Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No matter how this all goes down, there's no way this doesn't end with Old Nick dead so Fury Jr. can be King Eyepatch in 616.

I do like his base full of LMDs because it reminds me of that level in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 where the base is Fury's secret hideout and it's populated by a bunch of Furys doing menial poo poo on computers in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I don't want to live in a world where cigar chomping former Howling Commando leader Nick Fury isn't in the 616. Doing cool spy poo poo, being grizzled as gently caress, and turning wheels within wheels within wheels. :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Barry Convex posted:

If 1 is the case, wouldn't that mean that the Infinity Formula never existed? Wouldn't that invalidate Fury Jr.'s origin?

It all depends on how far Fury's lies and secrets go :shepface:

The only thing that makes me think they'll do the "he's always been old or has been old for ages" is that apparently Fury or whomever has been going around killing for years is too long for it to match up fully with Battle Scars.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maybe it's just super-cancer from smoking too many stogies while breathing in jet-cycle exhaust. It's probably how he'd want to go, if not by complication from punching Hitler too hard.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Barry Convex posted:

If 1 is the case, wouldn't that mean that the Infinity Formula never existed? Wouldn't that invalidate Fury Jr.'s origin?

Nick Fury, Jr. is actually the SON OF AN LMD.

Book it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old Fury should die, but in his last act he uploads all of his memories into the head of his son, effectively wiping his memory making him become Old Fury, and getting rid of our second, unnecessary Nick Fury.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I was 99% sure it was an LMD but for some reason everyone at my LCS thought they'd actually finally killed off the real Nick Fury (oddly enough more out of a hate for Bucky than cynicism regarding Samuel L. Fury). I mean, having your hand shot off and then being decapitated with a machete would be pretty loving manly but simultaneously too unceremonious for Nick "Goddamn" Fury.

Little Mac posted:

Nick Fury, Jr. is actually the SON OF AN LMD.

Book it.

A decoy so lifelike it can create bastards by proxy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

First Bass posted:

I was 99% sure it was an LMD but for some reason everyone at my LCS thought they'd actually finally killed off the real Nick Fury (oddly enough more out of a hate for Bucky than cynicism regarding Samuel L. Fury). I mean, having your hand shot off and then being decapitated with a machete would be pretty loving manly but simultaneously too unceremonious for Nick "Goddamn" Fury.

A decoy so lifelike it can create bastards by proxy.

How can they hate Bucky? They also hinted it earlier in the issue with him not getting a flash of secrets.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There is no way of killing Nick Fury that I'll ever find acceptable. You should never even be standing in the same room as him, and if you are it's because he's disguised as the janitor and you have no loving clue, until you notice that he was mopping the floor all day and that coffee stain from the morning is still there. Anyone getting close to him should be already finding the trail and gone cold.

Basically Nick Fury is like Keyser Söze except he runs a spy network instead of a criminal empire.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Catching up on this now. I love how Original Sin is this grim, noir mystery told super straight, but full of goofy poo poo like a trail of bullet casings in space, a murdered planet, eyeball face and glowing green bullets. Really enjoying it so far.

Have any of the tie-ins been really good?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 23, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

Catching up on this now. I love how Original Sin is this grim, noir mystery told super straight, but full of goofy poo poo like a trail of bullet casings in space, a murdered planet, eyeball face and glowing green bullets. Really enjoying it so far.
That's really Aaron's deal. Wolverine and the X-men is known for being goofy and over-the-top, but it's also pretty weird and grotesque at times. I think this book's tone will be defined by the fact that, yes, Bucky Barnes was carrying around a decapitated head, but he also swung it around and smacked someone in the face with it during a fight.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rocket and Punisher need to have a team-up soon.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Rocket and Punisher need to have a team-up soon.

Throw Doc Strange in there and we have the best movie of MCU Phase 3.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's really Aaron's deal. Wolverine and the X-men is known for being goofy and over-the-top, but it's also pretty weird and grotesque at times. I think this book's tone will be defined by the fact that, yes, Bucky Barnes was carrying around a decapitated head, but he also swung it around and smacked someone in the face with it during a fight.

This is the writer who had the fall of man and usurpation of Heaven thwarted by a flaming skeleton on a shark and Ghost Hoss and his Penance Fist.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Original Sin: Hulk vs. Iron Man #1 was pretty cool. Is Banner and Stark's pre-superhero friendship precedented in the comics or are they just drawing from the movies?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

Original Sin: Hulk vs. Iron Man #1 was pretty cool. Is Banner and Stark's pre-superhero friendship precedented in the comics or are they just drawing from the movies?

It's in the Indestructible Hulk Annual.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Unmature posted:

Because of the film they are now science bros or whatever until Avengers 2 breaks them up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's still a relationship that makes sense, the two biggest brains in the defense industry should at least cross paths.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, it's not exactly CHEESE Coulson level of incongruous change.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I saw on Diamond that this week had some kind of "Original Sin 3.1". I didn't see it in my shop though. Anyone get that or can just clue me in on what it was?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

IUG posted:

I saw on Diamond that this week had some kind of "Original Sin 3.1". I didn't see it in my shop though. Anyone get that or can just clue me in on what it was?

It is the Hulk Vs. Iron Man series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

IUG posted:

Marvel are renaming their tie-in series in hopes that more people will buy them. The Thor and Loki crossover is being renamed to Original Sin 5.1 as well.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

It's still a relationship that makes sense, the two biggest brains in the defense industry should at least cross paths.

Oh I wasn't complaining, I love it. I was just curious if the movies got it from the comics it vice versa.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Oh I wasn't complaining, I love it. I was just curious if the movies got it from the comics it vice versa.

I believe Michelinie and Layton introduced the idea of Tony befriending Banner and feeling an obligation to help him back in 1980 or so, but I don't think it was ever really a big thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe Michelinie and Layton introduced the idea of Tony befriending Banner and feeling an obligation to help him back in 1980 or so, but I don't think it was ever really a big thing.

Yeah Layton and Michelinie were the first guys to ever do a Bruce Banner and Tony Stark crossover during their run, but other's took up on that idea.

The 1990's Ironman cartoon had a Hulk based episode (though I don't think the Hulk cartoon had an Ironman episode.)

Bruce Jones run on Hulk (long and dull though it was) had an arc focused around Tony and Bruce. Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale actually already did the "Tony Stark was involved in the Gamma Bomb Project" in his Hulk: Grey series.
The other big writer to do a Tony and Bruce crossover was Warren Ellis in the Ultimate Universe, I think it was called Ultimate Human. He had the single best line about their dynamic.

"Ironman is science gone right. The Hulk is science gone wrong."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Another issue of Original Sins and I think I know where its going. Nick Fury was not the shooter, but he is responsible due to his actions. It also seems that he is setting up the people he recruited to take over his weekend job.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

bobkatt013 posted:

Another issue of Original Sins and I think I know where its going. Nick Fury was not the shooter, but he is responsible due to his actions. It also seems that he is setting up the people he recruited to take over his weekend job.

If it's just going to be one guy, I could definitely see this as a good place to use Winter Soldier.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dacap posted:

If it's just going to be one guy, I could definitely see this as a good place to use Winter Soldier.

I could see that Bucky had already taken over for Fury and that's how he knew.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I kind of see this as Bucky taking over Nick Furies job. I've actually really enjoyed most of Original Sin so far. It's been really decent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This secret also makes a lot of sense and not completely offensive like say a Distinguished Competition event that had a murdered mystery and a secret.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Bucky hasn't really had a place in the Marvel U recently, so I'm happy this seems to be where it's heading. It's a more interesting direction than having him turn heel and I'd totally read a Winter Solider: Man on the Wall series about him taking out alien threats.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dacap posted:

Bucky hasn't really had a place in the Marvel U recently, so I'm happy this seems to be where it's heading. It's a more interesting direction than having him turn heel and I'd totally read a Winter Solider: Man on the Wall series about him taking out alien threats.

You really think that they would have Bucky turn heel? He is currently in New Invaders and I hope that Winter Solider: Man on the Wall will be written by Aaron since he does not have any Marvel work after Original Sins ends.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

bobkatt013 posted:

You really think that they would have Bucky turn heel? He is currently in New Invaders and I hope that Winter Solider: Man on the Wall will be written by Aaron since he does not have any Marvel work after Original Sins ends.

It would make sense to turn him grey due to his current status in the movies.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
After reading the newest issue, it almost feels like the impossible has happened. That Nick Fury has become TOO badass.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait is he being taken off Thor?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

Wait is he being taken off Thor?

I'm sure he just forgot. I haven't heard anything about that at least.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I'm sure he just forgot. I haven't heard anything about that at least.

Oh yeah he still is on Thor, but before this he was on Thor and 2 X-men titles. After he is only on Thor, and I am sure he will be given at least one more title.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh yeah he still is on Thor, but before this he was on Thor and 2 X-men titles. After he is only on Thor, and I am sure he will be given at least one more title.

Ok cool. But yeah he should be getting another title and I'd be A ok with him writing Bucky going on inter-dimensional assassination missions.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
That issue was pretty good. Making Fury even more badass than he already was is a feat in itself. I like how this doesn't apparently contradict Hickman's stories in Secret Warriors and tangentially SHIELD but instead, adds on top of them. My only (minor) consistency gripe would be about the Illuminati : he's been doing their job longer and better. And the incursion stuff would totally fall in his scope of action. Then again he's like super old.

Honestly, I'd read any Man on the Wall series, whether it's about Fury's past or his eventual replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really thought Howard Stark was going to unveil Leonardo da Vinci in that Rocky Mountain stronghold.

• Locked thread