaking of SB I'm assuming Utage is gonna be the last one...ever? I haven't played those since SB2: Heroes

Sengoku Basara 4 was released in Japan a couple months ago. The series is successful enough that Capcom's still making these games and they kill franchises at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Sengoku Basara 4 was released in Japan a couple months ago. The series is successful enough that Capcom's still making these games and they kill franchises at the drop of a hat.

This is true, but they also said they weren't localizing it anymore. At least, from what I've read in the thread in the past.