Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
HI GUYS I MISSED YOU

There has been so much confusing pol and no aus to explain it neatly with dick jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

wat

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kat Delacour posted:

HI GUYS I MISSED YOU

There has been so much confusing pol and no aus to explain it neatly with dick jokes

See, the Federal Government is the erect penis, and the poor Australians are the arsehole that's about to be raped.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

And we're back!

What better way to resume normal programming than with a :siren: :siren: FRESH NARRATIVE :siren: :siren:

http://hereisthenarrative.com.au/2014/06/24/how-to-wield-the-australian-dream-like-a-giant-spiked-club/

quote:

Buyers’ agent and noted parasite Chris Grey has five infernally hot tips for protecting your precious, precious investment from those who are either badly dressed or aware of their rights.

Thanks to Freeze Peach, Small Keating and another goon whose handle I know not.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
3 days without auspol and Al Gore is announcing things with Clive Palmer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It turns out that you can't appeal DIBP decisions if you're not in the country, even if you have a family member who is, even if the form draws distinctions between them and only mentions that one of those two needs to be. DIBP says to go to the Tribunal and the Tribunal says they can't handle it because it is outside their jurisdiction. So, then what? Lawyer up? Lodge another application? All because someone in the DIBP can't read a single loving date correctly and no one in that loving department has the balls to admit they screwed up?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Ahhhh Auspol

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Those On My Left posted:

And we're back!

What better way to resume normal programming than with a :siren: :siren: FRESH NARRATIVE :siren: :siren:

http://hereisthenarrative.com.au/2014/06/24/how-to-wield-the-australian-dream-like-a-giant-spiked-club/

Thanks to Freeze Peach, Small Keating and another goon whose handle I know not.

10/10

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

It turns out that you can't appeal DIBP decisions if you're not in the country, even if you have a family member who is, even if the form draws distinctions between them and only mentions that one of those two needs to be. DIBP says to go to the Tribunal and the Tribunal says they can't handle it because it is outside their jurisdiction. So, then what? Lawyer up? Lodge another application? All because someone in the DIBP can't read a single loving date correctly and no one in that loving department has the balls to admit they screwed up?

Yeah, you're going to need to see a lawyer dude. I'm sorry :(

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Milky Moor posted:

I like to imagine the DIBP building to be like the ministry of magic when it was controlled by Voldemort - Full of a mixture of terrified, broken people and hardcore authoritarian yes-men, and decorated with thinly-veiled fascist iconography

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Hey everyone, country is still poo poo, Morrison is still an asswipe. Good to have people to yell with and I missed getting my news from here.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

I like to imagine the DIBP building to be like the ministry of magic when it was controlled by Voldemort - Full of a mixture of terrified, broken people and hardcore authoritarian yes-men, and decorated with thinly-veiled fascist iconography

DIBP is even worse than you imagine. They are obscenely unethical. They have standing arrangements with legal firms with the instructions "Fight. Every. loving. Thing." which is basically the polar opposite of the "model litigant" stance that governments are meant to take. Even when they lose a case, they do things like delay paying costs for literally years.

People I know and love have done some work with people in DIBP and assures me (as I don't doubt) that there are some very conscientious and noble people there who are really trying to do an impossible job, but it is clear to me that they are currently losing the battle against a really toxic culture.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
My fellow ausposters, our long national nightmare is over.

Oh wait nope still going full steam ahead, 49.999999% chance of you being tortured to death if repatriated? Enjoy your trip!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You asked me once, what was in the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol is the worst thing in the world.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone missed it, here is Scott Morrison telling refugees to "get on with the rest of your life".

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Gough Suppressant posted:

My fellow ausposters, our long national nightmare is over.

Oh wait nope still going full steam ahead, 49.999999% chance of you being tortured to death if repatriated? Enjoy your trip!

I want to know how they formulate a % response to something like deporting someone back to the war-conflicted zone they came from.

"Wasn't shot on the way here, hasn't been shot in detention... can only assume will continue not being shot". *rubber stamps DEPORT onto form*

NEXT

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God I've missed you Auspol.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If anyone missed it, here is Scott Morrison telling refugees to "get on with the rest of your life".

Boy I sure missed this thread. For three days, articles like this weren't brought to my attention and my outrage nearly disappeared.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

And yet getting into the country 'the proper way' is an exercise in immense frustration. I'm going to have a loving party when this idiot dies.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
Auspol news update:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/southern-crossroads/2014/jun/25/clive-palmer-al-gore-climate-change-renewable-energy-carbon-price

Al Gore rode the mighty moonworm to team up with, of all people, Clive Palmer on climate change. Holy poo poo!
An interesting development and a dramatic day. Confirming that Clive Palmer is a better opposition leader than that other guy.

We are the new country that the world loves to hate.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/25/australias-foreign-policy-clumsiness-is-losing-us-the-asia-pacific

quote:

Australia has, for the time-being, lost not just Indonesia but Thailand’s support in regional forums such as the strategic Asean regional forum, the east Asia summit and others.

quote:

Globally, the Australian government’s enthusiasm for supporting a return to Iraq before the US has defined its own policy position, its questionable approach to climate change and now its failed attempt to overturn the Tasmanian forest world heritage listing, has left Australia further diplomatically isolated.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/25/australias-right-to-know-is-under-assault

Ignorance is bliss apparently.

quote:

The federal government will soon dismantle the FOI regime further. Sometime this year it will attempt to radically change the law.

The details are still unclear, but this is what we know so far. The Office of the Australian Commissioner (OAIC), designed to be a champion of open government, will be abolished. Complaints will be heard by the commonwealth ombudsman, although there will be given no additional resources to deal with them.

"We do not comment on on water operations, or anything else if we feel like."

Finally Bill Shorten has been doing... :shrug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Wow I hadn't had suicidal thoughts in like three days and now I think I'm going to go drink some bleach because Jesus Christ.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Serrath posted:

Boy I sure missed this thread. For three days, articles like this weren't brought to my attention and my outrage nearly disappeared.

It's stuff like this that makes me genuinely afraid for the future of this country. The level of hatred Scott Morrison and Tony Abbott have for refugees - for people fleeing very likely death and torture - is sickening. They aren't doing this out of stupidity or because they think it's doing what's best for these people. They're doing it out of hate - and history paints a horrifying picture of where this will end up going.

I can't say I've ever felt particularly proud to be an Australian but with this government I'm feeling an active revulsion to the idea of calling myself Australian. I think that's a good thing. :smith:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I can't believe how dependent I have become on Auspol.

I needed someone to hold me last night after Big Clive raised my hopes at the start of his announcement, praising Al Gore, talking about how Australia needs to be a global citizen etc. For those brief minutes, I thought he was seriously going to bring in an ETS while claiming to have "scrapped the tax"

*Farts*

:smith:

I guess I should be happy that we are keeping the green bank, ICCA and the RETs

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I can't say I've ever felt particularly proud to be an Australian but with this government I'm feeling an active revulsion to the idea of calling myself Australian. I think that's a good thing. :smith:

I don't post here often but I've been lurking in these threads for literally years now. I got my citizenship just last year; I left Canada for Australia within months after Harper was elected because, between him and Bush to the south, I felt a sincere revulsion to staying in that part of the world and I'd just graduated so I had a lot of options to move.

Now I'm here and I'm getting the same feeling I got in Canada in 2007 that the country is just moving in a direction that I cannot tolerate, where the bad starts to seriously outweigh the good and I'm wondering where in the world I may ever actually feel like I can support the local culture and policies. I hate feeling like "that guy" who immigrates into a country and suddenly has a million suggestions on how that country can do things "better" but jesus christ, this last year has just been so far beyond the pale. Has the country really so radially transformed in the last 7 years or was I seeing something that wasn't here in the first place?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah just a reminder to everyone that Clive Palmer is a dickhead and has promised to AXE THE TAX and that promise is not reliant on the Abbott government accepting an ETS and even if it were Palmers proposed ETS would place a zero price on carbon "until the rest of the world came along" whatever the gently caress that means.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

blindidiotgod posted:

I want to know how they formulate a % response to something like deporting someone back to the war-conflicted zone they came from.

"Wasn't shot on the way here, hasn't been shot in detention... can only assume will continue not being shot". *rubber stamps DEPORT onto form*

NEXT

The midpoint between white and brown on a deluxe paint chart.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Serrath posted:

I don't post here often but I've been lurking in these threads for literally years now. I got my citizenship just last year; I left Canada for Australia within months after Harper was elected because, between him and Bush to the south, I felt a sincere revulsion to staying in that part of the world and I'd just graduated so I had a lot of options to move.

Now I'm here and I'm getting the same feeling I got in Canada in 2007 that the country is just moving in a direction that I cannot tolerate, where the bad starts to seriously outweigh the good and I'm wondering where in the world I may ever actually feel like I can support the local culture and policies. I hate feeling like "that guy" who immigrates into a country and suddenly has a million suggestions on how that country can do things "better" but jesus christ, this last year has just been so far beyond the pale. Has the country really so radially transformed in the last 7 years or was I seeing something that wasn't here in the first place?

It wasn't here in the first place but it has also radically transformed for the worse.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Those On My Left posted:

And we're back!

Back in the saddle! Churn out them gold nuggets!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

If it helps, I find Canada to be way more tolerable than when I left, but I'm honestly not sure if it's gotten better, or if it's just that it seems less bad after spending extended periods of time in Australia.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yeah just a reminder to everyone that Clive Palmer is a dickhead and has promised to AXE THE TAX and that promise is not reliant on the Abbott government accepting an ETS and even if it were Palmers proposed ETS would place a zero price on carbon "until the rest of the world came along" whatever the gently caress that means.

It's not quite that bad - changing the price in a proposed ETS would be far easier than re-introducing a whole scheme. We also don't know how Palmer will go on the carbon tax repeal bill if he doesn't get what he wants re: ETS.

We're also keeping ARENA, the CEFC and the RET, which are honestly a huge part of what's been driving renewable investment. Losing the carbon price is bad, but I'd honestly take it over losing the CEFC and the RET.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's not quite that bad - changing the price in a proposed ETS would be far easier than re-introducing a whole scheme. We also don't know how Palmer will go on the carbon tax repeal bill if he doesn't get what he wants re: ETS.

We're also keeping ARENA, the CEFC and the RET, which are honestly a huge part of what's been driving renewable investment. Losing the carbon price is bad, but I'd honestly take it over losing the CEFC and the RET.

He was actually asked to clarify since the press conference and said that the carbon tax scrapping did not depend on Abbott supporting other measures.

It does mean Abbott can't scrap the CEFC etc, but doesn't force an ETS.

Also the next governor of SA is a boat person.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also all these questions of how does <insert politician here> sleep at night implies that they are not sociopathic monsters and that is a pretty loving laughable point to be arguing at this stage(but I am sure some will keep on trying to explain that no they really are doing what they think is best and are not knowingly causing harm to innocents)

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

HookShot posted:

If it helps, I find Canada to be way more tolerable than when I left, but I'm honestly not sure if it's gotten better, or if it's just that it seems less bad after spending extended periods of time in Australia.

What changed in Canada? As far as I could tell, it's just been poo poo sliding downhill for like 8 years now... I remember that it was Harper's maiden speech to parliament in 2006 that actually cemented my decision to leave. I was heavily involved in the Ontario NDP party and I understand that, since I left, they've done a complete 180 on all of their most important policies which implies a shift to the right in the whole political landscape. I don't even recognize the news about politics and policies that comes from the Toronto area any more...

Not to rant or anything, it's just that the last year have left me with the same taste in my mouth that I developed as the PCs came to power. It's not as easy to just pack up and move now, though...

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Get a boat and according to maritime law you are your own sovereign citizen and not subject to the laws of nations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

What changed in Canada? As far as I could tell, it's just been poo poo sliding downhill for like 8 years now... I remember that it was Harper's maiden speech to parliament in 2006 that actually cemented my decision to leave. I was heavily involved in the Ontario NDP party and I understand that, since I left, they've done a complete 180 on all of their most important policies which implies a shift to the right in the whole political landscape. I don't even recognize the news about politics and policies that comes from the Toronto area any more...

Not to rant or anything, it's just that the last year have left me with the same taste in my mouth that I developed as the PCs came to power. It's not as easy to just pack up and move now, though...

It's more about the attitude of the people. Back in 2006 it was kind of like "oh yeah Harper isn't the best but whatever" and now basically everyone I know is opposed to the pipelines, is angry at Harper for the poo poo he's done, and just generally want change. I will honestly be incredibly surprised if he wins the next election. I don't know anything about Ontario politics, but I do know that in 2011 Jack loving Layton came surprisingly close to becoming Prime Minister, and while I don't think the NDP will show as well next election with Mulcair, I think the Canadian people are getting more and more sick of Harper's poo poo, and it's going to be the end of him. So yeah, the politics look bleak, but Canadians in general seem to have finally understood how poo poo he is for the country.

Plus it's really nice to have conversations with strangers without someone randomly saying something incredibly racist, but I lived in Brisbane, things might be different where you are.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

HookShot posted:

Plus it's really nice to have conversations with strangers without someone randomly saying something incredibly racist, but I lived in Brisbane, things might be different where you are.

Gold Coast...

e: so yeah, same problem. A conversation I have with strangers often is the difference between "good" immigrants (e.g., canadians) and "bad" immigrants (e.g., anyone non white).

e2: I tell friends from back home about these conversations and they don't believe me or they think I'm exaggerating... "but I've met Australians in Banff, they seem so nice"

Serrath fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Do you guys want some poo poo opinions from a garbage newspaper?

Probably not, but I don't care. I read them and now you have to.

Dodor of Dandenong

L.Nicholson of Kingsbury

Simon Marston of Eltham

Graham Chapman of Mildura

Phillip Servaes of Wangaratta

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

Gold Coast...

e: so yeah, same problem. A conversation I have with strangers often is the difference between "good" immigrants (e.g., canadians) and "bad" immigrants (e.g., anyone non white).

Hahah yeah, exactly. That, or like I'll have a totally normal conversation with someone and it'll go like this.

"Oh yeah, so you've graduated from high school and done some travelling?"
"Yeah, exactly, I'm thinking of going to University next year."
"That's cool, do you know where you're going to go yet?"
"Well I was thinking of Sydney, but you know, there's too many gooks there"

:suicide:

It just comes out of nowhere.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

Do you guys want some poo poo opinions from a garbage newspaper?

Probably not, but I don't care. I read them and now you have to.

Made it up to Influx and said fuckit, not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

HookShot posted:

Hahah yeah, exactly. That, or like I'll have a totally normal conversation with someone and it'll go like this.

"Oh yeah, so you've graduated from high school and done some travelling?"
"Yeah, exactly, I'm thinking of going to University next year."
"That's cool, do you know where you're going to go yet?"
"Well I was thinking of Sydney, but you know, there's too many gooks there"

:suicide:

It just comes out of nowhere.

Overheard a nurse or ward assistant or something talking about a patient who brought $500 cash in with them and didn't want to let it be taken and put in a safe.
Other person: were they Jewish?

• Locked thread