Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Vanderdeath posted:

On a lark I decided to try a sorcerer character for the first time ever in a Souls game and for some reason I'm having a pretty rough go of it with him. Should I pump up STR and DEX enough to use a mace as a secondary weapon?
I'm a little ways into my lefty mage build, and I've been using just a staff/chime and boxing glove. Magic seems to have a slow start, but I just got to the Iron Keep and I feel like that's where it starts to hit its stride. Two slots of Dark Orb and the Sunset staff were enough to nuke a path to the next bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Vanderdeath posted:

On a lark I decided to try a sorcerer character for the first time ever in a Souls game and for some reason I'm having a pretty rough go of it with him. Should I pump up STR and DEX enough to use a mace as a secondary weapon?

Absolutely put in enough points to 2h a mace, you only need 6 str and you're good to go. Sorcerers have a horrendous start and grabbing a mace really helps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I decided to use up my cracked blue orbs since I had 30 and it's amazing how many ways the Dark Souls 2 netcode can be fantastic (or the weird ways people cheat?? it's hard to tell sometimes).

There's a Havel guy on the other side of that wall right around the middle of the screen, repeatedly shooting me with a bow. He hit me through the wall a good 10 times no matter where I ran, then suddenly appeared in the window and died to 2 lightning spears. :iiam:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I decided to use up my cracked blue orbs since I had 30 and it's amazing how many ways the Dark Souls 2 netcode can be fantastic (or the weird ways people cheat?? it's hard to tell sometimes).

There's a Havel guy on the other side of that wall right around the middle of the screen, repeatedly shooting me with a bow. He hit me through the wall a good 10 times no matter where I ran, then suddenly appeared in the window and died to 2 lightning spears. :iiam:

Yeah, the netcode can be kind of silly at times, I cannot count the times I get hit by spears aimed about 70 degrees wide of where I am standing.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just couldn't help but think of Siegmeyer aka the Onion Knight. Pains me that the set is hard to acquire.

"Mm! Oh hoh! Forgive me, I was absorbed in thought."

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
I'm doing a low-SM (200-300k) Predator invader build, and I was wondering how to best maximize my damage output. Right now I'm using the regular twinblade +10, powerstanced claws +10, and a dagger +10 (for honorable deaths following parries :black101:). Because my stats are 14/26 STR/DEX, should I bother with scaling, or just make everything raw? Alternatively, should I infuse the claws with bleed to boost their already strong bleed buildup?

As long as I've played these games, you'd think I knew what the numbers in my stats screen meant :blush:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Power stanced claws are the only thing that have actually managed to get a bleed on me, so maybe bleed might be worth it, but keep in mind they're going to be useless if you ever decide to bring the character to higher levels. Keep some palestones around though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
At what time should the Majula chest be updated with the supersecret item? It doesn't mention any time zone but 2.00 PM.

vvv :mad: of course it's not July :negative:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 22, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not sure the exact time, but try checking back in about 720 hours.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I hope it's 99 red and 99 blue orbs.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I posted about this last night, but I literally got killed in my own world by a backstab from a world I had just invaded (and died in). After the first backstab that killed me in his world, I watched him run around like some Benny Hill poo poo swiping the air. I watched him go through another complete backstab animation as if I were still alive in his world while the screen faded. When I respawned in my world my character yelled out and immediately died. I had actually backstabbed him once myself, but I never saw any damage appear from it before I faded out.

I'm not even sure how such a thing is even possible.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 22, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

White Phosphorus posted:

Uncracked red and blue orb :getin:.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Azuth0667 posted:

Uncracked red and blue orb :getin:.

Medium White Sign Soapstone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

White Phosphorus posted:

A mimic.

individual
May 20, 2003
Nice to meat you!

A mimic that drops 99 blue and red orbs...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

The surprise chest will be Gwynevere.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

kazil posted:

Come on you can't fit that in Majula.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kazil posted:

No that's the amazing chest.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tried to ask Tokyo Sex Whale if he had stairs through elaborate pointing, don't know if he got it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

argondamn posted:

Tried to ask Tokyo Sex Whale if he had stairs through elaborate pointing, don't know if he got it.

Oh geez, I thought you were trying to tell me to kill the Alonne guy or something. I knew the gamertag was familiar.

Thank you for waiting patiently while I offered all my dragon scales.

Dragon roar seems kinda bad in this?

E: were you the blue who invaded while I was farming Amana yesterday and just kind of let me shoot you in the head a bunch then walked off a cliff? If not that dude's alright too.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 22, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The prisoner's set is like some sort of cursed bullshit that only drops when you don't want it.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is it bad that I want a mimic boss? Idk how'd theyd do it. Something along the lines of a huge treasure room where you open a chest and they all grab together and make one big huge mimic, or a goofy huge chest. I think a goofy huge chest would be best.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is it bad that I want a mimic boss? Idk how'd theyd do it. Something along the lines of a huge treasure room where you open a chest and they all grab together and make one big huge mimic, or a goofy huge chest. I think a goofy huge chest would be best.

The entire room is a mimic, at first you think you've reached the bonfire but when you go to light it the walls sprout mouths and lashing tongues.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Oh geez, I thought you were trying to tell me to kill the Alonne guy or something. I knew the gamertag was familiar.

Thank you for waiting patiently while I offered all my dragon scales.

Dragon roar seems kinda bad in this?

E: were you the blue who invaded while I was farming Amana yesterday and just kind of let me shoot you in the head a bunch then walked off a cliff? If not that dude's alright too.

I had multiple copies of some of the rare loot that I wanted to get rid of, but you kept shooting me while I was menuing. So I tried to find a way to non-threateningly approach you, but you kept shooting me while I was menuing to get some nice gestures or my trident out. I did manage to drop some souls before I gave up and killed myself though.

Also, I knew I should've rolled away when you got that close, but that backstab with the trident did way more damage than I expected.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

What's the reason for killing Licia anyway?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Because she invades you a number of times throughout the game.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

What's the reason for killing Licia anyway?

She's A) the nameless usurper

B) her hood is an alternative to the hexers that does the same thing

C) you get a unique miracle if you do it the correct way

D) gently caress dat hoe.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Wow I didn't even realize she was the nameless usurper, is it mentioned somewhere in the game? I probably missed it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Wow I didn't even realize she was the nameless usurper, is it mentioned somewhere in the game? I probably missed it.

It's strongly strongly hinted at, but the game never tells you outright, because this is Dark Souls. Her clothing matches and when you invade her she makes it sound like she's invaded you before.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

It's just a fan theory. Nameless Usurper wears the saint set just like Licia. However, Nameless doesn't use miracles and still invades if you killed Licia.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Motherfucker posted:

The entire room is a mimic, at first you think you've reached the bonfire but when you go to light it the walls sprout mouths and lashing tongues.

This would be amazing. You put your hand out like you're going to light the bonfire, nothing happens, you look at your hand like "Why didn't that work?", and then all the exits to the room fog over. Cue boss track and health bar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

It's just a fan theory. Nameless Usurper wears the saint set just like Licia. However, Nameless doesn't use miracles and still invades if you killed Licia.

It's also implied that Licia killed the real Saint Licia.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Bizarre Newbie question. Why have I seen about 20 or so bloodstains between the entrance to Majula and that Death Count memorial... All showing people leaping off cliffs? :stare: Not seeing any obvious troll "Try jumping!" messages or anything.

Also, do bleed weapons have any long term PvE practicality in this game?

EDIT: Stupid idiot question. Is there a way to look at specific item stats like shield protection from the inventory tab, not just the equip screen?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 22, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Section Z posted:

Bizarre Newbie question. Why have I seen about 20 or so bloodstains between the entrance to Majula and that Death Count memorial... All showing people leaping off cliffs? :stare: Not seeing any obvious troll "Try jumping!" messages or anything.

Also, do bleed weapons have any long term PvE practicality in this game?

EDIT: Stupid idiot question. Is there a way to look at specific item stats like shield protection from the inventory tab, not just the equip screen?

Could be some people aren't paying attention and just run off, some might be trying to get down to zero souls for the special armor Maughlin has and don't think to use the darksign.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Motherfucker posted:

She's A) the nameless usurper

B) her hood is an alternative to the hexers that does the same thing

C) you get a unique miracle if you do it the correct way

D) gently caress dat hoe.
Minor correction, Hexer's adds 1Int/Fth in addition to the spellcast thing. Licia's only adds 1Fth.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

kazil posted:

Could be some people aren't paying attention and just run off, some might be trying to get down to zero souls for the special armor Maughlin has and don't think to use the darksign.

Does the darksign leave a bloodstain now? I remember in DS1 it would just remove all your souls and humanity, and you couldn't recover them.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Does the darksign leave a bloodstain now? I remember in DS1 it would just remove all your souls and humanity, and you couldn't recover them.
No, it doesn't. kazil is pretty much talking about how it's better to use it so Maughlin can give you aurous armor instead of killing yourself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

axelsoar posted:

Yeah, the netcode can be kind of silly at times, I cannot count the times I get hit by spears aimed about 70 degrees wide of where I am standing.

Yeah it sort of went without saying that most of these fights had teleporting backstabs and whiff hits everywhere. Probably 5 of my 20-something encounters ended in me teleporting a good 5-10 feet into a backstab animation, or them teleporting behind me. Also probably 30% of the total hits I took were from swings that clearly whiffed on my screen. I don't even want to know how far away it looked like I was to the people I killed.

I am really kicking myself for not recording one encounter though: I appeared in front of the Gargoyles door with someone named Gettin Gudder looking at me from a short distance away. I wave and he shoots 1 hex that instakills me. It would have pretty much been darksoulsonline.avi.

TheRagamuffin posted:

No it doesn't although it doesn't hollow you either. But there's so many homeward bones around now that there's still pretty much never a time when you'd want to use it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have a non-specific question about this game: is this the sort of game you can play and enjoy going in blind, or is it written with the assumption that people will read FAQs to get themselves up to speed? Because I'm at about level 50 and I only have the vaguest idea of what's going on and I already got invaded by one dude who pretty much just oneshot me by parrying my attack. Though the first time I touched a summon sign this other guy showed up and unloaded a dump truck full of lv10 gear on me for some reason, so eh, swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

I have a non-specific question about this game: is this the sort of game you can play and enjoy going in blind, or is it written with the assumption that people will read FAQs to get themselves up to speed? Because I'm at about level 50 and I only have the vaguest idea of what's going on and I already got invaded by one dude who pretty much just oneshot me by parrying my attack. Though the first time I touched a summon sign this other guy showed up and unloaded a dump truck full of lv10 gear on me for some reason, so eh, swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Dark Souls is good for playing the levels and bosses blind but it probably wouldn't hurt to know some of the mechanics of the game i.e. agility.