Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I enjoy the bits and pieces of the Wildstar story. It's dumb, but a passive, charming type of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

LoG posted:

You aren't any better, hth

I dunno, I don't 'ironically' hate transgenders/gays in my posts. But hey, I'll do my part!

If he doesn't post in this thread again until the end of the month, neither will I. :toxx:

That goes for next month as well.

Don't ruin it for everyone, Brain In A Jar!

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2014

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

panda clue posted:

If he doesn't post in this thread until the end of the month, neither will I. :toxx:

Why make it just a month?

Challenge Begins!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Unlucky7 posted:

I enjoy the bits and pieces of the Wildstar story. It's dumb, but a passive, charming type of dumb.

I know I'm missing a lot of good stuff by skipping the quest text. The quests I do read have been great.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Everyone needs this addon: http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220709-scrappy

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So what are people doing with their Medic AMPs on Warbringer? I've been consulting that good DPS medic guide, but it recommends both Null Zone and Danger Zone, which are bugged and get you killed by guards in neutral areas, and without them you end up kind of ineffective.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Ihki posted:

150% of your XP needed to level. At level 50 it's 112.5k rested XP, or 150% of a single elder gem, roughly the same as for a level 20 character.

Yeah, I don't know, maybe they forgot about that when making those grandiose posts about how relevant rested experience will continue to be at 50 :iiam:

Are we sure this is the cap? I've gotten from 37 to 40 on my warrior and I've yet to see the end of my rest xp.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Doublestep posted:

Are we sure this is the cap? I've gotten from 37 to 40 on my warrior and I've yet to see the end of my rest xp.

That's because to get that 1.5x rested XP, you need to gain 3.0x regular experience. Going through 3-4 levels with a full rested bonus sounds about right.

Also I've gotten two boom box potions that I drank to get my rest XP capped, verified to be true for both ~level 25 and 50.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
What's a boombox?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Zephyrine posted:

What's a boombox?

Random item boxes that contain costume pieces, dyes, salvage, mount flair, boosts, etc. that were accrued by playing in the Beta.

So far mostly salvage and boosts it seems. :sigh:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So what are people doing with their Medic AMPs on Warbringer? I've been consulting that good DPS medic guide, but it recommends both Null Zone and Danger Zone, which are bugged and get you killed by guards in neutral areas, and without them you end up kind of ineffective.

Does that bug only happen on PVP servers? I'm 43 and have yet to encounter that problem. It doesn't seem worth discarding two really good amps over. I assume as long as you don't get within 10 meters of an enemy player in a neutral town, you won't aggro anything.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

folgore posted:

Does that bug only happen on PVP servers? I'm 43 and have yet to encounter that problem. It doesn't seem worth discarding two really good amps over. I assume as long as you don't get within 10 meters of an enemy player in a neutral town, you won't aggro anything.
Yeah, it's flagged as an aggressive action against players from the other faction so it gets you murdered by guards. You can't even take aggressive actions against them on PvE servers so I'd imagine that's not a problem.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should I use my wildstar time card now? Can I just stack these on my account?

Or should I wait till the month is about to run out.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Have your second action set be the "running around town near enemies" set. I'm on Warbringer and do this for the few neutral towns.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

panda clue posted:

Do all of us (and yourself) a favor: uninstall the game, walk away, and never post in this thread again. You are probably the whiniest poster I've ever seen across 8 years and 6+ MMOs with goons. :bravo:

God do you ever shut up?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Phrasing posted:

I always laugh when goons bring up this specific quest to show Dominion goodness. They never read the journal where the head alchemist decides to let the plague run its course through the lowborn population to see its effects. When it actually starts to affect highborn is when they hire the player character to do something about it. And then, their distribution of the cure is something like ambrosia from Deus Ex.

It's okay guys, the Dominion is evil.

I always say the Dominion are bad people who believe they're doing the right thing and good things sometimes come out of that. The distribution of the cure, in that case, was actually pretty reasonable. They manufactured it as fast as they could and helped anyone in need. Of course, it's heavily implied that the lowborns are only kept healthy and happy because they're basically the labor force of the Dominion, as for whatever reason we'd rather experiment on, execute or hunt (for sport) prisoners than use them for labor.

In Deradune we have preservation efforts, because if we let the Draken run wild we would have a barren land. Of course, that involves highly unethical experimentation to maintain a fauna that's basically genetically engineered to be a threat to the Draken. Simultaneously, in Auroria, we stop the Mordesh from poisoning the land and killing everything.

We help the Freebots and give them jobs, but only because the Protostar previously in charge prove to be incompetent and the Dominion could use another ally.

I think the Mechari of the ICI and their 'the ends justify the means' attitude are the best representation of the Dominion as a whole, really.

Meowbot posted:

I got a warrior up to 15 during the trial and just felt like the leveling was so slow. I had no problem killing things but a majority of my quests and doing stuff was involving NOT killing things. This was as an exile so just was curious if the dominion may be better. I am hoping that once I can do dungeons it will pick up since I am finding the travel time and quests that take 10-20 minutes to do giving only one percent of experience pretty hard to deal with.

I haven't done Exile yet but leveling in Wildstar isn't particularly fast.

The trick is to be as efficient as possible. Firstly, up level 14 or so, PvP is a drastically faster way to level. If you don't care about missing almost an entire zone, that's an option.

As for quests, they are divided into story (world/zone/region) and tasks. If you're out-leveling the area you're in, feel free to skip tasks. If you get a task that looks like it will take too long to do (hard to find objective, too many mobs to kill, tedious running around), abandon it. The story stuff will almost always lead you to new quests.

If you get a kill challenge, there's a pretty good chance there's quest to kill the same mobs, so don't waste your time doing that twice.

If you're doing path missions, keep in mind those slow you down significantly, as they only reward you with non-path XP indirectly. Scientist is the worst since it will often require you to fight (or run from) mobs that you might have skipped because of a tedious task, and finding the datacubes is much worse than say, revealing the entire map as an Explorer.

Once you're in Illium/Thayd, you're given a quest to craft a rune. Do not craft it. You will get to keep the 4 rune fragments, which on Warbringer Dominion, are equivalent to 12-16g. Use that to buy a mount. You're a Warrior so with your mount, whenever you get a kill quest, run around grabbing aggro on as many quest mobs as you can (anywhere from 5 to 10 be doable with zero problems) and kill them simultaneously. This should speed things up. The world first level 50 was a Warrior (who become exponentially better the more mobs they fight) doing exactly this.

If you don't care about your immersion, grab Ayth_Quest or a similar addon.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2014

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem was, why was he having no problems but my main absolutely struggled through Stormtalon- even with full tanking gear and good amp selection. I can't think of a single healer out of all the times I've done Stormtalon as a Warrior tank who didn't walk the razor's edge keeping me alive on the bosses no matter how well I avoided telegraphs.

Anecdotal as well, but I tanked Stormtalon on my Warrior on the weekend and it was ... tricky.
Just keeping threat was a pain.

For survivability, I got good value out of Emergency Reserves and the AMPs Kinetic Buffer, Full Force and MKII Battle Suit (not sure of the actual names, grabbed those from WildHeap and they seem right).

It was harder than I imagined, coming over from WoW.
I'm levelling a Stalker at the moment and I'll likely try tanking on that as well.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anywhere I can get the epic pug mount that isn't a boom box?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Liberatore posted:

I haven't done Exile yet but leveling in Wildstar isn't particularly fast.

The trick is to be as efficient as possible. Firstly, up level 14 or so, PvP is a drastically faster way to level. If you don't care about missing almost an entire zone, that's an option.

As for quests, they are divided into story (world/zone/region) and tasks. If you're out-leveling the area you're in, feel free to skip tasks. If you get a task that looks like it will take too long to do (hard to find objective, too many mobs to kill, tedious running around), abandon it. The story stuff will almost always lead you to new quests.

If you get a kill challenge, there's a pretty good chance there's quest to kill the same mobs, so don't waste your time doing that twice.

If you're doing path missions, keep in mind those slow you down significantly, as they only reward you with non-path XP indirectly. Scientist is the worst since it will often require you to fight (or run from) mobs that you might have skipped because of a tedious task, and finding the datacubes is much worse than say, revealing the entire map as an Explorer.

Once you're in Illium/Thayd, you're given a quest to craft a rune. Do not craft it. You will get to keep the 4 rune fragments, which on Warbringer Dominion, are equivalent to 12-16g. Use that to buy a mount. You're a Warrior so with your mount, whenever you get a kill quest, run around grabbing aggro on as many quest mobs as you can (anywhere from 5 to 10 be doable with zero problems) and kill them simultaneously. This should speed things up. The world first level 50 was a Warrior (who become exponentially better the more mobs they fight) doing exactly this.

If you don't care about your immersion, grab Ayth_Quest or a similar addon.

Thank you for all the good advice! I started over and got to level 7 in about an hour which is a LOT faster than I remember leveling the first warrior I played. Mostly because I knew the trick to playing a warrior was get to 1000, kick, rampage with 6+ mobs on you. This is how I've been playing the warrior and good advice for how to get a mount!

I read somewhere that you should never do a quest that is below your level. Is this even true at low levels? It did feel like one time I had to go halfway through Celestion for several NPCs only to get less than a percent of experience. Is this because it was a lower level quest (it was level 12 when I was 13).

What exactly does Ayth quest addon do? DOes it tell you which quests to skip or something? Reading the description it just seems to point you to the right NPCs. I skip all the cutscenes, flavor text, and turn off NPC chat so I don't care about any of that. I just want to level and kill monsters which is why I'm still trying to debate if I should start over again to go soldier since settler is the opposite of killing (but the buffs are nice).

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ayth draws lines to all quest objectives. It's color by numbers questing.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Is there any other way to enable 2 factor auth if you don't have a iPhone or Android device? I couldn't see any other methods.

Just hit 50 as well and I can see why people are saying medic DPS is terrible now missing or getting 1 gamma ray deflected totally breaks your rotation. Doesn't help that you can't use non keyboard binds when you have hold to cast enabled (I've always used mousewheel up / down for stuns and instants/teleports).

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 23, 2014

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hanyolo posted:

Is there any other way to enable 2 factor auth if you don't have a iPhone or Android device? I couldn't see any other methods.

Just hit 50 as well and I can see why people are saying medic DPS is terrible now. Doesn't help that you can't use non keyboard binds when you have hold to cast enabled (I've always used mousewheel up / down for stuns and instants/teleports).

https://code.google.com/p/winauth/

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

hanyolo posted:

WinAuth.

efb

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Currently playing Engi and absolutely loving it. Doing the group +3 quests alone with my bots is a relief cause I get to play during nights when no one is online.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Meowbot posted:

Thank you for all the good advice! I started over and got to level 7 in about an hour which is a LOT faster than I remember leveling the first warrior I played. Mostly because I knew the trick to playing a warrior was get to 1000, kick, rampage with 6+ mobs on you. This is how I've been playing the warrior and good advice for how to get a mount!

I read somewhere that you should never do a quest that is below your level. Is this even true at low levels? It did feel like one time I had to go halfway through Celestion for several NPCs only to get less than a percent of experience. Is this because it was a lower level quest (it was level 12 when I was 13).

What exactly does Ayth quest addon do? DOes it tell you which quests to skip or something? Reading the description it just seems to point you to the right NPCs. I skip all the cutscenes, flavor text, and turn off NPC chat so I don't care about any of that. I just want to level and kill monsters which is why I'm still trying to debate if I should start over again to go soldier since settler is the opposite of killing (but the buffs are nice).

I honestly have no idea about lower level quests. I don't pay much attention to the experience they give you, but I did notice I leveled a lot faster (a few hours to go from level 1 to 14 with no PvP) when I started skipping quests whenever I out-leveled them, so maybe there's some truth to that.

Besides what PaganGoatPants mentioned, Ayth is configurable. You can set it to draw lines only to objectives, a very useful feature because whenever an object or monster is tagged as a quest objective it will draw lines to them, even if the normal arrow indicator for quests only gives you a general area. I use that and the harvest option, disabling the path, quest-giving NPCs, challenge and farming features.

Soldier is indeed mostly killing, but holdouts don't give any XP, and kill missions sometimes have you kill enemies that aren't a part of any quest. The SWAT missions are my favorite and they actively help you with general questing, though. But remember that Settlers have on demand mailboxes, vendors and crafting stations, and the buffs they put up significantly improve the leveling experience. Not to mention taxis, brokers and things like that.

I would only recommend Soldier for flavor and the fact that it's probably the fastest path to level. At the end of the day, every other path is going to be more useful; Even Explorers get to teleport back to the beginning of caves/dungeons when they're done with the quests there, among other useful applications of that skill.

Nexal posted:

Currently playing Engi and absolutely loving it. Doing the group +3 quests alone with my bots is a relief cause I get to play during nights when no one is online.

I love Engineer because it's chill as gently caress. Ranged + heavy armor and an easy to manage resource means you can play with one eye on the game.

That said, every class I've class I've played (Warrior, Engineer, Spellslinger, Esper) has been able to solo those quests with little trouble, Engineer/Esper being the easiest and Warrior, the hardest. My Spellslinger was the only one that could solo those 5+ group bosses, and only the melee ones, though.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Attention Evindra Exile goons! (Or whoever else, the time investment to get in is tiny)

If any of you are familiar with my guild, Cognitive Dissonance, you might remember Friday night drunk raids. Well, I'm bringing that joy to Wildstar... sort of.

We are going to do Friday night Drunk Babby PvP! Basically, make sure you have a character that is the minimum level required for PvP and then... you guessed it, we PvP. Drinking is not actually required, and there are no drinking games associated with it. Feel free to substitute any other recreational substance alcohol or be completely sober. Just don't harsh our buzz, man. Fun is priority number 1, with winning ideally being in the mix somewhere thereafter. If the powers that be are okay with us using the Space Jam mumble, great, if not I have a mumble server we can all pile into.

I know many of us aren't anywhere near level cap and raids are supposedly hard as balls, so let's just relax and maybe get some free, easy levels as we stomp on people.

If anyone has any ideas of how we can annoy the other team the most while we do this, I'm all ears.

Invites will go out at 9PM Central Standard Time (God's time zone). We only ask that you keep in mind that at least myself will be drunk and I can be kinda loud when sober sooooo...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Buy orders for rune fragments on my server are hilariously low. I should really start buying them up, most are around 20s with only regular rune fragments going at 40...

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Investing in runes overall is a really profitable idea if you have money. I've stashed 50-100 of most available set runes in the game because of how cheap they are/were. Made a nice 40 platinum of profit selling just shadow blast fragments this week, when their price blew up to an absurdly bloated 0.8-1.1p each. I still have a good bunch of them left, too. Might want to buy those, for instance, if they're still going for some dumb 3-8g a pop. They're not worth nearly as much as I sold them for, but they'll be in some degree of demand sooner or later.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Space Jam officer here: is it worth buying the Influence Booster to speed up the initial influence gain? We had to remake, so we are a bit behind. I'm wondering if it's worth bothering right now, or if I should just save for our bank tabs or unlocks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ihki posted:

Investing in runes overall is a really profitable idea if you have money. I've stashed 50-100 of most available set runes in the game because of how cheap they are/were. Made a nice 40 platinum of profit selling just shadow blast fragments this week, when their price blew up to an absurdly bloated 0.8-1.1p each. I still have a good bunch of them left, too. Might want to buy those, for instance, if they're still going for some dumb 3-8g a pop. They're not worth nearly as much as I sold them for, but they'll be in some degree of demand sooner or later.

There's a million of them though, which of the fragments will be most in demand? I take it shadow blast are for stalker DPS?

Edit: In fact if anyone has a comprehensive guide to runes and runecrafting that would be very helpful to me. I can't for the life of me figure out what to go for.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 23, 2014

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Phrasing posted:

I always laugh when goons bring up this specific quest to show Dominion goodness. They never read the journal where the head alchemist decides to let the plague run its course through the lowborn population to see its effects. When it actually starts to affect highborn is when they hire the player character to do something about it. And then, their distribution of the cure is something like ambrosia from Deus Ex.

It's okay guys, the Dominion is evil.

They bring that up to counter the point that the Exiles are goody goody good guys who never do anything immoral.

I'm not even sure what you're going for here to be honest. How could the dominion not giving a gently caress about lowborn getting poisoned excuse the exiles from committing a war crime? What's the point you think people are making and how do you think you're countering it?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eccentric Ned posted:

They bring that up to counter the point that the Exiles are goody goody good guys who never do anything immoral.

I'm not even sure what you're going for here to be honest. How could the dominion not giving a gently caress about lowborn getting poisoned excuse the exiles from committing a war crime? What's the point you think people are making and how do you think you're countering it?

:goonsay: well you see poison is just an abstract idea

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Poultron posted:

Space Jam officer here: is it worth buying the Influence Booster to speed up the initial influence gain? We had to remake, so we are a bit behind. I'm wondering if it's worth bothering right now, or if I should just save for our bank tabs or unlocks.

I'm not sure on Space Jam's numbers but I'm consistently running all of the boosts because we cap out after 4 days. 150k is cheap as hell.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Doublestep posted:

I'm not sure on Space Jam's numbers but I'm consistently running all of the boosts because we cap out after 4 days. 150k is cheap as hell.

We don't have a 500 person guild of poopsockers, so this doesn't answer my question.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Demiurge4 posted:

There's a million of them though, which of the fragments will be most in demand? I take it shadow blast are for stalker DPS?

Guessing that before anyone else gets to it is the job, isn't it. You can either try soul reading pubbies or just buy everything that seems useful and way too cheap for its rarity. The rarest runes in the game being worth about as much as crappy rear end item level 1x rune fragments, that's probably worth noticing.

You can estimate rune rarity by checking what class of rune it is at the runecrafting bench - whether it's an elder rune (some of them are blue, some purple rarity, no idea if that matters), a class rune or a general set rune. For PvP sets, buying a stack or two of gladiator fragments might not be a bad idea if they're like 5-20s a pop. They'll never be ultra valuable at a fixed cost of 100 prestige, but you'll never run out of them. I've also used this page as a quick cheat sheet for checking what's what. The in-game interface is really bad, surprisingly.

And shadow blast is "OK" for any class, really, but it looks much better than it is. Which is why people were spending exorbitant amounts of plat on those fragments (many possibly just hoarding them to invest, dumb money) instead of fx. getting the better Scatter Shots for Spellslinger at 5% the price or so.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Poultron posted:

In the long run, the earlier you Unlock the 7 Day Influence Boost, the more profitable it is. Considering how aggressively you claimed the Warbringer goons to be poopsockers, I would likely wager, however, that you wouldn't get any return on investment of the boost for two-three weeks; however, the reason for that is because of the cost to Unlock then Purchase is much higher than the cost to Purchase.

If you want the hard numbers, your guild must obtain more than 275,000 Influence per day to make the 8% a return on investment.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ihki posted:

I bought 500ish rune fragments when they were 1 gold, sold them at 5 gold, then the next day they were 13 gold each and actually selling.

I feel dumb.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

I bought 500ish rune fragments when they were 1 gold, sold them at 5 gold, then the next day they were 13 gold each and actually selling.

I feel dumb.

I accidentally let slip in guild chat that I'm the one who's been bumping rune prices over the last week, I'm not very popular at the moment :v:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Speaking of runes, the ones you get from the quest are soul bound (or whatever) so you can't sell them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Buying/Farming your lowest level crafting resource (i.e. copper), and just making your most basic recipe and salvaging them is also a reasonable way to make rune fragments. 20 salvages will usually net you 5 fragments or so, so you're looking at up to around 1g per fragment depending on resource prices. If you buy them on the CE for less then go with that option.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 23, 2014

• Locked thread