Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

This would certainly throw a wrench in the "be quiet when X group speaks" logic if you can step in and override a group's wishes if they are fundamentally incompatible with yours.

It's not "be quiet when X group speaks" like some kind of oppression hierarchy. It's "be quiet and learn if you don't know anything." It's not gay or black people's fault that most straight white American men feel entitled to speak from ignorance all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A black person complaining about white people is a person punching upwards, so the venting makes sense (white people oppress black people, black people don't oppress white people)

A straight person complaining about gay people is a person punching downwards, so they're just being a dickhole, which is the case of your fictional, homophobic, xenophobic Russian Girlfrien.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zelder posted:

A black person complaining about white people is a person punching upwards, so the venting makes sense (white people oppress black people, black people don't oppress white people)

A straight person complaining about gay people is a person punching downwards, so they're just being a dickhole, which is the case of your fictional, homophobic, xenophobic Russian Girlfrien.

I think that falls apart when you get down to individuals instead of societies or cultures. I mean if someones boss is race X and the boss denies a subordinate raises or promotions purely because that subordinate is of race Y the boss is being a racist regardless of the societal power balance between races X and Y, yes?

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think that falls apart when you get down to individuals instead of societies or cultures. I mean if someones boss is race X and the boss denies a subordinate raises or promotions purely because that subordinate is of race Y the boss is being a racist regardless of the societal power balance between races X and Y, yes?

Keep in mind that any time a white person is passed over for a promotion or not hired for a job/accepted to a college, etc they're already ready to blame affirmative action so that probably colors their perception of events such as your example. Let's also keep in mind that this example is invariably less common than a situation where the roles were reversed. I just can't make myself feel terribly concerned.

I guess you could examine the class aspect of it at that point. A wealthy minority could be accused of "punching down" at a poor white person, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum and it doesn't strip that white person of all their privilege suddenly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DeadmansReach posted:

Keep in mind that any time a white person is passed over for a promotion or not hired for a job/accepted to a college, etc they're already ready to blame affirmative action so that probably colors their perception of events such as your example. Let's also keep in mind that this example is invariably less common than a situation where the roles were reversed. I just can't make myself feel terribly concerned.

First off saying that all white people are immediately ready to blame AA when they don't get a promotion is just the same sort of thing that white racists say about blacks, stop treating an arbitrary group as a monolith. And yes, a black boss discriminating against a white employee is much rarer than the reverse, hence why there does not need to be a response from society as a whole such as programs like AA. But the rarity or commonality of that situation does not justify it, in either example the discrimination is wrong.

DeadmansReach posted:

I guess you could examine the class aspect of it at that point. A wealthy minority could be accused of "punching down" at a poor white person, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum and it doesn't strip that white person of all their privilege suddenly.

Of course it does not, but I am talking about individual actors and the interactions between them, just because the poor white in the example is coming from a place of racial privilege compared to their boss does not mean that the boss's discrimination on basis of race is justified.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DeadmansReach posted:

Considering how important your job/career is in our economic system, I think it's kinda weird you basically dismiss the position of power the boss has in that situation, just because the person in power in this case is a minority. Racial privilege isn't some magical thing that just trumps everything else, especially on the individual level.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Considering how important your job/career is in our economic system, I think it's kinda weird you basically dismiss the position of power the boss has in that situation, just because the person in power in this case is a minority. Racial privilege isn't some magical thing that just trumps everything else, especially on the individual level.

That's because the only point anyone in this thread is trying to make is "White people, BAD!"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bango skank posted:

That's because the only point anyone in this thread is trying to make is "White people, BAD!"

To be fair it's a really good point.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The kind of people who get honestly upset by a flippant "kill all white people" are worthy of mockery and should be ashamed of themselves.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

bango skank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9rXISqwEKM

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

My point was that even in these rare instances somebody may be upset at equal(ie NOT-privileged treatment) and call it discrimination. I love that people concede that genuine instances of this scenario are so uncommon that they aren't worth addressing at a system wide level, but apparently still worth moaning and hand-wringing over.

I'm waiting for somebody to unironically post that anti-racist means anti-white. :allears:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DeadmansReach posted:

I'm waiting for somebody to unironically post that anti-racist means anti-white. :allears:

And then calling for RaHoWa.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DeadmansReach posted:

My point was that even in these rare instances somebody may be upset at equal(ie NOT-privileged treatment) and call it discrimination. I love that people concede that genuine instances of this scenario are so uncommon that they aren't worth addressing at a system wide level, but apparently still worth moaning and hand-wringing over.
It is discrimination though. Only difference is that the minority boss' power comes from their position in the capitalist system, not their race or whatever. The capitalist system certainly is worth addressing at a system wide level, it's the single most powerful system in the world.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

My example was of a white person receiving fair and equal treatment but being upset because they are used to extra privilege. There is no discrimination here.

Now capitalism and classism are certainly huge issues, but they can be addressed at the same time as racism. Caring about two things at time, etc etc, also not really the topic of the thread.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

In what position would a white person have the reasonable belief that they didn't get the job promotion because of their race?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DeadmansReach posted:

My example was of a white person receiving fair and equal treatment but being upset because they are used to extra privilege. There is no discrimination here.
When did the example change? The one AVeryLargeRadish laid out was explicitly about a racial justification for not giving a raise/promotion. That someone believes this is impossible/unlikely/hard to prove doesn't change the facts of the hypothetical.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

It was to demonstrate that the example that we've agreed is very unlikely to actually happen is even more so when races X and Y are anything and white, respectively.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zelder posted:

In what position would a white person have the reasonable belief that they didn't get the job promotion because of their race?

Well probably the same as the reverse one except reverse? Like if they were more qualified than the other guy who got hired because he was the same race as the hirer.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ChairMaster posted:

Well probably the same as the reverse one except reverse? Like if they were more qualified than the other guy who got hired because he was the same race as the hirer.

Do you really think this happens a lot, though? I would say that the number of white people who experienced something like that (being genuinely more qualified but being passed over because they were white) is vanishingly small.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DeadmansReach posted:

It was to demonstrate that the example that we've agreed is very unlikely to actually happen is even more so when races X and Y are anything and white, respectively.
How is that relevant, when we're discussing the conceptual possibility of anti-white racism? That seems like the go-to trick to discussing that topic in this thread, to conflate the fact that it's very rare with the idea that it's an impossibility. Maybe people don't commit to writing it explicitly like that, but that is basically what people are doing.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Blue Star posted:

Do you really think this happens a lot, though? I would say that the number of white people who experienced something like that (being genuinely more qualified but being passed over because they were white) is vanishingly small.

Well no poo poo. Someone asked a stupid question so I gave them an answer.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How is that relevant, when we're discussing the conceptual possibility of anti-white racism? That seems like the go-to trick to discussing that topic in this thread, to conflate the fact that it's very rare with the idea that it's an impossibility. Maybe people don't commit to writing it explicitly like that, but that is basically what people are doing.

Yes, instead of talking about actual problems, let's wring our hands over the travails of an imaginary white man.

Where's that bingo card?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yes, instead of talking about actual problems, let's wring our hands over the travails of an imaginary white man.
That's not what I'm trying to do. Like, seriously, I don't care about the travails of an imaginary white man. I care about the fact that a lot of people in this thread believe his existence is an impossibility, which goes back to the whole mythologizing white people thing. White people aren't individually special, they just happened to come out on top. In a system where minorities can succeed enough to carve out places of power themselves, the idea that you can't see reversals of power relationships (as seen from the perspective of race), within limited boundaries, is mythologizing white people.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"Honey, I'm sorry to call with bad news, but I didn't get the promotion. I'm beginning to think that Ebony magazine might not be the right fit for me, John Van Der Smoot the 3rd."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not what I'm trying to do. Like, seriously, I don't care about the travails of an imaginary white man. I care about the fact that a lot of people in this thread believe his existence is an impossibility, which goes back to the whole mythologizing white people thing. White people aren't individually special, they just happened to come out on top. In a system where minorities can succeed enough to carve out places of power themselves, the idea that you can't see reversals of power relationships (as seen from the perspective of race), within limited boundaries, is mythologizing white people.

I agree that it's perfectly possible in theory for a black man to pick a black applicant over a white one out of prejudice. And if he did, it would be wrong of him to do that. I just don't understand the relevance to the conversation because we're talking about the way the real world works where the shoe is pretty much always on the other foot, and that's what black people like OP's friends are mad about, and the conceptual possibility of an exception happening somewhere doesn't change that.

You might as well say, "It's physically possible for a black person to enslave a white person, so what if white people were slaves, that'd be bad, huh?" okay...yes it would be...and?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This doesn't make a lick of sense. I keep re-reading it, but no.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This doesn't make a lick of sense. I keep re-reading it, but no.

Okay, imagine that you don't want to talk about a certain subject, so you raise every pedantic objection you possibly can.

Like, let's say for whatever reason you hate it when people talk about America's obesity crisis, so whenever it comes up and people start discussing a societal problem with phrases like "Americans are fatter than they were in 1979", you could go :goonsay: "Excuse me, not every single American is fat, and there are probably people alive today who are skinnier than they were in 1979, so please stop generalizing because what you're saying doesn't apply to every single person in America."

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the conceptual possibility of anti-white racism?

Hahaha, this is exactly the point.

Frankly I'm concerned that nobody has addressed the serious issue discrimination by dwarves against able bodied white men. Why, I was denied a position in a local Micro Championship Wrestling league just this week!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Okay, imagine that you don't want to talk about a certain subject, so you raise every pedantic objection you possibly can.

Like, let's say for whatever reason you hate it when people talk about America's obesity crisis, so whenever it comes up and people start discussing a societal problem with phrases like "Americans are fatter than they were in 1979", you could go :goonsay: "Excuse me, not every single American is fat, and there are probably people alive today who are skinnier than they were in 1979, so please stop generalizing because what you're saying doesn't apply to every single person in America."

Now I think I understand, he's saying "ah ha, whites are so powerful? You must be saying we're mythically powerful beings." As if the power of Rockefellers rubs off on Dog the Bounty Hunter or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Now I think I understand, he's saying "ah ha, whites are so powerful? You must be saying we're mythically powerful beings." As if the power of Rockefellers rubs off on Dog the Bounty Hunter or something.

Yes. He's taking "discrimination against white people is so rare and powerless in 2014 America that it's not worth bringing up and just distracts from actual issues" and pretending he thinks you mean "Whites are Gods among men and cannot be harmed by puny dark-skinned untermenschen." Because you're the real racist, you see.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

VitalSigns posted:

Perfect pedagogical strategy for SudanChair.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 22, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

If you want to know why I was arguing it's mostly because I'm really pedantic and I hate seeing people make generalizations. I also think that if you're going to be crusading against discrimination that you should avoid making generalizations because it can make you look hypocritical and that can cause people to dismiss what you have to say out of hand without examining it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you want to know why I was arguing it's mostly because I'm really pedantic and I hate seeing people make generalizations. I also think that if you're going to be crusading against discrimination that you should avoid making generalizations because it can make you look hypocritical and that can cause people to dismiss what you have to say out of hand without examining it.

Everyone contributes in minor ways, even subconsciously, because we were born and raised in a racist, sexist, homophobic society and those prejudices are drilled into us by our culture before we can even think. Part of the conversation about bigotry is that it's not a black-and-white line (heh) like either you're a full-on Grand Wizard of the KKK or you're 100% not-racist. There have been studies done where identical resumes get significantly higher call-back ratios depending on whether the name sounds stereotypically white or African American. Everybody is racist to some degree and we can't fight it if we don't acknowledge that it exists.

Anyone who "would have been on my side" if only I'd not generalized and I'd qualified everything with "but it's possible that somewhere some white person may have never contributed to this system", would not actually have been on my side.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yes. He's taking "discrimination against white people is so rare and powerless in 2014 America that it's not worth bringing up and just distracts from actual issues" and pretending he thinks you mean "Whites are Gods among men and cannot be harmed by puny dark-skinned untermenschen." Because you're the real racist, you see.
No, what I mean by mythologizing hasn't got anything to do with white people being superior or anything, it has to do with setting them apart as somehow uniquely predisposed to racist behavior.* The repeated refusal to contemplate the idea that a white person might find themselves in a place where the racist system, that usually put them in a position of great privilege, is turned on its head, is acting like white people are uniquely predisposed to racist behavior. White people get to be the racist bastards many/most of them are due to historical circumstances, the historical circumstances weren't built around some inbuilt flaw. At least not one unique to white people.

That doesn't mean white people aren't consciously or unconsciously a part of the racist system, because they are. What I'm saying is that minorities can be as well, if the specific conditions of the locales or institutions they're part of allow it, such as if they're mostly controlled by minorities themselves. All of which of course does, as we have established, still operate within the larger structure created by white people. In fact, you can probably make the argument that this is a pretty drat natural reaction to living in a society structured this way.

*Tied up into a greater historical narrative of European exploitation as a special historical sin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nobody is saying that it's cosmically impossible for anyone other than white people to be racist. You're making things up to prove some maximally pedantic point about...something. I don't even know.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Perfect pedagogical strategy for SudanChair.

Do you have any disagreements with me in the context of this thread? If so, please lay them out.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nobody cares about those people, they are predisposed to dismiss anything that isn't praise of them just for being alive and white.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 22, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone contributes in minor ways, even subconsciously, because we were born and raised in a racist, sexist, homophobic society and those prejudices are drilled into us by our culture before we can even think. Part of the conversation about bigotry is that it's not a black-and-white line (heh) like either you're a full-on Grand Wizard of the KKK or you're 100% not-racist. There have been studies done where identical resumes get significantly higher call-back ratios depending on whether the name sounds stereotypically white or African American. Everybody is racist to some degree and we can't fight it if we don't acknowledge that it exists.

Yeah, I know all that. The fact that unconscious racism exists is a big part of why I think that if you're going to make arguments against discrimination you should be extremely careful to not make any arbitrary generalizations yourself. I think that applies even more so when you are talking to strangers or using a semi-anonymous medium like an internet forum because your argument becomes its' own context and if people see that context as "Racism is bad because [good arguments] but gently caress those white people, fuckin' racists right?" they are going to doubt or dismiss your good arguments because of the hypocrisy of the second statement.

VitalSigns posted:

Anyone who "would have been on my side" if only I'd not generalized and I'd qualified everything with "but it's possible that somewhere some white person may have never contributed to this system", would not actually have been on my side.

I disagree. People can dismiss things out of hand pretty easily at the slightest hint of hypocrisy, especially if your argument makes them feel uncomfortable or guilty. Is it really so difficult to tread on eggshells when making these arguments? Is it not worth treading with great care if it might convince someone or even just chip away at their unjust beliefs so that one day they might see the error of their ways?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bango skank posted:

Nope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody is saying that it's cosmically impossible for anyone other than white people to be racist.
No, they're clever enough to just not truly acknowledge the possibility. It reminds me of arguing with people who argue they have nothing to do with the racist system they live in, so maybe it's something they've picked up from them. Lord knows arguing with those people isn't going to keep you sharp. I'm not talking about you though, you're actually engaging with me even if you're not agreeing with me.

And before anyone says it, just because I compared the way of arguing does not mean I think the substance behind it is equivalent.

VitalSigns posted:

You're making things up to prove some maximally pedantic point about...something. I don't even know.
The point that racism (or any other of the -isms) is better argued in conjunction with the other major system that rules our society, capitalism, is not a pedantic point. It's just that people react to an assumption of what I'm saying, decide it's time to dig in their heels and not give a single inch of ground, which means you get bogged down in what seems like a pedantic point because they won't let you move past it. The idea that in specific circumstances, the system might be flipped on its head, is not just a pedantic little detail, it's acknowledging that the mechanics behind racism are much more complex than "white people are bad". Doesn't even matter that in aggregate you still see white people as bad, hell, who would blame you, it just matters that you can see that a lot of the power the system has is tied up into its connection to the capitalist structure our society is built around. Not all of it, but I do believe it lends it a whole lot of power it wouldn't otherwise have.

Maybe I've misunderstood people, and they actually agree with that? It wouldn't be the first time people misunderstand each other based on their usual experiences with the topic, and I'm certainly not going to claim I have perfect understanding of other people's thoughts.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I promise I'll be a good communist. I will! Just stop...stop talking about racism :negative:

• Locked thread