Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Inspector Danger really gets off on dead mafiosi, doesn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

gently caress you, Inspector Danger - raindrops can come from any direction, at any location. Rear flank downdraft, front flank downdraft, microbursts, outflow driven rain, inflow driven rain, the list goes on and on. You're the worst inspector ever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you accept that the rain must be falling at the same angle on both beaches,
On both beaches four hours apart.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Really Pants posted:

Inspector Danger really gets off on dead mafiosi, doesn't he.

"May his wicked soul forever roast in eternal hell!" is not a line I expect to see in a children's puzzle comic. Amazed that this strip isn't an edit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved the last mob boss one where the narrator got in on the action and said something like "Gonzo Milfetti spends the last miserable hours of his awful life on the beach" and then Inspector Danger makes a joke about how the corpse smells like garlic.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Comic Strip Megathread XV: May his wicked soul forever roast in eternal hell!

Geech
Into Darkness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

don Jaime posted:

Comic Strip Megathread XV: May his wicked soul forever roast in eternal hell!

Geech
Into Darkness.

Is cutting off the art on two of these intentional?

Because I don't feel like I'm missing anything here.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It's how they were on Gocomics. They got lazy with the scanning. The weird thing is, it really doesn't matter, since the art tends to be kind of static. I'm wondering now if I have Geech confused with a different, better strip. Kudzu, maybe?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

A good idea.

Mary Worth

Candy Crush Saga?

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, of course. Why should the Morgans ever pay for anything?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Content advisory: Funky Winkerbean is about to make you think of something you'd rather not.

Jeez, heaven forbid you even vaguely allude to sex when having a candid conversation among friends about important aspects of your life. hosed up

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

don Jaime posted:

It's how they were on Gocomics. They got lazy with the scanning. The weird thing is, it really doesn't matter, since the art tends to be kind of static. I'm wondering now if I have Geech confused with a different, better strip. Kudzu, maybe?

Yeah, you must have because there's no universe out there where Geech is considered a 'good' strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts, in which Our Hero (the one with the big nose and the insurance job) hits on another one of those universal truths. (June 25, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Jeez, heaven forbid you even vaguely allude to sex when having a candid conversation among friends about important aspects of your life. hosed up

Just like us, the Winkerbeans don't want to imagine Les in the act. God forbid that they can already conjure up his awkward, depressing pillow talk.

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1942)

And then Olive sees the lipstick and rips the sailor to shreds. Hope it was worth it, bub.

Pogo, in which the dog takes a remedial course in self-defense. (June 15, 1969)

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

Out Our Way (March 6-7, 1925)

(e: because March 4-5 != 6-7)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 23, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Next, Peter will attempt to be an Indycar driver, try his hand at the international superspy thing, become part of a cult with ridiculous beliefs, and then get shot in the face by an attractive British woman.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Well how about that, Kelly

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Funky Winkerbean

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:argh: those darn kids breaking the lawn mower with small bits of string!

Man, Lynn really was reaching wasn't she?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stultus Maximus posted:

:argh: those darn kids breaking the lawn mower with small bits of string!

Man, Lynn really was reaching wasn't she?

I guess I could see a low-power mower getting jammed if it was pretty dense yeah, since I've made similar mowers unhappy by just using it on grass that was too long. Not permanently broken mind you, it just triggered some sort of auto shutoff feature I think. Also in this case I'd say the dad's a moron for not seeing all that and making the kids clean it up. That's basically what you do with kids who make a big mess. Make 'em clean it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Cow and Boy

I kind of hate the Sunday strips for this since there's no word bubbles, so the text just melds with the colored background. It's barely readable. Ah well.

Sherman's Lagoon

Hurr hurr hurr, technology, hurr hurr hurr. I actually do prefer books to E-readers though, because I don't like the high contrast screens and all the bullshit that goes with scrolling down.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 4-5, 1925)

I did an experiment. Most of the Wash Funk comics have some sort of actual joke, but the depiction of African Americans is so offensive that I can't enjoy the joke. (I know, I know, part of the times and all but that doesn't make it right.)

This panel had an actual nonsensical joke, so I wanted to see whether the joke would carry better without the racist and classist overlays.

I think it does, but anybody else's mileage may vary.

I had trouble getting Wash's face right. I also wanted to fix that poor swaybacked horse, but didn't have time.

Anyway, an experiment and hopefully not just bowdlerization..

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Johnny Walker posted:

I thought I recognized that character and name. A few other people have already commented on this, but here's a little comic strip history anyways since I found this old article from the time.

This has recently come up over the D&D political cartoon thread, so let me add that Pat Oliphant, the editorial cartoonist who Breathed is mocking here, is a complete prick and deserving of such mockery and more. Breathed, in a 2001 interview, had this to say about him:

quote:

In the world of hardcore editorial cartoons, there's a small, unpleasant fellow with a very little penis, the result of a sneeze during circumcision, named Pat Oliphant—himself a Pulitzer winner—who threatened a boycott when my prize was announced in 1987. Those were the days.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ok, what kind of gay baby mower throws a rod when you run over a bunch of scattered pieces of cut yarn? Or did I miss something obvious?

EasyEW posted:

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

I'm sort of a student of "old things" (collect old radios, live in a 114yo house, etc.), and this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having to light a water heater each time they needed hot water. Especially in 1942. By then there definitely were thermostatically controlled water heaters that would always provide hot water. Prior to that, it was customary to have the water heating system "tandemed" onto the house boiler, and the only time you had to go fire it to get hot water was during Spring/Summer when you weren't using main heat, or if it was a decent one, it had a continuously burning pilot burner to keep it at about 100F, and you just hit a switch to take it up to nuke temperature when you wanted way hotter water. Huh. Now I'm interested. I guess I'll have to research that a bit.

Yeah, right, whatever, BlankIsBeautiful... :v:

I always wonder how Cap'n Eddie keeps getting his boat back.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

9 Chickweed Lane 6/22/2003

Edda does, in fact, execute a very nice :iceburn: It's small because I grabbed the GoComics preview because my internet is being a dick.

Zits is still being a huge pain in the rear end to load, but I managed to grab yesterday's and today's before their server dropped my connection. I am in the hinterlands of far east central Ohio with less than marginal Verizon internet access so that could be the trouble.

But! Lucky for us! Kevin & Kell loads up just fine! Yay!

Stop talking to your food, you idiot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

But! Lucky for us! Kevin & Kell loads up just fine! Yay!

Stop talking to your food, you idiot.

So if even the plants are sentient, literally every character in this comic is a serial killer. The gently caress is with this guy?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

TofuDiva posted:

I did an experiment. Most of the Wash Funk comics have some sort of actual joke, but the depiction of African Americans is so offensive that I can't enjoy the joke. (I know, I know, part of the times and all but that doesn't make it right.)

This panel had an actual nonsensical joke, so I wanted to see whether the joke would carry better without the racist and classist overlays.

I think it does, but anybody else's mileage may vary.

I had trouble getting Wash's face right. I also wanted to fix that poor swaybacked horse, but didn't have time.

Anyway, an experiment and hopefully not just bowdlerization..

This is probably why people accused me of "pearl clutching" when these Wash Funk panels started popping up constantly. Sometimes it's a matter of what's being said (dice and chicken house raids are still the ones I won't post directly), other times it's how it's being said, but without confronting these things it all just blends together into a king rat of old-timey ignorance. I think I mentioned J. P. Alley once before, the editorial cartoonist in Tennessee who was part of the team that won the Pulitzer in 1923 for coming out against the Klan, but was also the creator of the Uncle Remus-like Hambone's Mediations, and trying to picture those two facts about the same man really makes you start to wonder how aware he was of the implications of he was doing.

Of course, being this fine-grained about a pretty coarse set of stereotypes can still get you into trouble if you don't take the temperature of the room first. :tinfoil:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

EasyEW posted:

Content advisory: Funky Winkerbean is about to make you think of something you'd rather not.

So how often do you suppose Les calls her Lisa? Does he ever not call her Lisa in bed?

I like how in any other story this likely would be Cayla coming to terms with the fact her husband never actually loved her and she was just a replacement for his dead wife, and having to figure out if she's okay with this, or if she needs to move on and divorce him.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Anyone want to bet that Les remembering the name for what he's suffering is going to magically make it go away which is not at all how actual psychological disorders work?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

tiistai posted:

More or less, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18q84k5a3kA works too. Even if that's actually lai lala lai.

How annoying, just noticed SA cut out my time stamp from the youtube link so it was like 5 minutes off from where I was meaning to link it. gently caress you whoever made this code.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Johnny Walker posted:

I thought I recognized that character and name. A few other people have already commented on this, but here's a little comic strip history anyways since I found this old article from the time.
Very informative, thanks for the link!

DOGG

Ripley's

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

So if even the plants are sentient, literally every character in this comic is a serial killer. The gently caress is with this guy?

Even within the bizarre context of the story, all plants being sentient doesn't make a lick of sense.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Is that a thing? Putting a wet phone in a bag of rice will dry it out?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

anathenema posted:

Yes, basically - as long as you manage to remove the battery before the device short circuits itself, a bag of rice is just as good as silica at sucking the moisture. Not guaranteed to work but at that point, you don't have much to lose!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2014

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

"3/5 plants don't want to die preventable deaths, I mean how entitled can you get?"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Even within the bizarre context of the story, all plants being sentient doesn't make a lick of sense.
The context being that the tree (and that one flower around here somewhere) are only sentient because they got shot with a Smarts Ray because the bird conspiracy which ruled the world (but abdicated in favor of an automated system) kept it (the smart ray) where a couple of random babies could get at and play with it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Uh...

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Thought we had already seen this one at first, but nope, it's new.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

anathenema posted:

Yep, I've done it myself in similar circumstances, though the rice was in a bag separate from rice for eating. My phone fell in a toilet and I didn't notice at first, so it sat immersed in water for about 20 minutes before I retrieved it. Tossed it in rice and left it for a couple of days, charged it, and it turned on just fine.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 22, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Thought we had already seen this one at first, but nope, it's new.

What? The security chief reversed the picture of the nephew entering, but the buildings in the background are actually different, and he didn't use the actual photo of the nephew leaving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was too busy stealing the secret formular to notice what time he actually left.

• Locked thread