Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The frames are technically the same length on each side, it's just that the center panel isn't centered on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
And we're back! So how about that new M15 Ajani? :fap:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Welcome back forums. Here are spoilers you may have missed:

Aaron Forsyth'e article on the stuff in M15. Long story short: they decided to just go hog wild with ideas.
Maro's article on M15, not a lot of new information.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Nu Ajani text:

Ajani the Steadfast
3W
Planeswalker - Ajani
[+1]: Up to one target creature gains +1/+1, lifelink, vigilance, and first strike until end of turn.

[-2]: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control, and put one loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control.

[-7]: You get an emblem with "If a source would deal damage to you or a planeswalker you control, prevent all but one damage."

"At the beginning of your combat step, if you control the creature with the greatest power on the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls until the end of your turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. (Or something along these lines)"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Holy crap the forums work! :dance: :krad:

Where to start?

6 walkers confirmed so new jace, nissa, ajani, and garruk. Reprints of Liliana Vess and Chandra Pyromaster.

Card image gallery: http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-2015-core-set-card-set-archive-products-game-info

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Yay, Hot Soup is real!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think this Ajani might be better than Mentor of Heroes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm loving that new Nissa.

Both pluses are pretty good on their own and Ult dumping a decks worth of Basic Lands onto the field that are also 4/4s for the rest of the game seems pretty crazy.

e:

quote:

[-7]: You get an emblem with "If a source would deal damage to you or a planeswalker you control, prevent all but one damage."

Free automatic Forcefield. :stonk:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 26, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like the Game Designer cards. I don't think any of them are super amazing, but the idea that they reference the designer's game (or whatever they're known for) is rad. I'm a bit disappointed in Edmund McMillen's card though, I was hoping it'd more obviously reference The Binding of Isaac or Meat Boy. Does anyone know what it does reference?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

I need a playset or two of these.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

I like the fact that he's only got one colored mana symbol.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I am pretty hyped about obelisk of urd, turning all my creatures into very scary creatures and turning launch the fleet tokens into 3/3s sounds lovely.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, the 4 mana cost plus to single white mana is just super strong.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BJPaskoff posted:

I like the Game Designer cards. I don't think any of them are super amazing, but the idea that they reference the designer's game (or whatever they're known for) is rad. I'm a bit disappointed in Edmund McMillen's card though, I was hoping it'd more obviously reference The Binding of Isaac or Meat Boy. Does anyone know what it does reference?

Someone one on salvation said it was pretty similar to Issac's mom, but idk.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Less devotion to Heliod is good for Ajani considering he is wearing Elspeth's cloak.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Edmund McMillen already has talked about his card and the process actually:

quote:

I GOT TO HELP DESIGN A MAGIC CARD!

i honestly never thought id type those words. It has been a dream of mine for a very long time, see magic the gathering was probably one of the most important games in my life.. especially when it comes to game design.

I got into MTG when i was 13 (94ish), my best friend AJ told me that i needed to see this card game that was like DnD, where you could summon demons and dragons to fight along side you. i watched these kids playing at the local boys club and when i saw Keldon Warlord hit the table i was floored… “he gets bigger the more creatures you have in play” AJ said. i was already thinking of amazing deck ideas based on the card that play a lot of little creatures so the warlord came out mega huge!… i was sold, i went to a comic shop and picked up a starter deck of revised (because unlimited starters were 4 bucks more!) and my love affair with magic was born.

2 years ago i was lucky enough to be one of quite a few other game devs to be asked to help design a card for the next core set, M15. i had a hobby of designing magic cards, myself and a few other game dev friends of mine actually designed a whole fake set of cards just for the hell of it one month.. so when i was asked to submit a few card ideas i went through my notes and sent in a cycle of cards i called “the children”.

the cycle was a series of 1 drop creatures in each color that were designed to be rare, think 1 drop titans.

i cant find my notes for all 5, but the 3 i submitted to wizards were these.

Blue Child-

U

t: untap target land you control, you may only do this when its not your turn

0/2

Green Child-

G

Flash, when this creature takes damage put a +1+1 counter on it

0/3

Black Child-

B

T: pay 1 life put a +1+1 counter on this

T: remove X counters from this to do X damage to target creature or player

1/1

I really liked the Blue Child a lot, but it wasnt an ability wizards wanted to print in a core set and leaned more towards the Green and Black cards. in the end i decided to focus on the black 1 drop because i felt it was a lot more interesting.

the cards name became Cruel Sadist, a psychotic child that feeds off the player to grow stronger then unleashes it on creatures or players, i had pushed the idea of the card being a succubus or vampire type creature that would drink your blood and spit it at stuff, but wizards liked the idea of a crazed child assassin a lot more.

the card was designed to be kind of like a
Guul Draz Assassin that could possibly protect itself a bit earlier and had more options late game. i really like reactionary decks, i could see myself playing it in a blue black control deck that waited till the eot with a counter spell, but if nothing was played then i put a counter on my guy to raise the threat. it could also be a great anti green card, killing off any early game mana elves and the like.

i like cards that give me a lot of options, killing creatures, growing larger, damaging players or just being an agro 1 drop were all options so this was the card i wanted to push through.

sadly my design was a but too OP and needed to be taken down a few pegs. the design team played around with the card, adding a black mana to each of its abilities and even moving it down to an uncommon to see how it played there. There was a great deal of back and forth on the card but in the end this was the final design for Cruel Sadist.

Remind you of anyone?

Not exactly the micro titan i had planned, but im sure she will find a home somewhere.

it was great working with the team, i learned a lot about the design process and how much testing actually goes into these sets.. i now understand why they make them 2 years in advance. its such a huge honor to have been a part in one of the best design games of all time and look forward to drafting the hell out of this set.

xoxo

-Edmund

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
m15 looks like a really good set for training grounds shenanigans. soon, my playset of training grounds will skyrocket in value! It only gets better the more creature there are in magic with activated abilities!

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think the problem with this Ajani is the same as others- without support, he does nothing. Mentor of Heroes would dig for gas if you played him on an empty board, and boost his loyalty while doing so. I like his "put a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control", though, I think that's a really cool area of design they haven't explored yet.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rogue 7 posted:

I think the problem with this Ajani is the same as others- without support, he does nothing. Mentor of Heroes would dig for gas if you played him on an empty board, and boost his loyalty while doing so. I like his "put a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control", though, I think that's a really cool area of design they haven't explored yet.

It's just more fuel for the Superfriends Fire. I want to see a Standard Superfriends deck by the time Khans cycles in. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rogue 7 posted:

I agree with this. It's bad on an empty board. I don't find Mentor of Heroes that strong so I'm factoring that into it. It's ultimate is definitely much better than Mentor of Heroes'.

Cernunnos posted:

It's just more fuel for the Superfriends Fire. I want to see a Standard Superfriends deck by the time Khans cycles in. :v:

Most of that depends on how good this new Jace is.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 26, 2014

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Cernunnos posted:

I'm loving that new Nissa.

Both pluses are pretty good on their own and Ult dumping a decks worth of Basic Lands onto the field that are also 4/4s for the rest of the game seems pretty crazy.

Yeah, I thought she was a little boring at first until I reread that her +1 was permanent. Darksteel citadel pairs nicely with that one.

I'm liking most of the outside designer cards, but is aggressive mining at all useful? Seems like it would hurt to much to play it early and mid/late game there's better cards to draw that won't hamper your ability to cast them. I guess it would work decently in a slower limited environment.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm surprised David Sirlin of all people designed such a scrub-tier card. It won't be played in standard, and for that, he should be ashamed :colbert:.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zorak posted:

Its too bad it looks really bad :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mortimer posted:

Even if it didn't cost a life every time you put a counter on it would still be unplayable.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

I read that, but the "Remind you of anyone?" line makes me think it's a reference to one of his games, but I'm drawing a blank.

Bugsy posted:

Someone one on salvation said it was pretty similar to Issac's mom, but idk.

I think that's just the go-to comparison for a female character of Edmund's. Any comparison to Isaac's mom starts and stops at her being female, however, so it could be anyone.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I was all set to stream with no audience, and then the forums came back up. More Vintage Masters at http://hitbox.tv/tzir in about a minute and a half.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Yeah, I thought she was a little boring at first until I reread that her +1 was permanent. Darksteel citadel pairs nicely with that one.

I'm liking most of the outside designer cards, but is aggressive mining at all useful? Seems like it would hurt to much to play it early and mid/late game there's better cards to draw that won't hamper your ability to cast them. I guess it would work decently in a slower limited environment.

I'm pretty sure Mining reads "I WIN" if you have seismic assault out in the loam deck.

Mortimer posted:

2BBB and 1 life to deal one damage to a creature is pretty bad. I mean Autonomaton grows easier.

e:

And a few more that got posted today:

:frogout:

Black Cat, Crucible of Fire, and Razorfoot Griffin get reprints.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 26, 2014

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Even if it didn't cost a life every time you put a counter on it would still be unplayable.

It seems quite powerful in limited, though, too bad it's a rare rather than uncommon.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

It looks like this is the Garruk card art. From here: http://wpn.wizards.com/en/node/2281 where the other walker arts are all there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Devouring light is a HORSE.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"Your creatures can help cast this spell" is so cute. :3:

Bugsy posted:

2BBB and 1 life to deal one damage to a creature is pretty bad. I mean Autonomaton grows easier.

That too. Edmund's created one of my favorite games (Isaac), so I didn't want to bash his card, but it's really bad. It grows painfully and slowly, and then it has to tap again and remove all those +1/+1 counters just to maybe kill a creature. I still want to get a foil and have him sign it.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Cruel Sadist is a Chronomaton that can kill creatures, that's really good in limited. And with convoke being the returning mechanic, a good 1 drop probably goes up in value a bit.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I read that, but the "Remind you of anyone?" line makes me think it's a reference to one of his games, but I'm drawing a blank.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Eve from Binding of Isaac. She hurts herself to get stronger, then murders someone, paralleling Eve's get-hurt-to-actually-do-any-damage playstyle. Edmund also said she's his favorite character, so it makes sense that he'd try and reference her.

Also, we seem to have overlooked the most important thing: sliver art isn't just the goddamn Predator this time! From Doug Beyer's Tumblr:

quote:

quote:

Judging by the sliver hive art, it seems that the m14 redesign has been discarded. Can you confirm or deny it?
Based on player feedback, we generally pulled back from the M14 look and aimed the M15 slivers less humanoid and more bestial. But there’s individual variation. Some look entirely retro, as on M15’s Sliver Hive. Some are more humanoid, using the ”rearrangeable plates” concept from M14’s design. Some split the difference, lying somewhere between the M14 look and the old look, carving out some new space. You’ll see what I’m talking about when more of M15 has been previewed. But overall M15 represents a visual shift away from the look of M14’s slivers.
The sliver art change is the only time I have ever actually gotten Mad At Wizard Poker, so I'm super happy that they're partially walking it back.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
LSV's preview card for tomorrow is apparently a Planeswalker, and supposedly super sick.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

zorak posted:

This is the first time in a looong time dwarves have been even referenced in mtg right?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bugsy posted:

This is the first time in a looong time dwarves have been even referenced in mtg right?

First time since Eventide, I think?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

LSV's preview card for tomorrow is apparently a Planeswalker, and supposedly super sick.

I bet it's Jace, Living Punmaster.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Haha, what?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Minority Deport posted:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Eve from Binding of Isaac. She hurts herself to get stronger, then murders someone, paralleling Eve's get-hurt-to-actually-do-any-damage playstyle. Edmund also said she's his favorite character, so it makes sense that he'd try and reference her.

Also, we seem to have overlooked the most important thing: sliver art isn't just the goddamn Predator this time!

Yeah I was going to say, it's probably Eve. If I was a game designer who got a chance to make a Magic card, I'd do it with one of my two flagship characters. But then again, I'm not a guy who made games based on a naked crying child delving into a Freudian nightmare to escape his insane mother or a skinless permanently-bleeding square man trying to rescue his girlfriend across fields of salt and sawblades, so it's clear to say that Edmund and I don't necessarily think alike.

The Sliver art change is great. Odds are, the M15 Slivers that most closely resemble the M14 Slivers will still be closer to what M14's Slivers should have been.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

I'm glad I bought a whole bunch of Shadowborn Apostles in time for Super Standard. This is happening, whether it wins games or not. It's happening.

(edit: also, thank Christ the forums are back. Most productive few days I've had in a while, and it was just killing me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

Fetches confirmed for Ducks block?

Printing a shuffle-hoser here makes sense if they expect players to be doing a lot of shuffling over the next little while.

• Locked thread