Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom USA has straight up said Sengoku BASARA is done in the West. They put a ton of effort into localizing SB3 and it cratered, even after marketing, a PSN demo, and a budget price. SB4 is supposedly super Japanese intensive too, so it's not even an import friendly game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I didn't know that, but am not especially surprised.

That's a shame. I wonder how the franchise as a whole fared in the West compared to the Warriors series, specifically.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Its interesting to see how the moves have gotten so much more ridiculous since DW4/Orochi 1 and Sengoku Basara appearing as competition. Cao Cao summoning ghost versions of himself to fight with him and such.

My favorite part about it is that the shadow he sends out is doing Cao Cao's old school DW5 moveset.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I didn't know that, but am not especially surprised.

That's a shame. I wonder how the franchise as a whole fared in the West compared to the Warriors series, specifically.

Probably was off to a bad start when the first game was rebranded and altered to be Devil Kings, and the 2nd was never released over here. I wasn't even aware that it was supposed to be a competitor to the Warriors series till the 3rd game came out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ditto. It makes me sad because the one we did get was really fun, in a different sort of way from DW. I do hope SW4 gets a PC port and comes out over here at least. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the end I didn't enjoy Basara 4 very much. While Musou is good about showing the connections and relationships between characters and actions, Basara is basically a fighting game story; you beat all the other characters in whatever order and then get a unique ending cutscene.

Also, while Musou has some degree of seriousness to it, and Basara did too up to about the second game, it's just complete anime silliness all the way through now.

edit: also no playable Kasuga because they have brain damage or something. They seem to recognize that lots of people like her, but stopped making her playable.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 23, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I just picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends on the Steam Sale, and I've got some questions.

1.) Most importantly, for some reason I can't play on any resolution other than 1280x720. My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080, and my computer is (or should be) more than capable of running the game at this resolution, but even with all the options turned as low as possible, I'm getting sub-15 FPS on any resolution but 1280x720. Other people don't seem to have this problem?

2.) I haven't played a DW game since 3. Back then, characters had unique weapons that governed their movesets. You had sword dudes, cudgel dudes, etc. Now anybody can use any weapon. What makes characters different? It seems like there's some kind of weapon affinity- some skills refer to characters' "favorite weapons"- and there's a compatibility rating with the weapons, but they're all the same for every character from what I can tell. They were all 1-star, now they're all 2-star.

3.) That guard break crystal or whatever that appears when using certain weapons, the tutorial seemed to suggest that it appeared when using weapon elements that enemies were strong against. That seems backwards, shouldn't you be rewarded for using the element they're weak to? Also, is there a way to tell which element they're using?

4.) Sometimes enemy officers do this like, really slow attack. They slow down, and eventually do a strong attack. It's not that weapon-switch one where you can counter them and the green things appear. What is that, just some dumb, really easy to evade move? Also, sometimes when I'm attacking an enemy, whether they're blocking or not, they don't seem to have any response at all. There's no hitstun, no animation, and from what I can tell, no to no damage. What's the deal with that?

5.) What governs when your horse is going to rear up? I thought it wasn't able to go through large crowds, but sometimes it does that anyways.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

1) Can't help you there, sorry. This is probably the worst answer to open up with. :shobon:

2) A character's favored weapon is the one with the "Ex" letters on the weapon icon in the inventory screen. Characters can use their EX moves with these weapons.

3) Yeah, use weapons that are stronger than the enemies'. You can check which element by looking at the color of the weapon icon, either above your own life bar for yours or under the selected enemy's life bar on the top of the screen for theirs. Blue/Heaven > Green/Earth > Red/Man > Blue/Heaven

4) That's what happens when the AI does of Charge attacks. You'll notice you have the same "charging up" effect on your hands when you use strong/triangle attacks too, just much more sped up. It's slow to give you a visual cue to block/interrupt/Switch Counter (when appropriate). EDIT: And if you can't flinch an enemy with your attacks, that either means your weapon's affinity is elementally weak to theirs or you're fighting Lu Bu at Hulao Gate.

5) Whenever your horse hits troops it slows down a little. When you hit enough troops to slow down enough, you can't knock anybody over and instead your horse says no. Some horses don't have this problem and will just plow through everybody, like Red Hare. (Not Puccho Red Hare, the proper one.)

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 26, 2014

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

T.G. Xarbala posted:

5) Whenever your horse hits troops it slows down a little. When you hit enough troops to slow down enough, you can't knock anybody over and instead your horse says no. Some horses don't have this problem and will just plow through everybody, like Red Hare. (Not Puccho Red Hare, the proper one.)

That's the difference between Red Hare and Puccho Red Hare? I've had no difference with Puccho Red Hare...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

That's the difference between Red Hare and Puccho Red Hare? I've had no difference with Puccho Red Hare...

Well both Red Hares have high Speed and a Power stat outmatched only by Elephants so it's rare for Puccho Red Hare to ever get stalled anyway. It doesn't have the Sprint - Penetrate (never slow down while running people over) skill on its card, though, but I'll admit I haven't tested exactly what Puccho Red Hare's limit is since I have the proper version.

And I know that proper Red Hare never, ever stalls.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well both Red Hares have high Speed and a Power stat outmatched only by Elephants so it's rare for Puccho Red Hare to ever get stalled anyway. It doesn't have the Sprint - Penetrate (never slow down while running people over) skill on its card, though, but I'll admit I haven't tested exactly what Puccho Red Hare's limit is since I have the proper version.

And I know that proper Red Hare never, ever stalls.

Okay. I never did get Red Hare because I bought Puccho and I'm like, "why bother?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay. I never did get Red Hare because I bought Puccho and I'm like, "why bother?"

True, the DLC animals are pretty good. Proper Red Hare also has the skill Sprint - Recovery so he heals you if you're close to death but that's probably more useful when you don't have a bunch of custom weapons with Jubilation/Recovery on them.

That said, to anyone who hasn't gone into Ambition mode yet but has been considering using horse-friendly weapons (Harp, Lance, Flame Bow, etc.) after reading this thread, you should nab Shadow Runner (one 30-battle chain). You're invincible to arrows and constantly recover Musou while riding him and can't be forcibly knocked off.

He's basically Cai Wenji's dream mount.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Finished the Shu regular route while the forums were dead. Is it just me, or are 90% of the characters in it pretty awful?

At least Guan Yinping's hilarious.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Finished the Shu regular route while the forums were dead. Is it just me, or are 90% of the characters in it pretty awful?

That's about par for Shu's course, but yeah, a step down from 7. Benevolence!

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 26, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

KoldPT posted:

Awful as in two dimensional, or awful as in stupid hypocrites? Cause there is both going around.

That said, Liu Bei on the warpath against Wu to the point where everyone who knew better were literally dragging him away from the battlefield (well, in 7 at least) was the only time he was remotely interesting.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 26, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Awful as in two dimensional, or awful as in stupid hypocrites? Cause there is both going around.

Both of those, and also bad to play. Huang Zhong's still a boring one-note and not as cool as Yuan, the sworn brothers' kids are boring as hell, Ma Dai's weapon isn't ridiculous enough...

I guess Pang Tong's pretty great though!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Xu Shu, but he's barely a Shu character. Also I like all their spear dudes and have a soft spot for Ma Chao.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How is Xing cai boring, her ex is surfboarding on her shield.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Back in the DW3 days, when I first discovered the series, Guan Yu was the first one I actually beat the normal campaign with (after a number of false starts), so I've got a soft spot for him even though he is kind of slow and boring.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xu Shu struck me as sounding like a giant goober when he was explaining how to break into the formation-fort and my opinion of him didn't improve much when I saw how mopey he was. Liu Shan's pretty entertaining, though, and Xingcai is pretty cool in concept if somewhat flat as a character and with a mediocre moveset. I guess Guan Yu is sort of neat how he's presented as a literal divine figure, and Guan Yinping as goofy-Hercules demigoddess is pretty funny.

The fact that Shu never really gets called out on all of its backstabbing and that the story bends over backwards to present them as squeaky clean in spite of, well, all evidence to the contrary renders them a lot less interesting compared to the other factions. Imagine if Zhuge Liang were less Gandalf the White and more Gandalf the Grey, or even went full-on trickster mentor.

Honestly, I vastly prefer the Jin characters and, to a lesser extent, Wu.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remain baffled how over the years and with the big characterization shakeup of 6 onwards Liu Bei has somehow only gotten MORE two-dimensional and flat.

Just copy-paste Three Kingdoms 2010 Liu Bei or something, jeez.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

In Japanese everyone says some variant of the traditional line, "enemy officer defeated!". The difference in delivery by the voice actor is what makes them all distinctive.

Just like Gust and Barrels.

And Xing Cai have a decent wave clear, buff and a grab for block heavy officers.

Also which weapons actually proc Cyclone? General's sword did nothing to chip Lu Bu's guard.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 26, 2014

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

gyrobot posted:

Also which weapons actually proc Cyclone? General's sword did nothing to chip Lu Bu's guard.
It's procced on charge attacks like lots of the other elemental stuff. It's also mislabeled, it doesn't break guard. It damages through guard (and only through guard). This lets attacks that hit alot do absurd damage - eg/ the throwing knives (Wang Yuanji) C6 basically one shot anyone guarding.

Apparently this is a change from base DW8 (where it did break guard but did no damage) which renders the tier list linked a page back obsolete.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone else have this issue on the PC version where Jia Xu's musuo attack makes the game crash?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's local co-op only so you'll need a second gamepad or to share your keyboard.

Which is hosed up, yes, and further proof that Koei Tecmo and Omega Force probably only released DW8 on Steam on a lark to test the waters. Because the only explanation I can see for DW8 having online co-op over PSN but not Steam is that they didn't even try.

I guess I should have mentioned, I have two gamepads. Even with two gamepads, I have no idea how to get a second player into story, and it seems halfassed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there any reason to hold onto weaker versions of weapons? There's a cap and I've just been selling the lower end when I get a new one of the same affinity.

The Fattest PI posted:

I guess I should have mentioned, I have two gamepads. Even with two gamepads, I have no idea how to get a second player into story, and it seems halfassed.

I think hit f12 when you're at character select? That's what it says to do on my screen anyways.

edit: didnt read that you already tried it. ugh :(

there are a bunch of things that cant ever be done with my controller for whatever reason. that's one, starting the game is another minor one

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 26, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Verviticus posted:

is there any reason to hold onto weaker versions of weapons? There's a cap and I've just been selling the lower end when I get a new one of the same affinity.

Not really, unless you're going to use them as fusion fodder. And even then you can probably just buy other weapons with the skills you want and use those. So there's no real need to hold onto anything. May as well keep the star-uniques since they're rare, but that's it.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
The last DW I played prior to 8 was 4, and there's two things I really miss from it: post-battle summaries (watching the little arrows zoom around the map), and not losing everything you gained on a story mode stage when you die. Holy crap it's annoying as hell when you're 20 mins into a map and die and welp, no level ups or skill unlocks or items for you!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Professor Moriarty posted:

The last DW I played prior to 8 was 4, and there's two things I really miss from it: post-battle summaries (watching the little arrows zoom around the map), and not losing everything you gained on a story mode stage when you die. Holy crap it's annoying as hell when you're 20 mins into a map and die and welp, no level ups or skill unlocks or items for you!

If you feel there is any chance you might die, make in-battle saves. It costs nothing but a few seconds of your time and will save you a lot of frustration.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man talking about Shu, Zhang Fei is the only thing that gets me through them for a while, because at least he's got some character that's not just dragging on the MY BENEVOLENCE spiel. It's something that thanks to the crazy ~Good Guy~ job they ran on them, the biggest bastard among them is also the most likable.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I picked up DW8XL- Lu Bu edition the other day and I have to say, I'm enjoying it more than I did 7 and 7XL, the Big Guy really doesn't like tactics or strategy in battles, no wonder his tactician chose death at the end of it.

Since when did Lu Bu have a daughter as well, is she new for this game?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Lu Lingqi is an 8XL character,

Regarding characters, my personal pet peeve is that I hate Liu Bei the character but find his moveset pretty fun while Big Poppa Cao Cao is my favorite character but I find him dreadfully boring to play. Sending out shadow Cao Caos is a fun gimmick but it doesn't feel that great to me, not to mention that his musous are Ice Storm, Jump Ice Storm, and Lame Shadow Combo. I end up just giving him the police brutality baton. Lu Xun pulls off the double gimmick a lot better in my opinion.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Judge Tesla posted:

He historically does, but her name and likeness are from Dynasty Tactics 2 and this is her first appearance in Warriors.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can anyone explain what the Fury property on weapons does? I somehow got through every story mission without figuring it out. I never noticed anything different about musou attacks with it on. Or in rage mode.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Apparently she got a mention in a prior DW game but this is indeed her first regular appearance, and as usual The Ravages of Time had a cooler depiction.

Pureauthor posted:

I remain baffled how over the years and with the big characterization shakeup of 6 onwards Liu Bei has somehow only gotten MORE two-dimensional and flat.

Just copy-paste Three Kingdoms 2010 Liu Bei or something, jeez.
This is kind of the case for a bunch of the non-Shu cast too though... wasn't it 7 when they went full-hog on replacing characters with animu cliches?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of history and 3K canon, rarely have I been this disappointed by the truth of history.

Sindai posted:

Can anyone explain what the Fury property on weapons does? I somehow got through every story mission without figuring it out. I never noticed anything different about musou attacks with it on. Or in rage mode.

Fury activates True Musou which basically means you get an extra Fire element proc on it (enemies will glow orange, meaning they're taking extra fire damage) and it makes your Musou a little bit stronger. You can also True Musou naturally if you're at red health.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Brony Hunter posted:

That's my recommended order too. Just be sure to change the difficulty to something harder once you start blitzing through stages too easily or you have really powerful weapons. You can change difficulty mid campaign by going to Stage Select > Play All.

By the time you complete a story or two you should be ready for Hard mode, unless maybe you're new to the series.

Some hypothetical conditions can be a bitch to complete, but via Stage Select you can attempt them on an easier difficulty if it helps.

Also, play Ambition mode whenever you want, but just be warned it does get VERY grindy and it's not for everyone. I'd recommend doing as many Stories as you can first.

A: if i do the stage select thing, do I lose all the progress I made in the story as implied? like do I have to redo a bunch of missions

B: what's with the stars and branches on different levels when looking at select stage?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Verviticus posted:

A: if i do the stage select thing, do I lose all the progress I made in the story as implied? like do I have to redo a bunch of missions

B: what's with the stars and branches on different levels when looking at select stage?

A: No. You only lose any active in-mission saves. All progress through the story is still there.

B: The stars show ways to cause changes to the timeline. The top branch is the Historical Route, the bottom is the Ahistorical Route, unlocked by completing specific star events earlier in the timeline.

The stars will show what is needed to complete them after you complete one of the two story lines fully.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Read some of their entries about Sun Quan, that'll cheer you up.

"Zhang Zhao was Sun Quan’s most trusted adviser, but the two often argued. At one point, the two had a serious disagreement and Zhang Zhao angrily stormed out of the court and went home. He refused to come out and speak to anyone until Sun Quan overturned a poor decison he had made.

Sun Quan went to Zhang Zhao’s house to apologize, but Zhang Zhao would not go out to meet with him. Instead he barricaded the door so that Sun Quan couldn’t force his way in. Quan responded to this in a very reasonable fashion: He set the gate of Zhang Zhao’s house on fire. He set part of the man’s house on fire so that he could force him to come outside, so that he could apologize to him.

But Zhang Zhao had known Sun Quan since he was a child and decided to prove that he was the most stubborn man in all of China. He completely ignored the flaming gate and wouldn’t go outside.

After a while, Quan realized that this totally rational plan wasn’t going to work and he had servants douse the flames. He then stayed outside of Zhang Zhao’s house for several hours, just waiting. Eventually, Zhang Zhao did come out of his home and the two apologized to each other and became friends again."

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'll always love Wu for the majority of their strategies being setting things on fire. Course I'm partial towards them since they were the first faction I ever played when I got into this series and how their leadership has a tendency to die in continual succession in their storyline. I should really get around to reading the Three Kingdoms sometime. Is the newest translation okay, or should I just track down the Roberts translation?