Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

bloodychill posted:

And yet Kingdom Hearts are terrible games with nonsense plots and half-baked combat systems that get by on Disney and FF nostalgia. If we're talking about "what makes SE money" we all know the big winner is FF11.

This is so wrong. :colbert: Kingdom Hearts could completely excise the Disney and FF aspects and they'd still have fun gameplay with a hilariously convoluted story. And yes, I think the ridiculous story is part of the charm.

Really, KH doesn't do enough with Disney and FF! There's a ton of potential for cool crossovers that goes untapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
B-but I liked Kingdom Hearts 2's battle system. I thought it was fun...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Eddain posted:

I don't really have a problem with them and didn't even notice that FFX Lulu's dress was entirely belts until someone pointed it out on SA.

Hell, FFIX Blank had a belt over his face and I thought it was rather distinctive.

People will talk 'bout Blank's headbelt but nobody ever talks about how he's some sort of stitched-up golem man. With no pants.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Yeah I think Blank's body was rather hard to see in-game, plus you only see him for a few minutes at most since he gets petrified and everything.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bloodychill posted:

It's weird that you didn't notice something so visually obvious and was a major part of a character's look.

Yeah, I agree. It's so weird that he didn't notice something so obvious when most of her time on-screen you can only see the upper-half of her body. How bizzare that he didn't notice her lower half was entirely belts during the lower res scenes where they look nothing like a billion belts.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Final Fantasy Megathread: You didn't notice the belts?!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kingdom Hearts combat system is great and Nomura improves upon it in every new game (For the most part). The story is stupid yeah, but they're hilarious. You're entitled to your opinion and all, but it is not one shared by the majority of people, especially when those games run well for both reviewers and general audiences alike.

Also yeah, I didn't notice Lulu's belts either until I saw a drawn image of Lulu. The game doesn't really show them off a lot and it's not like Lulu's most defined feature on her body is her lower half.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I agree. It's so weird that he didn't notice something so obvious when most of her time on-screen you can only see the upper-half of her body. How bizzare that he didn't notice her lower half was entirely belts during the lower res scenes where they look nothing like a billion belts.

I don't know what game you were playing mister sarcastic man.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

bloodychill posted:

And yet Kingdom Hearts are terrible games with nonsense plots and half-baked combat systems that get by on Disney and FF nostalgia. If we're talking about "what makes SE money" we all know the big winner is FF11.

Nomura is, like a lot of dudes, at his best when he's reined in and collaborating on a bigger team run by someone less head in the clouds.

I'm not actually a fan of Nomura's work and I find the Kingdom Hearts games fundamentally unappealing. I just think the guy's a lightning rod for criticism better directed towards Square-Enix as a whole simply because his artwork is the face of the company.

And despite my own opinions regarding KH, the franchise is by no means a failure. The real make-or-break point for Nomura now, though, is XV.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
XV is the first actual Final Fantasy game he's directing so if nothing else, it will be special.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If you think KH gets by only on nostalgia then I don't think you know anything about how that series rolls.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

bloodychill posted:

Maybe if he'd drawn those belts around her chest, we'd have all noticed the first time around. :colbert:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Haha, precisely.

Beef Waifu posted:

XV is the first actual Final Fantasy game he's directing so if nothing else, it will be special.

Very much agreed. We'll.. definitely see how this goes.

Regarding the nostalgia thing, that was just based on my own playthroughs of 1 and 2 at release. I didn't really enjoy the games much and was scratching my head as to why they appealed to a lot of people and that was the reason that made most sense back then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe they just... appealed to a lot of people? There doesn't have to be some grand reason that they 'get by.' You didn't like something a lot of people do. poo poo happens.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

bloodychill posted:

Wow is that really what her original model looked like? I played the game when it was new but I guess the HD Remaster did a better job than I thought. And here I've been annoyed at how ugly it is.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I'm beginning to imagine this thread as a weird smoking lounge where everyone is dressed in smoking jackets with large moustaches (even the girl goons) and talking like 1900s Brits, all whilst scoffing a lot. :psyduck:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's called the Edwardian era. :chord:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Well I never :monocle:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm beginning to imagine this thread as a weird smoking lounge where everyone is dressed in smoking jackets with large moustaches (even the girl goons) and talking like 1900s Brits, all whilst scoffing a lot. :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure you can dress Lightning like that in Lightning Returns, moustache included.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's called the Edwardian era. :chord:

'La Belle Époque', you uncultured swine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
When I think of bad Nomura designs, I think of Dirge of Cerberus mostly. That game had some atrocious ones.

Also X-2. I'm not sure if he did the Dressphere designs in that game, but Nooj is probably his worst looking creation ever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

'La Belle Époque', you uncultured swine.

Of course I'd get out-scoffed by...

The French.

Welcome back, forums.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
While we were gone, we got a new trailer for Patch 2.3 of FF14. Also, Steam sale includes FF games, though you'll find FF14 cheaper on Amazon right now.

Play FF14.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
FF14 is also getting a stretch of free time starting July 11th, so at the very least give it a try.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That looks like a big loving patch. :eyepop:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The French.

Welcome back, forums.

Lightning saved the forums! Are we all French now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bloodychill posted:

My favorite bit of trivia about X is that Nomura intentionally designed Lulu with all the belts and fur to challenge the people who did the FMVs, who in response put her in as few FMVs as possible, and only from the waist up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I said come in! posted:

I am so ready to make my Magical Carbuncle Bedroom and get Amon's Fabulous Hat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Calaveron posted:

My favorite bit of trivia about X is that Nomura intentionally designed Lulu with all the belts and fur to challenge the people who did the FMVs, who in response put her in as few FMVs as possible, and only from the waist up.

And if you're only going to show the waist up in FMV you better make it interesting I suppose.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The beauty is that all the major patches are that big, with several smaller patches in between adding 50-75% of that content. If nothing else, the FF14 crew are constantly adding more and more new things at a steady rate. The game recently passed the 2 million player mark, so they must be doing something right.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Today's daily deals on Steam have FF14 at $12.50 as well. The game comes with a free month and it's $15 per month anyway, so you're basically getting the game for free.

I'll be waiting to get FF14 until I get a PS4 so I have something to play on it :v:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Today's daily deals on Steam have FF14 at $12.50 as well. The game comes with a free month and it's $15 per month anyway, so you're basically getting the game for free.

I'll be waiting to get FF14 until I get a PS4 so I have something to play on it :v:

You have a pretty lovely definition of "free".

Blunder bus
Jan 27, 2012

All aboard the Blunder Bus!

Mr. Maltose posted:

FF14 is also getting a stretch of free time starting July 11th, so at the very least give it a try.

What's this about? I haven't played an MMO with a subscription since WoW but I did play that for years. I liked GW2 but am on an EU server with no goons. From a Final Fantasy PoV I absolutely loved FF6, enjoyed 7. Thought 8 was decent. Played 9. Binned 10 a couple of hours in and haven't been back since.

FFIV is in the steam sale at the moment for a tenner and I'm very tempted. If I can get a bit of free time in addition to my free month then it's probably going to be worth a punt. My years of Warcraft have left me jaded though, and I'm very wary of a sub service that makes me feel I have to play a game like a job to feel I'm getting value for money!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Should clarify that it's only for people who already own the game, so it's more an incentive for people who stopped playing to come back and give the new content a try.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

B-but I liked Kingdom Hearts 2's battle system. I thought it was fun...

Yeah, KH II and Birth by Sleep were very fun games. I thought the first was clunky, and 3D was dragged down by a lot of poor design decisions, but they're still alright.

The FF XIII trilogy just felt like a weird compromise between full action combat, and strategic turn-based combat. Even in Lightning Returns, where you're given control of her movement and actions, it still feels really slow and clunky since it's just adapted from XIII/-2's combat system, rather than built from the ground up for it. For instance, trying to attack a weak spot on the back of the enemy is difficult, since Lightning moves so slowly when you control her directly, and will only run if she's attacking. Blocking is very unresponsive, which makes it hard to do perfect blocks, and switching to different enemies is not made easy by the camera. Moving would have been useful in the previous games, since your party members were too dumb to spread out when an enemy used an attack with an area of effect, but since you don't have any other party members in LR, every attack will hit you no matter what.

I'd love to play another big-budget Kingdom Hearts-style game, especially since they've all been stuck on PS2-level hardware. They wouldn't need to have small areas separated by loading screens, enemies spawning in when you get close to them, or parties limited to three people. That FF XV trailer at E3 2013 looked pretty great, especially since it has playable setpieces rather than everything happening in cutscenes or as part of the battle system.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Frabba posted:

You have a pretty lovely definition of "free".

MMOs are a pretty lovely value proposition :v:

I actually never got FF14 because of the monthly fee even though I know I'll like it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

I actually never got FF14 because of the monthly fee even though I know I'll like it.

If you play 15 hours a month that's probably better dollar value than most actual games you can buy on the market.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Plus, if the $15/mo is unpalatable, there's a $12/mo sub option whose only restriction is one character per server - in an MMO where one character can literally level every class and do basically anything.

(if you're just fundamentally opposed to subscriptions at all, well, that's silly stop being silly sorry, I guess? :v:)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Should clarify that it's only for people who already own the game, so it's more an incentive for people who stopped playing to come back and give the new content a try.

That's cool, I probably wouldn't have heard about this elsewhere. Nice time to hop on and try things out again, I stopped playing around level 40 I think just because my free month ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

That loving Sned posted:

I'd love to play another big-budget Kingdom Hearts-style game, especially since they've all been stuck on PS2-level hardware. They wouldn't need to have small areas separated by loading screens, enemies spawning in when you get close to them, or parties limited to three people. That FF XV trailer at E3 2013 looked pretty great, especially since it has playable setpieces rather than everything happening in cutscenes or as part of the battle system.

I'm growing more and more certain that the FFXV trailer shown at e3 2013 was a smoke and mirrors target render. For example, Silicon Studios provides the lighting middleware for several SE games/tech demos. Their website listed FFXV as a tech demo:

It also lists the Agni's Philosophy as a real time demo:

But it Gunslinger Stratos as an action game:

http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/yebis/en/showcase/gamelist/

Did SE use pre-rendered footage to assuage consumer and investor fear of lacking a major FF game for next gen consoles? It wouldn't be without precedent since they used pre-rendered footage for FFXIII at e3 2006 for similar reasons. It would explain the radio silence following its re-reveal at e3 2013. It would also explain the unusual step of missing e3 2014 after an additional year of development since e3 was an important enough event for them to show the game in the first place.

However, the battle arena trailer set in the plaza should be real footage. That trailer used uses up-rezzed PS3 assets and uses the same animations from the 2011 FFvsXIII trailer. It looks like a debug battle site for developers. Regardless, the situation surrounding the game is eerily similar to FFXIII's first reveal at e3 2006. We have the same evasiveness and lack of information that suggests a very troubled development cycle.

FFXIV:ARR is probably the best FF game to come out in years. If you give it a try through the trial period, I highly recommend you join a guild or a group of friends to get the most out of the experience. This can be a very frustrating experience if you play it by the ear and solo it.