Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ojetor posted:

ebook formats are great for reading books but absolutely terrible as reference manuals for consulting during a game. I would pay money for an actual GW-made, searchable and bookmarked PDF version of the print codex.

Would you pay for an iPad? Assuming you don't already have one, what you've described is pretty much the iBooks version of the various books. I have a pretty liberal approach to the digital versions, if I have the print version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ojetor posted:

ebook formats are great for reading books but absolutely terrible as reference manuals for consulting during a game. I would pay money for an actual GW-made, searchable and bookmarked PDF version of the print codex.

The saddest and shittiest part of this is that the process of making the book layouts in InDesign/Quark/whatever makes producing PDFs the easiest loving format ever. The document they send to the printers could be (and is, that's how they review it) easily exported to a searchable PDF with about 2 extra minutes of time. They actually have to do significantly more work to format the book into those lovely epub and mobi formats. Pirates are actually releasing a superior product digitally.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 22, 2014

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Depending on points, the Ork's relic list might not be hot garbage like a lot of others. The bike, choppa, cap, and lucky stix all look usable

RELICS
Da Ded Shiny Shoota – Assault 6 Shoota, twinlinked, rolls of 1 richochet into friendly units.

Lucky Stixx – Can choose to reroll failed hit, wound or saving throws, if 3 of these rerolls fail in a single turn the model is removed.

Warboss Gazbag’s Blitzbike – Bike, Assault 3, AP 3, Str 6 twinlinked shots.

Headwoppa’s Killchoppa – Str +2, AP5, rending, two handed, rolls of 6 are instant death.

Da Finkin Kap – Warlord gets a strategic trait along with his normal warlord trait.

Da Fixer Upperz – repair vehicles on 3+ (hull points, weapon destroyed or immobilised).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Some of the Imperial Guard relics are really cool but goddamn sticking them in a company command squad just seems like painting an even bigger bulls-eye on them. Space Marines and Chaos have the most useful ones so far I think, just because their HQ options are so much more survivable.

panascope fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Would this not be the last week for Ork releases? When do the MANz come? :smith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Would this not be the last week for Ork releases? When do the MANz come? :smith:

Week after, I assume. GW's changing up the release schedules on stuff so much lately that it could kind of come out any time whatsoever. That's the point of the weekly release schedule, even if it hasn't really been taken advantage of yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, I thought they were trying to keep the releases to within the month. Well, at least I can split my spending into two weeks!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Oh, I just thought they were trying to keep the releases to within the month.
They have up til now. I'm actually pretty happy they're releasing next week or whatever, since it sets a precedent for them to do stuff outside month and not just have the same old release schedule under a different name. The hope with the weekly releases was that they'd plug a few random holes in ranges and just release the odd kit here and there, but unfortunately that's yet to really happen.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

panascope posted:

Some of the Imperial Guard relics are really cool but goddamn sticking them in a company command squad just seems like painting an even bigger bulls-eye on them. Space Marines and Chaos have the most useful ones so far I think, just because their HQ options are so much more survivable.

Definitely true for the IG ones- you can't just stack an extra 40 or 50pts onto a T3 5+ guy and assume it's gonna work out good. It doesn't help that IG is extremely limited in who is allowed to take which ones as well.

SM and CSM both get some really good "relics," but don't forget the Tau or Eldar ones, either- I'm sure most folks are familiar with the so-called Buff Commander, who typically runs with three different relics at once, and the Mantle of the Laughing God for 2+ rerollable cover saves.

Basically everyone except DA and IG got good relics, is what I'm saying.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Dark Angels get a master-crafted combi-plasma cannon. That is cool as heck. Plus that S+3 mace can ID a lot of poo poo at Initiative.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

AbusePuppy posted:

Definitely true for the IG ones- you can't just stack an extra 40 or 50pts onto a T3 5+ guy and assume it's gonna work out good. It doesn't help that IG is extremely limited in who is allowed to take which ones as well.

SM and CSM both get some really good "relics," but don't forget the Tau or Eldar ones, either- I'm sure most folks are familiar with the so-called Buff Commander, who typically runs with three different relics at once, and the Mantle of the Laughing God for 2+ rerollable cover saves.

Basically everyone except DA and IG got good relics, is what I'm saying.

I'd say the tyranid relics are pretty average at best. Only two I ever ended up using were the norn crown and miasma cannon, and the crown is really too expensive for what it does. I wish one of the relics was just what two sets of scything talons were in the old book. I'd run that on a trygon or trygon prime for 30-40 points even though it'd be really expensive.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/06/40k-breaking-ork-codex-rules_22.html

120% in, if this poo poo is true. Tons of point reductions and cheaper weapon swaps are a helluva deal in exchange for the Ramshackle chart (though I will miss it, and I'm pretty certain my group will demand that all of our ork players still use it, anyway). The #1 thing in this whole codex, all the nice/new stuff aside, is the new WAAAAGH! rule: run and charge in the same turn.*

*House-ruling the same thing for all our Tyranid players, because gently caress yeah, galaxy-consuming hunger :unsmigghh:

Also, "Da Krusha" psychic power is Foot of G/Mork :colbert:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I don't know if I would give them enough credit to say that WAAAAGH! is new. It just allows Orks to behave the same as they did when their last codex was released originally, before Fleet was changed.

So are there formations in the actual codex for Orks, or is this formation they're talking about the supplement that comes with the more expensive version of the Codex?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Discospawn posted:

I don't know if I would give them enough credit to say that WAAAAGH! is new. It just allows Orks to behave the same as they did when their last codex was released originally, before Fleet was changed.

So are there formations in the actual codex for Orks, or is this formation they're talking about the supplement that comes with the more expensive version of the Codex?

Potential 18" armywide charge turn 2 with rerolls on the charge dice is crazy good

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/06/40k-breaking-ork-codex-rules_22.html

120% in, if this poo poo is true. Tons of point reductions and cheaper weapon swaps are a helluva deal in exchange for the Ramshackle chart (though I will miss it, and I'm pretty certain my group will demand that all of our ork players still use it, anyway). The #1 thing in this whole codex, all the nice/new stuff aside, is the new WAAAAGH! rule: run and charge in the same turn.*

*House-ruling the same thing for all our Tyranid players, because gently caress yeah, galaxy-consuming hunger :unsmigghh:

Also, "Da Krusha" psychic power is Foot of G/Mork :colbert:

I must be reading this wrong, these points values can't be right. what does stuff like "deff dread: 8* points" mean?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Ignite Memories posted:

I must be reading this wrong, these points values can't be right. what does stuff like "deff dread: 8* points" mean?

BoLS and Dakka and WS poo poo themselves at the thought of lawsuits, so don't post point values. 8* means "80 something points".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Discospawn posted:

Must be in the codex, the CE data slate is physical only right now.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Can we take a break from Ork discussion for a second?

A new trailer for The Lord Inquisitor just released today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
Looking rather splendid indeed.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lord Inquisitor looks rad.

Lord Twisted posted:

BoLS and Dakka and WS poo poo themselves at the thought of lawsuits, so don't post point values. 8* means "80 something points".

This is idiotic. At most they'd get a cease and desist, take the post down, and the damage would already be done as people would have copied and pasted it all over the internet, for which BoLS couldn't be held accountable.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Enentol posted:

This is looking better and better. ADB's involved so I have some faith in how it'll turn out from a narrative standpoint, but I know for sure it's gonna be a treat visually.

Lord Twisted posted:

You mean it costs two and a half Rhinos plus a stormbolter? That's my favorite.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Just about finished ruining this Land Raider kit with knives and glue:

Now to break out the household emulsion!

As an aside: Any UK goon have a metal Ghazghkull they wouldn't mind getting shot of? For some reason I've never picked him up, and gently caress getting him in Finecast. I have no fear of pinning.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Shallow posted:

Just about finished ruining this Land Raider kit with knives and glue:

Now to break out the household emulsion!

As an aside: Any UK goon have a metal Ghazghkull they wouldn't mind getting shot of? For some reason I've never picked him up, and gently caress getting him in Finecast. I have no fear of pinning.

God ... drat. That is perfectly amazing. :staredog: :orks:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

That sponson gunner is awesome. Well done.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

RELICS
Da Finkin Kap – Warlord gets a strategic trait along with his normal warlord trait.

I guess it probably doesn't matter if you can take multiple relics per character, but if not it seems like you could give this to a non-warlord character to buff your warlord. I like the idea of the boss having a mek soothsayer with a tin-foil hat giving him strategic advice.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Presumably it doesn't let non-warlords generate traits. No other book has limited you to one relic per HQ either, though, as far as I recall. I'm not sure why Orks would start.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Presumably it doesn't let non-warlords generate traits.

Well, yes, but that's not what it says, it says your warlord generates an extra trait. No mention of what happens if the character with the hat isn't the Warlord, but RAW it seems to say that if you've taken the Kap in your army, your warlord has an extra trait.

It's not even really exploitable since it has its effect at the beginning of the battle and after that it won't matter what happens to the hat. If it dies but your warlord doesn't, nothing happens, same as if your Warlord had been wearing it. If your Warlord dies, you lose the traits, again same as if he'd been wearing it.

The primary use of such a strategem seems to be (a) fluffy stuff like Monoliths proposed, (b) to troll people who can't be bothered to parse the rules out far enough to realize that it makes literally no difference.

(If I'm wrong and it does make a difference, please let me know)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm painting squad markings on my warbuggies, and I haven't even seen the 7th edition rules. Can vehicle squadrons still target multiple units with their shooting?

I used to enjoy using 2 teams of a TL-rokkit buggy and a skorcha buggy, and i'd probably mark them as such if I can still use them that way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Monoliths posted:

I guess it probably doesn't matter if you can take multiple relics per character, but if not it seems like you could give this to a non-warlord character to buff your warlord. I like the idea of the boss having a mek soothsayer with a tin-foil hat giving him strategic advice.

Well I have been looking for a use for the old mad boy model with a night cap from 2nd edition I picked up.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Wonky rules situation -

Flyers explicitly state that they cannot be hit by Blasts and Templates while jetting around. FMCs do not have that rule - their rules simply state that shots fired at a Swooping FMC are Snap Shots unless the unit or weapon is packing Skyfire. Skyfire lets you fire at FMCs at full BS. As a result, FMCs can be hit by Blasts and Templates if they have Skyfire.

Is this correct? Me and my play group have been through the book front and back, and can't find anything disallowing it, and have been playing it as such. We're sure we're overlooking something simple, but we can't spot it. It doesn't affect much, since Skyfire is very hard to get (though the day a Vindicator hops on a Skyfire Nexus will be grim indeed) but Crones breathing fire on Daemon Princes as the Daemon Prince flings back blasts of Warp energy is just rad as gently caress.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Von Humboldt posted:

Wonky rules situation -

Flyers explicitly state that they cannot be hit by Blasts and Templates while jetting around. FMCs do not have that rule - their rules simply state that shots fired at a Swooping FMC are Snap Shots unless the unit or weapon is packing Skyfire. Skyfire lets you fire at FMCs at full BS. As a result, FMCs can be hit by Blasts and Templates if they have Skyfire.

Is this correct? Me and my play group have been through the book front and back, and can't find anything disallowing it, and have been playing it as such. We're sure we're overlooking something simple, but we can't spot it. It doesn't affect much, since Skyfire is very hard to get (though the day a Vindicator hops on a Skyfire Nexus will be grim indeed) but Crones breathing fire on Daemon Princes as the Daemon Prince flings back blasts of Warp energy is just rad as gently caress.

I think you're correct? If you compare the paragraphs for "Hard to Hit" between Swooping FMCs and Zooming Flyers it specifically states anything that doesn't roll to hit can't hit Zooming Flyers; that distinction isn't made for Swooping FMCs. The reason is probably exactly for that; so FMCs can fight each other with their Templates and Blasts. The chances of something with a Template/Blast/L.Blast also getting Skyfire (if it couldn't already get it like the Riptide) is pretty slim as far as I can tell.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Enentol posted:

Holy poo poo, this just looks better and better.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fearless posted:

Holy poo poo, this just looks better and better.

Now compare it to the godawful movie Games Workshop actually released several years back.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Warhammer 40k is a wonderful IP that can be used effectively by nearly any company except Games Workshop.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

Now compare it to the godawful movie Games Workshop actually released several years back.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Warhammer 40k is a wonderful IP that can be used effectively by nearly any company except Games Workshop.

Wait, GW actually made/licensed a movie?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah and the average bangbus video shoot had a better plot and character development.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah and the average bangbus video shoot had a better plot and character development.

I honestly think the CEOs kid made it during a school break.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Walking Around in Power Armor, the Movie

Here's a rules conundrum: template weapons cannot fire snap-shots. If I have a Battlewagon full of Burnas get shaken, can they fire overwatch?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Walking Around in Power Armor, the Movie

Here's a rules conundrum: template weapons cannot fire snap-shots. If I have a Battlewagon full of Burnas get shaken, can they fire overwatch?

I'd say yes, since Overwatch is snapfiring with the added feature that template weapons deal d3 automatic hits.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

It was made independently by Codex Pictures, a rebranded name for the studio that made the Bionicle straight to DVD animated movies. Apparently GW didn't give them any money for it and just let them do their thing. Dan Abnett wrote it, but you wouldn't know it from watching it. It's really mediocre, and the animation's on par with the 90s Starship Troopers show, but the writing isn't as good. It has a bunch of famous old British people in it. It did have a pretty decent soundtrack though. Anyway, here's the trailer, which is basically the 90 best seconds of the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2vdqHkz9s

I'm generally really positive about GW's products and try to see the silver lining, but Ultramarines: The Movie is a pretty dire piece of media.

SRM fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
no one noticed that a full tenth of the imperial fists was guarding a barren loving rock

• Locked thread