Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yo, I'm playing that Super Metroid and I'm stuck. I'm in Maridia, I got Power Bombs and Gravity Suit and Scanner Beam and I can't loving find the way to get to the boss. There's a sandy area with water that has locked doors, and no other routes to the boss symbol seem to exist. Where should I be and how can I get there?

i'm playing it on the Wii U so I can ask here right?
Could try asking on Miiverse too. Not sure how useful it is nowadays but I remember a lot of people posting screens of where they're stuck and random other players would reply with answers. It's nice cause the screenshot and game communities make it really context specific.

(Or take a screen cap and post the image here from the Miiverse web page)

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think when most people talk about input lag on VC, they're just surprised at how sluggish the original SMB really was.

The Gamepad should have almost no lag (one frame). Most modern TVs will actually have more lag than the Gamepad, even when you put them in game mode.
The gamepad is either one or two frames, I forget, but either way shouldn't be noticeable.

That said I do remembering seeing some posts about lag and some proof with video and Miiverse screenshots or something where you can see both screens at once (gamepad screen was behind for example). I'm not sure if VC stuff is an issue (or if it I might be for particular systems?), but I think the example used was NES Remix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

japtor posted:

That said I do remembering seeing some posts about lag and some proof with video and Miiverse screenshots or something where you can see both screens at once (gamepad screen was behind for example). I'm not sure if VC stuff is an issue (or if it I might be for particular systems?), but I think the example used was NES Remix.

I believe this issue is specific to NES/SNES VC games - the display is 1-2 frames behind the TV for some unexplained reason. It's not a limitation of the hardware, plenty of other games (including GBA VC games) seem to work just fine. I wish they'd just bite the bullet and get M2 to overhaul all that crap for them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

japtor posted:

(Or take a screen cap and post the image here from the Miiverse web page)

Hell, you don't even need to Miiverse it anymore. Just hit Home when you want to take a screenshot, go to the browser, go to Minus/Imgur whatever and hit upload. You can even pick which screen you want in the case of games allowing posting the same to Miiverse, it's pretty handy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I believe this issue is specific to NES/SNES VC games - the display is 1-2 frames behind the TV for some unexplained reason. It's not a limitation of the hardware, plenty of other games (including GBA VC games) seem to work just fine. I wish they'd just bite the bullet and get M2 to overhaul all that crap for them.

Yeah I'm not sure if there's any technical differences between it sending a video file and a game stream, but when I first got my Wii U we put the Gamepad next to the TV and played a YouTube clip with lots of fast scene changes and couldn't spot any difference between the two. It was pretty impressive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lego City Undercover just got a small update. Anyone know what it did?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Just got my buy 2 get 1 at Target. I got MK8, so it's really buy 2 get 2, but they did not stock up in anticipation at all. I got MK8 (they had plenty), SM3DW (last copy) and DK Tropical Freeze (last copy). I was the first, and only, one there and they had no idea there was a sale going on until the manager checked it. So glad I went early, although you could probably get Amazon to match it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Got my Wii U and stuff from Target too. Just stopping by to echo what Fremry said. My store knew about the sale and had sale flyers posted by the consoles and games, but supplies were low. There were only two consoles in stock and most of the games were running low too. A buddy of mine in Houston is telling me his store is clueless and totally sold out of 3D World.

tl;dr: if you want a Wii U and games from Target, go right now.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this setup. I'm to the point in the setup where I create a new NNID or link an existing NNID. I'm trying to link my existing NNID, the system tries to do something for a few seconds and then I get error code 102-2511 that says, "In order to use online services a system update is required. Go to system settings to perform a system update," but as far as I can tell I'm locked out of the console's settings at this point. :confused:

Seems like if you create a new NNID, the console will take you through the Mii creation process then give you a choice to create a new NNID at that point or link one later. Choosing later seems to have let me into the system!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this setup. I'm to the point in the setup where I create a new NNID or link an existing NNID. I'm trying to link my existing NNID, the system tries to do something for a few seconds and then I get error code 102-2511 that says, "In order to use online services a system update is required. Go to system settings to perform a system update," but as far as I can tell I'm locked out of the console's settings at this point. :confused:

Seems like if you create a new NNID, the console will take you through the Mii creation process then give you a choice to create a new NNID at that point or link one later. Choosing later seems to have let me into the system!

The account you set up to buy things on the 3DS is the same thing right? I set one up a while ago, and am still waiting on my Wii U to be delivered, so I'd like to use that one if it's the same thing.

Also, Nintendo just recently said that GBA and Nintendo 64 games will be coming to the Wii U virtual console. No other details than that.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

There's been GBA games on the Wii U VC for a while now?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fremry posted:

The account you set up to buy things on the 3DS is the same thing right? I set one up a while ago, and am still waiting on my Wii U to be delivered, so I'd like to use that one if it's the same thing.

Also, Nintendo just recently said that GBA and Nintendo 64 games will be coming to the Wii U virtual console. No other details than that.

Yep that's the NNID I'm planning to setup on this Wii U. It's just easy to get confused in an endless loop of bullshit because the system gives you the opportunity to link an existing NNID. But the trick is you need to connect to the internet to do that and the only way to get on the internet is to apply the latest system update and the only way to get the latest system update is to get to the console's main menu and it seems like the only way to get to the main menu is to setup an NNID. Choosing to create a new NNID doesn't actually make a new NNID, it just prompts you to make a Mii and tell the system you'll setup the NNID later. Whew that was a mouth full, but hopefully this helps anyone setting up a new system.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Fremry posted:

N64 games aren't around yet, but there are a dozen GBA games on the Wii U VC at the moment. It launched with three of them back in April.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mercury Crusader posted:

N64 games aren't around yet, but there are a dozen GBA games on the Wii U VC at the moment. It launched with three of them back in April.

Europe has 10 GBA games now, and we got Brain Training to start the DS stuff as well.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Dunno if it works in store, but on target.com smash bros preorder works in the 2 for 1 promo.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Crawfish posted:

There's been GBA games on the Wii U VC for a while now?

Gotcha, it looks like it was just weirdly worded. The quote says "future additions of GBA and N64 games", which led me to believe there weren't any GBA games, but it's just saying there will be more.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8887/20140622/nintendo-64-games-will-make-jump-to-wii-u-virtual-console.htm

Wildtortilla posted:

Yep that's the NNID I'm planning to setup on this Wii U. It's just easy to get confused in an endless loop of bullshit because the system gives you the opportunity to link an existing NNID. But the trick is you need to connect to the internet to do that and the only way to get on the internet is to apply the latest system update and the only way to get the latest system update is to get to the console's main menu and it seems like the only way to get to the main menu is to setup an NNID. Choosing to create a new NNID doesn't actually make a new NNID, it just prompts you to make a Mii and tell the system you'll setup the NNID later. Whew that was a mouth full, but hopefully this helps anyone setting up a new system.

Thanks. That's actually very helpful because I saw someone have this problem earlier, but I didn't see an answer on how to bypass it without making a new NNID (unless I skimmed over it). I'm hoping my Wii U will be up to date because it's a direct from Nintendo refurb, but who knows.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
What are some good external storage options for the Wii U? I got the basic set last year before it was discontinued but I'm quickly running out of space after downloading Wind Waker HD.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Literally any USB 2.0 external hard drive and a Y-cable if it doesn't come with one.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Pawl posted:

What are some good external storage options for the Wii U? I got the basic set last year before it was discontinued but I'm quickly running out of space after downloading Wind Waker HD.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but any cheap USB external drive.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pawl posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B0041OSQBG This is what I use. 2 terabytes is probably overkill for a Wii U. Make sure the hard drive can plug into an outlet.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

greasyhands posted:

Dunno if it works in store, but on target.com smash bros preorder works in the 2 for 1 promo.

Sorry, but can we get some clarification on this? A while ago I preordered Smash Bros. from Target for $1 (they hold it behind the desk and you pay when it releases) for their $15 off deal. Are you saying now that you can do 2 $1 preorders and get a $50 game for free? I assume I'm misunderstanding because that seems like it couldn't be true.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
How easy is it to get Amazon to price match 2 for 1 deals? Would be sweet if you could do Smash+Bayo2+Xenoblade Chronicals.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

How easy is it to get Amazon to price match 2 for 1 deals? Would be sweet if you could do Smash+Bayo2+Xenoblade Chronicals.

Get on chat and see if you can get them to do it and then report back. Be our guinea pig.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not sure you can price match pre-orders.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

greasyhands posted:

The people at my store said it wouldn't work because the in store preorder isn't actually a purchase.

edit: and SM3DW isn't available online

the truth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 22, 2014

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Welp, all the money I'm saving on the Steam sale having nothing I want is already gone on Wii U games. I'm kinda thinking about getting a pro controller if anything I have sucks for a second player using a wiimote and nunchuk. I saw folks talk about them being $25 on Play Asia, but has anyone gotten someplace like Target or Walmart to match it?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pawl posted:

Just get a flash drive for 10 bucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just have to say the Wii U has turned me into a Nintendo fan.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Flash drives or usb SD card readers do work, but they can have corruption issues in a year.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Fremry posted:

Get on chat and see if you can get them to do it and then report back. Be our guinea pig.

Well I emailed their customer support, gave them a link showing Smash Bros is eligible for buy 2 get one free online and it is a pre-order. Amazon owes me as far as I'm concerned due to them not giving me the free game for pre-ordering PS4 games, I made sure to politely mention that. Everyone says how good Amazon's customer service is but I've only had bad experiences, here is their chance to change my opinion.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I had forgotten how punishing hero mode in wind waker is. Just managed to brute force my way past Dragon Roost after many attempts. But hey at least I have four hearts now!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Well the perfect storm of the B2G1 deal which includes Smash, MK8 offering a bonus game, and $200 systems has made me a Wii U owner. The main attraction is that I think the games are simple enough for my husband to get into and there are some enticing local multiplayer/co-op options. Other than Atari and original Mario, the only games he's enjoyed are Angry Birds and Peggle. I tried to get him to play Portal 2 co-op, but he couldn't move and aim at the same time. I had a good experience in the past with getting an old friend into games with Mario Galaxy, so I'm hoping lightning strikes twice.

The worst outcome if it collects too much dust in our house is it becomes a very expensive birthday/Christmas gift for my niece, who would love it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've got 70 coins in the Nintendo Club right now for registering Mario Kart 8, and have six other games to register. Should I register them now, or wait until after July 1st? I don't really understand how any of that works yet. Am I gonna lose all my coins in a few weeks? Would I only lose Gold\Plat status? What the hell do I get with Gold\Plat anyway and what's even on offer without them?

Can I spend these coins on Virtual Console games and then come in here and get real unbearable about how they don't play like the real thing, which I totally have, no more then you, trust me, dawg?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Can you just use the SD card slot for game storage on Wii U? 32gb is enough for me and relatively cheap these days

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEk9CTwXQ

I unironically love Miiverse.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

gay skull posted:

Can you just use the SD card slot for game storage on Wii U? 32gb is enough for me and relatively cheap these days

IIRC, you can only store games through USB, so you'd need an SD Card to USB dongle.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something: do the pack-in games come with a product registration code for Club Nintendo? I don't see one for my copy of NSMBU/NSLU. I'm 80 points short of platinum and really want to make the cut-off.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Thanks to the Target deal, I finally got around to picking up DK, 3D World, and MK8. The free digital copy of Wind Waker was a nice bonus.

Copper Vein posted:

I've got 70 coins in the Nintendo Club right now for registering Mario Kart 8, and have six other games to register. Should I register them now, or wait until after July 1st? I don't really understand how any of that works yet. Am I gonna lose all my coins in a few weeks? Would I only lose Gold\Plat status? What the hell do I get with Gold\Plat anyway and what's even on offer without them?

Can I spend these coins on Virtual Console games and then come in here and get real unbearable about how they don't play like the real thing, which I totally have, no more then you, trust me, dawg?

From July 1st to June 30th of the following year, the total number of coins you accumulate will decide your Gold/Platinum status. Getting either Platinum or Gold will give you an "Elite Status Award" from Club Nintendo. This page has a pretty comprehensive list of what kind of awards they offer. Ultimately, your status is only affected by the number of coins you accumulate in that span of time, not your running balance. For example, I currently have about 400 coins that I could spend, but have registered ~600 coins worth of games in the past year. Therefore, I qualify for Platinum status. That said, if you don't care about the awards, it doesn't matter when you register your games. The coins do not expire for two Club Nintendo (July 1st to June 30th) years* and can be used whenever you want towards the games that they cycle through monthly. Honestly, the prizes haven't been very good the past few years, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting Gold or Platinum.

* I originally thought they didn't expire, but mancalamania corrected me.

Edit:

motherbox posted:

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something: do the pack-in games come with a product registration code for Club Nintendo? I don't see one for my copy of NSMBU/NSLU. I'm 80 points short of platinum and really want to make the cut-off.

I don't think they do, unless they're digital copies.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 23, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Operative posted:

From June 30th to July 1st of the following year, the total number of coins you accumulate will decide your Gold/Platinum status. Getting either Platinum or Gold will give you an "Elite Status Award" from Club Nintendo. This page has a pretty comprehensive list of what kind of awards they offer. Ultimately, your status is only affected by the number of coins you accumulate in that span of time, not your running balance. For example, I currently have about 400 coins that I could spend, but have registered ~600 coins worth of games in the past year. Therefore, I qualify for Platinum status. That said, if you don't care about the awards, it doesn't matter when you register your games. The coins do not expire and can be used whenever you want towards the games that they cycle through monthly. Honestly, the prizes haven't been very good the past few years, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting Gold or Platinum.

This is super annoying because I get my Wii U on Tuesday, but the first game I want to play is NSMBU, but I need to register Mario Kart to do that, which means the points will only count for 7 days.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Was Need for Speed: Most Wanted recommended for the Wii U?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Was Need for Speed: Most Wanted recommended for the Wii U?

It's probably the best version you can buy except for the fact that it crashes a lot. I think the crashes mostly happen when you enter/exit the home menu though because once I stopped doing that it never crashed again. (After like 5 crashes in the first few hours)

I got 100% in it (except for breaking the billboards) a little while back and really enjoyed it. It comes with all the DLC from the other versions too I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Going to bite the bullet soon on a Wii U, BUT my problem is that I have a Visa debit card, I've been able to use this as a credit card literally anywhere except for 3DS purchases, so I ask here if anyone has any experience before I make a deposit, can I use a Visa debit card to buy the Wii U? I mean its a different structure so I assume I can.

• Locked thread