Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Re: footdragchat, I ride in rollerblades, best of both worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Re: footdragchat, I ride in rollerblades, best of both worlds

hahaha your dismounts must be faaaabulous

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
So here is some stupid motorcycle poo poo that happened recently. I took my 2009 Buell 1125r in for a valve check and sparkplug change to a local Harley Dealership (since they service buells). I know how to do valve checks and change plugs on this bike, and it is a PITA. You need to remove almost everything and rotate the engine 90 degrees. So gently caress that I paid a shop to do it. Well I go to pick up the bike, and Harley Davidson charged me almost 300 dollars over the quoted price. I went down list to see what cost so much, and they charged me 80 dollars for a plug change, which is impossible because you remove the plugs during the valve service. Then they charged me 100 dollars for "tuning" my ECM. Which also was impossible because I had it tuned through EBR while Harley had the bike for servicing. So then I go to get on the bike, and noticed the axle bolt was loose. I sent it back to the technician and he hit it with an air ratchet instead of a torque wrench. I rode it home, only to find out a valve gasket was loose, and all my oil was now on the ground, or dripping off my bike.

I sent it back a 2nd time, the bike was returned with no oil, and a huge dent in my frame. I took pictures of the dent (which is very noticeable as it goes past the powder coating and paint), then I called the GM of the dealership and met with her. After telling her the story and demanding my money back and something done about my frame, she said that I would get a phone call in a day or two. A week later I get a phone call from the service manager offering me 200 dollars for my trouble. I politely decline and leave a voice mail for the GM telling her I will only talk to her about the issue, and that half of the labor cost is nowhere close to the amount of money that needs to be reimbursed.

Where I stand on the issue now, is I'm sick of dealing with Harley Davidson's lovely customer appreciation. I will call my insurance company tomorrow and they will most likely file a lawsuit against them since frame damage totals a bike almost all the time.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Deeters posted:

Traffic law should take a hit from boating and make it so smaller, more maneuverable vehicles give way to the big, slow ones.

Container ships are actually supposed to give way to little sailing yachts :killdozer:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Jesus it's annoying when someone is going dogshit slow in the curves, then as soon as there's a passing zone and it straightens up they immediately speed up. Bieks are awesome so I just drop a gear but ugh.

Also went to Deal's Gap today, got stuck behind some Harley dude in a truck hauling his bike, didn't pull off once the entire way even though up to 8-9 bikes plus a couple cars were plodding along behind him. You'd think a rider would understand of all people. :sotw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Incursus posted:

dealership woes
That really sucks and is exactly why I try to do everything myself, but do you really think the bike would be totaled from the dent in the frame? Can you share the photo if you don't mind?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Jesus it's annoying when someone is going dogshit slow in the curves, then as soon as there's a passing zone and it straightens up they immediately speed up. Bieks are awesome so I just drop a gear but ugh.

Also went to Deal's Gap today, got stuck behind some Harley dude in a truck hauling his bike, didn't pull off once the entire way even though up to 8-9 bikes plus a couple cars were plodding along behind him. You'd think a rider would understand of all people. :sotw:

I went out for a little half hour ride to dry the bike off and on my only nearby good bit of road (a half-mile strtch with between two roundabouts, with two intermediate not-really-roundabouts (there's a roundabout but there's no side turnings off them), which sounds dull but is much more fun if you treat it like a mini Mulsanne, there somehow managed to be a car on each roundabout each time I came to it, and not a single one on the straights. It was just bizarre, I even pulled off onto another road and came back and exactly the same thing. Did a total of 6 both-way runs, and didn't get a clear shot at a single one of those roundabouts.

So then I came home and drunk beer in the back garden.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Incursus posted:

2009 Buell 1125r in for a valve check and sparkplug change

You need to remove almost everything and rotate the engine 90 degrees.

Your story sounds like it really sucks, so I'm sorry, but I just read this and have to go lol what the gently caress. Who designs a vehicle that way? That's as bad as the cab-forward Mopars where you have to take off the front wheels to remove the battery.

Tanbo posted:

A motorcycle or a car? Motorcycles doing it I guess are just squids, but I think that car people do it out of a misguided sense of "I'm helping!!" :downs:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Tanbo posted:

Pretty much every type of vehicle blocked me at least once but cruiser riders were the majority.

Most of the people I came up on didn't have a clue about the correct line and half couldn't hold a smooth line thru a corner.

There's some 129slayer pics of sone dudes in front of me looking like they 're riding hard and then me rolling thru behind them 1 handed.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Chichevache posted:

I was going through a green light today in my Honda Civic and I nearly t-boned a guy on his phone who just made a right turn right in front of me. I was going 45 mph (in a posted 45), so he probably wouldn't have been walking away from that accident if I had plowed into him.

Someone was telling me this morning how he watched someone texting on their phone veer on to the rumble strip, then back on the highway, then back on the rumble strip, then back on to the highway, then back on to the rumble strip, then in to the woods.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

slidebite posted:

That really sucks and is exactly why I try to do everything myself, but do you really think the bike would be totaled from the dent in the frame? Can you share the photo if you don't mind?

Any frame damage is usually an instant total because you need to take the entire bike apart to replace it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

That really sucks; heard many, many bad experiences from people needing a Harley dealer to do Buell stuff, though apart from being incompetent it seems they were also plain out to screw you over. I hope everything works out with the insurance.

Sagebrush posted:

Your story sounds like it really sucks, so I'm sorry, but I just read this and have to go lol what the gently caress. Who designs a vehicle that way? That's as bad as the cab-forward Mopars where you have to take off the front wheels to remove the battery.

It is ridiculous for sure, but I think people on forums have found out a way to do it without rotating the engine, and iridium plugs probably last long enough that you can replace them together with a valve clearance check. Still, never even having to check the valves is a great feature of the Harley-engined Buells.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Incursus posted:

terrible dealerships

How bad is the dent? I'd talk to your insurance company, and then get them to take their pound of flesh out of the dealership. Also, BBB, Harley Corporate, run that poo poo up the ladder, complain to the customer service rep, go nuts because seriously, gently caress them for doing that poo poo. If they returned it with no oil, who knows what the gently caress happened to it.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

slidebite posted:

I could post a photo, but it doesn't really do the damage proper justice. Also, normally ANY frame damage totals a bike just from the sheer man power hours of removing EVERYTHING from the bike to repair the damage. At least in the eyes of an insurance company. Lets say you need 40 hours to fix the damage. At 80 dollars an hour, that is 3200 dollars in just labor alone. Not including parts, paint, etc. My bike is only worth 4-5k.

Sagebrush posted:

It's actually not a bad design, it's about a 10 hour job, and needs to be done every 12k miles or so along with the plugs. I'm close to 24k miles and only done it once and on it's second set of plugs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would say that any regular maintenance item that requires you to remove the engine from the vehicle indicates a bad design, even if it comes up every 12,000 miles. Maybe on a racing superbike where you care much more about aerodynamics and weight and cramming things into the tiniest possible spaces it makes sense. For the average bike on the road, reliability and ease of maintenance should be near the top of the manufacturer's priorities.

Checking the valve clearance on a bike with easy access is like a 20 minute job. You say that on your bike it's more like 10 hours. Either that's 10 hours of your own time, or it's an extra 700~ dollars of shop time. You can't really deny that's a bad situation to be in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I would say that any regular maintenance item that requires you to remove the engine from the vehicle indicates a bad design, even if it comes up every 12,000 miles. Maybe on a racing superbike where you care much more about aerodynamics and weight and cramming things into the tiniest possible spaces it makes sense. For the average bike on the road, reliability and ease of maintenance should be near the top of the manufacturer's priorities.

Checking the valve clearance on a bike with easy access is like a 20 minute job. You say that on your bike it's more like 10 hours. Either that's 10 hours of your own time, or it's an extra 700~ dollars of shop time. You can't really deny that's a bad situation to be in.

I think he was saying just replacing the spark plugs was a ten hour job, which is just :stare: (given he said that it was about the same amount as work to replace the plugs as to do the valve clearances)

Stripping down and checking every component on MY APRILIA'S loom (60-odd sensors and actuators) cost me 8 hours labour. Buell have managed to make bike where a service item is harder to complete than fixing an Italian electrical problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xaarman posted:

Any frame damage is usually an instant total because you need to take the entire bike apart to replace it.

Sure, I get that, but replace it because of a dent? That's what I don't get. I understand it if the frame is no longer straight or tweaked.

Incursus posted:

I could post a photo, but it doesn't really do the damage proper justice. Also, normally ANY frame damage totals a bike just from the sheer man power hours of removing EVERYTHING from the bike to repair the damage. At least in the eyes of an insurance company. Lets say you need 40 hours to fix the damage. At 80 dollars an hour, that is 3200 dollars in just labor alone. Not including parts, paint, etc. My bike is only worth 4-5k.
Of course it's not your fault so I'd probably go after them too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

Sure, I get that, but replace it because of a dent?

Harley people.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Sure, I get that, but replace it because of a dent? That's what I don't get. I understand it if the frame is no longer straight or tweaked.

I think it's one of those things where it can be really hard/expensive to test whether it's just cosmetic or if it's compromised the frame, and it's usually just cheaper to total it out.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I want to know what the gently caress they were doing to dent your frame.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Trying to sell him a new Harley.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't that one of the Buell frames where the fuel tank is the frame and it's aluminum and people buy special sliders for them to protect them because it's disasterous if you drop it?

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe my idea of an easy job is different lol. Rotating the engine 90 degrees isn't hard, it's just time consuming as everything needs to be disconnected from the engine itself. Granted I'm also used to changing the cam chain and tensioner on my Husqvarna supermoto every 10k miles or so. So, now that I think about it, 8-10 hours for valve check and plug change is kinda lovely. However that being said, I think the bike was designed for winning races rather than touring or ease of access, but with that being said, it's still marketed to normal everyday people so I don't know. Not trying to defend EBR or anything, but I love me a superbike with torque.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't that one of the Buell frames where the fuel tank is the frame and it's aluminum and people buy special sliders for them to protect them because it's disasterous if you drop it?

Yeah the scratch/dent is right where the gas is held in the frame. I know usually when these things crash usually just the pods get wrecked, but sometimes the aluminum "tank" can get dented and messed up pretty bad.

Shimrod posted:

I want to know what the gently caress they were doing to dent your frame.

It was probably due to when he had to redo the entire job he did the first time, but without commission. My guess is that he was really pissed off and was careless. Probably hit it with an air ratchet or wrench or something while throwing a fit and being an rear end in a top hat. Just from seeing how the employees acted in front of me while I was there, it didn't give me much confidence in their professionalism in the back with no customers or managers around.

Incursus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 22, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Incursus posted:

lovely poo poo dealershit.

Jesus loving Christ, sue sue sue them for all they're worth. That is terrible and would never happen here. I can't believe that poo poo, how can you not give a gently caress to such a degree??

Sagebrush posted:

Don't ever buy a Ferrari. Or a Porsche. Or any FWD V6 vehicle made in the last decade.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The Harley engined ones had sliders on there, yeah. It's not really disastrous if it's dented, but how wide the frame is does mean it's very liable to get damaged in a spill, which seems like lovely design to me though I don't know how many other bikes are like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Don't ever buy a Ferrari. Or a Porsche. Or any FWD V6 vehicle made in the last decade.

I was really interested in getting a 928 someday until I learned that you have to change the timing belts like every 12k and in order to do that you have to drop the engine. lmao no.

But yeah, if you own a Ferrari you can afford to have the guy rotate the engine 90 degrees to change the oil or whatever, duh. Even the guy with the fanciest Ducati or most expensive bagger Harley they make, though, is only just starting to get into the price range of entry-level BMWs. There's no excuse for making a job that difficult on an inexpensive vehicle where for gently caress's sake you can literally reach in and touch the engine while you're riding it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Air-cooled non-turbo Porsches are actually pretty easy to work on once you wrap your head around the concepts of never doing any job the way common sense tells you. Also the VW belt change trick should work on them too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

One thing I've never understood is how main dealers can get away with charging 10-15% (hourly) more to work on bikes. Okay I know doing, say, valve adjustments on a Ducati is a complete pain in the arse but surely that's reflected in extra labour time, not having charging more for the same amount of time. It makes it all the more ridiculous now that (in the EU at least) warranty clauses demanding services are done at a main dealer are null and void, are they just relying on people being too dumb/lazy to actually look at what they're being charged?

(It's all the more ridiculous with multi-brand dealers - there's a big sign at metropolis in Vauxhall saying that there's an extra £15/hr charge to work on Triumphs. It's not even like they can claim that there's anything particularly special or exotic about them that would require some super-secret ninja training for the greasemonkeys, )

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was lucky enough to have access to really good mechanics with my Buell at my Harley dealership.

Sorry things suck at basically every other dealer.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Three things (which may or may not be criticisms of your riding because I can see scenarios where these might not have helped)

- Unless those cyclists were in a professional time trial you almost certainly overtook them pretty soon before the junction - depending on the relative speeds you should either have hung back behind them or been much more aware of them.
- When turning at an intersection you should be positioned such that it's nigh impossible for anyone to get up the inside of you. Not actually in the gutter but less than a shoulders-width from the edge of the road
- Lifesaver! Because even if you do those first two things right the cyclists could be utter, utter idiots who've just jumped out of a side street (or indeed are bombing along with pavement). Being in the right won't fix the damage to you or your bike.

No, both of the times of which I was thinking, I was already stopped at the intersection and they came from behind me. Part of the problem is that I don't look in my curb-side mirror before I turn and also I don't stop my bike right next to the curb, which is a good suggestion and I think I'm going to start doing that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HOLY poo poo THE FORUMS ARE BACK.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Twice in the last couple of weeks I've seen dipshits on bicycles trying to die.

First was youngish 20s probably. No helmet, just a t-shirt and shorts. She was lanesplitting through traffic in a construction zone during rush hour, blithely floating here and there into and between lanes. I was nearly certain I was going to see her die.

Last night a girl on a bike jaywalked her bike nearly into me, after having made eye contact with me, and seeing me going into the intersection, where I had a green light. I don't even know wtf. I slammed on the brakes mid-intersection, where she finally figured out I was prepped to "surmount" her and stopped.

gently caress Portland cyclists. For real.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Over here they're talking about making it legal to ride a pushbike without a helmet on the basis that they cause more injuries than they prevent/have no noticeable effect on injury statistics either way. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, cyclists are deathseeking morons who get to use the road and share the risks without having to pay the state accident insurance levy built into vehicle registration. On the other hand, cycle helmets seem utterly useless considering I've seen people crash bikes at pushbike speeds and avoid terrible injury by having helmets.

On the gripping hand, I want them all to be annihilated.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

First, it's a pedal bike. You don't push them unless they're broke. Second, bicyclist need to change their mindset that these brain buckets are good enough. They need to make a road bike style full face helmet. I don't think the downhill mountain bike helmets will cut it for ventilation and might be a little on the heavy side.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, these cyclists zoom along at 20-25 mph easy. If you are in a flat area, cruising at 20mph is nothing. Going down on a motorcycle or scooter at those speeds will completely mess you up. I don't know why they think it is different. It cannot be hard to design a well ventilated full face helmet when you don't have to account for speeds over 50mph.

Nobody would purchase it, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I know quite a few bicyclists who wear full face bicycle helmets. They're still the minority overall though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I know quite a few bicyclists who wear full face bicycle helmets. They're still the minority overall though.

For road biking? Not mountain biking?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

For road biking? Not mountain biking?

Yeah, Motomind rocks a full face for road bicycling, so do a few of my other friends. Those are the minority of the full face wearers though, you are correct.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Over here they're talking about making it legal to ride a pushbike without a helmet on the basis that they cause more injuries than they prevent/have no noticeable effect on injury statistics either way. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, cyclists are deathseeking morons who get to use the road and share the risks without having to pay the state accident insurance levy built into vehicle registration. On the other hand, cycle helmets seem utterly useless considering I've seen people crash bikes at pushbike speeds and avoid terrible injury by having helmets.

On the gripping hand, I want them all to be annihilated.

A friend of a friend of a friend got gently bumped by a city bus a couple of years ago while cycling (she tried to pass the buss on the curb side, just like what captainOrbital was talking about), lost her balance, fell and smacked her head on the sidewalk. Pronounced dead the day after, never regaining consciousness. Had she had a helmet, she would've gotten away with a grazed hand.

Adults are not legally required to wear a helmet while riding a bike here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
But she would have looked so dorky.

I ride a bicycle and wear nothing. I wear full gear every time I ride my motorcycle. I am aware that it makes no sense.