Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Diggin thru the eurorack modules trying to find various routing mixers that will take one audio input and fade between 2 or more outputs.

So far it seems like Mutable Instruments Frames can do this along was some other neat features..

It seems like a very basic utility to have for modular routing, and I can't seem to find any modules focused on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

The WMD MMVCA can do that. Great module all around, it can crossfade or fade one out entirely before bringing the other in, it's also a 2ch mixer, dual independent VCAs, distortion, half or full wave rectifier, and most importantly it has great blinkenlights.

There are also several specialized crossfader modules. For 1 input to >2 outputs, there's stuff like the Toppobrillo Mixiplexer or the Intellijel Planar... I know there are others.

breaks fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 22, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'VE MISSED TALKING TO YOU ALL NOT ON FACEBOOK SO MUCH

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
In recent news, it looks like Waldorf is actually getting off their asses and getting a stable firmware released for the Blofeld.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Panda Time posted:

Diggin thru the eurorack modules trying to find various routing mixers that will take one audio input and fade between 2 or more outputs.

So far it seems like Mutable Instruments Frames can do this along was some other neat features..

It seems like a very basic utility to have for modular routing, and I can't seem to find any modules focused on this.

Well, you could rig this up with some basic building block modules. Mult your audio signal into 2 VCA inputs, turn one attenuator fully CW, the other fully CCW. Route the VCA outputs to a mixer. Mult your CV that will control your fade. The first signal goes into the VCA set fully CCW, the other goes into an inverter and then into the VCA turned CW. You may need to offset the inverted signal. As you increase the voltage on the CV the first VCA will fade in, the inverted signal will fade the signal from the second VCA out.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Panda Time posted:

Not euro but this is basically what the dotcom q111 does, unless I've misread the question: http://synthesizers.com/q111.html

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The forums being down gave me some time to reflect. Gonna sell all my synths and just play harmonica.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

In recent news, it looks like Waldorf is actually getting off their asses and getting a stable firmware released for the Blofeld.

And it only took them 7 years, must be a new record. It would be a glorious day if I'd kept mine (bought it on launch, sold after a few years of waiting for a usable OS)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

The forums being down gave me some time to reflect. Gonna sell all my synths and just play harmonica.

Me too. Already sold everythign I have, thinking of picking up fishing to sperg about instead

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

VoodooXT posted:

Did you see actual release notes somewhere? I'm a little concerned that they went from 1.2 to 1.2.1 to 1.3 in a span of 2-3 days...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VoodooXT posted:

They pulled it from the site for some reason. I don't know when they did a redesign for the site, but it used to be the case that all firmware versions since 1.15 or something were available for download. Now there is none for the desktop version.

I found this KVR thread which has a link to supposedly "stable" 1.21 on page 4, but I'm not going to try it before I've verified that I have 1.16b and the recovery thing lying around somewhere. Or I guess I'll just wait for more news anyway.

Bolange posted:

Did you see actual release notes somewhere? I'm a little concerned that they went from 1.2 to 1.2.1 to 1.3 in a span of 2-3 days...
The way it's worded on the site, suggests to me that this is firmware for the keyboard part of the Blofeld Keyboard and not for the Blofeld part of it, maybe? 1.3 isn't a logical follower in the sequence 1.15 > 1.16b > 1.20 > 1.21 anyway and the Blofeld so far has always shared firmware between desktop and keyboard versions otherwise.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Over the forums outage, I've finally passed GAS.

I managed to locate a QY700 in my price range. It's pretty good. Not only am I able to produce jams at a ridiculous rate, I can also reproduce sheet music almost perfectly in the step sequencer. And it's actually quick to do so thanks to the computer keyboard style numpad, cursor, and command keys. Now, if I could read sheet music quickly...

It's not the best for live song-making: looping in song mode produces a slight but noticeable delay on loop, and you need to stop the sequencer to switch between recording user phrases in pattern mode. But with a little bit of prep, it works fine for jamming.

As a linear sequencer, however, I can't imagine a quicker workflow. The jobs really do cover all of the bases for manipulating data. And as mentioned, dedicated keys + numpad + MIDI keyboard = wicked fast data entry.

The quantization templates seemed useless until I wrapped my head around them and tried them on hi-hat 16ths and 32nds. It's great that they can be selected and adjusted on-the-fly, and you can 'render' them to the track if you want to keep them.

The only bug I have found is that the MIDI filter won't actually filter out program changes, which was a pain in the rear end because in pattern mode it sends a PC at the beginning of each phrase or pattern loop. It was a big problem at first because you can't compose a phrase or pattern with no program number. Luckily my synths' input filters work fine.

Overall, pretty happy I didn't buy a lesser device, such as an iPad. ;)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I can grab a crossgrade of Komplete 9 for 200 bucks. Do they really only offer it on DVDs? You know, because modern machines don't really have physical media options anymore..

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

magiccarpet posted:

I can grab a crossgrade of Komplete 9 for 200 bucks. Do they really only offer it on DVDs? You know, because modern machines don't really have physical media options anymore..

Yep, only DVDs. It's like 18 DVDs so they probably have bandwidth concerns on their end. Took forever to install for me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

K9U comes on a hard drive, so you should probably just buy that for convenience's sake.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Once you register I think you can download the disc images.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

shoplifter posted:

Once you register I think you can download the disc images.

As far as I was able to figure out, you can't do that until you've installed at least some of it from the physical media. I didn't try too hard, though, so I may be wrong on that.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Need advice on a sequencer. I just accepted an amazing job offer so I'm going to reward myself with a piece of hardware. Currently I have a minibrute and a blofeld. I'm looking to put together a small rig that I can take over to my buddy's house to do some (terrible) jamming with him and his guitar. I'm very curious about the Elektron stuff and I can't decide between a MachineDrum or an Octatrak.

What I'm looking for is something than can percussively keep time (sample or synth, doesn't really matter) and sequence one of the synths. Effects aren't really that important as I have my guitar pedal board I could bring along--I just want something that I can 'play' to keep our jams interesting and on time :)

Assuming I like the Elektron workflow, I could see myself with both a MD and and Octatrack eventually but probably not until at least early next year. Thoughts/suggestions?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

They pulled it from the site for some reason. I don't know when they did a redesign for the site, but it used to be the case that all firmware versions since 1.15 or something were available for download. Now there is none for the desktop version.

I found this KVR thread which has a link to supposedly "stable" 1.21 on page 4, but I'm not going to try it before I've verified that I have 1.16b and the recovery thing lying around somewhere. Or I guess I'll just wait for more news anyway.
The way it's worded on the site, suggests to me that this is firmware for the keyboard part of the Blofeld Keyboard and not for the Blofeld part of it, maybe? 1.3 isn't a logical follower in the sequence 1.15 > 1.16b > 1.20 > 1.21 anyway and the Blofeld so far has always shared firmware between desktop and keyboard versions otherwise.

They pulled 1.20/1.21 because they were unstable (random volume changes, unisono was always on, etc). One of the OS programmers posts in the Waldorf Blofeld Facebook group just posted the link to 1.22 which, according to him, is out of beta. http://bucket.waldorfmusic.de/blofeld/BlofeldV122.zip

EDIT: That 1.3 firmware is for the keyboard scanner (fixes some velocity stuff).

Bolange posted:

According to the OS programmer guy:

quote:

Fixed: Update/downgrade now possible... should also upgrade from 1.21 to 1.22 without rescue file, jumping volume, some other value optimizing, multi mode single bank now available, oscillator common unisono now switchable, system optimizing. For all BloKey owner: Now you can play a single "Part" with the keys. Changing the Global MIDI channel will change the Part. Omni will play all parts at the same time, so you can use this for layer sounds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

They pulled 1.20/1.21 because they were unstable (random volume changes, unisono was always on, etc). One of the OS programmers posts in the Waldorf Blofeld Facebook group just posted the link to 1.22 which, according to him, is out of beta. http://bucket.waldorfmusic.de/blofeld/BlofeldV122.zip

EDIT: That 1.3 firmware is for the keyboard scanner (fixes some velocity stuff).

According to the OS programmer guy:
Thanks for the link! I'm a bit bothered by the fact that these things are only accessible through a facebook group that you need approval for to join. That I didn't even know existed until today. Not just this; there was apparently a 1.18b update last year that fixed encoder issues for a lot of people that never made it to the site. Also annoys me they took the old firmwares off the site.

The result is that the release notes you posted are 1.21 > 1.22 and there's no way for me to find out what happened since 1.16b, which was the recommended firmware for years.

Mostly wondering whether the arpeggiator will sync to tempo properly now.

Again thanks though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Mostly wondering whether the arpeggiator will sync to tempo properly now.

Again thanks though.

No problem. As for arpeggiator sync, a lot of people have commented that it's a lot better now.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Love the 1U module above the Virus. "Product name? How about a shitton of knobs, switches and buttons instead?"

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
novation supremacy

also wow blofeld updates, hooray

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Tweakers delight :)

I can also make long distance phone calls from the dial pad

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Roland JD-990 and Access Virus buddy :hfive:

EDIT:

Bad news about the new Blofeld firmware: looks like there's still problems with arpeggiator syncing. :(

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 26, 2014

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Bad news about the new Blofeld firmware: looks like there's still problems with arpeggiator syncing. :(

lmao jesus christ Waldorf sort it out

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Scatterfold posted:

It might be something they can't even fix since the DSP in that thing is hilariously underpowered.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

It might be something they can't even fix since the DSP in that thing is hilariously underpowered.
At this point I'd even take it if they got it working properly with effects and unison disabled.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

At this point I'd even take it if they got it working properly with effects and unison disabled.

Same since I rarely really use effects or unison. Or, they could just upgrade the DSPs. :v:

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
The effects on the Blofeld are pretty terrible (the reverb sounds like you're recording something in a giant bath tub) so I'd jump on an update like that. Even if it changed practically nothing else.

edit: Waldorf should really consider making the firmware open source at this point. The Blofeld's been out, what, six years? I love the thing but Jesus. But I guess we'd end up with a $100 knckoff Behringer Dr. No synth then.

david mammoth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 26, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
THREADSHIT WARNING:

I've got an Ensoniq DP/4 Effects unit and Roland D-550 for sale if anyone is interested.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Scatterfold posted:

Sorry, they're too busy breaking 64-bit Largo.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Radiapathy posted:

Sorry, they're too busy breaking 64-bit Largo.

:eyepop: because there's no :earpop:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Okay the plug-out thing with the System-1 is rad as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnApHTrgcg

The System-1 itself is not something I would be able to put to good use, but I really like both the idea and the implementation.

Let's see how many plug-outs Roland makes, though. (Although I genuinely hope it's successful.)

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

VoodooXT posted:

Are you guys familiar with the JD-990? How do I start a patch from scratch? I've had this thing forever and only ever used the presets.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Skeletron posted:

Are you guys familiar with the JD-990? How do I start a patch from scratch? I've had this thing forever and only ever used the presets.

How to init a patch: [Utility] -> [F3] Init -> [F1] Init, gives you a basic saw waveform in the temp buffer

Anyway, making patches from scratch is a little more complicated. I usually just mess around with the settings until I get something that sounds interesting then I continue to work that. I've gotten a couple of interesting soundscape patches that way. It helps to screw around with the routing options since the init (and funny enough, almost all the factory patches) default to routing 1, which is running the two oscillators and filters in parallel.

Also, a little tip: in some instances, don't push filter resonance past 40; turns out the JD-990 has weird problems with resonance and it actually starts clipping when it's too high.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VoodooXT posted:

Skeletron posted:

Ooh ooh can I join the Super JD club too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This setup from Alesandro Corsini crazy and wonderful and also really well thought out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

It's impressive how much he does live as opposed to recorded or sequenced.